• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo @ E3 - No Direct, Just Zelda Treehouse Stream

Status
Not open for further replies.
Retail confidence

"Hey the wiiu is as bad as PSP, but hey amiibo are selling, but just u dont start selling 2nd hand ones like you do skylanders or we will punish you. we look forward to more retail exclusives with amazon and gamestop, thanks bye"
Lmao. The Wii U wishes it was half as successful as the PSP.

AdanVC

The radio silence and s
tupid
illy plans from Nintendo this year is actually working with me since I'm finally going through my backlog of Wii U games. I currently started playing Captain Toad Treasure Tracker again since I literally only played the first three levels when it came out in 2014 and never played it again... Props, Nintendo!

BTW, It's a great game. Pixar like graphics.

Ansatz

How can you say that you're going to put all the effort into 3DS this year and then show nothing for it at E3?

Either something went terribly wrong at nintendo, or they have something big up their sleeve with the 3DS/NX handheld.

It's to avoid a similar reception as last year's, because when people think "E3" they expect megatons. Announcing they have nothing and getting the disappointment out of the way now is better than getting fans hyped based on bingo card speculation and rumors, only to receive a weak Direct with games like FF and Color Splash as the highlights.

It's that or they're taking a step towards abandoning E3, perhaps if they are satisfied with the performance of their own event later this year when they'll reveal NX they will consider toning down their E3 presence even further.

We'll probably get a Direct in late June or July showing upcoming 3DS/WiiU titles.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Just saw this news. It was bad enough when Nintendo gave up on providing actual conferences, but now they can't even be bothered to do a fucking Direct? Yet another sign the company is in disarray. This proves that their in a much more precarious position than they've ever been in before. But it also seems to be more proof that Kimishima is a terrible successor to Iwata (R.I.P.). I wouldn't be surprised if they even cancelled Zelda at this point.

AndrewPL

I think this says more about e3 than the death or lack of games from Nintendo.

There no point bringing anything since they can get the same or more press anytime in the year they do a direct.

Oblivion

...Really? Why in earth would they do that?

They might as well since they don't have anything else to show. Last year they didn't show anything Zelda related period, so it's not like there's no precedent.

Codeblue

They might as well since they don't have anything else to show. Last year they didn't show anything Zelda related period, so it's not like there's no precedent.

Their mistake wasn't skipping it last year, it was showing it waaaaaaaaaaay too early in general. Honestly, they might be better off not showing it at this year's E3. March 2017 is a ways away.

Oblivion

I've read this four times and I still can't figure out what you're trying to say.

I'm saying from their perspective, they might feel that they might as well pull Zelda too since they've already decided to show nothing else. What's one more game to add to the chopping block?

The point is that this is going to be without a doubt the worst Nintendo E3 ever.

Piscus

I hope this thread continues to grow more negative. It'll make things all the more amazing for you guys when the NX finally gets announced and shown.

Aroll

Nintendo is slowly dying before our very eyes. It really sucks to admit that.

They have a brand new home console coming out next year, a slew of 3DS games the rest of this year, a crap load of money in the bank, two brand new mobile games (5 before the end of the fiscal year)... and they have been posting profits for 2 or 3 straight years, putting more money in the bank. Their stock has also been rising.

If they are dying, then I don't know what living is.

What they are doing is shifting with the market.

I think this says more about e3 than the death or lack of games from Nintendo.

There no point bringing anything since they can get the same or more press anytime in the year they do a direct.

To be fair, directs do NOT get the same press as E3. You rarely ever see the New York Times, as an example, covering news from a Nintendo Direct. There is still a huge precedent at E3 that gets general media paying attention when they normally don't.

Nintendo can circumvent this problem when they announce the NX if they make it a live reveal event like Sony and Microsoft did and invite all the general media as well as games media to it.

That being said, certainly E3 has been diminishing in importance overall. It's no longer a death knell not to have your game there, nor is having it there a guaranteed boost to your success. It's still a big event, probably the biggest media one, but it's not something that determines your success overall these days.

That's not true. Tri Force Heroes was unveiled at E3. It's a Zelda game. It's part of the timeline, and I may get hated for it... but man is it a ton of fun.

That being said, Nintendo's E3 booths generally heavily feature 2 or 3 games. Them reducing it to just one isn't really too big of a deal. Not having a direct at all certainly is as it implies that depsite a strong lineup for 3DS, they are diminishing it's importance.

I will say this - I bet Nintendo has the most interesting booth at E3. It will feel like you're walking into a Zelda game in real life, if what they did for TP back at E3 2005 is any indication.

BlackJace

I'm saying from their perspective, they might feel that they might as well pull Zelda too since they've already decided to show nothing else. What's one more game to add to the chopping block?

