• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo @ E3 - No Direct, Just Zelda Treehouse Stream

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rolodzeo

seinfeelde3l70p.gif

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Actually millions watched Nintendo with the best E3 event in 2014 and it didn't move the needle. So no E3 doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things.

When NX is ready to be revealed everybody will be hyped.

It's also about mindshare. I'm 100% sure Nintendo spent 10s of millions of dollars advertising their products in 2014 and it didn't move the needle.

The answer isn't to stop advertising Nintendo products. Some of you are looking at E3 and advertising totally wrong.

If anything it's probably the equivalent to this.

dQ43kA2.jpg
Well that picture ain't wrong about patience.
Countless post about how thristy people are about NX news.

It amazes me how much of a hurry people are because it tells me they play a lot of games. I'm actually jealous that they got the time for that and here I am barley being able to finish 2-3 games a year if I'm lucky.

Yonafunu

Can't see why this would be surprising for anyone. We already knew Zelda would be the focus, might as well go all the way instead of some half-assed half-hour Direct with games nobody cares about.

I'm not bothered by it, just let the Wii U die and move on. This is necessary.

Sylas

Somehow Microsoft, EA, Ubisoft, Sony, Bethesda, et al., can deal with the "notoriously short attention spans" and announce stuff at E3 and still get coverage. I don't see why this would be an issue for Nintendo.

And yet the other companies pulling out of E3 mean nothing... Hrmmm.

Not ready? The thing is coming out in less than a year. It makes no sense at all that they can't show it in some forms. Not even a controller or concept. It's very understandable for someone to think something might have gone very wrong with the NX development because that is the only logical explanation for its absence.

It can be many reasons. Maybe they don't have game demos ready? Maybe they want to show and reveal everything at once (games, system, etc.). Maybe it's all not ready. Maybe they just don't want to compete with media attention against MS and Sony because they get less attention compared to those two?

Zelda is the focus of E3. This was made clear last week.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Edit: Actually, what be hilarious/sad is if Nintendo just showing up with Zelda and having nothing but treehouse coverage of it somehow manages to be better than what MS/Sony present. Their treehouse stuff *has* been the highlight of the last few E3s for me, so it's not impossible, but those treehouses had a good selection of stuff to show off.

That would be ironic, but it's literally not possible. With PSVR and the rumored new Xbox One hardware, they will beat Nintendo with those 2 things by default.

BeauRoger

Unconfirmed Member
NX and it's development must be a disaster of epic proportions. There is literally no defense for having no E3 presence.

Yeah, this is what im thinking as well. Maybe they got caught off guard by VR and are now scrambling to incorporate it into NX, because they realized it was going to get overshadowed otherwise. Also, From what i understand, the dev kits were sent out very late. I can imagine that the few third party devs that showed even luke warm interest werent willing to start dedicating big resources to rushing a game out for the launch, especially not with the wii u in fresh memory.

trixx

LOLOLOLOL!!!!! Stop lying to yourself. Millions of people will be paying attention to video games and Nintendo is not going to be present.

That's NEVER good.
Exactly. If anything E3 would've given even more exposure to their games and upcoming consoles than their own event. Usually only Nintendo and video game fans are tuning into nintendo directs. E3 would've propelled the exposure beyond just gamers to even tech enthusiasts in general

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
I must say I am quite disappointed. We knew The Legend of Zelda for Wii U would be the focus of the show, but I was hoping for at least a few more games shown. I will happily watch the Treehouse stream however.

benedictm

Banned
Nintendo do move in mysterious ways. Whatever is their thinking here - i can;t even imagine its to keep Wii U sales dop as they have already said Zelda is releasing for NX at same time - you'd think there would be some messaging to reassure people.

Just get Reggie to do a piece to camera reassuring that pk its a bit quiet but they are bona knock our socks off next year, Thats all they need,.

Not revealing the NX is weird but understandable not saying anything is about the worst thing they could possibly do.

Okay so even within your anecdotal slice, would they really have anything to say or any sort of pressing opinion on Nintendo not attending e3? Like I'm sure they know about it and see and share videos on Facebook and Instagram and stuff but do they really give a shit ? Or is it more likely that we are a very small handful of gamers that like to analyze and pontificate upon the industry itself...

To normal people games are just games. Like movies and music. They don't follow the industry. E3 is for press, mainly, and also enthusiasts. One year they didn't even let fans in lol it was only press allowed iirc

You could very well be right, but it just presents an image that Nintendo doesn't have much to show compared to their two main competitors (regardless of whether or not Nintendo views them as competitors). It's very much a psychological effect to those who care about E3 but don't follow all of the press releases and rumors about new consoles.

Millions of people watch most of the streams, right? I can't imagine they are just press and enthusiasts.

But again you could be right, maybe their mindshare won't be affected because it's more or less at its low point anyway. Their own, well publicized event in September for instance might be more beneficial to them than continuing to focus mainly on E3. We'll see I guess.

PillarEN

OK. So it's full on quiet time at Nintendo. All aboard the NX train
*rolls eyes as a disgruntled Wii U owner*

You'd think after the feedback they're getting that they'd, I dunno, listen? I know GAF doesn't represent the whole of the industry, nor are the demographics of GAF necessarily those that Nintendo is marketing to, but I mean....

