• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Downloads - May 2015

donny2112

Super Metroid has difficulty in timing jumps,

Don't know about EU, but I noticed this when playing off-screen on the U.S. version. It's due to the frame difference between the GamePad and TV. Had to adjust my speed boost actions a bit earlier to account. Think it's just an artifact of Off-TV play for all VC games, though.

That Stone Shire game looks bad.

I bought it. I'm a sucker for bad Minecraft clones, I own tons from the Xbox Live Indie section.

Stone Shire is probably the worst one I have played.

You choose between three biomes - grassland, tundra, or desert - and that's what the entire map will be, you can't have a little bit of each type on the same map. This isn't surprising, as the worlds are laughably small. I didn't count blocks, but it takes seconds to walk from one side of the map to the other. Also doesn't take long to dig to the bottom.

The crafting is a joke. You can turn wood into planks, sand into glass, ore into metal blocks. Oh and you can make pickaxes. And unless I'm missing something, that's it. I even checked the digital manual and it didn't show anything else.

Within 5 minutes of playing I had reached the bottom of the world and had 6 diamond pickaxes, which are obviously the best you can craft. Oh and it doesn't seem like they break, so once you craft one you apparently have it forever. So.... I guess I did everything there is to do in the game in 5 minutes.

There are no enemies, no animals, no water (that I noticed).... there's nothing. I read that animals and such as supposed to be added in a later update. They probably should have waited until at least that point to release this game. Charging $8 (introductory price, no less) for this is an insult.

On a positive note... you can dual wield pickaxes? That's pretty much all I got.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
I bought it. I'm a sucker for bad Minecraft clones, I own tons from the Xbox Live Indie section.

Stone Shire is probably the worst one I have played.

You choose between three biomes - grassland, tundra, or desert - and that's what the entire map will be, you can't have a little bit of each type on the same map. This isn't surprising, as the worlds are laughably small. I didn't count blocks, but it takes seconds to walk from one side of the map to the other. Also doesn't take long to dig to the bottom.

The crafting is a joke. You can turn wood into planks, sand into glass, ore into metal blocks. Oh and you can make pickaxes. And unless I'm missing something, that's it. I even checked the digital manual and it didn't show anything else.

Within 5 minutes of playing I had reached the bottom of the world and had 6 diamond pickaxes, which are obviously the best you can craft. Oh and it doesn't seem like they break, so once you craft one you apparently have it forever. So.... I guess I did everything there is to do in the game in 5 minutes.

There are no enemies, no animals, no water (that I noticed).... there's nothing. I read that animals and such as supposed to be added in a later update. They probably should have waited until at least that point to release this game. Charging $8 (introductory price, no less) for this is an insult.

On a positive note... you can dual wield pickaxes? That's pretty much all I got.

Well I can say that's even worse than I expected...

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Went on a small buying spree yesterday...

PADZ for 3DS, DKC, DKC2, DKC 3, and MM Battle Network 3 for Wii U, as well as Club Nintendo rewards Zelda II and Super Mario World.

LayLa

Has anyone bought Kirby Epic Yarn on Wii U?
I just looked at the eshop page for it and under the accessories section it says:

Whereas other Wii games on Wii U (such as Kirby's Adventure Wii) say:

And don't mention the Gamepad at all, so I was wondering whether they actually made it so you could play Epic Yarn with the Gamepad as a controller or if that's just a mistake on the eshop.

To follow up on this Epic Yarn does NOT support the Gamepad as a controller, the official description is wrong.

Robin64

To follow up on this Epic Yarn does NOT support the Gamepad as a controller, the official description is wrong.

Thought that'd be the case, but it's a bit silly they list it. Just checked, they say the GamePad is a supported controller on the website page too. Tch.

terrisus

Stranger things have happened.

The 3DS eShop version of Myst still shows it as being the 3DS version of Myst...
When, in fact, it's the horribly worse DS version of Myst.

For those not noticing the difference...
Notice that all the movement/interaction takes place, on the top, non-touch, screen
Not the lower, touch screen.

