• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Downloads - September 2014

jmizzal

Use an actual HDD. Those are unstable.

I'm gonna download the game to the system, and dump the other stuff I dont use much on the usb so I dont have to delete them, I barely have anything downloaded and I only have 2 gigs, I have more VC games then anything and they are tiny.

I'm not buying a HD in the next week before the sale ends

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
I wanna buy DKC TF, but its 11 gigs,

my 32 gig SD card wont format :(, I have a USB SD card holder for it

I might try my 8 gig usb for the time being

Anybody know any good solutions to format a SD card
If my memory still serves me, there's a Panasonic utility for low-level/optimised formatting of SD cards. It's windows-only and I can't recall its name, but it's out there.

rekameohs

Banned
I'm not buying a HD in the next week before the sale ends

I'm not familiar with how the eShop does downloads when the memory is full, but if it's like any other digital store, you can purchase the game and not download it, then when you get the hard drive, you can run the download. So you can buy the game during the sale and then play it once you buy the hard drive.

Playing on an SD card is not a wise decision because they will probably get worn through very quickly since digital games need a lot of read-write access. Plus, HDD's are extremely cheap nowadays.

chronomac

I made this post in the buy/trade thread and didn't get any replies so I thought I would try here with some added detail.

I have a deluxe Wii U and I'm just 17 points away from earning a $5 reward through the Digital Deluxe promotion. In my Club Nintendo account I have 210 coins, which is enough for a few different games. I thought about redeeming one of them since that would, in effect, push me past the total needed for that $5 eShop reward. That would let me get one of the two Kirby games on sale. The problem is that I don't want any of the Club Nintendo games available and I already have Kirby Super Star. Does anyone here want any of the current Club Nintendo rewards? I would trade for almost any NES or SNES game, since they'll earn me enough credit for the coupon.

Sorry for that lengthy explanation, but if anyone could help that'd be nice.

zroid

Banned
I'm liking Armillo. It totally scratches that N64 mascot platformer itch. Pretty sure the devs must be big Sonic fans.

TheMoon

I'm not familiar with how the eShop does downloads when the memory is full, but if it's like any other digital store, you can purchase the game and not download it, then when you get the hard drive, you can run the download. So you can buy the game during the sale and then play it once you buy the hard drive.

Playing on an SD card is not a wise decision because they will probably get worn through very quickly since digital games need a lot of read-write access. Plus, HDD's are extremely cheap nowadays.

Sadly it doesn't work like that for some dumb reason on the eShop. I had to free up space to be able to buy Giana Sisters a few months ago. It wouldn't let me buy since I had insufficient space.

sörine

Banned
This is really interesting but I don't think you're allowed to divulge that or at least you are the first person I know that did it.
Nintendo's said before that their eShop margin is 30%. Everyone's is, it's not really a secret.

The sale rates might be new but I'm guessing that's probably also industry standard.

rekameohs

Banned
Sadly it doesn't work like that for some dumb reason on the eShop. I had to free up space to be able to buy Giana Sisters a few months ago. It wouldn't let me buy since I had insufficient space.
Wow, that definitely sounds dumb. I have an external drive, so it's no issue for me, but they really should allow for purchasing but not downloading.

jmizzal

If my memory still serves me, there's a Panasonic utility for low-level/optimised formatting of SD cards. It's windows-only and I can't recall its name, but it's out there.

Everything I tried didnt work, i'm just gonna have get hd before next Thursday, I really wanna get DKCTF at that price

plus there are some upcoming eshop games I'm gonna get mostly 2015, and DLC for Hyrule Warriors, Mario Kart and Smash bros

I see a 120 gb on Amazon for $26, that should be enough

v1perz53

I'm in the PSN thread more often than this one (don't shoot me, I love my Wii U as much as I love my Vita! I have a thing for under appreciated systems I guess...), so I am not sure if this is the right place to ask, but here goes. I've had Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate for Wii U for a while now, never got around to playing it. Lately had a bit of interest to try it out, but I have one major question. Everywhere I see talks about it as a multiplayer game at heart. I currently dorm at medical school, and the internet here totally blocks game systems, so I would have to play totally solo and offline. Is the game still worth playing/playable at all/fun? I have never played a monster hunter game before, but I have played other similar type games on Vita, so I know I like the general concept of hunting games. Just don't know if this one is worth it without being online.

