• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Direct September 13th for Switch and 3DS

Fandangox

Thanks for the explanation. I heard of the Mandela effect. But i did remember correctly lol i did enjoy the Wii U in the first year more. Simply because there where more games that interest me. People can have different opinions and enjoy different games for different reasons. See my explanation above.

I never said you didn't enjoy the Wii U, I was just explaining what the Berenstain joke was.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Xenoblade looks horrible. They lost me as soon as I saw the costume for (one of?) the female protagonists.

What the fuck Monolith. Why don't you perverts just draw her naked and be done with it?

Ha. It's funny, I think I've said here before that the costume is a bit problematic. And I mentioned it being ugly to my fiancee last night while we were watching the Direct. She then told me she liked it and though it would be a fun cosplay. So I have no idea what to think anymore.

But despite my issues with it, I can't say I would boycott the game over it.

atr0cious

Sorry that wasn't really directed at you but more at the guy who said i had the berenstein effect.

But thanks again for explaining it anyway.
The reason I'm saying that to you is that it's weird to say you had more fun, when the choice of games was sparse and over a longer period of time. And the 3ds games are by 2nd parties as all of the Nintendo devs are working on projects. In a perfect world, having every game you could imagine at your finger tips would be great, but In the real world, it's only been 6 months, and we've got 2 goty contenders in Mario and Zelda, a bunch of great other games, good cross section of indies(grab overcooked if you have a dedicated co-op partner), the beginnings of proper 3rd party support, and more on the way, announced and unannounced. As a business, Nintendo is choosing to focus on the games closer to release, to shore up customer support, so you can get those dream games you want in the future. Maybe wait until the first year is over, and then see where you sit. And based on how your general tastes seem to run, I question why you even have the system, as I didn't even try grab one until I was sure I wanted ARMS.

The direct didn't really do much for me in the sense of excitement Mario was the only game I had much interest in, it's looking superb. The Switch itself, I just can't get into the hype for it, I have a soft spot for Nintendo due to the NES and SNES but that's not enough for me to buy this system.

I have to say though, I love the presentation style of these Directs, they are well paced, straight to the point and they go into detail about future games, delving into not only gameplay but features, characters, story. It's great stuff. The new IP from Square and the demo launching at the same time, you rarely see that now, it was a great touch. "Oh this looks cool, what I can try it today???" It's the little things like that I feel Sony and MS are missing. E3 is obviously big but I wouldn't mind those two starting some Direct style content.

m0t0k1

The reason I'm saying that to you is that it's weird to say you had more fun, when the choice of games was sparse and over a longer period of time. And the 3ds games are by 2nd parties as all of the Nintendo devs are working on projects. In a perfect world, having every game you could imagine at your finger tips would be great, but In the real world, it's only been 6 months, and we've got 2 goty contenders in Mario and Zelda, a bunch of great other games, good cross section of indies(grab overcooked if you have a dedicated co-op partner), the beginnings of proper 3rd party support, and more on the way, announced and unannounced. As a business, Nintendo is choosing to focus on the games closer to release, to shore up customer support, so you can get those dream games you want in the future. Maybe wait until the first year is over, and then see where you sit. And based on how your general tastes seem to run, I question why you even have the system, as I didn't even try grab one until I was sure I wanted ARMS.

You quoted one of my lines but in the same paragraph i said this "The Switch on the other hand still hasn't convinced me to buy." So no i don't own a Switch yet and i am looking for reasons to get one that is why i watch these directs. To see if there are any games on the horizon to get me excited about the Switch. All i do is comparing the line up from when Wii U launched vs Switch.

I am concluding is that their approach is different and they are doing great which is good for Nintendo. But personally as a long time Nintendo fan they haven't convinced me to go out and get one. I think the Wii U was better and I am giving out reasons how they could convince me. I feel like you are taking it as me attacking Nintendo. But all i am giving is reasons how they could get me excited again. I understand you are arguing that there is more to play now on switch then on Wii U. which is fine and you are correct more games have released. But my point is i think i'd rather take a couple i enjoy, then multiple that are just good enough. Which comes down to personal taste.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.