In other words, you have to move a tiny cursor around on the top screen with the D-pad to interact with stuff.
As opposed to, you know, just tapping it on a touchscreen.

I actually got Nintendo to refund me my purchase of it due to that, over 2 years ago
And yet it's still like that.

BooJoh

Stranger things have happened.

The 3DS eShop version of Myst still shows it as being the 3DS version of Myst...
When, in fact, it's the horribly worse DS version of Myst.

For those not noticing the difference...
Notice that all the movement/interaction takes place, on the top, non-touch, screen
Not the lower, touch screen.

In other words, you have to move a tiny cursor around on the top screen with the D-pad to interact with stuff.
As opposed to, you know, just tapping it on a touchscreen.

I actually got Nintendo to refund me my purchase of it due to that, over 2 years ago
And yet it's still like that.

Actually I'm pretty sure that is the 3DS version. I haven't played it, but as I understand the DS version had the environment on the bottom screen. In addition, the screenshot you posted has a widescreen top screen, which isn't possible in a DS game. Also NintendoLife's review describes the same problems you had.

What's confusing me here is that NOA's page shows a completely different interface while NOE's page shows what you've described.

Chopper

Paper Mario:

So... Dark...

I haven't played the game in years, so was hoping I wouldn't really notice. But it's dull as dishwater. :(

terrisus

Actually I'm pretty sure that is the 3DS version. I haven't played it, but as I understand the DS version had the environment on the bottom screen. In addition, the screenshot you posted has a widescreen top screen, which isn't possible in a DS game. Also NintendoLife's review describes the same problems you had.

What's confusing me here is that NOA's page shows a completely different interface while NOE's page shows what you've described.

Been a while since I played it, obviously. I just remember at the time comparing it directly to Myst for DS (which I also owned) and it was literally exactly the same. Maybe they did update things a bit and my memory just sucks.

Either way though, at launch it was bad enough for Nintendo to actually give me a refund on it, and yet nothing was done about it.

Pokemaniac

Paper Mario:

So... Dark...

I haven't played the game in years, so was hoping I wouldn't really notice. But it's dull as dishwater. :(

From some stuff I've seen online, it seems that a lot of Paper Mario's assets are actually abnormally dark to begin with.

Pokemaniac

would I still get it if I buy it now :(

http://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/Bydi-gOm4PyzWMDO-FUXaj1EkAUALJ51 said:
Bonus: Get a free Immortal Dragon Relic Present Code when you buy the Puzzle & Dragons Z + Puzzle & Dragons Super Mario Bros.™ Edition game for Nintendo 3DS in the Nintendo eShop. You’ll find the Present Code and redemption instructions for the free Relic on your Nintendo eShop receipt. The relic will be available when the game launches. Present codes available until 05/31/2015 11:59 PM PDT.

Sounds like the promotion lasts until the end of the month.

Little Devil Inside is coming to the Wii U ! It sounds like the Wii U version will come out after the others, but still I'm excited!.

https://twitter.com/ProjectLDI/status/602230844544024576

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ldi/little-devil-inside/description

"Little Devil Inside is a truly engaging 3D action adventure RPG game where you are thrown into a surreal but somewhat familiar setting with humans, creatures and monsters to interact with, learn and hunt - journey, survive and discover the world that exists beyond.

This game is not just about killing arch-demons and saving the world. Take in the atmosphere and live a realistic life in an unrealistic world. This is a game that tells stories about people with 'unusual' jobs such as hunting monsters and what happens in their everyday life doing so."

Any guesses for the next N64 title we'll get? I assume we won't get anything 3rd party until 2018 at best. I think it will be one of Smash, Kart, or Yoshi's Story.

terrisus

Any guesses for the next N64 title we'll get? I assume we won't get anything 3rd party until 2018 at best. I think it will be one of Smash, Kart, or Yoshi's Story.

I give roughly a 0% chance of Super Smash Bros. or Mario Kart 64 happening anytime within the next year or so.

