• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo confirms no live E3 presentation this year

Nanashrew

Banned
Last year a big media (non-gaming related) asset was pretty much ignoring Nintendo was even present at E3, they only mentioned Sony and Microsoft. I can't remember which one was, NYT, CNN... can't confirm, but was a big one. Yes, the media takes the E3 Live Presentation in their counts, they won't care to coverage a YouTube video made mostly for Nintendo dedicated fans. So yes, Nintendo needs to have a stronger presence into the E3 for the media to notice their presence.

Zelda got a ton of attention though.

You win some you lose some (not that E3 is supposed to be a competition, mind you). Heck, 2014 digital event and Treehouse live was the most talked about thing with Splatoon and Mario Maker. Beating out Sony and MS by huge margins across social medias. It doesn't matter how it's presented so long as the information gets out and and in an accessible manner for people. It's the internet age.

Unless you are a member of the media and sitting in the audience, what the fuck is the difference between a pre-recorded presentation and live? Applause? Big deal. Content can be showcased in a better manner in a pre-recorded presentation. It's that simple.

The live audience adds to the atmosphere of the event. Its the same thing in sports games.
All you have to do is look at how amazing the Sony conference was last year, or the year nintendo did the zelda orchestra
its different watching something live versus knowing you're watching a pre-recorded video

Shaanyboi

Banned
The live audience adds to the atmosphere of the event. Its the same thing in sports games.
All you have to do is look at how amazing the Sony conference was last year, or the year nintendo did the zelda orchestra
Yeah the cheers from all those employees really alters my hype for a cg trailer.

The Zelda orchestra was great, but that was overall one of Nintendo's worst E3 conferences. It was the year they unveiled Wii U. It was kind of a disaster.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Yeah, I remember being blown away by how engaging 2014 was for Nintendo

Everyone was so optimistic for the WiiU ini 2014, the big games were starting to come out, and they were already started at the tail end of 2013, WiiU sales were selling better than they were before, and then they absolutely nailed E3, everyone was so happy with it, I really think nintendo could have kept that momentum going, i remember all the way until next E3 that people were still pretty up and up on WiiU, especially since splatoon came out that may. It's just a shame really.

TLZ

Banned
Let's get that mushroom kingdom toad audience in. Guaranteed to make a lot of noise.

Lingitiz

Everyone was so optimistic for the WiiU ini 2014, the big games were starting to come out, and they were already started at the tail end of 2013, WiiU sales were selling better than they were before, and then they absolutely nailed E3, everyone was so happy with it, I really think nintendo could have kept that momentum going, i remember all the way until next E3 that people were still pretty up and up on WiiU, especially since splatoon came out that may. It's just a shame really.

Another situation where droughts really sucked the life out of the system. Also some of the first party efforts were hit or miss. When you don't have a lot coming out, you can't afford for a game like Star Fox to get delayed, or have poor critical reception.

The unified software development should be a big help for Switch. It'll give teams more time to make games because the pressure won't be on them to fill certain slots in fear of nothing being on the platform for months at a time. Indies and increased third party support (Japanese specifically) will be a another big help.

Yeah the cheers from all those employees really alters my hype for a cg trailer.

well yeah, all the cheering, shock and surprise from everyone during the FF7R reveal added to how great that reveal was. there's a reason reaction videos have hundreds of thousands of views

In the gaming dedicated media, yes

Well, I mean, no doubt.

But we're talking about what kind of impact a specific live E3 show has on the wider public. Whether Nintendo does a live E3 presentation or a Direct video, they're getting covered. If Nintendo releases a Direct during E3 (they are), the gaming-dedicated media and other media will cover it. The information will get out there. The products they reveal will be marketed same as always. Products revealed and shown during live presentations will get the same kind of marketing.

I'm arguing that the casual, general public doesn't really care about a live E3 show. The greater success of a product does not lie on E3's shoulders.

Chobel

0e3.png

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Expected really. As long as they keep the Treehouse playthroughs alive I'm fine, those are vastly superior for games I'm interested in anyway.