Don't see how it's hard to believe someone enjoyed the Wii U in the first year. Nintendoland on its own was a fun and unique experience. Heck, some of the top Switch games are Wii U ports. I own a Switch, but had no incentive to buy Mario Kart again, one of Switch's best games. Also, m0t0k1 doesn't have a Switch.

It's hard to be pleased when you grew up playing games like Super Mario Bros 3, A Link to the Past, Metroid Prime, Warcraft 3, Metal Gear Solid 2, Portal, Super Mario Galaxy, etc. but the thing is devs aren't even trying anymore.

Yes. Games aren't as good as they were when you were a kid because developers are now lazy. That's it.

Why is there a complete lack of ramping up of complexity of the dungeons and shrines in Zelda??

I'm gonna zero in on this just to say

1) there are definitely more complex dungeons and shrines in Zelda
2) you won't get a linear ramp-up of complexity in a non-linear game

You quoted one of my lines but in the same paragraph i said this "The Switch on the other hand still hasn't convinced me to buy." So no i don't own a Switch yet and i am looking for reasons to get one that is why i watch these directs. To see if there are any games on the horizon to get me excited about the Switch. All i do is comparing the line up from when Wii U launched vs Switch.

Nintendo's doubling down on the kinds of games that did an okay job selling Wii Us. They're not doubling down on the arcade-like games like Nintendo Land, Wonderful 101, etc. because they didn't do a good job selling Wii Us.

But, honestly, they're letting indie studios handle that kind of content. There's plenty of content coming to Switch this year for longtime Nintendo arcade-like game fans. Axiom Verge for Metroid fans; Sonic Mania, Shovel Knight, etc. for platforming fans; Fast RMX for F-Zero.

eXistor

Very underwhelming Direct, I skipped through most of it. I guess modern facebook-type mobile games just don't appeal to me, the only ones that looked good were the ones that were already announced like Octopatch, Xenoblade and Odyssey.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Very underwhelming Direct, I skipped through most of it. I guess modern facebook-type mobile games just don't appeal to me, the only ones that looked good were the ones that were already announced like Octopatch, Xenoblade and Odyssey.

Considering there was almost none of what you described at all in the Direct, I'd say you certainly skipped through most of it.

atr0cious

I am concluding is that their approach is different and they are doing great which is good for Nintendo. But personally as a long time Nintendo fan they haven't convinced me to go out and get one. I think the Wii U was better and I am giving out reasons how they could convince me. I feel like you are taking it as me attacking Nintendo. But all i am giving is reasons how they could get me excited again. I understand you are arguing that there is more to play now on switch then on Wii U. which is fine and you are correct more games have released. But my point is i think i'd rather take a couple i enjoy, then multiple that are just good enough. Which comes down to personal taste.
Oops, sorry about that. Then, yeah, chill on it and wait. But this is what I was responding to
. I miss the Wii U days at least i always had something to look forward too in the first year.
But i am more into arcade like games. And Wii u had plenty of those.

New Super Mario Bros, Nintendo Land, Tekken Tag Tournament 2 and later on we got Ninja Gaiden, Pikmin 3. and that is not even counting the 3ds games in that year i enjoyed.

Games i liked or are looking forward to on switch is only Mario Oddysey for this year. Looking at the current line up i also enjoy Puyo Puyo x Tetris but i got that game on ps3 years ago and still works fine for a quick multiplayer session. Instead of showing games like Pikmin 4 or at least ports of recent games like Tekken 7.

Not that i expect them at release or anything. But the kind of games Nintendo is showing has just changed. In both what they themself create as what kind of 3rd party offerings they like to show. Its more like they release games in current trends and add a Nintendo flavor to it then creating games i expect out of Nintendo.

Your first statement makes it sound like the first years drought didn't single-handedly killed the system. There's personal tastes, but Nintendo hasn't changed anything, they've refined themselves. Snipperclips was originally indie and got picked up for being a a game Nintendo wish they could've made. Splatoon 2s (and 1s) campaign is the best Mario game you haven't played. ARMS takes the unique and charming boxer types of Punchout and added innovative controls (especially with custom configs), and all those games came out with in 4 months of the systems release. There are a bunch of great indie games, that feel even better with split joycons, like Gonner, Tumbleseed, Thumper (though I want this in VR), Snakes Pass(icon not withstanding) and more.

