• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Direct Feb 13, 2014 Thread | 3DS/Wii U Spring games

Linkhero1

I suspect Nintendo is already shifting resources to Wii U's successor. Compare 3DS initial sales and Nintendo's response to Wii U sales and Nintendo's response. Nintendo is going to ride it out and try and not let Wii U wreck the company and try again as soon as they can IMO.

Didn't they say they have NFC capable titles that they plan on showing off at E3? I don't think the lack of announcements is any indication that they've begun moving their games. It was known beforehand that Nintendo's release schedule from DKCTF to Mario Kart would be pretty lackluster. If there's any indication that they've moved a lot of their resources to the Wii U's successor, it will be at or around E3.

drakkar

Neo Member
Unless I was not paying attention. It seems that it is the first time is see SEGA's name show up with Bayonetta 2. Maybe a sign that we will get Bayonetta 1 as a possible agreement was reached. I might be wrong about my supposition.

TriGen

Didn't they say they have NFC capable titles that they plan on showing off at E3? I don't think the lack of announcements is any indication that they've begun moving their games. It was known beforehand that Nintendo's release schedule from DKCTF to Mario Kart would be pretty lackluster. If there's any indication that they've moved a lot of their resources to the Wii U's successor, it will be at or around E3.

They said they had a new important NFC game (I don't remember them saying games, but I could be wrong), and they have said a new Zelda would be there. Whether we get more than those two (along with the QoL platform which will likely be a big part of their conference) is probably the decider. Also, it'll be interesting to see if we know all their main 2014 titles (Bayo2, X, Smash, Hyrule Warriors) or if all the new stuff is 2015.

They really need a big Wii U game announced and then confirm a soon release date (E3 announcement, then confirmed for that holiday, like E3 2010). It's taking them a long time to release after they're announced -- if that happens again I think it's a bad sign for Wii U (it's also obviously a bad sign if any of the aforementioned 4 main 2014 games get delayed) as a holiday 2015 title could get pushed to a new platform if the Wii U doesn't pick-up.

What you'll see at E3:

Smash
Bayonetta 2
X
Hyrule Warriors
Zelda gameplay
3DS titles

That's it. Maybe yoshi Yarn in 2015. They have nothing else. This Direct was pointless (in terms of WiiU).

Linkhero1

They said they had a new important NFC game (I don't remember them saying games, but I could be wrong), and they have said a new Zelda would be there. Whether we get more than those two (along with the QoL platform which will likely be a big part of their conference) is probably the decider. Also, it'll be interesting to see if we know all their main 2014 titles (Bayo2, X, Smash, Hyrule Warriors) or if all the new stuff is 2015.

They really need a big Wii U game announced and then confirm a soon release date (E3 announcement, then confirmed for that holiday, like E3 2009). It's taking them a long time to release after they're announced -- if that happens again I think it's a bad sign for Wii U as a holiday 2015 title could get pushed to a new platform if the Wii U doesn't pick-up.
I'm almost certain after this Direct that they'll push X into 2015. The rest will probably be scattered throughout the rest of the year if anything. I don't think they have anything to show off for the Wii U at the moment. Heck, they haven't showed us anything from SMT x FE and haven't revisited Yarn Yoshi. For me, E3 2014 will confirm whether or not they're abandoning Wii U support altogether and focusing on their next platform.

It's hard for Nintendo to churn out games when they've been struggling with HD development. It's the reason they announce a game and it takes so long for it to release. They were definitely not prepared for this and they weren't prepared for third parties to abandon ship. With third party support, their release schedule wouldn't have seemed as bad. It's too bad for them and us.

What you'll see at E3:

Smash
Bayonetta 2
X
Hyrule Warriors
Zelda gameplay
3DS titles

That's it. Maybe yoshi Yarn in 2015. They have nothing else. This Direct was pointless (in terms of WiiU).

Those will definitely be shown but I have a hard time believing it's all they'll show if they haven't started moving resources to the Wii U's successor. Don't forget about SMT x FE and the NFC game(s).

