• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Downloads - September 2014

Ondore

1) Is there a way to delete games from the hard drive but keep the save files? There are a number of games that I could delete if necessary, but I definitely don't want to lose any save data.

Most games have separate save files from the game files. If you go into the Data Management and there's three files (saves, game data, updates) then you can delete the game file and keep the rest.

I think the only major game with combined save/game files is Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate, but I'm probably wrong.

So the reason I've done so much Fire Emblem lately is for one sole reason. To get my "Average Play Time" in the Activity Log up. I only found or about the soft reset a month ago and 2 weeks ago I decided I needed to fix it. So, I went on a single session (without closing the software) for as long as I could to try and balance out the amount of times I closed the game to reset it with my actual play time. I think I did an ~15 hour play session (over 2 weeks of course) and now all is well. In fact it went so well my Average Play Time has now surpassed Bravely Default (1:24 Hours / 26 Time Played) and now stands at the top (1:27 Hours / 38 Times Played)! Now I can get back to other games! Maybe even Professor Layton!

Well... My original 3DS broke and so I had to start on scratch on a new unit. Losing all my play times hurt, especially my 50 hours on OoT, so I left it running overnight for a few days so I could log it's time again on my new 3DS haha.

Tizoc

Yo where my EU Gunvolt release date at?

I know about the unfortunate situation's with DKA's code rights and I of course mentioned myself the red EU Wiis featuring the DK enhanced NES port, but I was hoping for a new port not based off the NES rom. It all seemed too good to be true -_-

Still gonna buy it tho

Mind elaborating on the rights for the game's code please?

@MUWANdo

Banned
Mind elaborating on the rights for the game's code please?

The arcade game was co-developed by a contracted company called Ikegami Tsushinki which later alleged Nintendo was illegally reusing their code in DK Jr. and other games. Nintendo settled out of court but they've never re-released the original arcade game since, which people speculate is due to the terms of the undisclosed settlement.

TheMoon

3) Can you play games off of external drives or will I have to constantly swap data back and forth? Will I be able to get it set up in such a way that it will just function like a seamless expansion of storage?

Of course. That was the whole point behind their decision to go with low flash memory instead of a big built-in hard disk drive. Letting you expand it according to your needs, if you want to download many digital titles.

Tizoc

The arcade game was co-developed by a contracted company called Ikegami Tsushinki which later alleged Nintendo was illegally reusing their code in DK Jr. and other games. Nintendo settled out of court but they've never re-released the original arcade game since, which people speculate is due to the terms of the undisclosed settlement.

Wow you'd think they'd be able to resolve this 20+ years later...whatever happened to Ikegami Tsushinki?

TheMoon

Wow you'd think they'd be able to resolve this 20+ years later...whatever happened to Ikegami Tsushinki?

You think that makes it easier? "Oh hey, that code we technically own you wanna use to rerelease a humongous gaming classic with a super iconic IP? Sure we'd let you do that ... please park your money trucks on this baseball field."

2) I would appreciate any tips on shopping for an external drive. Are there any specific factors that I should consider related to the Wii U? Any comments on drive speed as it related to different options?

3) Can you play games off of external drives or will I have to constantly swap data back and forth? Will I be able to get it set up in such a way that it will just function like a seamless expansion of storage?
There is a Wii external drive thread somewhere. Anyway to answer a couple:
2) Wii U formats an entire drive in an encrypted proprietary filesystem. As a result huge size is a complete waste (unless you fill it with Wii U games but looking at the size of games and how many are coming out I don't see myself going beyond 320GB). The drive is connected through USB2.0 so most drives will max this out no problem. A thing to bear in mind is USB powered drives might need a Y cable (which plugs into 2 USB ports) because the USB ports on the Wii U don't provide enough power for some reason. External power might be better for that reason but finding a small size is going to be difficult. But given a USB hard drive is just a hard drive in a housing and you can buy the housing separate it might be possible to salvage a small drive from an old PC.