Robin64

Wave Race 64, F-Zero X, or Yoshi's Story. Just based on the first year of Wii releases and what is unlikely to happen. (Ocarina of Time or Star Fox 64? Probably not with the 3DS ones out)

BooJoh

It's still May, maybe we'll get Mega Man 64
ahahaha hahaha... haha... :(

But seriously, I'd be happy with F-Zero or Yoshi Story. The N64 Wii VC library was small so they could easily exhaust those titles quickly if they give us more than one per month.

I wonder what will happen with Pokémon Snap though, since it was modified to use Wii system features.

steveovig

I'd love Yoshi's Story since I've never really played it much. I always hoped it would be a CN reward but it never popped up there.

Simbabbad

I'd love Yoshi's Story since I've never really played it much. I always hoped it would be a CN reward but it never popped up there.
I had it on Wii, it's much better than people give it credit for. It's the structure that is very arguable (if you don't care about scoring, you can eat all the fruits you come across and it's baby level easy, and if you do care about scoring, the game can feel slow, unfair and frustrating). But it's cute, gorgeous and full of ideas.

jholmes

I had it on Wii, it's much better than people give it credit for. It's the structure that is very arguable (if you don't care about scoring, you can eat all the fruits you come across and it's baby level easy, and if you do care about scoring, the game can feel slow, unfair and frustrating). But it's cute, gorgeous and full of ideas.

Yeah I think the world caught up to Yoshi's Story in a way. The structure was really weird when it came out but I think it's an easier concept to accept today. The game isn't exactly perfect but it is fun and the presentation still holds up.

terrisus

Re: Yoshi's Story
I bought it the day it came out, and I had every single path/level completed before the day was over.

Sure, there's trying for a higher score...
But, meh.

Nairume

Banned

I guess it's a better time than ever to pull out the handy dandy 64 Virtual console list to see what's possible

These are N64 games released in North America by publishers/rights holders that are also putting games on the NA WiiU VC (those being Nintendo, Capcom, Konami, Namco, and Koei). Obviously not every game in this list is going to make it because the trickle, the Wii VC being almost entirely first party games for 64 games, and general industry politics, but here's what we could possibly expect.

Bolded games are games that should have no issue

Italicized are games that may have issues but could possibly happen to varying degrees of possibility

Games not bolded or italicized are games that won't happen or have been confirmed to not be happening.

Already Released/Confirmed for release

Nintendo
Blast Corps (MS/Rare?)- Who kept the rights to this one?
Bomberman 64- Nintendo published but Hudson developed. Konami's been weird about putting Hudson games on the eShop, so who knows
Bomberman Hero- Ditto
Command & Conquer- Licensing issues with EA, so lol
Diddy Kong Racing- Unlikely due to MS owned characters. DS port is more likely.
Dr. Mario 64
Excitebike 64- Likely to run into issues due to using licensed brands, but could still happen if they either reup the license or edit the licensed brands out (both of which have happened before)
F-Zero X
GoldenEye 007- Stuck in licensing hell
Hey You, Pikachu!- Would need to emulate microphone, but not impossible
Ken Griffey Jr's Slugfest- Licensing
Killer Instinct Gold- Owned by Microsoft
Kirby 64
Kobe Bryant in NBA Courtside- Licensing
Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask (Won't happen any time soon due to the 3DS remake, but could eventually happen)
Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time
Major League Baseball Featuring Ken Griffey Jr- licensing
Mario Golf
Mario Kart 64
Mario Party- Supposed issues with controls
Mario Party 2
Mario Party 3
Mario Tennis
Mickey's Speedway USA- Licensing with Disney
Mischief Makers- Licensing with SquareEnix, probably won't happen in the US
New Tetris- Given Tetris GB was delisted, it appears this won't happen while Ubisoft is publishing tetris games
Pilotwings 64
Pokemon Puzzle League
Pokemon Snap
Pokemon Stadium- Won't happen due to reliance on transfer pak
Pokemon Stadium 2- Won't happen due to reliance on transfer pak
Ridge Racer 64- Likely to encounter licensing issues, but not entirely out of the question
Sin & Punishment
Starcraft 64- Licensing issues from ActiBlizzard. Won't happen.
Star Fox 64
Star Wars Episode I Racer- Licensing with Disney/LucasArts
Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire- Licensing with Disney/LucasArts
Super Smash Bros
Tetrisphere- Same situation as The New Tetris
Waialae Country Club- Licensing issues
Wave Race 64
Yoshi's Story

