• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Direct: new presentation announced for tomorrow

The Wii U done... lol im sorry you Wii U elitist but please deal with that!

Yep. Anyone interested in a smoking deal on a lightly used wii u with 2 wii motes, pro controller, and a couple of games, PM me.

Paper Mario is the same as the last one

Kirby is the same as the last one

So pretty much the same as almost every Nintendo IP these days?

Man, I think I might just be done with Nintendo. :(

Metalmarc

meh

only thing i liked was the update to splatoon amd mario maker

oh i did like the virtual console games

TOO BAD, i dont have a 'new' 3ds, so fuck me right? thanks nintendo :-/

no intention to by one either epsecially with a new system on the horizon

The_Lump

Banned
Solid Direct. Slightly more than I expected.

If you were expecting Zelda U news/footage then you have no grasp on reality or of the English language.

Even when Nintendo say very clearly that they are showing games coming "THROUGH SUMMER 2016" there are apparently folk who think we'll see a game which no-one in their right mind thinks is launching before December.

Stop being dissapointed that your own unrealistic expectations were not met.

de_reddy

Neo Member
It seems like they totally downplayed project treasure. Even the announcement trailer had more hype. Still curious how this is gonna turn out, will be in the beta for sure! :).

Actually interested in Star Fox for the first time since the damn thing was announced lol.

That's a long time. :|

Funny that, make it look like an actual Star Fox game modeled after the best one ever (64) and suddenly my interest goes from non-existence to oh that actually looks awesome!

Bane

It was fine to me. Nothing amazing but some pretty solid looking stuff.

DQ7
Mario Maker update
Rhythm Heaven
Paper Mario
Kirby
Mini Mario
Monster hunter

Even Star Fox and Federation Force are looking decent (outside of Force's chibi art).

Persona7

Banned

If you were expecting Zelda U news/footage then you have no grasp on reality or of the English language.

Even when Nintendo say very clearly they are showing games coming "THROUGH SUMMER 2016" there are apparently folk who think we'll see a game which no-one in their right mind think is launching before December.

Zelda is going to launch in november lol

Metalmarc

Even when Nintendo say very clearly they are showing games coming "THROUGH SUMMER 2016"

they could have at least showed the nintendo selects

MK_768

Even when Nintendo say very clearly they are showing games coming "THROUGH SUMMER 2016" there are apparently folk who think we'll see a game which no-one in their right mind think is launching before December.

Nintendo has been known to show off games past the focus period. Please expect at least one of these games to slip into the fall. Especially that Paper Mario game.

Nia

I was right to avoid those leaks, and if Nintendo doesn't have their shit together by E3, I will just go on a black out again. Easy to do.

Tookay

*shrug*

I liked Xenoblade X, I liked Smash, I liked Yoshi. I don't consider them "some of the best games in a decade," but I'd call all three of them great games. Last year was pretty bad for the 3DS for me, but 2016 is looking a lot better. The first 3DS game of the year I played was FE and I love it a lot.

Opinions differ, I suppose, but I don't think the last two years have been as bad for me as they seemingly have been for everyone else.

I think opinions definitely differ here.

Outside these games not being everyone's tastes or whatever, there's also a certain desperation that everybody's sensing from Nintendo lately.

Games like Triforce Heroes, Animal Crossing Amiibo Festival, Mario & Luigi, the last two Mario Tennis games, the direction of the Paper Mario series, the handling of Metroid... they are communicating a specific cash-in feeling, even if that feeling isn't fair and even if some of these games turn out to be okay themselves. Disappointing Directs, where we get another unambitious Paper Mario game and another (charming) cash-in end-of-life Kirby platformer, just add to the fatigue.

The_Lump

Banned
Nintendo has been known to show off games past the focus period. Please expect at least one of these games to slip into the fall. Especially that Paper Mario game.

That doesn't mean anyone should expect it.

It certainly doesn't excuse throwing a wobbler when it doesn't happen.

Kindekuma

Banned
I'm not mad...I'm just numb. What are you doing Nintendo, why are you purposely taking series like Metroid and Paper Mario and your company in this direction? Not to mention no cross buy SNES games (can't even get SNES emulation on the OG 3DS).

I fear for an NX line up.

Shiggy

I think opinions definitely differ here.

Outside these games not being everyone's tastes or whatever, there's also a certain desperation that everybody's sensing from Nintendo lately.

Games like Triforce Heroes, Animal Crossing Amiibo Festival, Mario & Luigi, the last two Mario Tennis games, the direction of the Paper Mario series, the handling of Metroid... they are communicating a specific cash-in feeling, even if that feeling isn't fair and even if some of these games turn out to be okay themselves.

And I'm surprised that people still claim a 3rd party future would be even worse.

MK_768

I'm not mad...I'm just numb. What are you doing Nintendo, why are you purposely taking series like Metroid and Paper Mario and your company in this direction? Not to mention no cross buy SNES games (can't even get SNES emulation on the OG 3DS).

um why? Nintendo's main teams aren't even making these crap games lol.

BitStyle

Unconfirmed Member
Is this Your's and others first transitional period? Jezz.

Nah. Just was really salty about the new Paper Mario. It was clouding my entire impression of the direct.
It went just about how I expected it would outside of that. The only saving grace is the new Splatoon content. Any bit of content for that fantastic game helps.
Oh well, bring on the NX!

MK_768

That doesn't mean anyone should expect it.

It certainly doesn't excuse throwing a wobbler when it doesn't happen.

it? Are you talking about Zelda? Cause I dont disagree with you there. Nobody should've expected anything Zelda related to be honest

Tookay

Well, I think the argument for all of this current filler is that Nintendo's saving the big guns for NX.

And, logically, that would make sense. But Nintendo didn't learn their lesson with the 3DS launch in time for the Wii U, so who knows.

Because it's reminiscent of Sticker Star, which was trash.

If you are able to judge a game on it's own merrits and don't just nerdrage away at a game that wanted to do go in a different direction, it's absolutely not trash.

It is flawed (the bosses and some of the puzzles are obtuse and a bit busted), but there is an ansolutely rocksolid adventure game underneath some weird quirks.

Not

Banned
Reading those "OMG HYPE APPROACHING CRITICAL" posts the instant before the direct and then reading the "I'm done with Nintendo" stuff immediately after just makes me smile.

Gaf, you are so damn entertaining.

Tookay

And I'm surprised that people still claim a 3rd party future would be even worse.

I can see some of the argument for why a third-party run would be bad (mostly revolving around the fact that they'd have to focus exclusively on AAA franchise stuff and leave the experimental, quirky, or niche games behind), but given (1) Nintendo's current inability to support one system without neglecting the other and (2) their repeated, elongated console death cycles, I'm beginning to agree with you.

Gartooth

Yeah... this Direct didn't do much for me. The only announcement that caught my attention was the new Kirby game, and even then it is basically Triple Deluxe 2 with a mech slapped on it. I enjoy the games, but that franchise is basically a lost cause for bold directions at this point, same for Star Fox and Mario RPGs. I'm glad I had zero hype for Paper Mario because I completely expected Sticker Star 2.0 which unsurprisingly we got. I already skipped Paper Jam since I didn't like Dream Team, so I guess I will do the same here. It blows since those games were some of my favorite parts of Nintendo's library, but they release so many RPGs on their hardware anyway that I find it hard to care. Same goes for #FE which turned me off since its announcement, which seems crazy since it is an RPG collaboration between Intelligent Systems and Atlus.

*shrug* I'm happy enough to play games in my backlog right now anyway, so I hardly care that Nintendo is releasing filler before their Fall releases. (Pokemon, Zelda) In the meantime I do plan on getting TP HD and Pokken, and might pick up Star Fox and Kirby in the rare event that I actually manage to get through most of my backlog.

Edit: Fuck it, I will get the Kirby game. (...and a Waddle Dee amiibo)

Ever since 2015 it just seems every new Nintendo game announcement is a low budget spin-off. Nx can't come soon enough.
Funny cause when I was in a thread before and ribbed kirby canvas course and something else I got clowned. Now yall see it is true.. the game may be good but that dont mean its low budgey. Its also why I dont eff with indie games like that.

MK_768

If you are able to judge a game on it's own merrits and don't just nerdrage away at a game that wanted to do go in a different direction, it's absolutely not trash.

It is flawed (the bosses and some of the puzzles are obtuse and a bit busted), but there is an ansolutely rocksolid adventure game underneath some weird quirks.

I mean sure...if you have low expectations for an adventure game.

Mik317

every time...every fucking time

when will people finally learn?

Like this buttrage is a carbon copy of every direct since E3.

They did what they said they would...announce the games coming out in summer. Zelda or NX or whatever news...was NEVER going to show up here.

Also with the NX on the horizon these are exactly the type of games to expect right now.

Use your brains instead of your hearts. Be realistic. Nintendo is saving anything that could potentially attract major attention for the NX.

we really shouldn't have to go through this every direct.... holy shit

Everytime they trot Metroid Prime: Chibi Destiny out, I look at it and think. Well, this could have interesting multi-player play to it. It's just a chibi version of Destiny inside a better universe and on a portable.

Also, this was a rather safe Direct. They'll do more before E3, of course.

Well, I love how freaking huge the Bravely Second Art Book is and some of the new stuff about the upcoming games is neat. Looking forward to the RPGs and stuff.

Currently playing Super Mario World. Yisss.....

I think it was okay.

Top Bottom