Nanashrew

Banned

Those cited examples are like a decade apart though. Good live shows are so rare, and Nintendo has never been known to make good ones.

I will say that Sony's was great last year. They finally adapted to this current age where we want the info fast and in the now, and not have to listen to all these speeches and sales numbers. I'd go as far as to say that it was structured more like a Nintendo Direct, but in Sony's own way. Something I want to see more of from everyone in the industry.

well yeah, all the cheering, shock and surprise from everyone during the FF7R reveal added to how great that reveal was. there's a reason reaction videos have hundreds of thousands of views

The best part about reaction videos? You don't need a live conference to create one. Some of the best reaction videos on YT are for freakin' Smash Bros. trailers.

Instro

I thought they were heading in the right direction when they did a live performance for the Switch reveal. Guess not. I'm going to take this to mean that they don't have a lot to show at E3, but I guess we'll see.

A shame.

90% of the fun of E3 was all watching together to be overwhelmed by the games, or by the cringe, during those press conferences.

But I guess it doesn't matter in the bigger picture.

Shaanyboi

Banned
Okay. I stared stone-faced and didn't give a shit. Big help that was.

its different watching something live versus knowing you're watching a pre-recorded video
If it means that much to you, just watch your favorite site or Youtuber livesteam the digital event.

Max reacts to Cloud being revealed in Smash

Hype?

As long as they're bringing in some awesome announcements, I'm fine with the Direct formats as per usual. The past few directs have been exceedingly good imo, makes me even more excited for what they decide to do.

The best part about reaction videos? You don't need a live conference to create one. Some of the best reaction videos on YT are for freakin' Smash Bros. trailers.

eh? i'm talking about audience reaction videos like from the E3 presser floor or even the theaters around NA that Sony streams their shows too.

I'm not saying a direct is bad, I just think Nintendo could do better. A live show feels bigger. The Switch even felt bigger because it was a stage presentation

phanphare

Banned

if you're talking about the live atmosphere of an E3 press conference you know you're in a small subset of gamer that actually cares about the live atmosphere of an E3 press conference

the rest of the mass market will get their news through social media headlines and in video content on youtube like anything else

eh? i'm talking about audience reaction videos like from the E3 presser floor or even the theaters around NA that Sony streams their shows too.

I'm not saying a direct is bad, I just think Nintendo could do better. A live show feels bigger. The Switch even felt bigger because it was a stage presentation

Sure, they "feel" bigger, but that doesn't mean they're better. It's just the traditional approach.

Blobbers

disappointing but expected

no matter how "superior" or "preffered" of a format a Direct is, you can't beat the flare of a great conference. Something like the epic God of War opening from last year that transitions into the Kratos reveal and throws everyone into a frenzy simply doesn't happen in a direct.

Good. Let's be honest, the Directs are far more professional, efficient better-produced. Good chunks of the Switch reveal was awkward as fuck despite being the first stage show Nintendo had done in years.

EhoaVash

While I liked their E3 digital event as a Nintendo fan, I feel like those were looked down upon by the mainstream/most media outlets.

Once again E3 is going to be like WrestleMania where the main event is Xbox vs PlayStation while Nintendo's digital event is going to be the preshow of the event to the mainstream

TLZ

Banned
Why does anyone watch how someone else reacts? Lol. All I'm interested in are the games impressing me hoping I get a good reaction out of them.

atr0cious

I'm pretty sure people just want the potential for fuck ups, otherwise the calls for live conferences make no sense. And I guess it's gonna be a yearly tradition that people say Nintendo won't show up cause they have no games, and then Nintendo will be the talk of the week. Treehouse alone will be better than the other conferences, the direct format is just the cherry on top.

While I liked their E3 digital event as a Nintendo fan, I feel like those were looked down upon by the mainstream/most media outlets.

Once again E3 is going to be like WrestleMania where the main event is Xbox vs PlayStation whole Nintendo's digital event is going to be the preshow of the event to the mainstream

Last year, the main event was Xbox Vs. PlayStation.

