• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo DS Lite gets new LCD screens. Not for the better unfortunately.

ucdawg12 said:
Is there any way to get this thread back on track and help those of us who would like a DS Lite but want to avoid getting one with this new lcd screen?

Well I already asked if there's a serial number we could be avoiding. I just recently got a new job and a DS Lite would be an awesome way to spend my first pay.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
clearacell said:
New DSLite screen confirmed to be unusable by GAF poster.
No one can seem to make any sort of discussion without an idiot such as clearacell making an unnecessary comment. Why are you even stating something like this? The OP just contributed more to this forum than you ever have (Look at all the brilliant three line posts in your posting history) and here you are turning his findings into something more than mere objectively proposed information. You're exactly what's wrong with this forum.

To the OP: I, too, have seen something similar to what you have reported but have never had the chance to compare the screens side by side. I figured it was just in my head. Perhaps I should grab the new DS Lite and compare it to my launch version. I wonder how many I can round up to see if there are more than just two different ones. Not too many friends of mine play video games, though, but I do have young cousins who own a DS Lite.

At least I can finally say I'm glad to have bought one of the first ones. I usually get screwed by buying launch hardware from Nintendo, such as the original DS I had.

fernoca

Two things...I'm wondering since I am (was?) planning on buying this bundle:
-Could be possible that it was just your DS/bundle?? (just like there "normal" DSlites with the yellow tint on the touch screen)

-The new DS was at the lowest brightness setting when you took the pictures ..right??

Senger

My gf opened up her Brain Age 2 bundle DS today and I compared it with my launch white DS lite. The screens are different but you have to be really looking to notice the difference. The new DS stays brighter at sharper viewing angles but my old DS retains more detail. Don't know if that makes sense, but it's not very noticeable. Also, there seems to be a slight bit more ghosting on the new ds, but again it's not very noticeable. I know my gf would never see a difference from just normal usage.

In a related story, I bought a ds phat a few months after launch. My screens had that gameboy screen effect where when you turn the system off you can still see a bit of the last image you had on the screen. I know three people who bought a ds phat after i did and none of their screens had that afterimage. I tried a while back to see if i could see a difference in image quality between my screens and theirs and never found a difference. But i guess it shows that Nintendo's never been shy about changing the screens on the DS.

Aokage

Pretty nice guy (apart from the blue shadows thing...)
The amount of "lol @ complaining about LCD quality" in this thread is ridiculous. This is serious business. I just bought the crimson/black DS myself, and the screens are not the same quality as my Japanese launch day white DS. The viewing angles appear to be much reduced–so much so that even the slight difference in angle between the top and bottom screen when the clamshell is open is noticeable. I thought I may have simply got a bunk unit, but perhaps not. The bottom screen also seems to have a slight yellow tint compared to the upper, easily noticeable when both are displaying pure white. I'm not happy about it.

Perhaps I'll try to swap the guts out of my launch DS Lite into the crimson/black...I dig the color combination so much (and yeah, I know many people think it looks hideous.)

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
I need to know if every recently produced DS prior the red/black ones have the old or new screens. If it's the old tech, I'm buying one next week.

Aokage said:
I just bought the crimson/black DS myself, and the screens are not the same quality as my Japanese launch day white DS. The viewing angles appear to be much reduced–so much so that even the slight difference in angle between the top and bottom screen when the clamshell is open is noticeable.

Seems like yourself and the OP have this issue with the new red and black DS. Let's hope it's just limited to the new bundle and it doesn't trickle down to regular DSs.

this isn't limited to just the red and black ds' considering what i went through 2 months ago trying to find a perfect one. just look at my previous post in this thread.

WickedLaharl said:
this isn't limited to just the red and black ds' considering what i went through 2 months ago trying to find a perfect one. just look at my previous post in this thread.

Whoops, missed that. So this already a months-old problem?

_leech_ said:
Whoops, missed that. So this already a months-old problem?

as far as the tinted touch screen, that's a pretty old problem. in a thread where i complained about it ruby_onix made some posts about nintendos change in screen manufacturers. ruby posted and linked to that thread on the first page.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=7576268&postcount=48

v0yce said:
I've heard complaints about the yellow touch screen for quite a while now.

http://kotaku.com/gaming/mellow-yellow/rumor-ds-lite-screens-turn-yellow-gross-260799.php

I think its a seperate issue from what the OP is describing.

it probably is, but aokage posted that his has a yellowish tint

fernoca said:
Two things...I'm wondering since I am (was?) planning on buying this bundle:
-Could be possible that it was just your DS/bundle?? (just like there "normal" DSlites with the yellow tint on the touch screen)

-The new DS was at the lowest brightness setting when you took the pictures ..right??

