• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Downloads - July 2009 (VC / WiiWare / DSiWare)

Somnid

Nintendo finally put up the new Wiiware for next week (7/14):

Hirameki Card Battle: Mekuruka (Tom Create, 1000pts)

RakuRaku Kinen Apori Wii: Kinenka no Isha ga Osheru Nanoka de yameru Houhou (SilverStar Japan, 1000pts)

Mebius Drive (Jorudan Co ltd, 800pts)

Kentei! TV Wii (Kosaido, 1000)

Looks like all Japanese indy games. Specifically I did a double take at the second, it's a application to help you quit smoking. Translated: Easy Quit Smoking Application: A Doctor shows you how to quit smoking in 7 days.

donny2112

So, if Cave Story were to come out tomorrow, is it actually any good? My brief look at the graphics made me think of Atari (not a good thing), and I know it has a cult following somewhere. But is it actually good? Just wondering what the thoughts were on it. :)

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
donny2112 said:
So, if Cave Story were to come out tomorrow, is it actually any good? My brief look at the graphics made me think of Atari (not a good thing), and I know it has a cult following somewhere. But is it actually good? Just wondering what the thoughts were on it. :)

just my opinion of course, but i think it's the best game made by single person since TETRIS.

sfog

donny2112 said:

I haven't spent a ton of time with the PC version, but from what I've played it's a pretty good Metroidvania style action game, with intentionally 8 bit style graphics and audio. It should be worthy of its expected $10 price on WiiWare based on what I've seen so far.

jman2050

beelzebozo said:
just my opinion of course, but i think it's the best game made by single person since TETRIS.

That's giving it too little credit, it's arguably the best game made in years period.

neoism

donny2112 said:
lol coming out tomorrow lol

:(

lyre

donny2112 said:
Short answer: Yes
Long answer: Hell yes.

And if you still don't believe, do spend the next 10 seconds to download it to your preferred device of choice (the 'Hell yes' link) and play it. I picked it up on a whim and I loved every minute of it (even tho I played the 'shoddy' PSP port).

Finally, no, it will not come out tomorrow
ftl

donny2112 said:

A2600_Pitfall.png

youshutyourwhoremouth-7db.png

basically, i'm going to blow up a magazine rack factory every week it doesn't come out

Cave Story is a great side-view "kinda open world" shooter. I wouldn't really call it a Metroidvania game, because the game isn't about exploration or gaining powers that help you get to new areas you saw but couldn't enter. But it is a great shooter with an interesting story, good music, and fun weapons with a unique level-up mechanic.
cave-story-20081006095243844_640w.jpg

cave-story-20081006095229751_640w.jpg

cave-story-20081006095241782_640w.jpg

Note, these screenshots look like they were taken before the upgrade for the Wii, which basically just ups the resolution and fills in details.

Donny2112 said:
Is that from Cave Story? If so, what is going on in that picture?
Yeah, not the best picture. If you look in the center of the picture you can see the main character - he's in the middle of a bunch of explosions from shooting bats (you can see on the right a giant bat with a few smaller bats still surrounding it). You can see a couple small yellow triangles, those give your weapon experience, powering it up, and where you see the red "-4"'s, those are showing damage.

IGN says Tales of Monkey Island is releasing today, Bit Boy is also confirmed so that only leaves one spot open for Wiiware. So don't count on Cave Story coming out.

Captain N said:
any word on how much Monkey Island will be on WiiWare?

Probably a 1000 like the Strong Bad episodes. I just hope the image quality is good, given the restraints of WiiWare game sizes.

Capndrake

DOWNLOAD: BIT BOY'S INCOMING SECRET PULSE COMMANDS POSE A BRAIN CHALLENGE FOR THE ANT NATION

July 13, 2009

This week Nintendo offers three new WiiWare™ games, including a trip through video game history, a strategic tank battle and a virtual twist on an ant farm. Download fans will also find two Virtual Console™ SEGA classics and a Nintendo DSiWare™ game designed to keep the brain sharp.

WiiWare

Bit Boy!!
Publisher: Bplus
Players: 1-2
ESRB Rating: E (Everyone)
Price: 600 Wii Points
Description: Get ready for the most spectacular journey through time in the history of video games!! Accompany Bit Boy Kubi through a crazy pixellated adventure and battle hordes of nasty monsters in 4-bit dungeons, 8-bit caves, 16-bit strongholds, 32-bit labyrinths, 64-bit arenas and 128-bit worlds!! Rescue Kubi's friends!! Set off in the ultimate pursuit of fruits and high scores!! Grab a friend for even more fun in Cooperative mode!! The Wii Remote is your joystick – let the arcade adventure begin!!

Incoming!
Publisher: JV Games Inc.
ESRB Rating: E (Everyone) – Mild Cartoon Violence
Price: 500 Wii Points
Description: The goal of Incoming! is to defeat your opponents by destroying their tanks using the arsenal you have at your disposal. Advanced arsenals become available at different levels of the game. Incoming! is great fun for two people to play competitively. Can you defeat your opponent's tanks before they conquer yours? Collect power-ups to give your arsenal that tactical advantage. Your firing must be quick and your aim true to claim victory.

Ant Nation
Publisher: Konami Digital Entertainment
Players: 1
ESRB Rating: E 10 + (Everyone 10 and Older) – Mild Violence
Price: 700 Wii Points™
Description: The beloved childhood pastime of lazy Sundays spent with a magnifying glass and an ant farm finally arrives in its most mischievous form via the WiiWare service. You must train your colony of Super Ants using a devilishly fun toolset. Zap, torch and manipulate your ants to make them numerous enough and tough enough to survive a variety of increasingly difficult challenges.
• Zap your ants with lasers, fry them with your trusty magnifying glass, send down lightning and much more to build them to be the strongest Ants on the block.
• Send your ants into war against local bullies like spiders and ladybugs. Is your colony ready for the fight?
• 100 missions keep you busy facing a smorgasbord of fun and wacky tasks.
• Bonus mode features 20 additional challenges that allow you to get crazy with all your favorite weapons of ant destruction.
• Use your Wii Remote™ controller to drop a virtual hammer on your ants, use your Wii Remote like a metal detector to find in-game gold and much more.