3) The save location for everything will default to the external drive as well because the Wii U OS is utter shit (even the disc games with no data on the external). This also makes save backups really as the system insists on you copying the whole package of game+save+update at once.

JoeM86

No October thread so... This week, in Europe

Wii U
99Seconds €2.49/£2.29

Wii U Virtual Console
Street Fighter Alpha 2 €7.99/£5.49

3DS
Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS €44.99/£39.99

3DS Virtual Console
Street Fighter 2010: The Final Fight €4.99/£4.49

============
Price Reductions

Jett Rocket II: The Wrath of Taikai €5.99/£5.25 (Until October 23)
Tappingo €1.99/£1.69 (Until October 16)

Glass Rebel

No October thread so... This week, in Europe

Wii U
99Seconds €2.49/£2.29

Wii U Virtual Console

3DS
Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS €44.99/£39.99

3DS Virtual Console
Street Fighter 2010: The Final Fight €4.99/£4.49

============
Price Reductions

Jett Rocket II: The Wrath of Taikai €5.99/£5.25 (Until October 23)
Tappingo €1.99/£1.69 (Until October 16)

Disappointing week but I'll be busy playing Smash anyway.

daydream

Banned
Retail releases are taking centre stage.. kinda till the end of the year so I'm not expecting any miracles out of the eShop. That said, it had a fantastic year so that's fine by me, and who says there aren't any surprises left. We'll see.

L~A

Yo where my EU Gunvolt release date at?

It's coming out this Winter, which means any day between December and April :p

A bit light on new releases this week... nothing for me, except Super Smash Bros. of course. And maybe Fantasy Life, not quite sure.

Robin64

Wii U Virtual Console

HOLY SHIT. Best fighting game ever made, no lie. I know there are people who don't like the SNES version, but it's just my favourite. DAY ONE.

GRW810

How much was/is 99bullets on DSi? Was really hoping for a Wii U release it works be bundled in a package with 99moves and 99seconds.

Robin64

If only they allowed us to pay directly in euros, I'd be tempted... but with pounds, have to pay the fees from the bank, which... well... eats away the 5€ discount compared to the eShop. So yeah, not gonna bother :p

Hmm, that sucks.

Though they do accept PayPal. Would you get a better deal going via that?

SerTapTap

Should I know what I'm doing/plan boss order/challenges before playing Gunvolt or just jump in? I'm stuck between not wanting to spoil the experience and anxiety of screwing it up so I'm currently just not playing it, and that's no good.

Did beat Mighty Gunvolt, cute little game. Fun but easy, great little bonus.

Tom_Cody

Can only answer 3, it just automatically downloads anything to your hard drive and plays from there

Most games have separate save files from the game files. If you go into the Data Management and there's three files (saves, game data, updates) then you can delete the game file and keep the rest.

I think the only major game with combined save/game files is Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate, but I'm probably wrong.

Of course. That was the whole point behind their decision to go with low flash memory instead of a big built-in hard disk drive. Letting you expand it according to your needs, if you want to download many digital titles.

There is a Wii external drive thread somewhere. Anyway to answer a couple:
2) Wii U formats an entire drive in an encrypted proprietary filesystem. As a result huge size is a complete waste (unless you fill it with Wii U games but looking at the size of games and how many are coming out I don't see myself going beyond 320GB). The drive is connected through USB2.0 so most drives will max this out no problem. A thing to bear in mind is USB powered drives might need a Y cable (which plugs into 2 USB ports) because the USB ports on the Wii U don't provide enough power for some reason. External power might be better for that reason but finding a small size is going to be difficult. But given a USB hard drive is just a hard drive in a housing and you can buy the housing separate it might be possible to salvage a small drive from an old PC.

3) The save location for everything will default to the external drive as well because the Wii U OS is utter shit (even the disc games with no data on the external). This also makes save backups really as the system insists on you copying the whole package of game+save+update at once.
Thanks guys.