Capcom

NamcoBandai

Konami/Hudson
Deadly Arts
Goemon's Great Adventure
Hybrid Heaven
International Superstar Soccer '98- licensing issues
International Superstar Soccer 2000- licensing issues
International Superstar Soccer 64- licensing issues
International Track & Field 2000- licensing issues
Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon
Nagano Winter Olympics '98- licensing issues
NBA In the Zone '98- licensing issues
NBA In the Zone '99- licensing issues
NBA In the Zone 2000- licensing issues
NHL Blades of Steel '99-licensing
Rakugakids- Was never released in the US but was released in Europe. Could happen.
Star Soldier: Vanishing Earth- Hudson, so take as you will

Natsume

KoeiTecmo

Other things to note:

-Nintendo previously worked out a deal with Midway to put Crusin' USA on the Wii Virtual console. Midway has since collapsed, so who knows what's up with that license. I'm leaving it off the list for now.

-Quest 64 was published by THQ in the US but Konami in Europe. As THQ is now dead and its licenses scattered into the wind, I suppose it's possible that Konami (or another related party) could work towards getting the game on the VC. It's super unlikely though, especially given the game's sort of unfair reputation.

-On a related note, many of the N64's more prolific third parties (namely THQ, 3DO, Acclaim, Crave, Midway, and Titus) have since gone under. While the vast majority of those games were licensed and wouldn't happen anyway (sorry fellow WCWvsNWO/WM2000/No Mercy fans), it's not entirely impossible for some of the non-licensed games to happen in a scenario similar to Technos's library where somebody picks them up specifically to rerelease them. That said, I'm not including any of those games on the list, because it's a suuuuuuuuuuper longshot that will almost certainly not happen.

-I didn't include Conker's Bad Furday and Perfect Dark since Rare nominally self published those (albeit with support from Nintendo) and they'll certainly hit the same issues that Banjo Kazooie/Tooie and Killer Instinct Gold will hit.

-As noted, Majora's Mask is unlikely any time soon because it was just remade and released on the 3DS. Star Fox 64 and Ocarina of Time also have 3DS versions, but those are old enough to where they'll probably pop up sooner. As it stands, the DS port of Kirby Super Star did not prevent the SNES version from getting released on the VC a couple years later.

-Interplay will probably promise Clayfighter 63 1/4/Sculpter's Cut, but don't believe their lies

Going by that, my personal guess as for what's next is Yoshi Story, Mario Golf, and Mario Tennis.

I'm also guessing both Castlevania games will turn up next Halloween, while we get the DS ones this year.

jholmes

Capcom

unless voices are removed.

So this website (which I did not discover but found through this thread, credit where credit is due) posits the rights issues affecting Mega Man Legends are not voice rights related, but copyright related, and the two issues were taken out when the Mega Man 64 port was done. The page is definitely worth a look!

I seem to recall the game uses battery backup and not Memory Pak saves too which would make a Virtual Console release seem somewhat likely.

Nairume

Banned
So this website (which I did not discover but found through this thread, credit where credit is due) posits the rights issues affecting Mega Man Legends are not voice rights related, but copyright related, and the two issues were taken out when the Mega Man 64 port was done. The page is definitely worth a look!

I seem to recall the game uses battery backup and not Memory Pak saves too which would make a Virtual Console release seem somewhat likely.
Well then, I guess I can safely update that entry in the list and we can look forward to it next May :p

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Yeah, the voice rights were debunked when Tron Bonne was added to PSN, as Tiesel was voiced by Robert Smith, who was arrested in 2008 on the grounds of *ahem* illegal pictures involving children.