I'm scratching my head. Perhaps NX will blow the pants right of my legs when it's revealed, but currently I'm in a state of doubt. Less for me to watch at E3 this year, I suppose.

Duxxy3

So Nintendo is basically taking off 2016. Hopefully we get a spaceworld at the end of the year, beginning of next year.

benedictm

Banned
Rösti;202696061 said:
I must say I am quite disappointed. We knew The Legend of Zelda for Wii U would be the focus of the show, but I was hoping for at least a few more games shown.

I know. I mean what about Paper Mario: Colour Splash at least

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
If you'd like to believe that Nintendo is gonna have an even later this year and show it off and still make the March '17 date with nothing to show 10 months from launch, you can continue believing that everything is fine. It's clearly a disaster considering it's been pushed back from its original date and we still know as much now as we did a few months ago.

The NX event is when they will unveil the console, we know it's going to happen later this year. Now, why do you believe unveiling it later than E3 means it's going to be a freaking disaster (I just can't take these shitty hyperboles anymore, btw)? We live in a brand new communication era, announcements years before the release are not needed anymore. Let's say the event takes place in August-September. That would be 7-8 months before the release, it's plenty of time to advertise your upcoming product. Just as a comparison, PS4 was officially announced 9 months before its release, while Xbox One around 7 months.

javac

My interpretation is: "We've got nothing to showcase apart from one game, but if we skip E3 this year then we lose our floor space. We've got to turn up with something! ANYTHING!1!"

That's not true tho and you know it. Yes they only really have one title worthy of being a tent-pole, showstopper (I mean, that's usually how it goes anyways) but regardless if they're filling the show floor with just Zelda this year then they could easily fill a show floor with Zelda AND Paper Mario, Mario & Sonic 2016, Kirby Planet Robobot, #FE, Pokemon Sun and Moon, Dragon Quest 7 and 8, Monster Hunter Generations, Rhythm Heaven, Youkai Watch 2 and whatever they have unannounced which Kimishima has said does indeed hold true for 3DS. Best show floor? No, but the idea that they only had one game and it happened to be Zelda is silly.

s_mirage

Seems a bit troubling to me. If they have unannounced 3DS games, it makes sense to show them. The "their own conference lets them get all of the attention" argument doesn't seem like it should really matter for 3DS stuff, as they have no real competition in that sector of the market.

I'm just a bit worried now that they had a big NX announcement planned, and based their entire show around that, but have now ditched it for some reason. The projected launch is only 10 months away, and there's the grand total of zero hype at the moment other than what the Nintendo faithful are making for themselves. If they're going to have their own conference to launch the NX, they better announce that at E3.

You'd think after the feedback they're getting that they'd, I dunno, listen? I know GAF doesn't represent the whole of the industry, nor are the demographics of GAF necessarily those that Nintendo is marketing to, but I mean....

I'm scratching my head. Perhaps NX will blow the pants right of my legs when it's revealed, but currently I'm in a state of doubt. Less for me to watch at E3 this year, I suppose.
Well I remember a lot of people saying that they should've just shown Zelda and they would've been happy :p.

Galang

Banned
It's pretty clear they don't have enough non-NX related products at this point to make an interesting enough presentation. No Direct is better than forcing a E3 Direct to happen with footage from Federation Force, Paper Mario and games we already know about. The backlash would be bad either way. Still silly for them to focus on just Zelda. They could easily have had a mini direct at least? With an actual Pokemon sun & moon blowout, Mother 3 announcement and another random thing? I'm sure they have at least one or two unannounced 3DS games. I don't blame them at all after the backlash from the last E3 direct though. People didn't react very highly to Paper Jam, Triforce heroes and federation force at all.

Look, I can understand E3's waning relevance being a factor here but Nintendo is/was a major console manufacturer. Them just showing one game, one game that might not even be out before the next E3 even, is totally bonkers.

SerTapTap

What the fuck I insisted to several people ZElda wouldn't be the only thing they showed. This is lamer than I expected. Honestly just skip E3 entirely and have your own dang stream some other time if this is all you got.

"E3's waning relevance" isn't a factor here either. They simply have nothing to show it seems. E3 was clearly important for both Sony and MS. Nintendo pulled out all the stops for their E3 directs too, even when they had, IMO not that much to show.

Kouichi

So it's not that skipping the E3 direct is a bad idea, just that the Wii U failure has put in such a bad position that skipping E3 is a good idea given the circumstances. If you have nothing else to show, then don't force it just to meet tradition. The NX reveal is their biggest focus and clearly their not ready to show it. I think we can all agree that the best thing Nintendo can do is make sure their NX reveal is top notch. If it isn't ready for E3, then forcing it will just make things worse.

It's difficult to argue if this really is bad or good when we have practically no idea what their long term plans are at the moment. I'm leaning towards good.

Draeter

Banned
Make no mistake, this is not a "choice" Nintendo is making to not have an e3 presentation. They literally can't.

So encouraging.
Worry not Nintendo, people will jump immediately at your console that more than likely only you are going to support and after seeing you being unable of support your previous platform.

Nosgotham

So Nintendo is basically taking off 2016. Hopefully we get a spaceworld at the end of the year, beginning of next year.

yeah there has to be somethig like that in the works. so weird no games are being covered. i understand not having NX but no wiiu/3ds games??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom