• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Downloads - September 2014

Chopper

I would point out that VC games are the top of the sales charts, so maybe they are capitalizing.

I'm not saying I agree (at this point I want Nintendo to buy M2), but I dont know how well the games that dont make the charts sell.
They're profiting, but I wouldn't say they were capitalizing.

sörine

Banned
The problem with VC is Nintendo's ideology. They view it more as filler to support new releases and something to fill the cracks around that rather than as a viable attractive ecosytem unto itself. They also believe a curated drip feed model leads to more sales for games and so VC is seen as the first thing to cut back on when the schedule gets full.

Also you can thank Dan Adelman for a lot of that. He's a big proponent of the drip feed model and still stands by it. He also claims Nintendo have sales data to back it up. It's no coincidence Virtual Console was handicapped right when Wiiware launched, thanks Dan.

flowsnake

Professor Layton and the Magic Mirror. The cutscene to puzzle ratio is absolutely grave. I know there's those hundreds of Daily Puzzles to download but the cutscenes were such a turnoff I haven't gone back to it.

Do you mean Miracle Mask? My only other thought is that it's an alternative name in a European language or something.

Chopper

Just imagine if the Virtual Console was in such shape to be promoted as an actual selling pont for the Wii U. A huge catalogue of optimised, classic Nintendo games, available on demand. That's all I want.

Currently it's a medium sized catalogue of decently emulated select Nintendo classics. So weird.

Honestly, I just still can't wrap my head around why the Wii U is so lacking in VC.

After all the different games/consoles that were available on the Wii, how are we worse off?

Konami locked up TG16 that badly? Sega lost ALL interest in digital? Or is it just Nintendo don't care as much this gen for some reason to chase everyone round?

They can't even sort their own shit, remember when we dreamed of GameCube stuff?? LOL.... still can't even get N64 games out. :| :| The Wii U is more powerful than the Wii why is this an issue????

hlnTi6o.gif

sörine;131523521 said:
The problem with VC is Nintendo's ideology. They view it more as filler to support new releases and something to fill the cracks around that rather than as a viable attractive ecosytem unto itself. They also believe a curated drip feed model leads to more sales for games and so VC is seen as the first thing to cut back on when the schedule gets full.

Also you can thank Dan Adelman for a lot of that. He's a big proponent of the drip feed model and still stands by it. He also claims Nintendo have sales data to back it up. It's no coincidence Virtual Console was handicapped right when Wiiware launched, thanks Dan.

Didn't know that, link/quote?

maxcriden

Professor Layton and the Magic Mirror. The cutscene to puzzle ratio is absolutely grave. I know there's those hundreds of Daily Puzzles to download but the cutscenes were such a turnoff I haven't gone back to it.

http://youtu.be/NO4F5ZuzM1o?list=PLz5gUls4mkX8Z_HPYY9xFHth0f-7qIrWn
The ALBW Kakariko Village is one of the most perfect BGM songs of all time. Bold but understated. Musically complex but instrumentally simple. Varied but familiar. It's perfect. Now I'm in the second half of the game and I can't listen to it whenever I want within 5 seconds of the urge and that utterly kills it for me. I'll get back to it, eventually. It's not that I hate the Dark World music it's just that it's nowhere near as good as the OG World.

I'm stuck in Zora's Domain in OoT. I'd ask for help but I'm on a very strict "No tips or walkthroughs or hints allowed" challenge for the first 3-D Zelda game I intend to fully complete (and perhaps every Zelda after it when they decide to finally port Majora's Mask to 3DS). So I will continue to pop it in every couple of weeks, wander around for >1 hour, then retreat when I find nothing.

I'm assuming you've played all the previous Laytons. I've only played the first three but I found I was getting burned out so I'm holding off on playing any more of the games just yet. I would definitely recommend you check out earlier entries if you haven't because they're not too bad in terms of cutscenes and have plenty of puzzles, although probably not as many as the most recent entries.