The bolded text right below the image says that the screen appears equally as bright at a normal viewing angle mate. It's just some weird effect the camera picks up on due to the color difference, the black DS Lite is still displaying a very bright white where the red/black DS Lite is displaying mostly greys. Both systems' brightness were either set to 3 (the default out of the box) or 4 (the maximum), can't remember but it was equal. It'd be a pretty crappy comparison pic if it wasn't.

Other people have reported the same findings so I highly doubt it is some isolated batch.

Don't let it put you off from buying that bundle though. Just keep your receipt and remember this thread. ;) Buy, report back, return or keep, etc.

WickedLaharl said:
as far as the tinted touch screen, that's a pretty old problem. in a thread where i complained about it ruby_onix made some posts about nintendos change in screen manufacturers. ruby posted and linked to that thread on the first page.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=7576268&postcount=48

Thats quality findings right there, I suspected this problem went back further than the red/black DS Lites (it's not like I buy a new DS Lite every few months just to see the lay or land or anything..). Where did you hear of this Sharp to Samsung change ruby_onix?

Also, the yellowing tint of the bottom screen has nothing to do with the problem I'm trying to figure out (though that is still an outstanding problem with the DS Lite). My launch day white DS Lite did not have the yellowing, my launch day black DS Lite did, all 3 red/black DS Lites I saw had yellowing screens to varying degrees as well. I would say you are more likely to get a yellow tinted bottom screen than not.

AFAIK this has affected the DS Lites from day 1, though I've never seen one even close to as bad as those ones in the Kotaku image.

masterkajo

I just bought a silver DS Lite in Europe (with Zelda Phantom Hourglass... finally!!) and as far as I can tell it has the "new" screens. When you look from an angle like in the picture in the first post, it pretty much looks like the Black/Red DS Lite.
But it is not that bad since you hardly play holding the DS Lite in that particular angle. When you are holding it normally, it is much much better the old DS (which I used to have).

One thing bugs me though, when I look at the bottom screen of my new DS Lite when it is turned on, I could swear it isn't totally centered. Like left of it there is about 1mm black and on the right side there hardly is anything black.
Is this normal or am I just looking from a "special" angle? Or could it be that my DS just has a manifacturing failure? Because when I look at my old one, I do not get that impression.

joelseph

Stumpokapow said:
Like I mentioned in the Brain Age 2 thread, I have a launch white DS Lite and a black-red Brain Age 2 DS Lite. I do not experience a yellow tint on the black-red DS lite. I do not experience ghosting on the black-red DS Lite. I do experience a reduced viewing angle, but it's not anywhere near as bad as the picture posted by the OP.

I have reasonably sharp eyes and I'm generally sensitive to ghosting. I run my PC monitor (a CRT) at 85hz because anything lower hurts my eyes. I work in magazine publishing and as such am at least a little bit accustomed to working on calibrated screens that were purchased for their ability to display color as close as possible to print.

This is just my experience and I'm in no way denying anything anyone else has experienced.

I agree with this analysis. I have an launch white, a brain age 2 crimson-black, and a ds phat.

Christine

masterkajo said:
One thing bugs me though, when I look at the bottom screen of my new DS Lite when it is turned on, I could swear it isn't totally centered. Like left of it there is about 1mm black and on the right side there hardly is anything black.
Is this normal or am I just looking from a "special" angle? Or could it be that my DS just has a manifacturing failure? Because when I look at my old one, I do not get that impression.

It very well might be slightly misaligned. Off-center or tilted screens are known to happen.

masterkajo

TwinIonEngines said:
It very well might be slightly misaligned. Off-center or tilted screens are known to happen.
Will I get a replacement when taking it back to the store, or do I have to live with it?

the-iek

masterkajo said:
I just bought a silver DS Lite in Europe (with Zelda Phantom Hourglass... finally!!) and as far as I can tell it has the "new" screens. When you look from an angle like in the picture in the first post, it pretty much looks like the Black/Red DS Lite.
But it is not that bad since you hardly play holding the DS Lite in that particular angle. When you are holding it normally, it is much much better the old DS (which I used to have).

like i said in the other thread, i compared my launch white ds lite with the new silver lite and noticed no difference at all.

Christine

masterkajo said:
Will I get a replacement when taking it back to the store, or do I have to live with it?

I have no idea, depends on the return policy at the store where you bought it. They will probably replace it.