And then Zelda won everything.

10Qwa9NDpwhSDu.gif

Why does anyone watch how someone else reacts? Lol. All I'm interested in are the games impressing me hoping I get a good reaction out of them.

It can be hilarious and it feels nice to see like-minded folks reacting to something that makes you excited as well.

..................................................but it's not for everyone

People are bringing up an audience and how E3 is determined big or not if there is some live audience for your show. I was just giving counters.

Shaanyboi

Banned
okay? Stare stone-faced and don't give a shit at pre-recorded shows as well then lol
Yeah... that's kinda the point. There is no difference. Acting like that live crowd has any weight on the quality of a show, or even how the media covers it, is incredibly silly. A quality announcement is a quality announcement. A bunch of employees in the crowd cheering at every dumb thing is a bizarre thing to put value on. It's like people who need a laugh track to know when a joke was just told.

Nanashrew

Banned
Ya'll gotta name me some good Nintendo E3's. Nintendo's not quite known for them, and only recently, I feel, have been so much better thanks to the digital event and Treehouse live. As well as whatever other stuff they do on the side like the Smash Tournament or Nintendo World Championships.

I'm arguing that the casual, general public doesn't really care about a live E3 show. The greater success of a product does not lie on E3's shoulders.

You'll be surprised how mainstream E3 turned out these last years. Sure, it's not the key for the success of product but sure is good spotlight for it.

Yeah... that's kinda the point. There is no difference. Acting like that live crowd has any weight on the quality of a show, or even how the media covers it, is incredibly silly. A quality announcement is a quality announcement. A bunch of employees in the crowd cheering at every dumb thing is a bizarre this to put value on.

Yeah... why... how is this even a point of debate lol

We're enthusiasts, we have GAF accounts and we're actually in a position, it seems, to be having this conversation at all. We'd like to think this shit is more important than it actually is.

You'll be surprised how mainstream E3 turned out these last years. Sure, it's not the key for the success of product but sure is good spotlight for it.

The Direct revealing the Switch was apparently a good spotlight, too :p

If Mario Odessey is out this year they could and should do that.

It's a game that would be worthy of that, but let's face it, a large part of why they got away with the BOTW focus last year (beyond its sheer quality) was because the Wii U was dead and we all knew it. It wouldn't be a good look for them to show up at E3 with one single game for their brand-new, just-released system. I want them to drown me in games, baby.

Ya'll gotta name me some good Nintendo E3's. Nintendo's not quite known for them, and only recently, I feel, have been so much better thanks to the digital event and Treehouse live. As well as whatever other stuff they do on the side like the Smash Tournament or Nintendo World Championships.
2004,2006,2009, 2010,2013 and 2014.

2016 can be too depending on how much you like Zelda I guess.

Because their last 2 live E3 were so amazing right? The new format works so much better.

2011 was fine. 2012 was bad but it wasn't beyond saving, you still had stuff like third parties on stage and whatnot. That's like saying 2008 was so bad that they should have stopped when their 2010 presentation was much better than any other one they have made this decade. Directs feel so isolated from the rest of the industry, fans might like it but other than that it only reinforces the sentiment that "Nintendo is for nostalgic fanboys, they have no third party support". The 2014 and 2016 ones were fine as they showed some of their "legendary" games, plus other presentations(2014 mostly) were lacking. 2013 and 2015 were total jokes aside from like the smash reveal. Nintendo may "actually show gameplay" in their presentations but that is only favorably comparable to EA and Ubisoft conferences, when you have actually big announcements to get people excited, that's what builds awareness for your platform. Fans may be satisfied with their 40 minutes of scarce announcements compensated with hours of treehouse but this is simply milking their patience. Look at the public's reaction when they covered games that weren't Zelda/Pokemon/Smash throughout the past few years. You can't say that this format is better when Nintendo is known to have made many great live conferences that provided a much better variety of content.

Top Bottom