• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Direct September 13th for Switch and 3DS

Seik

Banned
Yep, yep, yep. I'm right there with you! This is unabashed, undeniable male pervert pandering. Nintendo has guaranteed the loss of my sale.

I was so livid about the ridiculous female "outfits" in these games that I personally spoke with someone at Nintendo's marketing department after Xenoblade X came out. The woman I spoke to said that she completely understood and agreed with my feelings on the issue, and would personally deliver my feedback to the localization team..... A whole lot of good that seemed to do.

Please everyone, VOTE with your wallets if you don't approve of this disrespectful and demoralizing female portrayal.

TBH, all Xenoblade games have ridiculously revealing armor sets, it's nothing new. Even for an underage girl in X. (In the Japanese version only I think?)

Also, reading this page (edit: last page lol)...I wonder in which dimension you were living to think Wii U's launch was better. This was one of the most abysmal launches I had to go through, the thing collected dust for months between releases because 1st AND 3rd party games were spread so sparsely through the year.

Mael

TBH, all Xenoblade games have ridiculously revealing armor sets, it's nothing new. Even for an underage girl in X. (In the Japanese version only I think?)

Also, reading this page (edit: last page lol)...I wonder in which dimension you were living to think Wii U's launch was better. This was one of the most abysmal launches I had to go through, the thing collected dust for months between releases because 1st AND 3rd party games were spread so sparsely through the year.

They had to offer VC games at 30cents a piece to try to make up for it!

-shadow-

Are people really skipping the entire game based on just one character design? Seems a bit much.

It's a terrible design, I'm not arguing against that.

Mister Wolf

Are people really skipping the entire game based on just one character design? Seems a bit much.

I wish they would skip it instead of complaining about it just to turn around and buy the game anyway.

Surfside

Banned

It's their choice though. Only i believe boycotting the game woudn't have the desired effect of less sexualised characters.

Muzy72

Banned
This Direct is the one that finally confirmed to me that 2017 is the last significant year for the platform.

I don't know if that's true. At the beginning of the year we didn't know that Fire Emblem Echoes, Metroid: Samus Returns, Mario & Luigi: SSS + Bowser's Minions, Pokémon Ultra Sun/Moon, Kirby: Battle Royale, or Mario Party: The Top 100 existed, nor did we know Miitopia, Monster Hunter Stories, or Yo-kai Watch 2: Psychic Specters would be localized, and that's all coming this year. 3DS games don't need really get much time between reveal and release.

ito007

This direct was awesome. The big games they mentioned look great and just shows that this first year is stacked.

Good variety of games showed as well

Opa-Pa

Honestly, if we were talking about any other game, I would too.

A design like that hints at what the tone of the game will be as well, it's not just a single design that's the problem. Doesn't help that the art style as a whole is absolutely awful either... But hey it's more Xenoblade, so I'm screwed lol.

I don't know if that's true. At the beginning of the year we didn't know that Fire Emblem Echoes, Metroid: Samus Returns, Mario & Luigi: SSS + Bowser's Minions, Pokémon Ultra Sun/Moon, Kirby: Battle Royale, or Mario Party: The Top 100 existed, nor did we know Miitopia, Monster Hunter Stories, or Yo-kai Watch 2: Psychic Specters would be localized, and that's all coming this year. 3DS games don't need really get much time between reveal and release.

That's true and I do think some announcements will happen next year. But not even Japan is getting any new significant reveals for the platform these days, so I predict 2018 will be the system's twilight year. And this fall is undoubtedly its final major holiday season.

All
of the character designs are absolutely terrible though. Such design choices also are often indicative of what story they will be going for. I mean, even the first Xenoblade was full of tropes and the most predictable cliches, so this game will probably take you through the worst kind of animu hell.

Nah I'm skipping it because I personally find the Xenoblade combat system to be trash, the awful character designs are just a bonus.

Hmm I might be finally ready to jump aboard the Switch wagon with Mario right around the corner

Was hoping someone could help answer a couple of questions?
  1. Does the handling of digital games on the Switch seem reasonable? Wii U felt archaic with being tied to specific hardware rather than an account. Reading FAQs on Nintendos site appears to state they've since modernized but I want actual user opinions if possible
  2. Any updates on backing up Save Data on Switches? Heard originally that it wasn't available but can't find anything to state it's been added so still a no go? Not playing Zelda on something that I can't back up my save of although already beat it on Wii U so not sure I care to play it again [Fantastic Game but not really something I want to play again so soon]
  3. Any good suggestions on cases and accessories? Yes on Pro Controller or does it still have a poor dpad? Are there solutions to store/bring an extra set of joycons?