But yeah, if they were able to release that with nothing changed, then it wasn't voice acting & it seems it's that Japanese company that could be the main issue. But yes, it seems the N64 version removed them & while one could argue the port isn't up to par to the PS1 version, it would be possible for it to be released on the Wii U VC.

Heck, the N64 version is the one I played as a kid. Didn't even know of the PS1 version until years later.

Nairume

Banned
So, I hate myself and decided to finally do a DS version of that list because I got bored. It's much bigger

Much as with the N64 list, the follow games represent DS games published in North America by publishers supporting the WiiU virtual console (those being Nintendo, Capcom, Konami, KoeiTecmo, Namco, and Natsume). Again, the presence of a game on the list doesn't mean it will happen, due to various reasons, but it should give an idea on what games we can expect to possibly show up.

Games in bold should have nothing keeping them off the service
Games in italics have potential issues that could keep them off the service
Games in neither italics or bold have definitive issues that prevent them from showing up or have been outright deconfirmed

***Already on the service***

New Super Mario Bros
Mario Kart DS
WarioWare Touched
Yoshi's Island DS
Yoshi's Touch'n'Go

Nintendo
Animal Crossing: Wild World
Art Academy
Big Brain Academy
Brain Age- Released in Japan and Europe
Brain Age 2
Chibi Robo: Park Patrol
Children of Mana - Published by Nintendo but still features SquareEnix branding, so I'm going to say this won't happen
Clubhouse Games
Crosswords DS
Custom Robo Arena
Diddy Kong Racing DS- Rare/Microsoft owned characters were removed from this remake, so is likely safe to rerelease under the same conditions it happened in the first place
Donkey Kong Jungle Climber
Electroplankton
Elite Beat Agents- licensed music
Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon
Flash Focus
Fossil Fighters
Game & Watch Collection- Was a Club Nintendo reward that was never offically sold. Nothing is stopping them from selling it now, but unlikely.
Game & Watch Collection 2- see above
Glory of Hercules
Hotel Dusk
Kirby Canvas Curse
Kirby Mass Attack
Kirby Super Star Ultra
Kirby: Squeak Squad
Last Window
Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass
Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks
Legendary Starfy
Magical Starsign
Magnetica
Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story
Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time
Mario Hoops 3-on-3 - Has SquareEnix characters so isn't happening
Mario Party DS
Mario vs Donkey Kong 2: March of the Minis
Mario vs Donkey Kong: Mini-Land Mayhem
Master of Illusion
Metroid Prime Hunters
Metroid Prime Pinball
Mystery Case Files: MillionHeir
Nintendogs (numerous versions)
Personal Trainer: Cooking
Personal Trainer: Walking
Picross 3D
Picross DS
Planet Puzzle League
Pokemon Black/White- Mainline Pokemon games don't go on the VC
Pokemon Black/White 2- Mainline Pokemon games don't go on the VC
Pokemon Conquest
Pokemon Dash
Pokemon Diamond/Pearl/Platinum- Mainline Pokemon games don't go on the VC
Pokemon HeartGold/SoulSilver- Mainline Pokemon games don't go on the VC
Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Blue Rescue Team
Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Darkness/Time/Sky
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Ranger: Guardian Signs
Pokemon Ranger:Shadows of Almia
Pokemon Trozei!
Polarium
Rhythm Heaven
Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games- Licensing
Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Winter Games- Licensing
Star Fox Command
Super Mario 64 DS
Super Princess Peach
Tenchu: Dark Secrets- May have licensing issues?
Tetris DS- Won't happen while Ubisoft is publishing Tetris
Trace Memory
True Swing Golf
Wario: Master of Disguise
WarioWare D.I.Y.- Possible, but unlikely due to lack of internet functionality removing a big element of the game