I was able to delete enough game files over the weekend to be able to download DKC:TF. Now I just need to get an external harddrive before I can pick up Hyrule Warriors.

Wait the NEW 3DS is releasing in Austrailia this year is is Wikipedia not correct

Edit: Yes it is and in New Zealand too.... I guess people with PAL accounts could import it but us folks in NA ;_;

n64coder

A thing to bear in mind is USB powered drives might need a Y cable (which plugs into 2 USB ports) because the USB ports on the Wii U don't provide enough power for some reason.

I think that has to do whether a drive is USB 2.0 or 3.0. It seems that USB 3.0 drives require more power. If you use a USB 2.0 (not USB 3.0 that is also compatible with USB 2.0), you shouldn't need a Y cable.

rekameohs

Banned
I think that has to do whether a drive is USB 2.0 or 3.0. It seems that USB 3.0 drives require more power. If you use a USB 2.0 (not USB 3.0 that is also compatible with USB 2.0), you shouldn't need a Y cable.
No, it's the Wii U's port's fault. The original Wii used USB 2.0 and it could power drives just fine with one connection.

Should I know what I'm doing/plan boss order/challenges before playing Gunvolt or just jump in? I'm stuck between not wanting to spoil the experience and anxiety of screwing it up so I'm currently just not playing it, and that's no good.

Did beat Mighty Gunvolt, cute little game. Fun but easy, great little bonus.
Don't worry about any of that. There's no set bos order like in Mega Man, you can beat stages in any order you want (except when the game doesn't let you choose) and you have to select a Challenge before you try to complete it so you can give those a try as you unlock them and attempt to improve your scores in a stage. So there's no need to have any anxiety over any of this. Just play and enjoy, it's a great game and a lot of fun.

Mighty Gunvolt was a really good bonus, yeah. I had a great time with it.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
This is speculation, but I think Nintendo/Platinum may let you actually buy just Bayonetta 1 on the Wii U.

"Get an automatic discount on the original Batonetta game with your purchase of Bayonetta 2. You get two great games for the price of one!"

zroid

Banned
This is speculation, but I think Nintendo/Platinum may let you actually buy just Bayonetta 1 on the Wii U.

"Get an automatic discount on the original Batonetta game with your purchase of Bayonetta 2. You get two great games for the price of one!"

Is that speculation? I thought it was actually the case.

Tenki

I started playing Art of Balance Wii U last night. I started at 3am and stopped at 4am lol It's simple, but addictive.

n64coder

No, it's the Wii U's port's fault. The original Wii used USB 2.0 and it could power drives just fine with one connection.

I'm referring to the hard drive itself. If the hard drive supports USB 3.0, it will need the y-cable whether you're using the Wii or the Wii U. I have 5 portable drives (2 USB 2.0, 3 USB 3.0) and tested them all with the Wii & Wii U. Pretty much all portable drives in the past 2 years are USB 2/3 versus USB 2 only.

jmizzal

Just wanna be sure on this, if I move a game to the external Hard drive and leave the save file on the WiiU will it still work right? or do both need to be on the same drive.

I'm referring to the hard drive itself. If the hard drive supports USB 3.0, it will need the y-cable whether you're using the Wii or the Wii U. I have 5 portable drives (2 USB 2.0, 3 USB 3.0) and tested them all with the Wii & Wii U. Pretty much all portable drives in the past 2 years are USB 2/3 versus USB 2 only.
Also, this happens with a ton of other devices, it's a relatively common thing even with PCs and not exclusive to the Wii U, so it's not "the Wii U's port's fault." I mean, Nintendo didn't invent Y USB Cables, you know, they existed before and had a use.

RiggyRob

Hearing rumours of a Theme Store coming to the JP eShop at some point to buy the various themes for the New 3DS - any truth to this?

Top Bottom