Sure, Bethesda is a new face, but capcom is bringing the perennial RE ports, EAs bringing fifa, and 2k is back, just like Wii U. Pokken is there to scratch your Tekken itch a little, and I'm sure Tekken will come a little later once Pokkens out and settled.

I'm not saying buy the system, though, you obviously don't want it.
Don't see how it's hard to believe someone enjoyed the Wii U in the first year. Nintendoland on its own was a fun and unique experience. Heck, some of the top Switch games are Wii U ports. I own a Switch, but had no incentive to buy Mario Kart again, one of Switch's best games. Also, m0t0k1 doesn't have a Switch.
I didn't mention ports for that reason. I don't have mk8d or botw on switch as I own them on the Wii U. Nintendoland is an amazing game, I agree. Yea, selective blindness on my dumb brain.

Ansatz

Yes. Games aren't as good as they were when you were a kid because developers are now lazy. That's it.

Nope, they are literally not trying [to top those games] anymore between the mobile f2p, games as services, online competitive gaming, open worlds; progress bars, daily quests, loot boxes, random generation, virtual card packs. Just make a normal ass game for once?? Kingdom Battle <3

Valve made Portal at some point and now they aren't making any new games at all. That's what I mean.

Nope, they are literally not trying [to top those games] anymore between the mobile f2p, games as services, online competitive gaming, open worlds; progress bars, daily quests, loot boxes, random generation, virtual card packs. Just make a normal ass game for once?? Kingdom Battle <3

The fuck are you talking about

Valve made Portal at some point and now they aren't making any new games at all. That's what I mean.

The latest Super Mario Bros. game had none of these things.

A Link to the Past is an open-world action RPG-lite game, and - shockingly - so is the latest Zelda game!

Nintendo literally just announced a new Metroid Prime title and we've heard nary a peep about any of these business models.

Warcraft I'll give you - it's morphed into WoW.

There was just an MGS game and while it had microtransactions it seems to have been pretty robust without them.

Isn't Nintendo making a creative-as-fuck 3D Mario game that comes out in a little over a month?

Valve I'll also give you, but I've never really seen Valve as anything more than a corporation. I don't know why they have a "good guy Valve" reputation.

You have to remember that you are comparing Switch to the combined output of whatever handheld + console was out depending on the gen you are looking at which means during that time we had, in addition to those Wii U titles,

Paper Mario Sticker Star
Crashmo
Fire Emblem Awakening
Luigi's Mansion 2

You get the idea

That doesn't make any sense. Why would we include 3DS games for the sake of your argument when we could just as easily throw 3DS games into the mix for mine too. Full comparison:

First 9 months of Wii U (plus 3DS titles for the same period):
NintendoLand
NSMBU
Paper Mario Sticker Star
Crashmo
Fire Emblem Awakening
Luigi's Mansion 2

First 9 months of Switch (plus 3DS titles for the same period):
1-2 Switch
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
Snipperclips
Mario Kart 8 DX
ARMS
Splatoon 2
Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle
Pokken Tournament DX
Fire Emblem Warriors
Super Mario Odyssey
Xenoblade 2
Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia
Hey! Pikmin
Miitopia
Metroid: Samus Returns
Mario and Luigi: Superstar Saga + Bowser's Minions
Pokemon Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon
Mario Party: The Top 100

I don't know how you could think the two time periods are even comparable.

m0t0k1

Nintendo's doubling down on the kinds of games that did an okay job selling Wii Us. They're not doubling down on the arcade-like games like Nintendo Land, Wonderful 101, etc. because they didn't do a good job selling Wii Us.

But, honestly, they're letting indie studios handle that kind of content. There's plenty of content coming to Switch this year for longtime Nintendo arcade-like game fans. Axiom Verge for Metroid fans; Sonic Mania, Shovel Knight, etc. for platforming fans; Fast RMX for F-Zero.