If you're in the U.S. you can get NOA to replace your DS for pretty much any damn reason you're not happy with it. I've actually been fairly abusive of this process and I can tell you that they are very free with the DS replacements. Of course any replacement unit, retail or direct, will start you from scratch with a non-zero chance of manufacturing errors such as fixed pixels, misaligned screens, etc.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Sorry for the dump but a new thread is probably not needed, I just got a import DS Lite Silver one from Japan and it has a Yellow tint on the bottom. Not noticable when viewing straight on but yeah you can see it :/

lastendconductor

Put your snobby liquids into my mouth!
VOOK said:
Sorry for the dump but a new thread is probably not needed, I just got a import DS Lite Silver one from Japan and it has a Yellow tint on the bottom. Not noticable when viewing straight on but yeah you can see it :/
:lol :lol :lol

Josh7289

Any updates? My bottom screen on my DS Lite is really scratched up, and I'm thinking about getting Nintendo to repair/replace it, but I don't want one with a crappy response time or anything...

Most companies have more than one source for LCD screens. Just crack open your laptop's LCD panel and you will see. I use to nitpick over these when I shop for gadgets. Not now though, except from notebooks.

Davidion

My friend just picked up a crimson and black, we did a side-by-side comparison and both of us could barely tell the difference. All we could notice was a slight difference in red vs. green color saturation between the two.

I'm sure if you play in pure darkness a whole lot if *might* make a difference. Otherwise, the new one looked fine.

Josh7289

Davidion said:
My friend just picked up a crimson and black, we did a side-by-side comparison and both of us could barely tell the difference. All we could notice was a slight difference in red vs. green color saturation between the two.

I'm sure if you play in pure darkness a whole lot if *might* make a difference. Otherwise, the new one looked fine.
Elaborate on the "red vs. green color saturation" that you saw. Do you mean one looked better? Or that one was better with red, or green? Or what?

Do the DSes in stores now still have this problem with the screens or not? Is it really that bad that someone with a launch DS lite shouldn't get a new one even though his has the infamous crack up top that's making the handheld feel a bit funky?

Edag Plata said:
Do the DSes in stores now still have this problem with the screens or not? Is it really that bad that someone with a launch DS lite shouldn't get a new one even though his has the infamous crack up top that's making the handheld feel a bit funky?

I stepped on my launch DS a couple weeks and broke the screens and I'm not liking my replacements.

The first one I picked up had a mis-aligned lower screen and the one I exchanged it for has a dead pixel on the top screen and the yellow tint problem on the bottom screen. I don't feel like going through another return so I'm going to try to deal with this one but my launch DS seems like it was better quality than the ones I purchased.

Saint Gregory said:
I stepped on my launch DS a couple weeks and broke the screens and I'm not liking my replacements.

The first one I picked up had a mis-aligned lower screen and the one I exchanged it for has a dead pixel on the top screen and the yellow tint problem on the bottom screen. I don't feel like going through another return so I'm going to try to deal with this one but my launch DS seems like it was better quality than the ones I purchased.

What color did you get for your replacement?

So the screens of all the Lites of today are either worse or still have the problems like the yellow tint and the lower viewing angle?

Didn't the Cobalt one have the best screens of all?

How are the Red, Green, and Blue ones in EU that launched last month?

Alcibiades

a few days ago my launch DS Lite started having problems with the R button not registering properly, so I think it's time for a new one...

unfortunately I remembered this thread so I'm also wondering if there was a way to know which models are safe to buy... I want the best screen possible...

Gamecocks625 said:
What color did you get for your replacement?

Both were white, and both were purchased at Best Buy. I had the same problem with my DS fatty (dead pixels, yellow tint) so I'm not sure if the new screens are really the problem.

Nintendo was really good about replacing my fatty until I got one I was happy with (took three replacements) and my launch white DS was perfect. I have a feeling it's just the luck of the draw and whether or not you have the patience to find the perfect one.

I was thinking if I get a new one to get a Black one...I don't know if the color matters in this case but if that's helpful in determining anything....

On the contrary, the old Black DS Lite I had had problems with the touch screen and the D-pad. I sold it and bought the limited edition Zelda Gold DS lite, tis awesome!...they not only fixed the D-pad issue(where you couldn't go diagonal), they also fixed the touch screen! The previous one's touch screen had 2 layers, and they were too far apart, so when I make contact more than likely it'd register at a different point....it was annoying. But with this new one, no problems whatsoever!! :) *is happy*

Edag Plata said:
I was thinking if I get a new one to get a Black one...I don't know if the color matters in this case but if that's helpful in determining anything....
I just bought an Onyx one a couple days ago and everything seems perfect.

gimz

the upper screen of my first gen white DSlite has been having problems lately, i need to bend it to a certain angle to make the screen works

im now just waiting for a re-design of DSliteSP to come out so i can get one of them instead of getting another dslite now

Gabyskra

Banned
Bump.