Sorry to hear about the Dark World BGM woes. I really dug it but I definitely am a fan of Kakariko Village as well so I understand you missing it. I dunno. I really liked the music in the game. The Yuga theme is one of the highlights for me.

Glad you're sticking with honing your own instincts in OoT. I find that's the most enjoyable way to play them, having used guides at times in the past to varying degrees. Now I only use them when I'm *reeeally* stuck or trying to find a Piece of Heart or something.

sörine;131552273 said:
It was in the NWR podcast with him several weeks ago. I almost shat myself with rage when Dan casually let those nuggets drop.

Yeah, that's nuts, I'm feeling a bit enraged over that right now myself. Sooooo, Dan Adelman was great for indies yet was horrible for the VC.

Honestly, I just still can't wrap my head around why the Wii U is so lacking in VC.

After all the different games/consoles that were available on the Wii, how are we worse off?

Konami locked up TG16 that badly? Sega lost ALL interest in digital? Or is it just Nintendo don't care as much this gen for some reason to chase everyone round?

They can't even sort their own shit, remember when we dreamed of GameCube stuff?? LOL.... still can't even get N64 games out. :| :| The Wii U is more powerful than the Wii why is this an issue????

hlnTi6o.gif

I've seen this kind of post before, and I agree with you 100%, but the gif at the end makes it perfect.

Guys, what if the people at Nintendo are actually geniuses, and we're just the ones who can't grasp their sheer brilliance?

I know it's not true, but the idea makes me feel better. Somehow.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Don't forget, these games:

Animal Crossing™: New Leaf (3DS)
Pikmin™ 3 (Wii U)
Donkey Kong Country™: Tropical Freeze (Wii U)
PAC-MAN™ and the Ghostly Adventures (3DS/Wii U)

and more will be on sale tomorrow. Hopefully the selection is more like weeks 1 and 2 instead of week 3 :/

Pikmin™ 3 (Wii U)

and more will be on sale tomorrow. Hopefully the selection is more like weeks 1 and 2 instead of week 3 :/

Except the Mega Man part of the sale. That was terrible too.

Anyways, I'm interested in what they'll have for Kirby. Sadly we already know what the Fox and DK parts will be...

Pikmin™ 3 (Wii U)

Damn, I might have to finally bite on New Leaf and Tropical Freeze. Would be an easier decision if it was 50%

GulAtiCa

Well, so much for that. Nintendo confirmed with me that I can't change the name. Since Europe stuff not submitted yet, might be able to redo name for that region though

Niraj

Except the Mega Man part of the sale. That was terrible too.

Anyways, I'm interested in what they'll have for Kirby. Sadly we already know what the Fox and DK parts will be...

Well, overall though. They had three of the best 3DS games on sale in the same week which isn't bad, though I'm sure many of us had most/all of those.

Damn, I might have to finally bite on New Leaf and Tropical Freeze. Would be an easier decision if it was 50%

I'm guessing Tropical Freeze will be $39.99, and New Leaf will probably be $19.99 based on the listings on the eShop site.

flowsnake

I just picked up Armillo since it was discounted.

It seems fairly fun from what I played, but I also feel nauseous/motion sickness now...I'm not sure if I'm just having a bad day or if it's the combination of fast-paced gameplay with not-particulary-high framerate that's doing it. I'll have to try again later.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
NINTENDO DOWNLOAD HIGHLIGHTS NEW DIGITAL CONTENT FOR NINTENDO SYSTEMS - SEPT. 25, 2014

Sept. 25, 2014

This week’s Nintendo Download includes the following featured content:

Nintendo eShop on Wii U
Hyrule Warriors – It’s time to fight. Cut down entire legions of enemies as Link, Zelda and other characters from The Legend of Zelda series using over-the-top, powerful Dynasty Warriors-style moves. This legendary adventure through the beloved locales of Hyrule will have you battling the fiercest enemies in The Legend of Zelda history. Collect materials and rupees to enhance your characters, upgrade weapons and dominate. Hyrule Warriors will be available on Sept. 26. Click here to watch a trailer for the game.