TriGen

I'm almost certain after this Direct that they'll push X into 2015. The rest will probably be scattered throughout the rest of the year if anything. I don't think they have anything to show off for the Wii U at the moment. Heck, they haven't showed us anything from SMT x FE and haven't revisited Yarn Yoshi. For me, E3 2014 will confirm whether or not they're abandoning Wii U support altogether and focusing on their next platform.

It's hard for Nintendo to churn out games when they've been struggling with HD development. It's the reason they announce a game and it takes so long for it to release. They were definitely not prepared for this and they weren't prepared for third parties to abandon ship. With third party support, their release schedule wouldn't have seemed as bad. It's too bad for them and us.

Yeah, HD development obviously killed them. And because things started so bad I think they had to blow their load in that January 2012 ND which meant everything was going to take a long time to come out, and it meant a lack of new announcements afterwards. That's why things have looked so bad for Wii U -- once they had a slow start it basically put them in a position where they couldn't catch up.

Smash Bros. = Fall Release, if not Winter.

X looks outdated and boring as all fuck, as predicted. It's also going to sell like absolute shit.

Bayo 2's VA is somehow worse than Bayo 1's.

Two 3DS games, both first party IPs, releasing on the same day. Nintendo still doesn't understand anything.

Those F2P titles were a new level of idiotic and unappealing.

No new games announced, especially not much new at all for Wii U.

At least the 3DS has a lot of good stuff coming.

Unless I was not paying attention. It seems that it is the first time is see SEGA's name show up with Bayonetta 2. Maybe a sign that we will get Bayonetta 1 as a possible agreement was reached. I might be wrong about my supposition.

Or maybe it's a sign that Sega is re-affirming ownership of the IP so they can port it to other systems when it inevitably flops on Wii U's non-existent userbase.

Linkyn

In retrospect, the fact that not a lot of new stuff was shown is more on the ND from last year. They basically announced 3-4 games that were in a conceptual stage at best. Announcing something like SMT x FE or Yarn Yoshi would have made a lot more sense around now if they're supposed to be released in late 2014 / early 2015. We basically only heard that they were in development once and haven't seen much of either since then.

As for as of yet unannounced games, I'd say we're getting another bigger direct with summer info in 2-3 months (my guess would be early May to create a little extra anticipation for MK 8) where they can get a lot of the known games out of the way so they can focus on Zelda and whatever else they are working on at E3 in June.

ramyeon

I regret waking up early for this. Probably one of the most boring Nintendo Directs so far. And all I really wanted was a SMT4 release date for EU/AU.

DVCY201

I'm surprised we didn't have anything announced for this Spring. As it is for me as a Wii U owner, I only have Donkey Kong and Mario Kart...from late February to late May...

That's pretty lackluster. Two quality games, sure. But, nothing in between for 3 months essentially? At least indie support looks to be good.

AzaK

I suspect Nintendo is already shifting resources to Wii U's successor. Compare 3DS initial sales and Nintendo's response to Wii U sales and Nintendo's response. Nintendo is going to ride it out and try and not let Wii U wreck the company and try again as soon as they can IMO.

Yup, they threw EVERYTHING at the 3DS to save it. Wii U they just didn't give a fuck. They moseyed on down the line, taking their sweet time until they felt they were ready to release something. All the while the sales dropped, new consoles approached and people forgot what it was.

They must have a lot for E3, hopefully
Please, don't do this to yourself.

What you'll see at E3:

Smash
Bayonetta 2
X
Hyrule Warriors
Zelda gameplay
3DS titles

That's if they show up at all.

mrpeabody

I don't know how they can push that Wii U lineup with a straight face. The games they showed look great, but their retail schedule is fucking barren.

Wikipedia shows 15 Wii U games scheduled for 2014 retail release. I wonder how long it took to reach that level for the Gamecube and the Dreamcast.

Lots of good stuff on tap for the 3DS though!

Yeah, HD development obviously killed them. And because things started so bad I think they had to blow their load in that January 2012 ND which meant everything was going to take a long time to come out, and it meant a lack of new announcements afterwards. That's why things have looked so bad for Wii U -- once they had a slow start it basically put them in a position where they couldn't catch up.

