• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Downloads - July 2012

rjc571

Banned
Every single Club Nintendo survey...

"What did you like about this game?"
"It was fun. Not half as fun as NeoGeo Pocket Color support for 3DS Virtual Console though."

I bought Dot Runner Complete!

It's pretty neat I suppose. Really strong 3D, graphics don't look half-bad either. Tron joke are pretty commonplace. It's sort of like a first-person Pacman with (very) light RPG elements.

I also bought Dot Runner, blindly, because I read that it was a sequel to GO series PicDun. Turns out it's actually a sequel to another game called PickDun, which is a completely different game made by the same people. Whoops!

It's pretty cool though, it's more of a PacMan meets puzzle game than PacMan meets RPG, as the game often tasks you with certain (sometimes arbitrary) objectives and limitations that you must meet in order to pass a level, which make figuring out how to solve the level not so obvious. One especially annoying level forced you to complete the entire level while only strafing or turning to your left; if you pressed any button other than the left d-pad or left shoulder button then it would fail you at the end of the level.

I also bought Dot Runner, blindly, because I read that it was a sequel to GO series PicDun. Turns out it's actually a sequel to another game called PickDun, which is a completely different game made by the same people. Whoops!

It's pretty cool though, it's more of a PacMan meets puzzle game than PacMan meets RPG, as the game often tasks you with certain (sometimes arbitrary) objectives and limitations that you must meet in order to pass a level, which make figuring out how to solve the level not so obvious. One especially annoying level forced you to complete the entire level while only strafing or turning to your left; if you pressed any button other than the left d-pad or left shoulder button then it would fail you at the end of the level.

This sounds bad. I'm still having a difficult time mastering the strafing mechanic.

:(

donny2112

3588 reviews when I downloaded MSF a short while ago. Can check in a week or two to see the minimum increase, probably from this weekend's sale.

Well, it's been two weeks today, and the total now is 3938. That'd be a ~10% increase in 2 weeks after being on sale for 29 weeks prior. Would need a curve of reviews since launch to be sure, but assuming most were from the first couple of months, that seems like a decent increase. If it got people to notice your game that were not going to buy it previously, it's not bad.

beje

Banned
I just saw the trailer for Planet Crashers, but I still cannot grasp what is it about. Can somebody fill me in?

rjc571

Banned
This sounds bad. I'm still having a difficult time mastering the strafing mechanic.

:(

You can actually complete the level really easily since it lets you pass if you just activate the dot arrows, even if you don't collect a single dot. But it seems impossible to get the gold star for that level since you have to avoid enemies if you want to collect the dots

Murrah

Banned
Just played about an hour of Wario Land for the first time in like 10 years. Definitely still awesome and all, but it just solidified the fact that I like 2 a lot more; little things like ground pound being tied to a powerup just rubs me the wrong way. But whatever, great game regardless. Looking forward to playing the rest. I just hope they don't make us wait too long for 2 and 3

Katsuragi

I'm having a blast playing Wario Land II.
Just beat Princess Syrup and discovered that there are multiple endings and different paths. Great stuff! I'll definitely try to collect all treasure pieces and complete the big painting.)

HYDE

Banned
Just finished it. "Perfect Game" at four hours and two minutes.

Bring on Wario Land II.

And 3 and 4 (for non-Ambassadors).

I am hoping for a Zelda month, with both Oracle games, Minish Cap, and the original black and white release of Link's Awakening.

BooJoh

I just saw the trailer for Planet Crashers, but I still cannot grasp what is it about. Can somebody fill me in?

It's a very simplistic dungeon crawler RPG. You basically just pick up quests, go into dungeons, and complete one quest at a time. There were some pretty detailed impressions of it between DavidDayton and myself on the previous page of this thread starting at post #1467.

beje

Banned
It's a very simplistic dungeon crawler RPG. You basically just pick up quests, go into dungeons, and complete one quest at a time. There were some pretty detailed impressions of it between DavidDayton and myself on the previous page of this thread starting at post #1467.

Just read those. Not worth 10€ to me, will probably wait for discount.

GWX

I, for one, approve of Mole Mania's release.

Everyone needs to buy it.

Everyone.