I can absolutely see why they approached it differently this time. I would have tried something different if i was in that kind of position. But it doesn't hurt to throw a bone to cater to the crowd that bought the Wii U and 3ds. A thankfully they are still doing that with the 3ds. But that means it hasn't arrived on the Switch yet. The thing is i buy a console for the "real" stuff not indie games. I'd rather play Samus Returns on an console i already own then to go out to buy a switch for Axiom Verge.

Oops, sorry about that. Then, yeah, chill on it and wait. But this is what I was responding to

Your first statement makes it sound like the first years drought didn't single-handedly killed the system. There's personal tastes, but Nintendo hasn't changed anything, they've refined themselves. Snipperclips was originally indie and got picked up for being a a game Nintendo wish they could've made. Splatoon 2s (and 1s) campaign is the best Mario game you haven't played. ARMS takes the unique and charming boxer types of Punchout and added innovative controls (especially with custom configs), and all those games came out with in 4 months of the systems release. There are a bunch of great indie games, that feel even better with split joycons, like Gonner, Tumbleseed, Thumper (though I want this in VR), Snakes Pass(icon not withstanding) and more.

Sure, Bethesda is a new face, but capcom is bringing the perennial RE ports, EAs bringing fifa, and 2k is back, just like Wii U. Pokken is there to scratch your Tekken itch a little, and I'm sure Tekken will come a little later once Pokkens out and settled.

I'm not saying buy the system, though, you obviously don't want it.
I didn't mention ports for that reason. I don't have mk8d or botw on switch as I own them on the Wii U. Nintendoland is an amazing game, I agree. Yea, selective blindness on my dumb brain.

I can see where you are coming from and for people that didn't own a wii u switch is sure a great value proposition. But the experiences to be had on Switch is stuff i already experienced on my Wiiu. Pokken is like the Super Street Fighter Turbo edition of the Pokken games. While enjoying Pokken i already got the game and not buying it to just get a few extra fighters. Which they could also have released on Wiiu. Splatoon have some nice extra stuff. but can't say how different it is compared to 1 since i didnt play it. Revelations also released on Wiiu and you can now experience the sequel.

This is mainly the reason why i am not that excited for most of the line up. I am not running out to the shop to get these games just to get slightly upgraded experiences, but to get new stuff. Like BoTW and now Wolfenstein are great news for owners of the switch. Not to play old ports. I don't really care for those games but for me personally I'd rather see Dragon Ball Z fighters announcement then a Xenoverse 2 for example.

But it comes down to personal taste yeah. New Super Mario Bros Wii u is probably my favourite 2d mario platformer out of the mainline games. Nintendoland was for me and friend way more enjoyable then something like 1,2 switch. Tekken Tag Tournament is my second most played game on the Wii U next to Smash. But those memories where new for me. The Switch doesn't really do that or excite me like that. But People that want these kind of experiences definitely go for it. Lots of people find Splatoon fun so people that never owned a wii u and people who loved that on they are going to have a great time.

BiggNife

Zelda is a normal ass game

Mario Odyssey is a normal ass game

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is a normal ass game

Xenoblade Chronicles 2 is a normal ass game

The only games that fit the "online competitive gaming" mold are Splatoon and ARMS and even then those games are designed to be super accessible

They've made a grand total of three mobile games (not counting PokeGo, which is entirely handled by The Pokemon Company)

This is a ridiculous statement to make

pronk420

It turns out the Arena of Valor is the western title of Tencent's King of Glory/Honor of Kings, which is apparently insanely popular and has lead to the Chinese government calling it 'poison' and restrictions on how long under 18s are allowed to play being added.