Virtual Console

Secret Command™
Original platform: SEGA Master System
Publisher: SEGA
ESRB Rating: E 10+ (Everyone 10 and Older) – Mild Violence
Price: 600 Wii Points
Description: Play as a lone warrior, armed to the teeth, sent on a top-secret commando mission behind enemy lines to liberate your comrades at arms. Released on the SEGA Master System in Europe as Secret Command, players will battle frenzied attacks from enemy soldiers, rocket troops, tanks and other enemies doing everything they can to stop you from saving the hostages. Use your trusty machine gun and a compound bow, equipped with explosive-tipped arrows, to pave the way to victory. Let nothing stand in your path. Play it with a friend in two-player mode for double the fire power.

Pulseman™
Original platform: SEGA Genesis
Publisher: GAME FREAK
ESRB Rating: E (Everyone) – Animated Violence
Price: 900 Wii Points
Description: When noted 21st-century scientist Doc Yoshimaya fell in love with one of his C-Life artificial-intelligence creations, he uploaded himself into his computer, where her program core merged with his DNA, and half-human/half-C-Life Pulseman was born. Doc Yoshimaya's mind twisted as he emerged back into real life, and he became evil Doc Waruyama. Use Pulseman's ability to harness electricity as a weapon with his Volteccer attack as a means of rapid transport to fight Waruyama's Galaxy Gang across seven crazy stages. Find out why this SEGA Channel classic was widely regarded as one of the best-looking games for SEGA's MEGA DRIVE (Genesis) on release.

Nintendo DSiWare

Brain Challenge®
Publisher: Gameloft
ESRB Rating: E (Everyone) – Mild Cartoon Violence
Price: 800 Nintendo DSi Points™
Description: Just like your body, your brain needs exercise to stay in shape. Brain Challenge is a simple, entertaining solution for stimulating your neurons that goes way beyond logic tests. Thanks to a complete range of 48 mini-games, Brain Challenge provides an exceptional variety of exercises. Not only can you train your brain for Math but also for four other categories: Logic, Focus, Memory and Visual. Plus an original Stress Mode, featuring multitasking and authority challenges, Plus, you can now personalize your profile and some exercises with your own photos.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Dear Nintendo,

Your copy writer is suffering from schizophasia. I know employers frequent provide inadequate medical coverage in America, but I think this guy deserves treatment.

I mean, when you first hired the guy, your customers were laughing with him... then after a little while, they started laughing at him... and now they're not laughing at all, they're just awkwardly staring at the guy verbally peeing himself in the middle of the room.

Pulseman? Well, damn. I didn't think this one was coming out. The story also sounds really creepy.

donny2112 said:
I know it has been answered several times, but yes, Cave Story is a good game. I'd say fantastic. And I'm patiently waiting for the Wiiware version to come out so I can go for the final challenge.

antispin said:
Is Ant Nation as awesome as it sounds?
There was a demo for the DS version on the Nintendo Channel a while back. Basically you have two types of ants (workers and fighters), and you wait around for food and other items to randomly pop up on the map. If you don't pick up the food fast enough larger insects will come after it and you have to send your fighter ants after them. Picking up stuff on the map lets you build more chambers in your anthill so you can recruit more ants, also some items on the map activate bonus challenges and completing them lets you upgrade your ants or something, I forgot.

AniHawk

It is really cool to see companies localizing games that never came out though. That's one advantage the VC has over the other download services (that I'm aware of).

OMG 2 VC games! Finally! Hopefully that's the end of the horrible 1 game per week cycle.

Shame TOMI episode 1 didn't come out today but I'll gladly pick up pulseman :D

Does anyone think its a bit strange how Game Freak is listed as the publisher? Typo? or are they really being counted as the publisher?

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Okay, so which happens first:

A) person complains that there aren't three VC releases this week

B) person complains about only one DSiWare release this week.

C) person complains about people complaining about the release schedule.

Wait a second...

stuminus3

No Monkey Island? Phooey.

Console manufacturers have got to be a thorn in the side of Telltale's "sitcom" model. On PC they're at the mercy of nobody but themselves. Still waiting on more W&G episodes on XBLA, too...

antispin

nincompoop said:
There was a demo for the DS version on the Nintendo Channel a while back. Basically you have two types of ants (workers and fighters), and you wait around for food and other items to randomly pop up on the map. If you don't pick up the food fast enough larger insects will come after it and you have to send your fighter ants after them. Picking up stuff on the map lets you build more chambers in your anthill so you can recruit more ants, also some items on the map activate bonus challenges and completing them lets you upgrade your ants or something, I forgot.
Hmm, intriguing. Will check out videos. Thanks

Capndrake

Nuclear Muffin said:
Kubos isn't out on the US DSi shop and Mario VS DK isn't on the EU shop so you can't get both yet unless you have a JPN DSi.
MvsDK isn't out in Japan either so that's not possible either :p

Shiggy said:
There will be no Icarian on US WiiWare.

Indeed - abandon all hope, Anihawk.

It'll probably be called NyxQuest - and it may be that the issue with naming is what is accounting for the delay

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Oh I get it. They used the name Secret Command so they wouldn't have to pay for the license.

Top Bottom