• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Downloads - July 2009 (VC / WiiWare / DSiWare)

Insaniac said:
any impressions on asphalt?
I used my free 1000 points to get it. I've never played a DS racer before (other than Mario Kart) but it's good fun. The woman talking over race events and the way things wreck reminds me of Cruis'n USA (N64).

It controls well, has a solid framerate, has decent graphics, and seems to have a good variety of modes/events. It has 4 player multi, but I wish it had a demo or multiplayer for those who don't own it.

I don't know yet if I would have actually paid $8 for it. Wait for a professional review.

Edit: I'm surprised they licensed real vehicles for a download game. The car models are nice. The only thing I can think of that it really lacks is online (and offline) leaderboards for race and lap times.

And load times before and after races are whack. Keep that off of my DS!

BASE 10 is great and I beat the zerosum mode easily enough, but one thing that perplexes me....did Nintendo seriously neglect to put in a lefty flip mode? Or am I on crack?

I've read there's an art gallery in BAM Bash, how is it? Anything like Sonic Mega Collection and such where you can view high-res character art to lovely music, etc.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Agent Unknown said:
edit: Watched some vids for Aquia. A game of that caliber would only sell for about a buck on the App store. Same for Box Life.
feel free to back up that claim with an actual example.

ps: neither of the two games is technically possible on the iphone in their current form due to control interface limitations - for aquia you need the instant-response buttons, and for boxlife - the speed & precision of a stylus interface.

Insaniac said:
any impressions on asphalt?
Gonna chime in with my own thoughts...

The graphics are very nice for DS, a bit pixellated but otherwise quite impressive. Some cool lighting effects and such too.

You have a variety of locales (Los Angeles, New York, Monte Carlo, Shanghai, France, Hawaii, etc.) and four different modes (race, cop chase, take 'em out, and a 1 on 1 racing duel).

Lots of licensed cars, and even some bikes as well (I just unlocked a Ducati for purchase). Each car has a couple of colors to choose from and you can tweak them by buying parts and such. Earning money is no problem, so you can go all out with your car purchases, upgrades, etc.

The gameplay is great. Everything controls well and feels smooth.

There's also a camera feature that allows you to take pictures of yourself for billboards in the game. It's a very basic use of the DSi camera, but you'd be surprised at how cool something like this can be. I wish more games did this. To see it in an $8 downloadable title is awesome.

This is easily one of the best racers on the DS. While that's admittedly faint praise, you can rest assured that this is a good game, period.

To address the other set of impressions:

UltimateIke said:
I don't know yet if I would have actually paid $8 for it. Wait for a professional review.
I disagree wholeheartedly with this. It's good enough to be a retail game IMO. To get it for $8 is a steal. And you don't know if it's worth that until a "professional" reviewer tells you so? Come on now. :lol

Speaking of which, this is the only review available as of this post (that I could find anyway): http://dsiware.nintendolife.com/reviews/2009/06/asphalt_4_elite_racing_dsiware

I didn't notice this. I'm not saying you're wrong - I'm sure you're right - but it wasn't a major problem for me.

Agent Unknown said:
I still want them to put something more meaty on the service though like a Metroid Dread type title.

That would likely never happen, it just isn't what the service is intended for. Read the Iwata Asks interiews about DSiWare and learn about the Chotto concept.

Agent Unknown said:
edit: Watched some vids for Aquia. A game of that caliber would only sell for about a buck on the App store. Same for Box Life.

C'mon, man. I may not know as much about what's available on the App Store as you, maybe there are several gems I don't know about, but any of the ArtStyle games really make a joke out of the best App Store games.

UltimateIke said:
I used my free 1000 points to get it. I've never played a DS racer before (other than Mario Kart) but it's good fun. The woman talking over race events and the way things wreck reminds me of Cruis'n USA (N64).

It controls well, has a solid framerate, has decent graphics, and seems to have a good variety of modes/events. It has 4 player multi, but I wish it had a demo or multiplayer for those who don't own it.

Edit: I'm surprised they licensed real vehicles for a download game. The car models are nice. The only thing I can think of that it really lacks is online (and offline) leaderboards for race and lap times.

This sounds alot like Asphalt 2, which was a very very competent game, outside of the inclusion of the Pussycat dolls. I'm wondering how different is it from that.

AlphaTwo00 said:
This sounds alot like Asphalt 2, which was a very very competent game, outside of the inclusion of the Pussycat dolls. I'm wondering how different is it from that.
The gameplay is similar, but it feels a bit tighter in 4, I think. The structure is entirely different. I remember you going from one scenario to the next in 2 (correct me if I'm wrong), but in 4, you have a world map with several different modes for each area.