Right, but there's no excuse for it. The XBox 360 came out in 2005. Developers were complaining about HD development all the way back then. Meanwhile, Nintendo sat on Scrooge McDuck levels of cash while releasing nothing for the Wii's last two years.

They've had catastrophically bad leadership, and it didn't have to end up this way.

Honestly I don't think Nintendo can justify putting anymore games into development for a dead system. There big hope was that Mario 3D World was going to turn all their fortunes around. What they have announced so far will get them through 2014/mid 2015 and then it will be time to announce their new platform. Zelda Wii U will probably be moved there.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
If Wii U's price drops below 200 bucks by the end of this summer I will probably get one for Mario Kart 8 and then Smash.

Also I must be completely out of the loop, I had no idea DKC Tropical Freeze was coming out in a week...I thought it was still months away lol.

I'm surprised we didn't have anything announced for this Spring. As it is for me as a Wii U owner, I only have Donkey Kong and Mario Kart...from late February to late May...

That's pretty lackluster. Two quality games, sure. But, nothing in between for 3 months essentially? At least indie support looks to be good.

Yup. I'm now completely sold on 1001 Spikes and Shovel Knight.

I'd give the Direct an 8.5/10.

What they showed was topnotch for Wii U even if it was what was expected.

Kind of getting sick of many 3DS games looking the same way artstyle-wise but the games looked good(except Yoshi, it looks like the original just with an unremarkable aesthetic).

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Reminds me of the N64 days. Lol

Quality over Quantity....Until hardly anything was released.

The PS had quantity AND quality. You can have both, you know?

Exactly. Might as well add the orig Xbox, PS3 and 360 too.

When some ppl talk about quality of games and Nintendo vs the competition....they act like all other gaming platforms are from the 8-16 bit era, maybe before that era... If some really think there are no quality games in quantity on the PS and Xbox platform...I dont know what to say....Just 3rd party games alone being better on those platforms says it all.

I just want to know if Nintendo announced a price cut for Australia guys(Wii U)? If not then I guess there goes another year of not buying this console.I think Nintendo of Australia have dropped the ball, I mean charging us $428 for the Wii U premium bundle is just horrible.

Jado

Banned
That was atrocious.

I got a Wii U bundle last week and set it up over the weekend. My GF and I looked through the entire catalog in the eShop for stuff to play together. She literally said: where are all the games? I said something about stuff coming later. Her response: why did you buy this if there's nothing to play? She's right. Why did I think anything would be different this time?

Mario Kart is Mario Kart; you expect one every gen like clockwork with no real surprises and it's not even coming soon. X looks like every other dull bargain bin RPG I avoid and won't see a release this year if I even cared. Super Smash Bros is almost certainly not coming out til the holidays and this long string of gameplay teases, in place of an actual game or at least a decent release date(!), is not cool. Bayonetta looks pretty good but has niche appeal at best and, again, won't be out anytime soon. Donkey Kong looks genuinely great, but it stands truly alone in this ridiculous drought. It's not enough.

I just got this thing and I'm disappointed in the little available and the paltry offerings on the way. How has anyone who has had it since launch or for months now been managing? I would lose my mind if not for my PC and Steam account.

Caramello

That was atrocious.

I got a Wii U bundle last week and set it up over the weekend. My GF and I looked through the entire catalog in the eShop for stuff to play together. She literally said: where are all the games? I said something about stuff coming later. Her response: why did you buy this if there's nothing to play? She's right. Why did I think anything would be different this time?

Mario Kart is Mario Kart; you expect one every gen like clockwork with no real surprises and it's not even coming soon. X looks like every other dull bargain bin RPG I avoid and won't see a release this year if I even cared. Super Smash Bros is almost certainly not coming out til the holidays and this long string of gameplay teases, in place of an actual game or at least a decent release date(!), is not cool. Bayonetta looks pretty good but has niche appeal at best and, again, won't be out anytime soon. Donkey Kong looks genuinely great, but it stands truly alone in this ridiculous drought. It's not enough.

