• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Direct 2012.9.13 - Sep. 13, 3AM EDT

Wii U Basic - ¥26,250
-White
-8 GB SSD
-Wii U Console
-Wii U Gamepad
-Wii U AC Adapter
-Wii U Gamepad AC Adapter
-HDMI Cable

Wii U Premium - ¥31,500
-Black
-32 GB SSD
-includes Nintendo Premium
-Wii U Console
-Wii U Gamepad
-Wii U AC Adapter
-Wii U Gamepad AC Adapter
-HDMI Cable
-Wii U Console Stand
-Wii U Gamepad Charging Dock
-Wii U Gamepad Stand

New Super Mario Bros. U - ¥5,985
Nintendo Land - ¥4,935
Wii U Pro Controller - ¥5,040
Wii MotionPlus - ¥3,800
Wii Nunchuk - ¥1,800
Wii U Console Stand - ¥315
Wii U Gamepad Stand/Dock Set - ¥1,890
Wii U Gamepad - ¥13,440
Basic sounds fine to me.

4Qq95.png

bwhahaha IT BEGINS
Awesome. He's not wrong either.

EDIT: ah its fake? :(

Satchel

Banned
Which gigabyte of ram controls the wii u pad, the game memory or the system memory, or a combination of the two? I'm guessing you wouldn't need a huge buffer of memory to stream something to a second screen in the first place, though.

Good point.

1GB OS ram split between the console and the Gamepad. As in, for streaming and stuff.

StayDead

I'll be importing the basic. It's much cheaper, I don't need any of the stands and also you can get USB memory for super cheap in the UK.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
still no details about online...
voice chat?, friend lists?, account system?, wiiware and VC transfer and compatibility?
OS level features? achievements?
so many unknowns...

Bolded have already been confirmed. Reggie said system-level achievements aren't in a while back. What do you mean by "friends lists?" 3DS has a friends list system, hell the Wii did too, but the 3DS has updates and notifications and whatnot.

My point is that there's a start to it and can obviously improve as time goes on just like the other systems did. And with Nintendo at least you have the options of using an external hard drive or SD memory card of your own choosing.

We still don't know exactly what we can use an external HDD for, though. If we can run games off of it, great! But this may not be the case.

Sony allows you to use external hard drives too, just not to run games off of. They even allow you to put whatever notebook hard drive you want in your system, if you want to upgrade. Microsoft doesn't allow this, and it won't be an option for Wii U.

KissVibes

Banned
For the majority of the users 32GB will probably last them for the entire life of the console. Who wouldn't want more but it's not like 32GB is going to hold you back. SD cards are dirt cheap compared to the prices that MS and Sony try to rape you with their proprietary memory.

In 2012, premium consoles shouldn't be launching with a pathetic 32GB of space, especially when they want to offer premium buyers discounts on digital purchases. The PlayStation 3 has 160GB of space with it's $250 model and 320GB with their $300 bundles (which also include games). That's not rape (especially when the PS3 takes any laptop drive), that's being smart. Then again, Sony probably wants to make money from online purchases.

Microsoft on the other hand? Sure hard drive prices are a little too high but buying a 320GB drive with a 4GB arcade puts you at a little around over $300. Compared to this, it looks like a damn bargain.

Not to mention that come the holiday both PS3 and 360 will get price drops and bundles. Nintendo can't compete on value this holiday.

PS3 launched at 20GB and 60GB, did they not? This number will most likely increase over time. Again, for the majority of users 32GB will last them for years.

It's 2012, not 2006 and that's still more space being offered than the Wii-U. Why do people keep settling with the mindset that it's okay because of what happened years ago? Are Nintendo sending wii-u's back in time to compete? If so, I guess then this move makes sense. We live in a digital age and if you think 32GB is going to last "the majority", then you're crazy.

I can see why this is fine for many of you considering how pathetic Nintendo has been about online services. I had hoped that them offering full game downloads on 3DS day and date with retail versions (I sure enjoyed not going to the store to buy games) was a sign of them finally "getting it" but obviously they still don't. What are they going to do come next year when Microsoft and Sony make their console announcements? Bump the system up to 64GB? Oh man, don't spoil us Nintendo with all that space.

IrishNinja

Bolded have already been confirmed. Reggie said system-level achievements aren't in a while back. What do you mean by "friends lists?" 3DS has a friends list system, hell the Wii did too, but the 3DS has updates and notifications and whatnot.

hoping for details on this later today, too...sad they werent shown here though.
you know what element of friend codes stay though? Communities, those are a great idea.

Ridley327

We still don't know exactly what we can use an external HDD for, though. If we can run games off of it, great! But this may not be the case.

Sony allows you to use external hard drives too, just not to run games off of. They even allow you to put whatever notebook hard drive you want in your system, if you want to upgrade. Microsoft doesn't allow this, and it won't be an option for Wii U.

If a game download exceeds the 8 gigs that's on the stock Wii U (and there will be at launch, with games like Mass Effect 3), how would you be able to play them?

so1337

XBLA alone has made my Xbox 360 purchase worth it. I can't imagine having had just an arcade. I laughed at anyone who bought the 360 tard pack in the early days.

RomanticHeroX, you missed out on so much. I guess the saying is true, ignorance is bliss.
Couldn't agree more. Most of my favorite titles this year are download-only: Fez, Journey, Trials HD etc.

xemumanic

I dub the Wii U Basic the Wii U Tard Pack.

It's not that much more, and what you get for that little bit extra will save you a lot of money and headaches in the long run, just like the original Premium Xbox 360 did vs the Core.

I think basic owners are going to regret that choice.

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
I haven't used more than 20% of disc space on Ps3 or 360. 32 GB should be enough.