Ashodin

Heads up guys, be sure to look out for my psyscrolr trailer tomorrow! I'll be sending out PR and stuff, but if you miss it, I'll post it here as well.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
I'm in the PSN thread more often than this one (don't shoot me, I love my Wii U as much as I love my Vita! I have a thing for under appreciated systems I guess...), so I am not sure if this is the right place to ask, but here goes. I've had Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate for Wii U for a while now, never got around to playing it. Lately had a bit of interest to try it out, but I have one major question. Everywhere I see talks about it as a multiplayer game at heart. I currently dorm at medical school, and the internet here totally blocks game systems, so I would have to play totally solo and offline. Is the game still worth playing/playable at all/fun? I have never played a monster hunter game before, but I have played other similar type games on Vita, so I know I like the general concept of hunting games. Just don't know if this one is worth it without being online.

The game does have an extensive offline / single player campaign at the village. The Ultimate version extends it with many new missions past the original ending. And at a certain point, allows you to get more helper characters to give some of the effect of going out with a party.

While the full experience of hunting with other characters like yours is found in multiplayer, I don't think the single player is bad at all, personally.

The game does have an extensive offline / single player campaign at the village. The Ultimate version extends it with many new missions past the original ending. And at a certain point, allows you to get more helper characters to give some of the effect of going out with a party.

While the full experience of hunting with other characters like yours is found in multiplayer, I don't think the single player is bad at all, personally.

this
you can sink dozens of hours into single player. the missions get very challenging later on.

v1perz53

Ahh excellent, thanks. I have the game already so I will definitely give it a shot knowing there is a good bit of content that can be enjoyed solo. And maybe in April when I move out of this oppressive dorm and have real internet I will be invested enough to try some online play.

this
you can sink dozens of hours into single player. the missions get very challenging later on.
Dozens? I live in the third world with third world internet access so I've never been able to play online yet I've put well over 200 hours into Monster Hunter 3 on Wii and so has my brother (on his own file). And that's without all the additional content from Ultimate that Kai Dracon mentioned.

Dozens? I live in the third world with third world internet access so I've never been able to play online yet I've put well over 200 hours into Monster Hunter 3 on Wii and so has my brother (on his own file). And that's without all the additional content from Ultimate that Kai Dracon mentioned.

yeah, well....20 dozens of hours are 240hours too
:p

so is Europe getting the 3DS Retail Download 1st party sales?
You mean the Smash Bros character sales? No. We already got a version of them a month ago. Yeah NOE missed half the bloody characters out though (including Link, Samus, Fox and Olimar).

Man i wish NoE would have games like 3D World or Tropical Freeze on sale :-/
After seeing New Super Bros 2 + U "sales" they did do I dread to think what kind of % they would attach to those games.

Weng

I downloaded Art of Balance and played the first world in a breeze. It's addictive and fun. And looking really gorgeous on Wii U, really nice effects with the light and transparency.
Can you use the Wii Remote to play it in single player as well?

also

Banned
Ahh excellent, thanks. I have the game already so I will definitely give it a shot knowing there is a good bit of content that can be enjoyed solo. And maybe in April when I move out of this oppressive dorm and have real internet I will be invested enough to try some online play.

You can solo every mission. Sure, playing the multiplayer missions alone will be harder, but you will get used to it. The only quests that I couldn't clear alone, were some of those with powered up DLC monsters and even those can be soloed if you are good enough.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
Btw to those worrying about games like the Letter getting too popular or something, the ratings of titles in the indie section seems to quell my fears at least.