With FE DS and its online mode coming out soon, and no redesign announced, I'm thinking about getting a DSl very soon. Now, I'd hate to have subpar screens. Seriously, we haven't figured out a way to know about their quality? Trends with color schemes? Has anything changed since a year?
:(

Wallach

Gabyskra said:
Bump.

With FE DS and its online mode coming out soon, and no redesign announced, I'm thinking about getting a DSl very soon. Now, I'd hate to have subpar screens. Seriously, we haven't figured out a way to know about their quality? Trends with color schemes? Has anything changed since a year?
:(

Hate to bump an older thread, but it seems relevant and people still ask from time to time, so...

I picked up one of the new "Limited Edition" Pokemon DS Lites today, and I thought people may be interested to know that they are not using the newer LCDs that the Cobalt/Black model is using. I exchanged my first one to be sure (and the fact that the top LCD had some coloring problems), but the Pokemon edition seems to be the same LCDs used in the older White/Pink, and the same fab process as the Brain Age Red/Black bundled versions.

My second Pokemon DSL had no defects but shows the same signs of the older fabs in that the touch screen and top screen are not quite the same color due to the additional layering on the lower screen. Some of them have this worse than others, so if it's something that you think will bother you (even though it is pretty much unnoticeable outside of the IPL) you should probably take that into consideration when buying this limited edition.

The Silver/Black model will be using the same LCDs and fab as the Cobalt/Black - those LCDs are darker but slightly more vibrant in color, and suffer from a slightly lower refresh rate than the older screens. They do not have the additional layering on the touch screen though and I've not seen one that showed any significant color difference between the lower and upper screens.

So, if you're planning on picking up a new DSL here in the near future, I'd take the above into consideration.

Wallach said:
Hate to bump an older thread, but it seems relevant and people still ask from time to time, so...

I picked up one of the new "Limited Edition" Pokemon DS Lites today, and I thought people may be interested to know that they are not using the newer LCDs that the Cobalt/Black model is using. I exchanged my first one to be sure (and the fact that the top LCD had some coloring problems), but the Pokemon edition seems to be the same LCDs used in the older White/Pink, and the same fab process as the Brain Age Red/Black bundled versions.

My second Pokemon DSL had no defects but shows the same signs of the older fabs in that the touch screen and top screen are not quite the same color due to the additional layering on the lower screen. Some of them have this worse than others, so if it's something that you think will bother you (even though it is pretty much unnoticeable outside of the IPL) you should probably take that into consideration when buying this limited edition.

The Silver/Black model will be using the same LCDs and fab as the Cobalt/Black - those LCDs are darker but slightly more vibrant in color, and suffer from a slightly lower refresh rate than the older screens. They do not have the additional layering on the touch screen though and I've not seen one that showed any significant color difference between the lower and upper screens.

So, if you're planning on picking up a new DSL here in the near future, I'd take the above into consideration.

Are you sure the silver one is the two-toned one and not an all-silver one?

Also, how would you know that the upcoming silver one has the same screens as the cobalt one? Or are you just "guessing" as you might have the Guitar Hero one?

Wallach

Hero of legend said:
Are you sure the silver one is the two-toned one and not an all-silver one?

Also, how would you know that the upcoming silver one has the same screens as the cobalt one? Or are you just "guessing" as you might have the Guitar Hero one?

It's just what I've gathered through channels at work. I mostly do contracted lot check testing, so I am in contact with different folks at Nintendo quite often.

"http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/Prod...oduct_id=72125

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, does the pokemon one have the same or a different screens than the Zelda DS? I have the Zelda now and see any problems with my screens and I have the Pokemon edition on order"

But unless he got a prerelease those are pretty old so they wouldn't really apply all that much.

Wallach

larvi said:
http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=72125

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, does the pokemon one have the same or a different screens than the Zelda DS? I have the Zelda now and see any problems with my screens and I have the Pokemon edition on order

Unfortunately I couldn't tell you; I've not been able to get my hands on one of the Zelda editions.

larvi

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
But unless he got a prerelease those are pretty old so they wouldn't really apply all that much.

Gamestop got the Pokemon ones in today from what I understand. Mine's on order from Amazon so I won't be getting it for probably a week or so.

"Gamestop got the Pokemon ones in today from what I understand. Mine's on order from Amazon so I won't be getting it for probably a week or so."

Ah, I was just going by there site and obviously today isn't the 19th.

Top Bottom