Capcom
Mega Man Battle Network 5
Mega Man Star Force (three different versions)
Mega Man Star Force 2 (two different versions)
Mega Man Star Force 3 (two different versions)
Mega Man Zero Collection- While there's nothing stopping Capcom from putting it on there, they certainly won't due to them selling the game's separately
Mega Man ZX
Mega Man ZX Advent
Neopets Puzzle Adventure- licensing
Okamiden
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney: Justice For All
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney: Trials and Tribulations
Resident Evil: Deadly Silence
Sally's Salon- licensed
Tropix- licensed
Viewtiful Joe: Double Trouble

KoeiTecmo

Dynasty Warriors DS: Fighter's Battle
Monster Racers
Ninja Gaiden Dragon Sword
Pop Cutie: Street Fashion Simulation
Prey the Stars
TecmoBowl DS- No licensing issues due to original teams being made for the game

Konami
Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin
Contra 4
Death, Jr. and the Science Fair of Doom
Diary Girl
Dragon Booster- licensing
Elebits: The Adventures of Kai and Zero
Frogger: Helmet Chaos
GoPets Vacation Island- licensing
Konami Classics Series: Arcade Hits
Let's Pilates
Let's Yoga
Lost in Blue
Lost in Blue 2
Lost in Blue 3
Lunar Knights
Magician's Quest: Mysterious Times
Marvel Trading Card Game- Licensing
My Frogger Toy Trials
New International Track & Field- licensing
Pro Evolution Soccer 2008- licensing
Pro Evolution Soccer 6- licensing
Rock Revolution- licensed music
Steel Horizon
Suikoden Tierkreis
Tao's Adventure: Curse of the Demon Seal
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 3: Mutant Nightmare- Licensing
Time Ace
Time Hollow
Winx Club: Mission Echantrix- licensing
Winx Club: The Quest for the Codex- licensing
WireWay
Xiaolin Showdown- licensing
Yu-Gi-oh! 5D's Stardust Accelerator WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP 2009
Yu-Gi-oh! 5D's World Championship 2010
Yu-Gi-oh! 5D's World Championship 2011
Yu-Gi-oh! Duel Monsters: Nightmare Trubadour
Yu-Gi-oh! Duel Monsters: World Championship 2008
Yu-Gi-oh! Duel Monsters GX: Spirit Summoner

Namco
Digimon World: Dawn/Dusk
Inuyasha: Secret of the Divine Jewel- licensing
Mage Knight: Destiny's Soldier- Licensing issues
Mr. Driller Drill Spirits
Namco Museum DS
Pac-man World 3
Pac'n Roll
Pac Pix
Point Blank
Power Rangers Samurai- licensing
Puzzle Quest- D3 Published, so maybe?
Puzzle Quest Galactrix- D3 published, so maybe?
Real Time Conflict: Shogun Empires
Ridge Racer DS
QuickSpot

Natsume
Harvest Moon Frantic Farming
Harvest Moon: Grand Bazaar
Harvest Moon: Island of Happiness
Harvest Moon Sunshine Island
Hi Hamtaro! Little Hamsters Big Adventure- Licensing
Lufia: Curse of the Sinestrals
Princess Debut
Puzzle de Harvest Moon
River King: Mystic Valley
Rune Factory
Rune Factory 2
Rune Factory 3

Notes:
-This list includes numerous titles that are not games but, rather, educational/personal training software. These games certainly won't be put on the service, but there's nothing particularly stopping any of the publishers in question from putting them on there given similar software does exist on the eshop.

-Despite being owned by Namco and often publishing stuff for them, I've largely left D3 published games off the list, since they were almost all licensed games. The main exception I've made was Blue Dragon: Awakened Soul, since that was co-developed by Namco and published directly by them everywhere but in NA (rather than through D3 as Namco's proxy). I've also rolled Puzzle Quest, Puzzle Quest Galactrix, and Bangai-Oh Spirits into Namco because those are the only remaining D3 games that aren't licensed.