DaBargainHunta said:
I disagree wholeheartedly with this. It's good enough to be a retail game IMO. To get it for $8 is a steal. And you don't know if it's worth that until a "professional" reviewer tells you so? Come on now. :lol
Professional was probably the wrong word to use. I meant something more along the lines of a review/post like yours that covered more details in the game and gave more insight into the pros and cons of different features. No one would know whether to buy the game or not based off the little I said.

By no means do I think you need IGN to tell you what games to buy. It's just something like that can better help you form an opinion.

And it is definitely worth way more than the $8. Again I used poor word choice and didn't explain myself well. I don't know if just seeing it on the service would have been compelling enough for me to get my credit card out and add points for the sole purpose of buying this game. If I hadn't already had the points, I wouldn't have given the game a second look. But I'm glad that I did because it is a good game, and I do enjoy it.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
if anyone's interested in the sudoku master game on dsiware, it's fantastic. the interface is the best i've used, i like it more than brain age's as far as simplicity goes, even.

the puzzles are really challenging on the easy level, and they give you good incentives to finish them quickly. the presentation is great, plenty of puzzles (and most of them are very difficult i'm guessing). this is definitely worth it's $5.

Jazzem

So thanks to a few comments on the previous page reminding me of the existence of Ys, I decided to download it today, and as such ploughed through Ys Book 1. Positives and negatives are as follows:

+
  • The music. Holy hot damn the music!
  • I love how quick the game is, feels very straight to the point. Probably why it's so short, heh.
  • The cinemas/voice acting, whilst obviously dated, are/is very impressive for the time. The VA is actually surprisingly decent, though (bearably) cheesey!
  • It's overall a very fun game, and the battle system was surprisingly enjoyable.

-
  • "**** YOU YOU SON OF A ***** BOSS!" :(
  • Backtracking! Having to go halfway back through the final dungeon to meet that clutz again, for him to then give you an object necessary to progress which he should've given you earlier, only to then have to go back up and to spend ages trying to pass that mirror maze which I did by fluke the first time...not impressed >=(
  • Slightly sketchy collision, particularly on that hellishly annoying twinhead boss. Slightly related; I think the game suffers from not having a brief invulnerable moment every time you get hit.
  • Did I mention that I flipping hate the bosses? Well I do dammit!

Overall, I enjoyed it, but it's more frustrating than it needs to be. Is Book 2 an improvement? I'll hold off getting into it for a little while, I've had enough crazy enemy ramming action for now!

UltimateIke said:
Professional was probably the wrong word to use. I meant something more along the lines of a review/post like yours that covered more details in the game and gave more insight into the pros and cons of different features. No one would know whether to buy the game or not based off the little I said.

By no means do I think you need IGN to tell you what games to buy. It's just something like that can better help you form an opinion.

And it is definitely worth way more than the $8. Again I used poor word choice and didn't explain myself well. I don't know if just seeing it on the service would have been compelling enough for me to get my credit card out and add points for the sole purpose of buying this game. If I hadn't already had the points, I wouldn't have given the game a second look. But I'm glad that I did because it is a good game, and I do enjoy it.
Thanks for clarifying. I did indeed think you meant that everyone should wait for a review from IGN, etc. before deciding whether it was worth $8, and that just struck me as odd. I'm glad you don't really feel that way. LOL.

As for me, I already used up my free points on Mighty Flip Champs and Paper Plane, so I spent real money on Asphalt 4. However, in my case, I played Asphalt 2 (it seems very few people can say the same) and loved it, so I knew what I was getting here. Otherwise, I don't know if I would have bought it. Of course, I'm glad I did though. It's a great game.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
schlew said:
Question about Bubble Bobble Plus---

Maybe I did something wrong, but after beating Stage A and going out to the menu the game didn't save my progress. When I went back to it, I had to complete Stage A again. Am I missing something? Or does this retain the game's arcade-ish appeal? Just wondering.

See, this is the only thing I don't like about the monthly threads, I did a kinda big impressions' post back about BBPlus back in the day, but I don't feel go diggin' for it in whatever thread it might have been posted in.

Btw, that's how it is, sorry -__- (you always start from the beginning).

Asphalt 4 is my first Asphalt game. But I didn't like it. Most courses are boring an the tuning kind of cumbersome. I unlocked everything in two days and have no intention to play it again. It was kind of too easy and farming the bet races for gold wasn't much fun. The gameplay was okay though.

sfog

Neil said:
Do we think the new chapters of FFIV:TFA will be up tonight like normal updates?

I'd imagine so. In the US, they were put up at the same time as the regular downloads are.

Jazzem said:
So thanks to a few comments on the previous page reminding me of the existence of Ys, I decided to download it today, and as such ploughed through Ys Book 1. Positives and negatives are as follows:

-
  • Backtracking! Having to go halfway back through the final dungeon to meet that clutz again, for him to then give you an object necessary to progress which he should've given you earlier, only to then have to go back up and to spend ages trying to pass that mirror maze which I did by fluke the first time...not impressed >=(

I've been meaning to give this game another shot. The problem I'm having is that I'm in some dungeon with a bunch of columns, and have no clue where to go. I just got the mask taht allows you to see invisible doors. Suppose it's time to look for a walkthrough online.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Jazzem said:
Overall, I enjoyed it, but it's more frustrating than it needs to be. Is Book 2 an improvement? I'll hold off getting into it for a little while, I've had enough crazy enemy ramming action for now!