Full comparison:

Not quite

First 9 months of Wii U (plus 3DS titles for the same period):
Nintendo Land
NSMBU
SiNG Party
Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge
Lego City: Undercover
Game & Wario
Pikmin 3

Crashmo
Fluidity: Spin Cycle
Tokyo Crash Mobs
Fire Emblem Awakening
Brain Age: Concentration Training
Luigi's Mansion 2/Dark Moon
HarmoKnight
Dillon's Rolling Western: The Last Ranger
Lego City Undercover: The Chase Begins
Mario and Donkey Kong: Minis on the Move
Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D
Animal Crossing: New Leaf
Mario & Luigi: Dream Team

First 9 months of Switch (plus 3DS titles for the same period):
1-2 Switch
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
Snipperclips
Mario Kart 8 DX
ARMS
Splatoon 2
Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle
Pokken Tournament DX
Fire Emblem Warriors
Super Mario Odyssey
Xenoblade 2

Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia
Hey! Pikmin
Miitopia
Metroid: Samus Returns
Mario and Luigi: Superstar Saga + Bowser's Minions
Pokemon Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon
Mario Party: The Top 100

I don't know how you could think the two time periods are even comparable.

There were two more Nintendo-published/distributed/licensed games during the Wii U/3DS period than there are during the Switch/3DS period, and three of the 3DS games were very high performers.

It's Switch alone vs. Wii U alone where there's no contest.

I'd rather play Samus Returns on an console i already own then to go out to buy a switch for Axiom Verge.

That's your loss, really, since I'm fairly confident Axiom Verge is going to be the better Metroid-type game compared to Samus Returns.

Indie games are "real" games. It's just that the economics of making games have changed since the 2000s and big publishers are focusing more on big AAA projects and less on games that won't make hundreds of millions of dollars, which means the developers for those games have to do so outside the big publisher realm.

Ansatz

The fuck are you talking about

I'm clarifying what I meant with my original statement because you misunderstood it. When I said devs aren't trying anymore I meant that they are literally not making the kind of game I'm interested in basically. It's not a matter of them trying and failing "due to laziness" as your post implied; they aren't even trying, in a literal sense, which is worse.

Take Super Meat Boy, a game I've spent over 100 hours on and beaten multiple times, also earning the golden boy achievement. Now I see the sequel in the Direct and it's a piece of shit infinite runner game with randomly generated levels. It doesn't matter if it's received well by fans and critics, the game is inherently something I don't want to play.

It's hard to be pleased when you grew up playing games like Super Mario Bros 3, A Link to the Past, Metroid Prime, Warcraft 3, Metal Gear Solid 2, Portal, Super Mario Galaxy, etc. but the thing is devs aren't even trying anymore.

I've read a ton of bad takes, this is one of the worst. It's also factually wrong. Now go back to r/gaming and wallow in your bullshit nostalgia trip.

Ansatz

The only games that fit the "online competitive gaming" mold are Splatoon and ARMS and even then those games are designed to be super accessible

They've made a grand total of three mobile games (not counting PokeGo, which is entirely handled by The Pokemon Company)

I know, the comment wasn't directed at Nintendo 1st party. I think the first year lineup strikes a good overall balance and I thank god Splatoon 2 has a SP mode unlike say Overwatch.

My issue is with the Direct itself, how it lacked new announcements. I've already spoken very positively about Switch's first year lineup and the upcoming Odyssey looks absolutely stellar. No complaints there

Not quite

There were two more Nintendo-published/distributed/licensed games during the Wii U/3DS period than there are during the Switch/3DS period, and three of the 3DS games were very high performers.

It's Switch alone vs. Wii U alone where there's no contest.

Got it. Sorry for the misinformation. My argument was the fact that you could add 3DS games to either side. There's no reason Switch's library alone should be compared to 3DS + Wii U, when you could just as easily add 3DS to the Switch's side too. It's not like 3DS games have stopped being developed.

Regiruler

These are some long ass posts so I'm missing context but:

-Wii U Port
-Sure
-Wii U Port
-Atrocious character art, VO, and dull battle system

kunonabi

Yeah, i wasnt all that unhappy with the Wii U's 1st year. It wasnt ideal but the launch had three excellent games and despite the droughts i still ended up buying 29 games, 12 of which were brand new exclusive titles. It was actually a better year for me than the switch has managed so far oddly enough

heringer

I'm clarifying what I meant with my original statement because you misunderstood it. When I said devs aren't trying anymore I meant that they are literally not making the kind of game I'm interested in basically. It's not a matter of them trying and failing "due to laziness" as your post implied; they aren't even trying, in a literal sense, which is worse.