Thanks in advance to any switch users who can give their opinions/advice on the above. Debating about pre-ordering one of the Mario bundles but Mario is digital which I'm wary of on a Nintendo console

AzaK

The biggest problem for me in that Direct is that I'm struggling to vibe with Mario. New Donk city looks awful (Flat, lifeless) and a number of other areas look like they are a select few buildings, trees etc but nothing outside it.

jariw

Only Metroid is an ambitious 1st party effort, and that's made by an external team. To me, it seems clear that Nintendo will release 3DS games as long as they sell, but that the efforts now is mainly about repackaging old content.

Oddish1

If you don't like the new direction of Xenoblade (or, for that matter, Fire Emblem), I suggest to read this article

http://neojaponisme.com/2011/11/28/the-great-shift-in-japanese-pop-culture-part-one/

tl;dr: only otakus buy new products

What new direction for Xenoblade? This seems pretty in line with what Takahashi and Monolith Soft have done in the past. I think Xenoblade 2 is the way it is because it's what they want to make and not trying to cater to a domestic audience.

Fire Emblem is the way it is because it's more successful in Japan and in the west. The argument that Fire Emblem is pursuing an otaku audience at the expense of an international or mainstream one has no factual basis whatsoever.

atr0cious

The biggest problem for me in that Direct is that I'm struggling to vibe with Mario. New Donk city looks awful (Flat, lifeless) and a number of other areas look like they are a select few buildings, trees etc but nothing outside it.
I get what you mean with some of the levels, but NDC is literally almost all verticality. I'm hoping the number of kingdoms evens out the platforming challenge since the trailers just focus on the possession ability.

So this Direct actually destroyed me. My wallet I mean. Been erring and ahhing all summer over whether to get a Switch, then this Direct happens and Amazon have a snazzy discount code and I bit like the fish I am.

Going to wait for Skyrim and Doom to come out but deciding between Zelda, MARIO/Rabbids and Mario Kart.

I'm still awfully confused that we haven't heard a peep about those Ubisoft games which were supposed to be announced "quite soon" as of July, and whatever Blizzard game is coming which was rumored here before E3 along with the 2 Metroid games and Kirby (so you know it's a legitimate leak).

Platinum's teasing had me convinced we'd see something from them too, and while I suppose they could announce something next week I kinda doubt they would announce something for Switch at TGS when there's a Direct the week before.

Zedark

I'm still awfully confused that we haven't heard a peep about those Ubisoft games which were supposed to be announced "quite soon" as of July, and whatever Blizzard game is coming which was rumored here before E3 along with the 2 Metroid games and Kirby (so you know it's a legitimate leak).

Platinum's teasing had me convinced we'd see something from them too, and while I suppose they could announce something next week I kinda doubt they would announce something for Switch at TGS when there's a Direct the week before.

Yeah, it would be weird, but I almost feel there is another small direct planned to air this year, detailing what you mention (BOTW DLC, Rocket League date, Platinum and maybe more). Still, I don't want to just assert that, as there's little time to do so (they would basically have to have one in October, otherwise it'll extremely late).

That's one way to look at it I guess!

I'm the exact opposite mind you but this game will obviously never please 100% of the people who buy it, regardless of how good it is so if you're not seeing what you want to see that is hard luck I guess. Maybe next time?

Yeah, it would be weird, but I almost feel there is another small direct planned to air this year, detailing what you mention (BOTW DLC, Rocket League date, Platinum and maybe more). Still, I don't want to just assert that, as there's little time to do so (they would basically have to have one in October, otherwise it'll extremely late).

Release dates don't really need a Direct, but I do agree that there's at least going to be something regarding the Zelda DLC. The Platinum, Ubisoft, and (possibly) Blizzard game(s) may not be releasing this year, so they could still be announced in a November-December or even January Direct.

It's just the timing that's a bit confusing to me, especially with that statement from Ubisoft. "Quite soon" from July would work with September to me but not really all that well with January...