2's gameplay is a direct continuation of the first game's... there is less backtracking required, and I personally like the game better. The games in Book 1 and 2 are really made to be played back to back. I highly recommend playing it though!

Updated the OP with today's Euro releases.

I've been running a bit behind on updates, and I've managed to miss Japan's DSiWare/WiiWare/VC releases this week - can anyone list them and I'll add them in?

I'm also running behind on new announcements for WiiWare, DSiWare etc. but I'm trying to track back and add them at the mo.

sfog

I've been running a bit behind on updates, and I've managed to miss Japan's DSiWare/WiiWare/VC releases this week - can anyone list them and I'll add them in?

WiiWare: None

DSiWare: Four Electroplankton piecemeal titles at 200 points each (Tracy, Hanenbow, Beatnes, and Nanocarp)

VC: Super Punch-Out!! (SFC) and Sky Kid (Arcade)

KoffiiKat

No Tales of Monkey Island for Europe? PC version GET.

Have to say I'm a bit surprised NoE doesn't want to get a multiplatform title like ToMI out there as soon as humanly possible so as not to lose sales, especially when the price of the WiiWare version is higher. I doubt that many people have a Wii but no PC. :lol

Somnid

I knew this was going to happen at some point (perhaps a humble start to a virtual console portable). Nintendo will start adding Game & Watch Games to DSiWare, schedual as follows:

Ball (July 15)
Flag Man (July 15)
Vermin (July 15)
Judge (July 15)
Helmet (July 29)
Chef (July 29)
Donkey Kong Jr (August)
Mario's Cement Factory (August)
Manhole (August)

200 points apiece.

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ds/dsiware/game_and_watch/index.html

My condolences to people who spent stars on Game & Watch Collection. Hopefully you got it for the collector's value.

[edit] Note that Green House, Oil Panic, and Donkey Kong aren't listed (G&WC), neither are Parachute and Octopus (G&WC2). So those users still have at least timed exclusivity.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Somnid said:
I knew this was going to happen at some point (perhaps a humble start to a virtual console portable). Nintendo will start adding Game & Watch Games to DSiWare, schedual as follows:

Hmm.

It's too bad they aren't bundling them with the G&WG remixes.

Somnid said:

Ball (July 15)
Flag Man (July 15)
Vermin (July 15)
Judge (July 15)
Helmet (July 29)
Chef (July 29)
Donkey Kong Jr (August)
Mario's Cement Factory (August)
Manhole (August)

200 points apiece.

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ds/dsiware/game_and_watch/index.html

My condolences to people who spent stars on Game & Watch Collection. Hopefully you got it for the collector's value.

Hmm, I wonder if G&W Gallery 5 will ever happen? I rather liked the "modern" versions of each game (even if just for the prettier graphics). I even got all 220 stars in G&W4.

I got both G&W Collection for DS (Japan versions though, at least the first was much cheaper than the US version). Don't even know why I got them really; some stupid collector thing. The only Nintendo Club game remotely worth it is Tingle's Balloon Fight.

BikoBiko

Allan Holdsworth said:
Hmm, I wonder if G&W Gallery 5 will ever happen? I rather liked the "modern" versions of each game (even if just for the prettier graphics).
Me too, so strange they haven't made this yet. With these DSiWare releases it'll probably never happen :(

Jak140

I've had pictobits for a while now and I can't seem to get past the excitebike dark stage when the mega checkered blocks start falling. Anyone have any suggestions?

Updated the OP - thanks sfog and Somnid. Anything missing now? I've added all the dated DSiWare stuff, and I'm going to pop in the new dated VC games in a mo.

Capndrake

Cosmonaut X said:
Updated the OP - thanks sfog and Somnid. Anything missing now? I've added all the dated DSiWare stuff, and I'm going to pop in the new dated VC games in a mo.
A few WiiWare games are dated for Europe:

-Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: My Life as a Darklord (Square Enix) on the 17th
-Heracles: Chariot Racing (Neko) and ColorZ (Exkee) on the 24th
-DRiiFT Mania (Konami) in July
-Contra Rebirth (Konami) in August

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
has anybody succeeded in solving puzzle 12-3 in 4 moves? yes, that's base 10, for the uninitiated.

Jak140

blu said:
has anybody succeeded in solving puzzle 12-3 in 4 moves? yes, that's base 10, for the uninitiated.

Yep. I think it involved taking out the top
and bottom row with two 2s, a 1, and a 5
all at the same time.

Top Bottom