I spent half an hour playing this a couple of hours ago. I'm so glad I bought it, it's awesome! Also bought Colors! 3D, and only visited the gallery for now, but it looks really polished and well made. Now I'm wondering what to do with the remaining R$9.00 (eShop converts that to $5.00, I believe) left in my account :/ Wario Land, maybe?

Roto13

I spent half an hour playing this a couple of hours ago. I'm so glad I bought it, it's awesome! Also bought Colors! 3D, and only visited the gallery for now, but it looks really polished and well made. Now I'm wondering what to do with the remaining R$9.00 (eShop converts that to $5.00, I believe) left in my account :/ Wario Land, maybe?

Wario Land definitely.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.

Not sure what else you have, but; Link's Awakening > Wario Land > Donkey Kong 94, if you're looking for a Game Boy title. Although most will swear DK94 is the best Game Boy title ever.

The only correct answer is Mutant Mudds.

GWX

Not sure what else you have, but; Link's Awakening > Wario Land > Donkey Kong 94, if you're looking for a Game Boy title. Although most will swear DK94 is the best Game Boy title ever.

Already got Donkey Kong (and while not listed there, Mario's Picross, which is also amazing). Link's Awakening DX is $6.00, isn't it? Ain't got the money for it - just want to use the money I already have in my account =(

edit: Well, the other games I have: Pushmo, Mighty Switch Force, Art of Balance Touch, Dillon's Rolling Western, 3D Classics: Kirby's Adventure, Zen Pinball, Bomb Monkey, Mutant Mudds, Kirby Dream Land and four DSiWare games (Zelda Four Swords, Art Academy First Semester, Mario vs. DK and PiCTOBiTS). Played VVVVVV already on my PC.

Tunavi

Banned
Got colors 3D. Always wanted a drawing pad so this is a cheap alternative

Just realized I've never actually played Super Mario Bros.

Guess I should get on that.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Just nabbed Colors 3D in preparation for my XL - Colors + larger touch screen = win.

It really does have a nice interface I have to say, good refinement over the DSi prototype.

Roto13

colors 3d is mindblowingly cool for 4 bucks. too bad I cant draw well :p
Yeah. :p When I bought it I spent like 8 hours drawing Lana from Archer and it looks like a child's scribbles compared to basically everything in the gallery, but it was satisfying.

zroid

Banned
It's tempting to pick up Art Academy just so I can maybe perhaps possibly draw something in Colors that isn't absolute shit and doesn't make me want to poke my eyes out

Drago

It's tempting to pick up Art Academy just so I can maybe perhaps possibly draw something in Colors that isn't absolute shit and doesn't make me want to poke my eyes out
Yeah, this. I suck at drawing :(

Once it releases in NA (is there a date?) I'll download it. Will probably be my first digital retail title.

Still, for $4 Colors is a fantastic painting viewer :p

Hale-XF11

Yeah, Colors! 3D is perfect for viewing all the latest and greatest pieces of 3D art. I like that I can sit, veg out, hit play and watch people's work come to life. Great way to learn too, of course.

M3d10n

I don't know anything about software or hardware, so with that preface, why couldn't Nintendo just put a link cable utility on the eShop? Start it up, it searches for other people with the link cable utility set to search mode, asks if you want to connect. That utility runs in the background until connection fails or you cancel it. Then, when the 3DS enters Gameboy mode (are they still doing per-title emulation? I guess that would make it more difficult), the Gameboy would think it was linked to another Gameboy.

That would never work because such tool would need to hook into the 3DS OS itself (it canot run two "games" at once).

Emulating the game-link should be similar to emulating a 2nd gamepad via TCP/IP: both sides must be running into a synchronous lockstep so the same data is send/received at the same frames.

M3d10n

Did you add credits using a credit card? If so, you can add exactly the amount of credits you need for your purchase. Just try to purchase something without enough credits and a new option will show up. In the Brazil eShop, it's "adicionar créditos necessários".

Example:

You have R$ 9 and want to buy a R$12 game, you can add only R$3 this way.

Tunavi

Banned
HjjMl.png

traced this picture of my friend, the photo overlayer functionality is incredible

GWX

Did you add credits using a credit card? If so, you can add exactly the amount of credits you need for your purchase. Just try to purchase something without enough credits and a new option will show up. In the Brazil eShop, it's "adicionar créditos necessários".

Example:

You have R$ 9 and want to buy a R$12 game, you can add only R$3 this way.