The Letter is the ONLY 1.5-2 star game on that list with not many ratings. Shovel Knight, Nano Assault, and Trine 2 are ranked 4-5 stars with 1000s of ratings (over 4K for Shovel Knight). Zacisa has even 71 ratings for example =). The good games are getting reviewed a lot more and that should indicate a better sign for sales. Armillo only had a couple hundred reviews though (heard they weren't too happy with sales), so I went and bought the game (why not for $5). On the other hand, developers who had to leave the eShop (the guys who made Chubbins and Soon Shine) had in the range of like 15-35 ratings. Just my observations...

GulAtiCa

The Letter is already popular though, just in sales/downloads. :p

I have a local following of people on Miiverse, small, that really enjoy and are dedicated to my game. haha. Makes me happy and makes all of it well worth it.

Ashodin

Btw to those worrying about games like the Letter getting too popular or something, the ratings of titles in the indie section seems to quell my fears at least.

The Letter is the ONLY 1.5-2 star game on that list with not many ratings. Shovel Knight, Nano Assault, and Trine 2 are ranked 4-5 stars with 1000s of ratings (over 4K for Shovel Knight). Zacisa has even 71 ratings for example =). The good games are getting reviewed a lot more and that should indicate a better sign for sales. Armillo only had a couple hundred reviews though (heard they weren't too happy with sales), so I went and bought the game (why not for $5). On the other hand, developers who had to leave the eShop (the guys who made Chubbins and Soon Shine) had in the range of like 15-35 ratings. Just my observations...

It's all about the marketing, really. You have to get your name out there and make inroads with journalists.

zroid

Banned

Don't you have to play a game for like 45 minutes or so to rate it though? Who would play the Letter for more than like 10 minutes...

Can't stand 2D Marios anymore, tried to play NSMBU but raged endlessly. SM3DW, on the other hand, is one awesome game that I should've bought sooner. 3D Marios > 2D ones, yeah I said it.

EDIT: Also, I forgot to mention, SM3DW sold me on Captain Toad Treasure Tracker, I just hope that the game isn't short, but I loved the mini games. It would be a perfect / endless game if it had a stage creator, but I'll wait for Mario Maker for that.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
OH. MY. GOD.

DONKEY KONG ARCADE?!

Say WHAT?! 3DS' VC gets a proper arcade release and it does so with probably the best arcade game of all time (with Ms. PAC-Man and Bubble Bobble of course) which has NEVER been ported before in its entirety besides a special one-off for EU's Red Wii -Mario Anniversary Edition!

So fucking happy, so fucking mine!!

It states *arcade* on eShop, so it's not "just" the NES game + factory level reintroduced, right?

TheMoon

OH. MY. GOD.

DONKEY KONG ARCADE?!

Say WHAT?! 3DS' VC gets a proper arcade release and it does so with probably the best arcade game of all time (with Ms. PAC-Man and Bubble Bobble of course) which has NEVER been ported before in its entirety besides a special one-off for EU's Red Wii -Mario Anniversary Edition!

It states *arcade* on eShop, so it's not "just" the NES game + factory level reintroduced, right?

It's the NES version with the added factory level. The same one they've been giving out for years in their limited edition Wiis and 3DSes in JP and EU and for some preorders in the US. This is not the Arcade version because Nintendo doesn't own the rights to the Arcade version's code.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
If does they are misleading as PR made it sound like it is the same hacked NES ROM as was on those on those red Wiis. It does work in 60Hz though.

Plus I'd think if they sorted the issues with Ikegami Tsushinki it would be notable news

mL2iXkj.jpg

Spot the difference:

dGPPnvC.jpg

It's the NES version with the added factory level. The same one they've been giving out for years in their limited edition Wiis and 3DSes in JP and EU and for some preorders in the US. This is not the Arcade version because Nintendo doesn't own the rights to the Arcade version's code.

I know about the unfortunate situation's with DKA's code rights and I of course mentioned myself the red EU Wiis featuring the DK enhanced NES port, but I was hoping for a new port not based off the NES rom. It all seemed too good to be true -_-

Still gonna buy it tho

SerTapTap

So Dracula X will be the first PCE/TG-16 in the U.S. eShop, about time we started getting TG-16 games on Wii U.