Nintendo eShop on Nintendo 3DS
Yu-Gi-Oh! ZEXAL World Duel Carnival – The first Yu-Gi-Oh! video game for Nintendo 3DS brings characters and stories from the popular Yu-Gi-Oh! ZEXAL animated series to life. Play as one of 12 characters, each with his or her own storyline, and battle with 40 Duelists from the TV show to compete in the World Duel Carnival. Enjoy multiple game modes, a tutorial and customization options as you play with more than 5,700 cards from the Yu-Gi-Oh! trading card game. Click here to watch a trailer for the game.
Nintendo eShop Sales

It’s your last chance to save up to 40 percent on select games starring fighters from the upcoming Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS. This week includes games featuring Kirby, Donkey Kong and other classic characters. Check out the games at http://www.nintendo.com/eshop/offers.
Spin the Bottle: Bumpie’s Party is 30 percent off (reduced from $11.99 to $8.39) until 8:59 a.m. PT on Oct. 12 in the Nintendo eShop on Wii U.
Armillo is 37 percent off (reduced from $7.99 to $4.99) until 8:59 a.m. PT on Oct. 6 in the Nintendo eShop on Wii U.
Swords & Soldiers is 33 percent off (reduced from $2.99 to $1.99) until 8:59 a.m. PT on Oct. 9 in the Nintendo eShop on Wii U.
Glory of Generals is 30 percent off (reduced from $9.99 to $6.99) until 8:59 am PT on Oct. 9 in the Nintendo eShop on Nintendo 3DS.
Coming soon:

Castlevania: Dracula X – Oct. 2 (Virtual Console on Wii U)
Castlevania: Circle of the Moon – Oct. 9 (Virtual Console on Wii U)
Also new this week:

Mario Golf: Advance Tour (Virtual Console on Wii U)
Angry Bunnies: Colossal Carrot Crusade (Nintendo eShop on Wii U)
Darts Up (Nintendo eShop on Wii U)
Spin the Bottle: Bumpie’s Party – Demo Version (Nintendo eShop on Wii U)

Javier

Well, not too much this week, but a few weeks ago I was hoping the GBA Castlevanias would be released soon since I always wanted to try them out.

I'll definitely be getting Circle of the Moon two weeks from now. Thanks for that, Konami.

Sify64

Well, so much for that. Nintendo confirmed with me that I can't change the name. Since Europe stuff not submitted yet, might be able to redo name for that region though
Well, if this name change happened to come along with a supposed expansion to the game... ala Toki Tori 2+, I could maybe see Nintendo allowing it under that condition. Or maybe not.

Implyingairquotes.png

lucius

Why are many of the virtual console games sound so low on Gamepad?

The regular WiiU games are fairly loud when playing on it off tv on the gamepad so it seems werid.

Niraj

Mario Golf Advance Tour is really good. I remember grabbing the cartridge for $5 new back when Circuit City was closing its stores. Such a steal.

sörine

Banned
Looks like October's gonna be the month of Castlevania?
I wonder if they'll bunch up all the GBA games this month then? AOS was rated for PAL a long time ago so it's almost certainly in the dreaded VC Queue already.

They also have the 2nd and 3rd GB games they could release on 3DS still.

Yeah, that's nuts, I'm feeling a bit enraged over that right now myself. Sooooo, Dan Adelman was great for indies yet was horrible for the VC.
Pretty much. Given how WiiWare went in retrospect it'd have probably been better for all involved (developers, Nintendo, us) had that initiative been killed and Nintendo/3rd parties simply kept releasing 4-5 VC games weekly for the rest of Wii's lifecycle.

SerTapTap

Do we still have no release date (especially for wii u) for Shantae and the pirate's curse? Was hoping to burn off most of the rest of my eShop balance with that before the digital deluxe thinger ends.

I dont know, i think the "shovelware eshop" is exactly what nintendo was trying to avoid all this time...