Yes, I'm aware of that. I just don't want to spend more money and have to make another transaction with my dad's credit card (I don't have one for now, will have soon), so I asked for a recommendation here about what to do with the remaining R$9.00. I'm seriously thinking about getting Wario Land (given the recommendations here, thanks guys), but I'm not sure I will enjoy it that much =/

Also, thanks for the help =)

isny

napkin dispenser
And 3 and 4 (for non-Ambassadors).

I am hoping for a Zelda month, with both Oracle games, Minish Cap, and the original black and white release of Link's Awakening.

This with Link to the Past GBA instead of the original LA would probably be more likely, as the color version of LA is the superior version.

Baconbitz

Banned
I have a problem with planet crashers. I continue to die in a dungeon. If I escape I loose an item. I can't buy anything 'cause I keep loosing battles. Any tips?

BooJoh

I have a problem with planet crashers. I continue to die in a dungeon. If I escape I loose an item. I can't buy anything 'cause I keep loosing battles. Any tips?

Take quests on the first floor to build up money and collect items. Use your buff items (Bucklers and food) before you enter battle and they'll wear off after the battle is over, heal up after battles. Prioritize weapon reward quests if you can handle them.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Why did I buy Triple Trouble. Game Gear games for the most part are fucking awful, especially the Sonic games.

The GG Mickey games are what I want.

Alright, against my (Stump's) better judgment, I went with Mole Mania over Wario Land. It's pretty awesome, if dated (playing it felt like an early GB game but it says it's from '97). This has instantly jumped up to the top of my "needs a 3DS sequel/mole fella should be in Smash Bros" lists.

Someone give me a review of Planet Crashers--I love the concept but then I watched the trailer on the eShop and it looks like some massive jank.

Pietepiet

Yeah, I'm curious about Planet Crashers myself.

Bought Wario Land II yesterday. Still so good <3 And this is the first time I'm experiencing the colour version.

Qurupeke

Wario Land is amazing. Actually, I think it's better than the Super Mario Land games. Can't wait to buy Wario Land II.

Also, has anyone heard anything about Pokémon Pinball? With games like Pokémon Red/Blue and Gold/Silver definitely not coming, Pokémon Pinball seems the best choice for a Pokémon fan...

Also, has anyone heard anything about Pokémon Pinball? With games like Pokémon Red/Blue and Gold/Silver definitely not coming, Pokémon Pinball seems the best choice for a Pokémon fan...
I wouldn't rule out the GB/GBC Pokémons quite yet. Even if they're single player only, they're still pretty lengthy RPGs and have some good value for that.

I do think we'll see the spinoffs like Pinball, Puzzle Challenge and maybe TCG first though.

rjc571

Banned
That's not exactly a high bar to surpass.

Indeed, the first Super Mario Land game must be the worst game that Nintendo's ever produced. It honestly feels more like one of those unlicensed Chinese knockoff games like Somari or Mario World NES than an actual, Nintendo-developed Mario game. Super Mario Land 2 was a huge improvement but was still way too short and too easy to compare to the rest of the series. Wario Land, on the other hand, is fantastic in every way!

Murrah

Banned
Indeed, the first Super Mario Land game must be the worst game that Nintendo's ever produced. It honestly feels more like one of those unlicensed Chinese knockoff games like Somari or Mario World NES than an actual, Nintendo-developed Mario game. Super Mario Land 2 was a huge improvement but was still way too short and too easy to compare to the rest of the series. Wario Land, on the other hand, is fantastic in every way!

Shhhh, don't disturb the crazy Nintendo Download locals - some of them actually think the first Mario Land's a good game

I know

I know

Shhhh, don't disturb the crazy Nintendo Download locals - some of them actually think the first Mario Land's a good game

I know

I know

You obviously have no taste i games if you think the first Mario Land is a bad game

Wawawa! What a loser!

...anywayz: Got to the woods in Wario Land and now I can't go back into the previous worlds lol. I want more games that do stuff like this for no reason whatoever :D

Roto13

You obviously have no taste i games if you think the first Mario Land is a bad game

Wawawa! What a loser!

...anywayz: Got to the woods in Wario Land and now I can't go back into the previous worlds lol. I want more games that do stuff like this for no reason whatoever :D

Play a couple more levels. :p

BooJoh

Top Bottom