Take Super Meat Boy, a game I've spent over 100 hours on and beaten multiple times, also earning the golden boy achievement. Now I see the sequel in the Direct and it's a piece of shit infinite runner game with randomly generated levels. It doesn't matter if it's received well by fans and critics, the game is inherently something I don't want to play.

The levels in Super Meat Boy Forever are not randomly generated. I mean, for someone complaining about devs not trying, you sure doesn't seem like someone who tries much yourself if you don't even know basic details about the sequel of a game you love so much.

Got it. Sorry for the misinformation. My argument was the fact that you could add 3DS games to either side. There's no reason Switch's library alone should be compared to 3DS + Wii U, when you could just as easily add 3DS to the Switch's side too. It's not like 3DS games have stopped being developed.

But the precise reason why the 3DS games were brought up was that 3DS was a really active, healthy platform at the same time that Wii U was floundering. Likewise, 3DS is an aging, dying platform at the same time that Switch is healthy.

The reason's because Nintendo supports multiple platforms at once, so unless they perfectly balance support between the two platforms a good year for one likely means a thin year for the other.

Switch is absolutely having a better first year than Wii U. But Switch could be having an even better year if Nintendo wasn't continuing to chuck out new 3DS games and was putting those games on Switch instead.

Ansatz

The levels in Super Meat Boy Forever are not randomly generated. I mean, for someone complaining about devs not trying, you sure doesn't seem like someone who tries much yourself if you don't even know basic details about the sequel of a game you love so much.

?

"Levels are dynamically constructed based on difficulty. Each time you beat a level, it reconstructs into a harder version of itself"

"system that allows us to give a criteria of difficulty and pacing that makes the levels randomly, but still within the confines of what we want the levels to be presented as,"

https://www.destructoid.com/super-meat-boy-forever-is-a-true-sequel-due-out-in-2018-458038.phtml

heringer

?

"Levels are dynamically constructed based on difficulty. Each time you beat a level, it reconstructs into a harder version of itself"

"system that allows us to give a criteria of difficulty and pacing that makes the levels randomly, but still within the confines of what we want the levels to be presented as,"

https://www.destructoid.com/super-meat-boy-forever-is-a-true-sequel-due-out-in-2018-458038.phtml

This was already addressed. The levels consists of "chunks" of handcrafted segments that are procedurally placed together based on criterias of difficulty. It's also not an infinite runner.

jmizzal

What happened to the Ubisoft game?

They said they will have a new Switch game to announce soon, this was before Gamescom, PAX and now a Nintendo Direct and still nothing

I wonder if they are gonna port AC Origins for 2018, kinda like Bathesda is doing with Wolfenstein 2

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
What happened to the Ubisoft game?

They said they will have a new Switch game to announce soon, this was before Gamescom, PAX and now a Nintendo Direct and still nothing

I wonder if they are gonna port AC Origins for 2018, kinda like Bathesda is doing with Wolfenstein 2

I hope not. I think South Park would be the best port they could make.

rudger

Ha. It's funny, I think I've said here before that the costume is a bit problematic. And I mentioned it being ugly to my fiancee last night while we were watching the Direct. She then told me she liked it and though it would be a fun cosplay. So I have no idea what to think anymore.

But despite my issues with it, I can't say I would boycott the game over it.

Whenever I see people complain about the way female characters dress in JRPGs, I'm often reminded how women have been the predominant consumers of the genre for 20+ years. it's a mistake to think that a woman is dressed sexy solely for the male gaze and it doesn't even make sense if you looked up who consumes the media. I mean, just look at magazine covers in a grocery store checkout. You think men primarily buy those things? Cause they don't.

GDGF

Soothsayer

What direct did you watch? Not sure how you could claim the games in this one had a modern facebook type mobile aesthetic. It was a Bethesda fest aside from the games you mentioned.

New day and I'm still amazed at the support Bethesda is giving the platform. A port from a current gen system, being played on a handheld is just batshit.

And after watching that Mario trailer for the fourth time... it's still one of the best videogame anythings I've seen. So inventive, so beautiful, and on a freaking handheld!

Switch is the little handheld that could, in so many ways.