Good, good. I have a bunch of PC Engine shmups trapped in Wii Mode. As much as I hate the practice I'd pay $1.50 to play some of them without a dang wiimote tethered to my lap.

rjc571

Banned
Good, good. I have a bunch of PC Engine shmups trapped in Wii Mode. As much as I hate the practice I'd pay $1.50 to play some of them without a dang wiimote tethered to my lap.

Dracula X isn't a PC Engine game, it's a SNES game. I don't think TG16 is ever going to be added to the Wii U VC outside of Japan.

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
So the reason I've done so much Fire Emblem lately is for one sole reason. To get my "Average Play Time" in the Activity Log up. I only found or about the soft reset a month ago and 2 weeks ago I decided I needed to fix it. So, I went on a single session (without closing the software) for as long as I could to try and balance out the amount of times I closed the game to reset it with my actual play time. I think I did an ~15 hour play session (over 2 weeks of course) and now all is well. In fact it went so well my Average Play Time has now surpassed Bravely Default (1:24 Hours / 26 Time Played) and now stands at the top (1:27 Hours / 38 Times Played)! Now I can get back to other games! Maybe even Professor Layton!

So like I learned something about Crimson Shroud these days:
http://level5ia.com/support-3ds/?lang=uk said:
Q: Q: I didn't like the ending.

A: The game has multiple endings. Try playing the game again using your clear data. Once you meet specific conditions, a different ending becomes available.
Looks like another play-through of Crimson Shroud may happen in the future...

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
So the reason I've done so much Fire Emblem lately is for one sole reason. To get my "Average Play Time" in the Activity Log up. I only found or about the soft reset a month ago and 2 weeks ago I decided I needed to fix it. So, I went on a single session (without closing the software) for as long as I could to try and balance out the amount of times I closed the game to reset it with my actual play time. I think I did an ~15 hour play session (over 2 weeks of course) and now all is well. In fact it went so well my Average Play Time has now surpassed Bravely Default (1:24 Hours / 26 Time Played) and now stands at the top (1:27 Hours / 38 Times Played)! Now I can get back to other games! Maybe even Professor Layton!

definitely

Ninja Dom

OH. MY. GOD.

DONKEY KONG ARCADE?!

Came in here with the exact amount of shock and questions.

Later I got the exact amount of disappointment. Even more so cos I never knew that an enhanced NES port existed. Was watching the video and saw the title screen and HUD layout and thought, "that's not the arcade version, that's the NES version."

But 60Hz and £4.49 means will purchase.

Tom_Cody

I went to download DKC:TF and I discovered that I'm not even close to having enough space on my hard drive. This is the first time I've run out of space on a videogame console. A few questions:

1) Is there a way to delete games from the hard drive but keep the save files? There are a number of games that I could delete if necessary, but I definitely don't want to lose any save data.

2) I would appreciate any tips on shopping for an external drive. Are there any specific factors that I should consider related to the Wii U? Any comments on drive speed as it related to different options?

3) Can you play games off of external drives or will I have to constantly swap data back and forth? Will I be able to get it set up in such a way that it will just function like a seamless expansion of storage?

I went to download DKC:TF and I discovered that I'm not even close to having enough space on my hard drive. This is the first time I've run out of space on a videogame console. A few questions:

1) Is there a way to delete games from the hard drive but keep the save files? There are a number of games that I could delete if necessary, but I definitely don't want to lose any save data.

2) I would appreciate any tips on shopping for an external drive. Are there any specific factors that I should consider related to the Wii U? Any comments on drive speed as it related to different options?

3) Can you play games off of external drives or will I have to constantly swap data back and forth? Will I be able to get it set up in such a way that it will just function like a seamless expansion of storage?

Can only answer 3, it just automatically downloads anything to your hard drive and plays from there

I did something similar, by not closing my games when I stopped playing. Now I have Shin Megami Tensei 4 with 10:52 hours average playtime and Pokemon Y on top with 12:05 hours average.

My third most played game is... the eShop.

Top Bottom