They charge 8$ for a snes game and i always think its too expensive. With those 1$ games up and down, the VC will be even harder to sell

I think the main problem with VC pricing is everything's the same price--LTTP is easily worth that $8, Life Force is worth that $5, but then seeing NES Golf and other rather poorly aged titles at the same price is a bit off-putting. If they did more regular sales it might be a lot more tempting to build a collection too.

Also, I love indie titles, but most indie titles that are better than okay-to-good SNES games are priced more like $15-$20, most stuff $5 and under on the eShop is pretty sad looking, I wouldn't really be too concerned with $1 games outshining Super Metroid and such. VC's main problem is pricing and much, much moreso, variety, not the other titles available on eshop.

The clear lack of "forward compatibility" of VC is also a negative selling point. With the $1 upgrade fee Nintendo made it clear that the things I buy on Wii U are not going to be supported on a future platform, I feel a lot less desire to invest in the VC now. I only brought over the Kirby games and Super Metroid because they're my favorite. It's just $1-$1.50, but it adds up since I have dozens of VC titles.

@MUWANdo

Banned
Do we still have no release date (especially for wii u) for Shantae and the pirate's curse? Was hoping to burn off most of the rest of my eShop balance with that before the digital deluxe thinger ends.

They've narrowed it down to "October" but that's probably only for NA.

Javier

How are the Yu-Gi-Oh games? I've been dying to play a good TCG on the 3DS, and with ZEXAL being the only option I'm actually considering downloading it. I don't particularly care for the actual TCG or the animated series, but can someone vouch for these titles?

Katsuragi

Castlevania: Dracula X – Oct. 2 (Virtual Console on Wii U)
Castlevania: Circle of the Moon – Oct. 9 (Virtual Console on Wii U)

Yay! As a fan of Rondo of Blood, I'm curious to play Dracula X. I don't expect it to be anywhere near as good as the PC Engine version, though. I'm also incredibly excited about the GBA Castlevania games.

@MUWANdo

Banned
How are the Yu-Gi-Oh games? I've been dying to play a good TCG on the 3DS, and with ZEXAL being the only option I'm actually considering downloading it. I don't particularly care for the actual TCG or the animated series, but can someone vouch for these titles?

I've heard this particular game was gutted during localisation and is pretty bad, but I haven't actually played it so don't take my word for it.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Doesn't seem like the site is updated yet, but here's what I see is discounted on the 3DS:

- Animal Crossing: New Leaf - $19.99 (reg. $29.99)
- Star Fox 64 3D - $29.99 (reg. $39.99)
- Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D - $19.99 (reg. $29.99)
- Kirby's Dream Land 2 (VC) - $2.49 (reg. $3.99)
- Donkey Kong (VC) - $3.49 (reg. $4.99)
- Kirby's Dream Land (VC) - $2.49 (reg. $3.99)
- Pac-Man & the Ghostly Adventures - $11.99 (reg. $19.99)
- Game & Watch: Donkey Kong Jr. (DSiWare) - $1.49 (reg. $1.99)

& yes, WTF at Star Fox 64 3D's price being $30 DISCOUNTED.

Here's Wii U:

- Pikmin 3 - $39.99 (reg. $59.99)
- Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze - $29.99 (reg. $49.99)
- Pac-Man & the Ghostly Adventures - $11.99 (reg. $19.99)
- Kirby & the Amazing Mirror - $4.99 (reg. $7.99)
- Donkey Kong (VC) - $3.49 (reg. $4.99)
- Kirby's Dream Land 3 (VC) - $4.99 (reg. $7.99)
- Donkey Kong Jr. (VC) - $3.49 (reg. $4.99)

kennah

That's super balls for Star Fox. Considering it was on clearance for $10 a while back.

That's the price I wanted for Animal Crossing. Will pick it up today.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Oh god, The Letter is 49 cents again.

I'm honestly tempted to get it just so I can get another $5 from the DDP since I'm 3 points short.

Top Bottom