It's also becoming the handheld I hoped Vita could be.

Anyone else thinking about jumping back on the 3DS/2DS train? Don't get me wrong I love my Switch and there's plenty of great games there, but the catalog of the 3DS (both upcoming and released) is just incredible. I had a 3ds several years ago, but I sold it. Should I jump back in now?

Surfside

Banned
Anyone else thinking about jumping back on the 3ds/2ds train? Don't get me wrong I love my Switch and there's plenty of great games there, but the catalog of the 3ds (both upcoming and released) is just incredible. I had a 3ds several years ago, but I sold it. Should I jump back in now?

Well the question is if you have the time. If so then absolutely yes. In the beginning i thought it woudn't match up to the DS's library but it did.

Scrawnton

Anyone else thinking about jumping back on the 3DS/2DS train? Don't get me wrong I love my Switch and there's plenty of great games there, but the catalog of the 3DS (both upcoming and released) is just incredible. I had a 3ds several years ago, but I sold it. Should I jump back in now?
You never should've gotten rid of it. It's worth owning for archival reasons to play 3DS games and DS because it seems like that line of gaming is more or less done.

Nicko

Xenoblade looks horrible. They lost me as soon as I saw the costume for (one of?) the female protagonists.

What the fuck Monolith. Why don't you perverts just draw her naked and be done with it?

Yep, yep, yep. I'm right there with you! This is unabashed, undeniable male pervert pandering. Nintendo has guaranteed the loss of my sale.

I was so livid about the ridiculous female "outfits" in these games that I personally spoke with someone at Nintendo's marketing department after Xenoblade X came out. The woman I spoke to said that she completely understood and agreed with my feelings on the issue, and would personally deliver my feedback to the localization team..... A whole lot of good that seemed to do.

Please everyone, VOTE with your wallets if you don't approve of this disrespectful and demoralizing female portrayal.

You never should've gotten rid of it. It's worth owning for archival reasons to play 3DS games and DS because it seems like that line of gaming is more or less done.

I completely agree, and I wish I hadn't but you know how finances can be. I recognize that there won't be (many) new games coming out, but I feel like the catalog is just too enticing to pass up, and the console might not be as easy to buy in a few years.

Well the question is if you have the time. If so then absolutely yes. In the beginning i thought it woudn't match up to the DS's library but it did.

Well, I'm kind of in a gaming slump until Destiny 2 comes out on PC, so time isn't too much of an issue.

I thought this was a great Direct all around. I cannot be more excited for Mario Odyssey, each new trailer and piece of footage tops the last. It really looks like it's going to be the BotW reinvigoration for 3D sandbox Mario games. eShop continues to kill it with indies and arcade titles (too bad Nintendo apparently doesn't have the rights to OG DK) and occasional third party exclusives like Octopath which looks like a stunning HD SNES/PS1 era RPG, wow. Very happy with most of what I saw. Just wish those "two iconic shooters coming to Switch" had been actual shmups like DoDonPachi or Raiden. :p Hopefully Strikers 1945 doing well means we'll get more.

Also, people need to get DQ Builders on Switch. I have the PS4 version and it's soooooo good. I'm good with my PS4 copy but I'll be getting DQ Builders 2 whenever it releases on Switch although I am seriously tempted to double dip on DQB1 Switch for the portability.

Nailed it, this attitude is so moronic. And as someone who started gaming in the late '80s and was in middle school/junior high during the SNES launch, I honestly feel like Switch year one is the best first year Nintendo has had since the SNES in '91/92 got SMW and Link to the Past in its first eight months in NA.

1) You don't know the game is shit because you haven't played it.
2) You not wanting a game doesn't mean it's shit.
3) You not wanting a game doesn't mean a developer isn't trying.
4) A game with dynamically generated levels might be harder to program than one with set layouts. That means they have to try harder.
5) What are devs "literally" not trying at?

Mael

It's probably the 1st Nintendo system to not have a drought of very high quality releases (and I mean handheld included) and people think that WiiU of all systems was better?
It's probably the 1st time in forever that I can choose to ignore Nintendo releases to play on the system!

Top Bottom