• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Direct 2012.9.13 - Sep. 13, 3AM EDT

Vibed

Really liking the idea of video chatting with people while playing games, now I just need to convince some friends IRL to buy the system so I'm not always talking to strangers.

AzaK

Nice show! So for extra dosh you get stands and memory. Personally 32GB seems too little for the "core" it's aimed at anyway. I'll get an HDD. Guess for small eshop downloads it could be handy not getting a big SD.

I was hoping for component cable cause I only have one HDMI slot and Apple TV owns that :)

And very cunning of black being more expensive. Get us nerds to fork out.

Overall I liked what I saw!

dwebo

24gb of additional flash memory for $50, additional premium doodads notwithstanding, is downright generous compared to most consumer electronics

Zenaku

I don't see a problem with the storage. I'll use a 500GB external I have spare for everything, and save the 32GB for that special game, say, Monoliths RPG. I may even buy retail and digital together, so I can have the disc as well as have it installed on the SSD.

If a game download exceeds the 8 gigs that's on the stock Wii U (and there will be at launch, with games like Mass Effect 3), how would you be able to play them?

I guess you wouldn't be able to get the digital version then.

I'm holding out hope they allow you to play games installed on an external hard drive. If they do, it will make the decision of which model to buy very tough for me, as $50 for an extra 24 GB of on-board storage is not worth it; however, the premium also comes with that discount program, which may be worth it in the long-run. Also, black is better.

Decisions, decisions!

If they do allow games to be run off an external HDD, though, then piracy will be made even easier on the Wii U than on the Wii (where it is already very easy). Its the main reason I can think of for them not to allow it.

OryoN

It feels like $80 or so would have been more appropriate for the GamePad by itself, but over $150? Damn, that's way too expensive for a controller with a simple resistive screen, speakers, NFC, microphone, stylus, magnetic sensor, gyrosensor, acceleration sensor, wireless module, infared module, flash memory, codec, etc, etc, etc.

Fixed that for ya.

Seriously though, while I agree it's expensive, I'm sure Nintendo would have liked to have it cheaper. They already took steps to get it as cheap as possible, and people blamed them for cutting corners and/or being... err.. cheap.

That said, this controller is jam packed with more ICs and components than I cared to list. Below is an image from the Wii U Gamepad patent.

http://s.wiiugo.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/wii-u-controller-patent-1.png

Ydahs

32GB? REALLY?
Is Nintendo still refusing to take Digital Distribution remotely seriously?

Both NSMBU and NintendoLand will be downloadable titles at launch, so they are taking it seriously. The issue is, they for some reason decided to allow external storage space rather than a large internal HDD.

I don't mind it personally, but it would have been nice to at least go 20GB/60GB.

nickcv

Just because it's flash based doesn't mean it has SSD speeds. That requires a relatively expensive SSD controller and an array of flash chips. This is most likely a single flash chip with a simple interface, possibly even an internal USB stick like the Xbox 360 Arcade units use. Might have small advantages in random access, but overall a real SATA hard drive like the PS3 and 360 use would be much faster. Even external hard drives will be limited by USB2.0 speeds which max out around 30MBps.

while i do think that nintendo's own history proves that they always prefer faster memory, even if it's slower then a regular SATA it still not prone to break up as easily.

D_prOdigy

USB2 would create a horrible bottleneck and would run far slower than an internal HDD. So it's not a good solution.

Can I play this game?

Internal HDDs are fragile and cumbersome, and breaking consoles down the road are worse than reaching into the drawer for that spare SD card you've got lying around.

cajunator

Banned
Retail games take up a bunch of space. Even a lot of download titles on PS3 are pretty huge. I hit my 160GB just by having PS+ for a few months.

I can understand downloadable content, but the whole downloading contents of a game disc onto the HDD seems like a waste. I know that annoyed me with Forza but not a lot of the games I have had to do it. Seems like something the huge games like Mass Effect and COD would require, but I dont play those. This amount of space should work pretty well for what I use it for. Ive been losing interest in gaming pretty steadily since it went beyond putting the disc in and just playing the games. Maybe Im just getting old and should go yell at clouds.

Kong

Banned
Both NSMBU and NintendoLand will be downloadable titles at launch, so they are taking it seriously. The issue is, they for some reason decided to allow external storage space rather than a large internal HDD.

I don't mind it personally, but it would have been nice to at least go 20GB/60GB.

I think the problem is that it implies Nintendo isn't changing their position on large game downloads though, correct?

IrishNinja

still wonder if we'll see an officially branded external HDD - 32 GB of SS is nice, but wont last, so there's one USB plug gone, heh

Those are confirmed to be a part of Nintendo Network :)

totally forgot this, nice! gonna check every OP for a hidden one now =)

Fake account :/

Ani knows; thatsthejoke.jpg

And I lost it here- You might think I'm angry that Vita is being hacked but really I'm just pleased someone other than Sony is developing something for Vita

Good stuff.

my favorite Vita one - "we can't drop the price of the Vita because of low sales resulting from the high price"

Stop being ANTI-SCRUB.

i admit; i paid my debts off, went full-time and started a savings, now i turn on my former people. by this time next year, ill be voting rethuglican

Protome

32GB really is not taking it seriously.
Maybe if they announce that you can shove an internal harddrive in there it'd make more sense, but as is Wii U is going to be abysmal for people who want to download their games.
I can't see this getting the support of the PS3 and 360, I mean people already complain about the file size limitations on 360.

Mardak

Wii U Basic - ~$250
-Wii U Console
-Wii U Gamepad ~$128
-Wii U AC Adapter
-Wii U Gamepad AC Adapter
-HDMI Cable
-White
-8 GB SSD

Wii U Premium - ~$300
-Wii U Console
-Wii U Gamepad
-Wii U AC Adapter
-Wii U Gamepad AC Adapter
-HDMI Cable
-Black
-32 GB SSD ~$14
-includes Nintendo Premium ~$15
-Wii U Console Stand ~$3
-Wii U Gamepad Charging Dock + Wii U Gamepad Stand ~$18
Added estimated/made-up US$ price and the incremental costs of Premium items.

Alternatively, if you assume everything added in the Premium package is free and the $50 extra is to cover the 10% digital discount, 10x $50 digital games and you really do get the extra storage, stands, black for free.

Nibel

Well the game discs go up to 25gigs, I think.

I'm sure the launch titles won't be that big, though.

Most of the PS3 games don't even fill up the 25GB discs

And damn, if you still live behind the moon: external HDDs should be in every household by now - heck, my uncle uses one for his table so that it stays horizontal :lol

Some of you make such a big thing out of storage it's unbelievable

Principate

Saint Titanfall
32GB really is not taking it seriously.
Maybe if they announce that you can shove an internal harddrive in there it'd make more sense, but as is Wii U is going to be abysmal for people who want to download their games.
I can't see this getting the support of the PS3 and 360, I mean people already complain about the file size limitations on 360.

It accepts SD's and external hard drives what more do you want....

IrishNinja

Cheese says NSMBU and nintendoland are both physical and digital at launch....huh

if prices are the same, HDD size alone determines my vote, but honestly, ill prolly hit newegg for a good external USB to have on-hand

USB2 would create a horrible bottleneck and would run far slower than an internal HDD. So it's not a good solution.

A USB2.0 HDD is still going to be faster than optical media, with much better random access speeds. Should Nintendo have included at least one USB 3.0 slot? Absolutely. Is it an issue? No, not really.

Top Bottom