I just got this thing and I'm disappointed in the little available and the paltry offerings on the way. How has anyone who has had it since launch or for months now been managing? I would lose my mind if not for my PC and Steam account.

Personally it's a Nintendo game console and I play my PS3 or 3DS or PC when I'm not playing Wii U. I have plenty of variety with that combination.

If it was my only system then I can imagine the frustration but it's not.

Besides there are a lot of games out for the system if you're just picking it up now.

That was atrocious.

As a fellow Wii U owner, I agree with you. There's nothing to look forward to. Another dust collector console by Nintendo. It's very frustrating. I won't be selling mine, since the few games it has are quite good and I'll need it for the inevitable Zelda. But damn, Nintendo is The Lord of Antihype. Just a black hole sucking all excitement out of the future of the system.

TriGen

That was atrocious.

I've had a Wii U since launch, but there's no way it could be my only system (I own basically everything). You're right.

As far as games, I'd consider SM3DW and Pikmin 3 if you just got one.

rpmurphy

Had it since launch and not really short on games for me. I don't really have much time to play games, and my 3DS takes time away as well. I have like at least a dozen games (physical and downloadable games) that I have barely played on the Wii U, sadly...

You had a week and found no games to buy... that's a pretty bad purchasing decision.

That was atrocious.

You can still sell it or return it before the clearance sales later on this year. You aren't getting much more than what you've seen for the system. Nintendo is going to start shifting resources towards it's next handheld and that stupid health product. They've even said they are using existing resources for that QOL crap, so the slow output of games will only get even slower. Nintendo will never get rid of Iwata and he's basically leading the company into irrelevance.

GamerJM

Banned
Anyways, I thought it was alright. X looks great though not as great as the first two trailers. Smash and Mario Kart look awesome as usual, both some of my most-anticipated games right now. Yoshi looked better than usual though I'm still skeptical. I thought Kirby and Bayonetta looked alright. The new Pokemon and Weapon Shop e-Shop games look sort of neat, I'll probably download them. No bombs or anything but what we did see was cool. Underwhelming compared to some other directs though. I really hope Nintendo brings it this E3, because IMO we're due for some new announcements by now.

EDarkness

That was atrocious.

I own all systems and pretty much play snippets of games. I don't have enough time to really finish games, but I like to have them anyway. Still, my Wii U collection is quite large. Both indie games and boxed games. Not sure what you like to play but there has been a lot of stuff for me and my wife to play together. Most recently it's been LEGO Marvel and while I don't think that game is super awesome, it's good to mess around with.

At this point, it's better to stop looking at this forum and just focus on what you like to play in general. The overall tone of this place can simply kill a person's "curiosity factor". There are a lot of games to check out and play and I've been surprised by some that I simply tried out on a whim. Like Mighty Switch Force. Don't let the doom and gloom get to you. Games are always about fun and I'm more than positive even in it's current state there's a lot of fun stuff to play on the Wii U.

That was atrocious.

You, sir, are an illogical person. Here's why:

1. You seem to have purchased a system without looking into what games are available for that system. That's an illogical way to approach such a purchase.

2. You scoured the available games and found nothing worth playing? You didn't find Super Mario 3D World? You didn't find Pikmin 3? You didn't find even Nintendo Land?

You make no sense.

This is not to say that there isn't a drought in terms of games coming up, but your "experience" with the system for the first time this past weekend and the complaints from it just sounds dumb.

Pretty good direct overall. My only surprise was that there was no new YEAR OF X.

Also need a timeframe for X :/ So anxiously awaiting that. DKTF had a sick trailer.

That was atrocious.

I have 31 wii u games soon to be 32 next week when donkey kong releases i have been managing fine.

I was hoping for a lot more announcements when it came to new titles for Wii U:

February 21, 2014 is Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze
April 25, 2014 is NES Remix 2
May 30, 2014 is Mario Kart 8

That's all we have until June! NES Remix 2 was a nice surprise but it's also not a big title like the other 2. The first half of the year is too sparse!

