• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Direct Announced | June 21 7:00 AM PT

StueyDuck

Wow, I genuinely didn't think you could get worse than the Sony showcase 🤣.

At least their CG trailers were meant to get you hyped (as shit as they were)

At least their wasn't as many farm games... like what 3 🤷‍♂️

the Mario on Drugs looks nice

Sub Dont Do Drugs GIF

EruditeHobo

Definitely buying 2-3 games in there... not bad, or at least better than the vast majority of Nintendo directs.

I'll take it.

SCB3

Alright, sign me up for all the Mario games and..... Well not a lot else tbh aside from Sonic, I liked the look of that now I've seen a bit more of it, I guess more JRPG's but I've yet to even play XB3 or any of the FE games yet, surprised there were no new NSO Virtual games either

Still nice solid date on the MGS Collection, I wonder if the NES games are also on the Steam version, that collection is looking really well put together imo

Also the fuck WB, why is Batman Arkham Origins always forgotten about?

Last edited:

MagnesD3

I'm still waiting on a real 3d plat from nintendo but at least it looks like that 2d mario is them trying a little. Game of the show is that Sonic Mania team 3d platformer, shit looked good. Show was mid but not awful.

I am super sick of remakes, I wish people didn't buy them

Last edited:

Chukhopops

I’m in for LSD Mario and the Star Ocean 2 Remake, got really good memories of that game and just hearing the soundtrack felt great.

The rest was kinda meh aside from stuff already announced (P5T mostly).

Banjo64

cumsessed
Definitely a wind down menu.

Pokémon DLC
Pikmin 4
2D Mario and the hallucinogenics
Mario RPG

Wasn’t much from third parties either, I’ll buy Vampire Survivors.

Metroid Prime 4 will be a Switch 2 game, either a 3D Mario and/or Donkey Kong will probably be ready too.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Mario RPG and Wonder are definitely day one for me. Star Ocean 2 remake looks good. Was hoping to see a release date announcement for Front Mission 2 (since it's Switch exclusive) but no luck there, I wonder what's taking so long. I was also expecting Metroid Prime 4 to make an appearance.

Not a bad showing overall, but a bit underwhelming - especially knowing that all this stuff is probably going to run like ass on the now ancient hardware.

Zannegan

Not a great direct, but I still won't have time to play everything in there that I'd like to.

There were a fair number of couch co-op games though, which I always appreciate.

poodaddy

Feel like I took crazy pills with the reactions here. Pikmin 4 looks amazing, Mario RPG looks amazing, new Mario looks incredible, Peach game will probably be fantastic, remaster of Luigi's Mansion 2 will undoubtedly be great, MGS collection is a great fit for Switch, fuck man this was great. Nintendo's just trying to make me go broke with all these great games coming out that I just cannot fuckin afford, and Spider Man 2 coming out soon, StarField, FF XVI, Jesus Christ why did the industry decide to stop being shit all at once? Way too many good games this year, I feel like we're gonna pay dearly nearly next year as a result.

Zannegan

On the plus side, they shook up their NSMB art style into something much more appealing. On the other hand, the aesthetic is so on the nose trippy, I wouldn't be shocked if they got raked over the coals for "marketing drugs to children." Lol.

NanaMiku

Wow, is this Mario year or what?

Pretty mediocre Direct for me. WarioWare looks nice though! Reminded me of the Wii version

Chastten

Banned
Oh man, I would be so excited for that Star Ocean remake but I dislike the look with the pixel characters in the realistic world. Make it one or the other, not both :(

Cautiously excited for the New Mario game, Luigi's Mansion 2, the Peach game, Pikmin 1 & 2, MythForce, Silent Hope and a few others, but the only new must-have game here for now was Super Mario RPG.

If this doesn't confirm Nintendo's efforts have shifted towards Switch 2, than I don't know what does.

Last edited:

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
Wow, this is how you do world premier! A brief summary of the game and a gameplay video that explains the game... Actually, everything should be this simple. Of course, if you have something to show.

WarioWare caught my attention. There are no motion controls in the current Wario game on Switch and it's terrible(maybe it's different in the full game, I only played the demo a little bit). 2D Mario didn't seem very interesting, but I think I have a weakness for 2D Marios. I also liked Dragon Quest Monsters. The lifespan of the Switch could be longer than mine

Yeah, Still don't understand the direction of Paper Mario Franchise after Sticker Star.

Miyamoto told the team that they needed a different hook than a traditional turn-based RPG. And also that they weren’t allowed to make variations of existing Mario characters.

Is Square Enix involved with Mario RPG remake?

The copyright info during the Direct said it was Nintendo/Square Enix. I’m sure exact info on who is developing it will be announced at some point.

Normally with games like this nowadays it’s likely Square is doing primary development with supervision by Nintendo.

Last edited:

Timmeehh

Neo Member
Wow, I guess I am not a typical gamer, but this Direct was amazing for me. Was waiting for a new 2D Mario for a long time, and the Luigi remake and Mario RPG were great bonuses.

Was hoping for Wooly World remake tho. But overall really really liked it, and I hated the last few directs.

With all the announcements with 'we'll share more later' (Peach, Luigi, SMBWonder), might it be that they are transitioning to Switch 2 already?

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
I mean isn't that Nintendo though? Mario, Zelda, Pikman, Metroid are all really old franchises that they keep making. I personally love it, but this isn't new, this is what they have always done.
Wasn't just talking about the first party releases though.

But even then, there are sequels or uses of existing IP that are fresh and exciting and then there's remakes and rehashes of the same old same old. No one would complain about this if we were getting Metroid or F-Zero or something we haven't seen in a while, or if these sequels weren't so bland and predictable.

Top Bottom