The point is that this is going to be without a doubt the worst Nintendo E3 ever.

Oh, you mean cancel it from appearing at E3. I thought you meant cancel it from releasing, and I was looking forward to what bizarre logic got you to that conclusion.

I mean, it is what it is. They have Zelda to show so they might as well. Pulling out entirely just adds more fuel to the doom machine.

It's only ever the worst E3 when you're in for the surprise and it isn't what you want.

Barring any sort of Direct before E3, they've been fairly straightforward.

tauroxd

That doesn't explain anything...

It explains that The Pokémon Company is really a different beast, they do their own thing and prefer to show their game earlier when it will gather more attention instead of fighting for it with a ton of other announcements... But in the in what this doensn't explain is why it won't be playable on E3, I understand not announcing or showing more of it (besides the previous announcement) in E3, but not having it playable it is not smart.

On one hand E3 seems to be losing support so it makes sense Nintendo would downscale their investment/presence, but it still confuses/concerns me that the only game they are promoting is a "TBD 2017" game.

The more I think about it, not doing a Direct is ludicrous. I'm not saying it's free, but smashing together a few trailers for the remaining upcoming titles, especially indie stuff (which I'm sure they'd appreciate greatly), is really not a huge effort. Not in the context of things.

If they could manage a Wii U pricecut ($229 sounds right), maybe announce a weeklong sale on popular Wii U DLC (Smash Bros, Mario Kart, Super Luigi U), that would be something at least. "Never a better time to jump in and experience the catalog, and be ready for Zelda" and all that.

But even without that, it's free eyes! It's almost a slap to their remaining developers to not offer some time for their products if Nintendo isn't going to take it. (Or spend it entirely on one single game.)

RibMan

They've either got a plan in place that they aren't sharing yet, or something has gone terribly wrong at Nintendo. I'm really hoping it's the former and not the latter.

RomanceDawn

Just saw this news. It was bad enough when Nintendo gave up on providing actual conferences, but now they can't even be bothered to do a fucking Direct? Yet another sign the company is in disarray. This proves that their in a much more precarious position than they've ever been in before. But it also seems to be more proof that Kimishima is a terrible successor to Iwata (R.I.P.). I wouldn't be surprised if they even cancelled Zelda at this point.

Hmmm... Are you Oblivion from Nintendo World Report? I feel like I'd recognize your posting style anywhere.

Also it's been a year since Iwata died and this is all during Nintendo's transitional phase to both their hand held and home console, lets see how these new systems fair before we claim Kimi is a terrible successor.

tronic307

Nintendo's just creating a desert to build thirst lol. This way the slightest NX tidbit will bring a stampede. They don't want another Wiimote Moved or Kinected, plus E3 takes preparation time they don't have if they're banging away at an imminent console release; demos take dev time away from games.

Oblivion

Hmmm... Are you Oblivion from Nintendo World Report? I feel like I'd recognize your posting style anywhere.

From NWR? I don't think so. I might have made an account at one point in the past, but if so that would be 7+ years ago.

Korigama

Rather pitiful, but at the same time, I can't be bothered to care about their lack of effort at this point. There's enough for me to account for already with 3DS, and I'm not particularly excited about the future with NX.

Seil

Pokemon isn't at E3 because gamefreak runs on their own schedule. Was XY even at E3 2013 at all? I don't remember. And all ORAS got in 2014 was a short trailer showing nothing new in the digital event.

I think Fairy Type was officially announced in the E3 trailer for X&Y.

Fady K

I'm sure Nintendo has so much to show eventually for the NX and that it'll be a very cool or at least interesting reveal with many unannounced games and all.

Having said that, what surprises me even more than Nintendo's lack of news in the past year or so are those here that continue to excuse and defend them. I guess they must be some serious Nintendo loyalists cause I can't see how else they would excuse this.

B.O.O.M

lol at people trying to defend this. Nintendo need ALL the Hype and PR they can get at this stage. They were absolute smacked with the WiiU. A well done new hardware reveals trumps ANYTHING the competition can throw at you and this E3 could have been a great start leading up to the NX launch which is well less than a year away from now. But nope. This is bad news/look no matter how you try to spin it. What they are essentially doing is allowing the competition to garner more mindhsare and market. I hope they know what they r doing because as far as I see it this is a huge mess of a decision.

Leave luck to heaven..leave baffling decisions to Nintendo

Fady K

lol at people trying to defend this. Nintendo need ALL the Hype and PR they can get at this stage. They were absolute smacked with the WiiU. A well done new hardware reveals trumps ANYTHING the competition can throw at you and this E3 could have been a great start leading up to the NX launch which is well less than a year away from now. But nope. This is bad news/look no matter how you try to spin it. What they are essentially doing is allowing the competition to garner more mindhsare and market. I hope they know what they r doing because as far as I see it this is a huge mess of a decision.