Didn't they just do a random info-dump for the last Zelda DLC pack? I remember just reading about it on social media and then following the daily updates on the official site.

The new Mario trailer sold me completely. Just ordered a Switch as a little birthday present to myself. Unfortunately that's basically all my disposable done for the month.

Any decent f2p games on switch while I wait it out? Just looking for an excuse to unbox it tomorrow.

Didn't they just do a random info-dump for the last Zelda DLC pack? I remember just reading about it on social media and then following the daily updates on the official site.

Yeah but this is a story DLC, which will likely require at least a trailer.

The new Mario trailer sold me completely. Just ordered a Switch as a little birthday present to myself. Unfortunately that's basically all my disposable done for the month.

Any decent f2p games on switch while I wait it out? Just looking for an excuse to unbox it tomorrow.

There are a bunch of free demos, including the excellent Octopath Traveler demo released the other day, but I don't believe there are any F2P games out yet. That MOBA they announced seems to be F2P but it's not out yet.

There are a bunch of free demos, including the excellent Octopath Traveler demo released the other day, but I don't believe there are any F2P games out yet. That MOBA they announced seems to be F2P but it's not out yet.

To be honest some demos will be plenty enough reason to wire it up for me. Hopefully there's a Mario x Rabbids demo because that looks fantastic. Depending on the price I might see if I can get away with grabbing Snipperclips do me and the OH. Looks like a game that would be great together.

rucury

Banned
I absolutely loved Xenoblade Chronicles. I was actually part of the original crew for Operation Rainfall, specifically cause I wanted the game stateside. I was so happy when it got released and loved every minute of those 89 hours.

Nevertheless, I am so down on XBC2. Anime was, without a doubt, a huge mistake.

Astral Dog

All
of the character designs are absolutely terrible though. Such design choices also are often indicative of what story they will be going for. I mean, even the first Xenoblade was full of tropes and the most predictable cliches, so this game will probably take you through the worst kind of animu hell.
tha AMAZING localization, voice acting and some ok characters saved Xenoblade story for me, though X was nasty and so far Xeno 2 looks lame, we shall see

Mutant

Xenoblade looks horrible. They lost me as soon as I saw the costume for (one of?) the female protagonists.

What the fuck Monolith. Why don't you perverts just draw her naked and be done with it?
They put both panties and a thong on her. Maybe the artist has a redundancy fetish?

Aters

Yep, yep, yep. I'm right there with you! This is unabashed, undeniable male pervert pandering. Nintendo has guaranteed the loss of my sale.

I was so livid about the ridiculous female "outfits" in these games that I personally spoke with someone at Nintendo's marketing department after Xenoblade X came out. The woman I spoke to said that she completely understood and agreed with my feelings on the issue, and would personally deliver my feedback to the localization team..... A whole lot of good that seemed to do.

Please everyone, VOTE with your wallets if you don't approve of this disrespectful and demoralizing female portrayal.

People already voted, Fire Emblem Fate sold very well. I firmly believe FE's success is the reason Nintendo embrace Otaku culture.

I mean, let's not pretend that Xenoblade 1 wasn't already anime as all hell.

Let's not pretend like those designs will change 30 minutes into the game when you pick up new armor.

Let's not pretend the MC's best armor won't be running around in swim trunks like in the first game.

Also, this game looks way better than X, and I loved X, so I guess I'm good there.

Nah I'm skipping it because I personally find the Xenoblade combat system to be trash, the awful character designs are just a bonus.

Trash is a really strong word.

Lol it seems the negativity for Xenoblade is everywhere.

Edit: now I am curious if it's GAF that only has a strong negative reaction to the game.

Trash is a really strong word.

Well like I said, that's my personal opinion of it. It's way too unnecessarily complicated and takes far too long for me.

I loved the world and ideas of X1 and XCX but the actual combat systems just put me off so badly that I barely got 5 hours in to either game. This looks to be no different in terms of the things I don't like about it.

Yeah but this is a story DLC, which will likely require at least a trailer.

Very true, I could see them releasing a trailer via the same method though. Seems like they're reserving Directs for tons of news and finding different venues for anything in between.

I mean, let's not pretend that Xenoblade 1 wasn't already anime as all hell.