I have filled my 350GB storage on my PS3, so 32GB would certainly not be enough. Luckily I don't buy much stuff from Nintendo online, however if Nintendo changes (or has changed) their e-store policy to tie purchases to an account rather than a piece of hardware then it could be an issue.

Doesn't help when you're playing a 5-player game with the pad and 4 Wiimotes. Then again, if you have 4 Wiimotes then you probably already have a Wii sensor bar. :p

Yeah, Iwata said they weren't including a sensor bar and a wiimote because he expects buyers to already own them with their wiis.

The sensor bar+wiimote pack looked like a pretty good deal, though.

Hero

In 2012, premium consoles shouldn't be launching with a pathetic 32GB of space, especially when they want to offer premium buyers discounts on digital purchases. The PlayStation 3 has 160GB of space with it's $250 model and 320GB with their $300 bundles (which also include games). That's not rape (especially when the PS3 takes any laptop drive), that's being smart. Then again, Sony probably wants to make money from online purchases.

Microsoft on the other hand? Sure hard drive prices are a little too high but buying a 320GB drive with a 4GB arcade puts you at a little around over $300. Compared to this, it looks like a damn bargain.

Not to mention that come the holiday both PS3 and 360 will get price drops and bundles. Nintendo can't compete on value this holiday.

It's 2012, not 2006 and that's still more space being offered than the Wii-U. Why do people keep settling with the mindset that it's okay because of what happened years ago? Are Nintendo sending wii-u's back in time to compete? If so, I guess then this move makes sense. We live in a digital age and if you think 32GB is going to last "the majority", then you're crazy.

I can see why this is fine for many of you considering how pathetic Nintendo has been about online services. I had hoped that them offering full game downloads on 3DS day and date with retail versions (I sure enjoyed not going to the store to buy games) was a sign of them finally "getting it" but obviously they still don't. What are they going to do come next year when Microsoft and Sony make their console announcements? Bump the system up to 64GB? Oh man, don't spoil us Nintendo with all that space.

That's a lot of words and sentences and you don't even mention the PS Vita memory situation, come on.

nickcv

True. I wonder what the speed difference will be between and an external hdd and the flash memory.

nintendo always choose speed over everything else, so i think that the difference will be enough to be noticed.

i don't dislike this so much.

the games you use more often and you want to load almost instantly stay in the internal memory, everything else in the huge usb fridge you bought.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious

The Wii U is using more expensive flash memory, though. 360 and PS3 are by and large using old school Hdds.

its pretty funny too man, check it out

and i dont know if there's a fake reggie but i know the minute he's as scathing, he'll be all over this place and ill follow him too, hahaha

Hahahah this made me giggle- It's rumored that Wii U only has 8GB of internal storage. Luckily, that is 8GB more than what's needed to store all the games worth buying

And I lost it here- You might think I'm angry that Vita is being hacked but really I'm just pleased someone other than Sony is developing something for Vita

Good stuff.

XBLA alone has made my Xbox 360 purchase worth it. I can't imagine having had just an arcade. I laughed at anyone who bought the 360 tard pack in the early days.

RomanticHeroX, you missed out on so much. I guess the saying is true, ignorance is bliss.

Oh, I've bought dozens of XBLA games. I usually just play one game at a time so I don't mind file management, but I'm pretty sure I could fit them all in 32 gigs.

GDGF

Soothsayer
Weird that it doesn't come with a sensor bar

The pad has a sensor bar on it. You probably just need to set it down close to the TV.

Of course this won't work if you need the pad for anything except video. Great for Wii emulation, though.

Edit : already answered lol

Instro

Well, I'm not sure how they could allow for retail game downloads without letting you play games from the external hdd.

xemumanic

I wouldn't if I were you. You can get over a 32GB HD for cheaper.

It's not just about the internal flash. Too many of you are making that a sticking point when it's not. Its about the charging dock, the Nintendo Premium subscription, etc. It's an overall better deal.

EDIT: Woah, I see my previous post was deleted? Mods, did I say something I'm not allowed and it got deleted?
Not trying to step on any toes. I got banned for a week one time for saying something I didn't even know I wasn't allowed to say, but saw used before and after lot.

zroid

Banned
If a game download exceeds the 8 gigs that's on the stock Wii U (and there will be at launch, with games like Mass Effect 3), how would you be able to play them?

This probably will need to be clarified, but it's our current understanding that Wii U digital games can run off of external storage (much like the 3DS), and Wii U is confirmed to support SD cards, USB sticks, external hard drives. No shortage of options, really.

cajunator

Banned
I have filled my 350GB storage on my PS3, so 32GB would certainly not be enough. Luckily I don't buy much stuff from Nintendo online, however if Nintendo changes (or has changed) their e-store policy to tie purchases to an account rather than a piece of hardware then it could be an issue.

What do you guys download that takes up that much space?

The OS allows you to do video chat and web browsing while the game is running in the background and it's constantly running what is basically a Mii Plaza. It's going to use that 1GB.

A good OS could do that in a lot less than 1GB. I don't people are expecting to have a dozen tabs open in their browser while in game.

you can use any SD card you own or external hdd... and whoever is a heavy downloader already owns tons of them.

32 GB on board will be way faster then any other solution (even compared to what microsoft and sony are currently offering, being this one a flash memory).

Just because it's flash based doesn't mean it has SSD speeds. That requires a relatively expensive SSD controller and an array of flash chips. This is most likely a single flash chip with a simple interface, possibly even an internal USB stick like the Xbox 360 Arcade units use. Might have small advantages in random access, but overall a real SATA hard drive like the PS3 and 360 use would be much faster. Even external hard drives will be limited by USB2.0 speeds which max out around 30MBps.

Top Bottom