Pretty much...I'm surprised by how much some posters are excusing them and downright defending them.

Oddish1

I'm guessing they're still going to have a hardware reveal. Just not at E3.

I figured they were never going to reveal it at E3 in the first place since it doesn't make sense to anymore. Why compete with headlines when you can just pick a random week during the rest of the year and dominate the video game news for a bit.

B.O.O.M

Pretty much...I'm surprised by how much some posters are excusing them and downright defending them.

Guess there is a defense for anything these days lol

I'm guessing they're still going to have a hardware reveal. Just not at E3.

I figured they were never going to reveal it at E3 in the first place since it doesn't make sense to anymore. Why compete with headlines when you can just pick a random week during the rest of the year and dominate the video game news for a bit.

Sure but they don't 'have' to reveal NX to have a good E3 and generate hype towards it. Sony was masterful at it this time around by just announcing some specs and a controller leading up to E3. Similar strategy would have worked here too. No need to show a lot...show 'something' interesting! Thing with E3 is it gets the attention of many including those who are not onboard with Nintendo. A brand new hardware reveal (unless it's a disaster...then again maybe even then) will out-hype any other announcement made by their hardware rivals.

As I said, they need ALL the hype/pr they can get to avoid another WiiU. That thing did some major damage to them in the home console market. I mean next year won't be any easier if the PS4k and Xbone 1.5 rumors are true.

Fady K

Indeed...and the thing is, this is what they have planned for 2016 (so far) - Mario & Sonic at the Olympics for Wii U, Metroid Prime Federation Force (possibly the worst looking and least anticipated Metroid game of all time), Pokemon Sun & Moon and potentially Paper Mario: Color Splash for the WiiU. That's it. That's absolutely it.

Pokemaniac

At this point, I really just have to wonder what caused the NX to get delayed. Because this clearly wasn't Nintendo's Plan A for this year's E3.

Crayolan

Indeed...and the thing is, this is what they have planned for 2016 (so far) - Mario & Sonic at the Olympics for Wii U, Metroid Prime Federation Force (possibly the worst looking and least anticipated Metroid game of all time), Pokemon Sun & Moon and potentially Paper Mario: Color Splash for the WiiU. That's it. That's absolutely it.

There's also Rhythm Heaven Megamix and Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE in the west, and I think Zero Time Dilemma is this year as well?

Galava

At this point, I really just have to wonder what caused the NX to get delayed. Because this clearly wasn't Nintendo's Plan A for this year's E3.

I think it's because of production issues or small change of plans because of PS4.5 (though Nintendo usually gives 0 fucks about them), but they say it's because they want to have a good game line-up for when the console releases.

Oddish1

Sure but they don't 'have' to reveal NX to have a good E3 and generate hype towards it. Sony was masterful at it this time around by just announcing some specs and a controller leading up to E3. Similar strategy would have worked here too. No need to show a lot...show 'something' interesting! Thing with E3 is it gets the attention of many including those who are not onboard with Nintendo. A brand new hardware reveal (unless it's a disaster...then again maybe even then) will out-hype any other announcement made by their hardware rivals.

As I said, they need ALL the hype/pr they can get to avoid another WiiU. That thing did some major damage to them in the home console market. I mean next year won't be any easier if the PS4k and Xbone 1.5 rumors are true.

I guess I just don't have the same faith in E3 that you have. I don't think "winning" E3 means anything. Why bother trying to win such an arbitrary title when it would be more prudent to unveil it on your terms and on your own time. It's why Nintendo does directs in the first place.

I also don't think there's anything particularly special about E3 that allows people who don't care for Nintendo to suddenly care about Nintendo. People who tune into E3 are generally enthusiasts and will probably find out when Nintendo unveils their console regardless. And if not then, then when Nintendo starts advertising and promoting their system for more mainstream audiences.

Champion

>They will only be showing one game

>Which is more than likely the inferior version.

>And its on hardware that they've already announced is getting faded out.

>Plus we're looking at least 9 months before the game is released.

I thought there was no way they could do less than they did at E3 2015 but here we are! This is an all new low for Nintendo.

Galava

>They will only be showing one game

>Which is more than likely the inferior version.

>And its on hardware that they've already announced is getting faded out.

>Plus we're looking at least 9 months before the game is released.

I thought there was no way they could do less than they did at E3 2015 but here we are! This is an all new low for Nintendo.

Still can't get my head around as to why they made this decision of not showing "anything".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom