• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Direct: new presentation announced for tomorrow

jmizzal

Direct was about what you could expect a few months out from E3 especially with a new Console on the horizon.

This
And we got two unannounced games for WiiU and 3DS

Even tho Paper Mario was rumored

Dont know what people were expecting, this was pretty much what was expected, it was even more stuff then the leak

MilesTeg

Banned
Paper mario is another disappointment. Graphics look good too. Best news was MM content. Pokken looks bad, how can a pokemon fighting game turn out so bad

MK_768

No, but they really need to start he hype train on it instead of trying to pad things out like this. They should announce the system early, give us some teasers to build excitement and then go all out at E3. Like Sony and Microsoft did back in 2013. It's way past time for them to move on.

Oh? Who says they aren't? Last I checked it's March...

Nintendo need to get with the times. They should focus on software development and be a third party game producer for Sony and Microsoft, that way the games might not be a generation behind all the time.

Lol, I remember people saying this when the Gamecube was out.

This

Dont know what people were expecting, this was pretty much what was expected, it was even more stuff then the leak

Exactly. Nintendo isn't going to be dropping bombs a few months before E3.

Jintor

Actually, what does Ninty's megatonne calender historically look like? I'd like to see if bombs are ever dropped from Jan - June pre-e3

Heroman

Banned
Not doomed since they have all the money in the world in a bank account. However their strongest assets are their IPs and they are continuously de-valuing them with releasing new products that look very out of date and are just the same thing over and over again since they wait with the innovation for their next console release.

If Nintendo would have the fans best interest in mind they would stop doing hardware and release their games as third party titles. That way games wouldn't get delayed constantly to "the next nintendo console" that is out of sync (generation wise) with other manufacturers. That way their fans get's burned twice since third party developers (EA, Activision etc.) don't find it profitable to develop custom versions of their titles for a sub-par console.
Why would Nintendo go 3rd party for their fans? That doesn't make any sense.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I'm confused--rumors keep being that NCL is having huge issues with Star Fox, but that trailer actually made it look really good.

ChrisD

So that Lost Reavers game though. Has it released anywhere? Is it something to look forward to, or just kind of... there? I wasn't aware it even existed, and I already forgot about it until I saw it on that list above. It's a curious thing that it just went right through my mind.

JTripper

If Nintendo announces the NX through a direct and not a stage show, I will be severely disappointed.

They really have to bring the fucking house down with that shit and not be afraid of it.

Hasney

Actually, what does Ninty's megatonne calender historically look like? I'd like to see if bombs are ever dropped from Jan - June pre-e3

Yeah, in panic mode they are. Obviously gearing up for a new console they're not going to though.

watershed

Banned
Federation Force is one of those games that would clearly benefit from being on stronger hardware. The models look so low poly and even the environments look bare. If they didn't make it for the dsi because the hardware wasn't good enough then they shouldn't have made it for the 3ds as it looks to have the same issue.

One of the worst directs I’ve seen, as bad as the E3 one. I’m honestly glad this was leaked yesterday otherwise it really would have been a waste of 40 minutes.

This year, the only games I want are Pokemon Sun/Moon and Zelda Wii U/NX. Looks like they (3DS and Wii U) will both be dead after release. Everything else shown/announced just bored me to tears.

Heroman

Banned
This

This happens at nearly every post Jan.2013 direct.

I usually get excited for almost anything Nintendo related. I was even dumbfounded at people saying their e3 Dirrct eas bad. But this was definitely their most meh Direct yet. Especially since its been so long.

My opinions from someone who prefers portables:

Whenever I get New 3DS I'll gladly play EarthBound with a sleep mode. Game changer. Maybe a few others. Happy for this.

While I've looked forward to FF since it looks very cool as a new IP with its gameplay on a portable, doubling down on the Metroid brand and apparently making it New 3DS exclusive basically means the online will be dead. It probably won't be worth it since finding games seems like it'll be hard as hell.

Surprised #FE is so soon! Hyped! I await physical confirmation after stuff like FF5 however before getting too hyped.

You may aswell say the Paper Mario game doesn't exist. God damn its Sticker Star 2.0. Just fucking stop already and make a RPG.
Or SPM2 but the rpg Deserves it more.

MHG is cool but I only got MH4U in Nov so I dunno if I'm ready. May just stick with MH4U and wait for the next game since it feels too soon to jump away from my progress. I'm sad at no female FE costumes tho. :(

Hyped for Rythm Heaven! Hopeit has physical release but will get either way.

Biggest thing for me was Kirby. Loved Triple Deluxe so more is cool. Amiibo seems dumb and locked behind content but it doesn't feel like mandatory content like Splatoon. Glad I already got a Smash Kirby because damn at his moveset beng moved over. I will only play that way. :D

NotLiquid

There wasn't much that really got me interested, partly because of the leaked list but mostly because I knew about all that stuff before, anyway.

I'm amused by how mad everyone is, though.

"This was as bad as E3"
"I expected nothing and was still disappointed"

Standard GAF response to Directs it feels. Whatever happened to just "that was okay/bad/average/good"? Shit we got fucking Rhythm Heaven, a game people were clamoring for, and people were still let down? Did people actually expect Fed Force to be different?

It's pretty hilarious how zealous people are about this stuff. There were just as many high points here as there were low points.

Yrael

My expectations were low before watching the Direct, so I certainly wasn't disappointed!

The highlight for me was definitely the confirmation of Monster Hunter X coming to the west as Generations. The SNES VC lineup looks good...hearing that they will be the US versions is nice (it's still baffling to me that the Wii U got the 50 Hz version of DKC2 in Europe and Australia. I don't particularly feel like double dipping on it though to be honest!). There wasn't enough information about the new Paper Mario game to make me feel anything more than mildly interested, but I'll be keeping an eye on it.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
"This was as bad as E3"
"I expected nothing and was still disappointed"

Standard GAF response to Directs it feels. Whatever happened to just "that was okay/bad/average/good"? Shit we got fucking Rhythm Heaven, a game people were clamoring for, and people were still let down? Did people actually expect Fed Force to be different?

It's pretty hilarious how zealous people are about this stuff. There were just as many high points here as there were low points.

This was exponentially better than the absolute disaster that was Nintendo's E3. Not even close to that debacle.

Dweebo

Banned
hahaha the balls on Nintendo to basically say "Here's why you actually want Metroid Prime Federation Force" is hilarious. Wow. No reworking at all done on it. I'm actually kind of impressed.

Tookay

I thought Splatoon, Mario Maker, and FE Fates have been some of Nintendo's best games in the last ten years, honestly.

But I guess I'm not seeing it from everyone else's perspectives.
I think those are good games and were among the exceptions I was thinking about, although I don't love them as much as some do. But everything else (which comprises a vast majority of their output) has not even come close to catching my attention.

So that Lost Reavers game though. Has it released anywhere? Is it something to look forward to, or just kind of... there? I wasn't aware it even existed, and I already forgot about it until I saw it on that list above. It's a curious thing that it just went right through my mind.

How could anyone see that and remember anything though

It looks so terrible it's like a walking memory lapse

Regiruler

Metroid = ISOLATION

How does the series producer not understand this basic concept?!!

Holy fuck is it an awful time to be a Nintendo fan. Fuuuuuck

I do not understand why you people are stuck on this as if it is a divine mandate.

Metroidvanias are already a dime a dozen, so it's not like there is some gaping genre hole. Further, there is very little narrative expansion to be had with such a perspective. Hell, the prime series started drifting towards further story heavy elements, and honestly it was for the better given how tedious it was to make sense of anything in prime 1. Prime 3 worked on defying player expectation (federation base was a good example) and if written well there's nothing stopping federation force from creating a similar experience. Hell, a small bit of that was shown in the form of *suddenly, space pirates*, which would be unexpected in the first run through, but not be unreasonable given the universe.

On the direct as a whole: the pacing alone kept it better than E3. It can't be understated what a gigantic momentum-killer the wolly world interview was.

Chase17

Bravo. If only 95% of other people wee half as smart as you lol

This was a terrible direct but we all should've known this was gonna be about filler games. I'm no mad about the direct, except for Paper Mario, because my expectations are with NX.
Just leaving my opinion. Didn't mean for it to come of condescending.

illusionary

That was pretty decent on the whole, I reckon. My takeaways:

- I'm there day one for the Fire Emblem Fates Special Edition and Star Fox Zero First Print Edition. I'm just praying that we'll see sufficient stock levels!
- Keys in Super Mario Maker were well overdue - good see them at last. The addition of any new tilesets seems completely out of the question now, though.
- Paper Mario: Colour Splash is clearly riffing on Slatoon's paint theme - I'm interested, even if it's no TTYD.
- Hyrule Warriors Legends is Zelda, so I was always going to be getting it (the Special Edition is on pre-order)
- Kirby looks fun, though I can't get overly excited about it just yet.
- SNES titles on N3DS could get costly if I'm not careful!
- Metroid Prime: Federation Force could actually be interesting - it's more on my radar now than it has been to date.

The general leaning of the presentation towards 3DS rather than Wii U does seem somewhat telling. :(

Xtars

Why would Nintendo go 3rd party for their fans? That doesn't make any sense.

Well of course they won't they are a Business and want to make money. However I believe that instead of alienating user bases they should try to maximize consumer availability for their IPs.

So either launch consoles at the same time as other companies with similar specs (to gain third party support so the consoles are a worthwhile investment for the consumer) or go thirdparty and create awesome games with a huge user base.

ironcreed

Banned
I'm just ready to hear about NX is all. There was nothing to get upset about, lol. It is just hard to stay hyped after seeing that kind of content.

Top Bottom