I suppose if tons of virtual console games come out in March it will help, but it's still not enough!

Love the new footage for Smash, X, and Bayonetta 2 but those seem like Fall titles now...

r3ddvil

That was atrocious.

I've had one since launch Xmas - slow start but It's moved ahead of Steam lately on amount of time spent.

My wife and I play together as much as we can, often taking turns if it's single player. Some we enjoyed together;

Mario 3D World (she loved this one, we played a 9 hour marathon launch day)
Wind Waker HD (her first Zelda, her only complaint was the boating)
Runner 2 - amazing game, I think it was overlooked by a lot of people but fantastic
Resident Evil: Revelations - she liked the series "back in the day" - enjoyed this one, we took turns (I did most of the bosses)
Wii Sports Club:Bowling
NSMBU
Sonic Racing - great local mp the gamepad gets their own screen!
Nano Assault Neo - blast to play local multiplayer
Rayman Legends - another great platformer with co-op

We're both really looking forward to DKC:TF - returns was one of our mutual favourites on the Wii.

Other fun ones;

Monster Hunter - awesome, addictive, it takes a bit to get in to
Pikmin 3
W101 - working my way through ATM, pretty off the wall
NES Remix - I really liked this one but only if you are an old school NES type would I recommend
Giana Sisters - picked up recently, really enjoying so far
AC4 - Black Flag - it's my first AC so maybe I'm not jaded about the whole series yet but I though it was pretty awesome

Best of luck and I hope you find enjoyment from your new WiiU.

Effer

I think we're seeing it's going to get worse before it gets better (as far as Nintendo's home console situation is concerned).

But how is Iwata so calm while Nintendo burns to the ground around him? Simple, he's using the QoL system cuff and ear-mount sensor to actively reduce his blood pressure, stress level, and remain focused. That son of a bitch.

Just got around to watching the direct. Pretty quiet on the original title for Wii U front, but I'm glad to see Mario Kart on track for May release, DKCTF is already a given but nothing like a nice trailer to get the blood flowing, and Bayo 2 seems to be shaping up really nicely.
Little Mac is a great addition to Smash Bros and one I did not see coming at all. Great surprise.
I find it somewhat odd with the GBA VC appearance on Wii U but I'll take what I can get ya know. X looks exactly like Xenoblade to my eyes, and not being the biggest fan of the latter my interest in the former has dropped a little. Mechs look cool at least.
NES remix 2 is certainly welcome but I'm yet to purchase the first. Hopefully when the second is released come April we'll see a sale as I think $15 is a little pricey.
Heaps of stuff for the 3DS I personally dont have any interest in but the best news of the direct (for myself at least) was an actual date for Kirby Triple Deluxe, which I've been waiting very patiently for many moons now.

That was atrocious.

After some school grants came my way, I too picked one up last week. Got the bundle with New Super Mario Bros. U and Luigi U.

New Super was what I expected but it is fun and does some cool things. I then picked up Pikmin 3...

Between a 40 hr work week plus school and homework, I've already put close to twelve hours into the game and I love it. Thanks to the snowstorm in Baltimore I've spent most of the day plowing away at it more. In between playing, my girlfriend and I have been using it for Netflix despite having my PS3 and PS4 hooked up that we usually use. I jumped onto the eShop after watching the Direct and picked up Super Metroid and Earthbound.

I'm looking forward to DK and Mario Kart 8, and Smash when it finally comes out. I know there aren't as many games as we would all like but I've gotten more use out of it in a week than I have since my launch PS4. I really like this system and what it is capable of. I hope you can find some joy out of it like I have, I'm certainly glad I bought it and after the Direct I'm more excited for what's next to come.

Keyouta

What else do you all think Nintendo has in development for the Wii U (apart from the titles shown here)? There's IS/Atlus' SMTxFE and then we have Zelda U. Other than that I can't really think of much else.

I'm not sure how much effort Nintendo would put in to starting development on titles going forward, considering the sales. I hope there's at least one Metroid game on the thing. But again, it's not like it'd be a huge seller.

Top Bottom