-Pure conjecture on my part, but I'm suspecting we *may* see Atlus support showing up for DS games. They've been happily supporting it in Japan but haven't done anything in the west, which makes sense given they don't really have much that they can release for the NES, SNES, 64, GB, and GBA in NA (at least not enough to make it worth bothering) like they do in Japan. Their North American DS library, on the other hand, is fairly sizable, so I imagine that might change things (especially with a major collaberation coming up). Obviously I am not adding them to the list until something does change, but I think the possibility should be kept in consideration when looking at the list and thinking about what 3rd party games we may get.

Let me know if I've missed anything. Wikipedia's list of DS games was a lot goofier than the N64 game list.

Nairume

Banned
I can see the Castlevania DS games hitting the Wii U VC after all those GBA games.
I'm fully anticipating them showing up this October. Maybe the N64 games too, but I can see them waiting on those until next year.

Could also see Lunar Knights showing up for the same reason.

Nairume

Banned
Yeah somehow I don't see 100 Classic Book Collection happening.
Yeah

Like I said in the notes, while I have stuff on there for completion's sake and because it's not impossible, there's a bunch of lifestyle programs that are almost certainly not happening.

Platy

Kirby Canvas Course (very probable), Ghost Trick (unlikely) and Maestro ! Jump In Music (borderline impossible) would be instant buy for me for DS virtual console.

Star Fox 64 too

Javier

So, I hate myself and decided to finally do a DS version of that list because I got bored. It's much bigger

Let me know if I've missed anything. Wikipedia's list of DS games was a lot goofier than the N64 game list.
Hotel Dusk: Room 215; Last Window: The Secret of Cape West and Trace Memory. They were all developed by the now defunct CING, but since Nintendo published all of them (and NoE published Last Window after CING died), Nintendo likely has full rights to the games now.

And I have some hope we might finally see Last Window in America. At least, the game is fully translated.

Re: Yoshi's Story
I bought it the day it came out, and I had every single path/level completed before the day was over.

Sure, there's trying for a higher score...
But, meh.

I bought Yoshi's Story at launch back in March 1998 when I was in high school. It was such a massive disappointment coming off being blown away by YI on SNES, my classmates and I all hated it. Ridiculously short with only about 24 levels, bland stages with pushover enemies and weak bosses that pose almost no threat to your ability to progress, it's like they went out of their way to make it the antithesis of what a solid, balanced Nintendo platformer should be.

The "extras" aren't even extras, it's just that awful, mind numbingly tedious sniffing for light green melons function which feels buggy and barely even works half the time and only gets you an appearance from the Black Yoshi in the end sequence, no special stages, nothing. The "melon quest" only further impresses upon the player how barren and low on content the rest of the game is. If you dig hard enough there is a quote from Tezuka where he admitted that Yoshi's Story was in some ways an experiment to specifically target pre-school level players. Bad move.

The only thing Yoshi's Story properly accomplished was that it made other 2D platformers on N64 like Mischief Makers and Kirby 64 look much better in comparison. I have my issues with YI DS and YNI, but in the end they're solid platformers and I'll take their respective occasional flaws over the overall dull abomination that is Yoshi's Story any day. I'm relieved Good Feel seems to be giving the series the polish and treatment it finally deserves with Woolly World.

So I've completely fallen in love with Off-TV play, it's so comfy (except for the gamepad's battery life!) and I need some awesome recommendations for eShop games to get! Preferably VC because I've got that itch to play old Nintendo games right now, but anything is fine. I only have Metroid Fusion, Super Metroid, Paper Mario, and Kirby's Dreamland 3.

JoeM86

Your lists are a bit better than mine. I approve

So I've completely fallen in love with Off-TV play, it's so comfy (except for the gamepad's battery life!) and I need some awesome recommendations for eShop games to get! Preferably VC because I've got that itch to play old Nintendo games right now, but anything is fine. I only have Metroid Fusion, Super Metroid, Paper Mario, and Kirby's Dreamland 3.

If you're on an Off-TV VC kick, SNES games look great on the Gamepad. My current top 5 SNES VC picks would Link to the Past, Earthbound, Contra III, SMW, and Axelay.

I love Kirby's Dreamland 3 btw. The pastel painting style visuals and soothing music make for a relaxing game.

Top Bottom