Let's not pretend like those designs will change 30 minutes into the game when you pick up new armor.

Let's not pretend the MC's best armor won't be running around in swim trunks like in the first game.

Also, this game looks way better than X, and I loved X, so I guess I'm good there.

Honestly, being able to change the outfit for Pyra would fix 60% of my problems with her design. Won't change the ridiculous balloons on her chest or how the game seems to naturally want her closer to the camera in battles.

Anyway, that stuff doesn't fully deter me from purchasing but it does make it awkward as hell to play as someone who doesn't find that appealing.

Well like I said, that's my personal opinion of it. It's way too unnecessarily complicated and takes far too long for me.

I loved the world and ideas of X1 and XCX but the actual combat systems just put me off so badly that I barely got 5 hours in to either game. This looks to be no different in terms of the things I don't like about it.

I can see XCX being complicated, but XC wasn't really complicated. XC2 seems like they are simplifying the combat but still adding more depth through positioning.

combatboots12

Neo Member

Hey man, there's a some decent cheaper games on Switch rn too. Graceful Explosion Machine is fun, stylish 2D shooter. Snipperclips like I saw you mention in a diff post is great. Mighty Gunvolt Burst is a fun Mega Man-like with customizable weapons. Phantom Trigger is a cool Hyper Light Drifter/2D Zelda style game for $15.

Also I bet those arcade classics are cheap when they drop.

oti

Banned

You can play some demos.

The PuyoPuyoTetris demo is great, especially the Japanese one. It lets you play more rounds than the English one.

The Octopath Traveler demo just came out and it's a must. It's also something like 5h long.

Rayman demo.

Pokémon Tekken demo.

Disgaea Demo.

So there's some stuff to play even without buying a game.

MomoQca

I didn't know the name so I Googled it. Apparently he's a Hentai artist. Classy. Very classy.

giphy.gif

Many artists from Japan actually draw hentai. This is nothing new as Xenogears, Xenosaga, and Xenoblade X all had hentai artists.

I didn't know the name so I Googled it. Apparently he's a Hentai artist. Classy. Very classy.

I betcha at some point, Akira Toriyama drew hentai.

Everyone's a hentai artist. It's more or less just a case of how long you're one before the other most cases.

Bleach was also by a hentai artist.

XandBosch

I betcha at some point, Akira Toriyama drew hentai.

Everyone's a hentai artist. It's more or less just a case of how long you're one before the other most cases.

Bleach was also by a hentai artist.

My father's a hentai artist

-George Costanza

(actual quote is "my father's gay!")

Yeah... My main takeaway is that Xenoblade isn't for me (I switched off for Mario because I want to go in blind). Just, I was cringing even watching the video with the seemingly underage girl wearing barely anything. Which is a shame because I actually liked the look of the gameplay.

Edit: DOOM and Wolfenstein 2 is awesome to be fair. I play my switch 99% docked and have a good gaming PC though so that's where I went for DOOM and will for Wolfenstein. It's a great catch for the system though. If I was actively not buying games coz of the ole backlog I would even double dip on DOOM because it's brilliant

Hey man, there's a some decent cheaper games on Switch rn too. Graceful Explosion Machine is fun, stylish 2D shooter. Snipperclips like I saw you mention in a diff post is great. Mighty Gunvolt Burst is a fun Mega Man-like with customizable weapons. Phantom Trigger is a cool Hyper Light Drifter/2D Zelda style game for $15.

Also I bet those arcade classics are cheap when they drop.

You can play some demos.

The PuyoPuyoTetris demo is great, especially the Japanese one. It lets you play more rounds than the English one.

The Octopath Traveler demo just came out and it's a must. It's also something like 5h long.

Rayman demo.

Pokémon Tekken demo.

Disgaea Demo.

So there's some stuff to play even without buying a game.

Thanks for the suggestions! I'll make sure to check them out. I'm sure I can spare a bit to pick up something to keep me busy, plus I really do wanna try out Octopath Traveller too, really love the visual style that's going for.

I'm skipping the game because I think all of the characters who aren't full grown ass adults look fucking terrible.

Now, I think the older adults have awesome designs. but it looks like anyone who's under 30 is a Tales character from the early 2000s. Naaaaaaah. FUCK naaaah.

Top Bottom