• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo employee says yesterday's Smash Bros. Direct is hiding a few things

Caladrius

I could see it happening with the weird stuff they put in Brawl.

Those features contributed to Brawl's protracted development.

With the increased workload for a more technically advanced system combined with the shorter development schedule I seriously doubt we're going to see a large amount of completely ancillary features. (i.e. ones that have nothing to do with the regular pvp and single player game modes.)

Azerare

Stolen from the internets

TWs9uxk.jpg
I started thinking the same when he revealed the pseudo palutena trophy.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
I hope he hypes up Ridley reveal and hints he found a way to make his size work.
Only to reveal 8-Bit Ridley assist trophy.

Zero Suit Samus has Bayonetta moves. Bayonetta confirmed.

You know, a Bayonetta skin for ZSS could work. Maybe that's why they upped Samus' sex appeal and then some.

Is there a fire and ice theme? Check the logos. Fire on the 3DS, Ice on the WiiU. Has that always been like that? Fire 3DS with a Summer release date and Ice on the WiiU when it comes out in Winter.

super_smash_bros_3ds_wii_u_logos.jpg

/tinfoilhat

That's fire not ice. Look at the base of a flame, you can usually see blue.

PKrockin

Those features contributed to Brawl's protracted development.

With the increased workload for a more technically advanced system combined with the shorter development schedule I seriously doubt we're going to see a large amount of completely ancillary features. (i.e. ones that have nothing to do with the regular pvp and single player game modes.)
Re: increased workload, they have experience on the 3DS and help from Namco. Such a feature would be almost pointless but I could see it happening, maybe while waiting for matches or something. Kid Icarus had the power portrait and donating heart to the goddesses which both served no purpose at all.

Hylian7

That's a different Link though.
There's only 1 Ridley!
Incorrect actually. Remember that the Ridley from the original Metroid all the way through his demise in Prime 3 is the same Ridley. In the Prime games he was revived as Meta Ridley and so on.

Now the Other M Ridley is a new Ridley, since "Little Birdie" was actually a baby Ridley and became the Ridley we see in the Pyrosphere.

So what does this mean?

I expect Meta Ridley to be playable.

ED Cantu

He didn't show Ray MK2 or Isaac as an assist again so I have delusions already.

What delusions? that's undeniable proof that Isaac will be a playable character, now the only question is if we'll get young or old Isaac.
6HRZwHf.jpg
fhgbl0p.png

I know, I know, but let me dream GAF

My heart sank when the Ridley shadow was shown. That would be such a cruel tease if he's only a stage hazard.

Incorrect actually. Remember that the Ridley from the original Metroid all the way through his demise in Prime 3 is the same Ridley. In the Prime games he was revived as Meta Ridley and so on.

Now the Other M Ridley is a new Ridley, since "Little Birdie" was actually a baby Ridley and became the Ridley we see in the Pyrosphere.

So what does this mean?

I expect Meta Ridley to be playable.

But there could still be hope!

DeaviL

Banned
I'm watching through the stream again, but if the rest of GAF isn't going to find anything my chances are slim.
Watching it again got me thinking that i'd really love the skyward sword Zelda in the game though.

EDIT: but that already came up apparently....

Lindbergh

I remember seeing they left some debug info on the upper left during ZSS's portion of the montage at 36:00.

Remaining HP: 100.000 in purple letters huh?

You know who else had 100.000 HP?
Probably NES Ridley.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Sorry about double posts. My apologies!

Someone mentioned that he could be the antithesis of Little Mac. Air-focused, weak on the ground.

Yep, I suspected that Ridley is opposite of Little Mac. Ridley might be very slow on the ground but he would move little swifter in the air.

Lunar15

The more I think about it, the shadow of Ridley was flying in the air for quite some time. There's no players that can fly that long, and even Pit's ability to fly for a long time was removed. I'm changing my stance from playable to stage boss.

Palutena is absolutely in though. It's undeniable. They even removed her from Pit's final smash.

Kolma

wRBPXdr.png

every other figurine he showed was a character in the game.

Maybe he will pull a ZSS just kidding and remove Waluigi as assist and make him playable?
His assist reveal didn't look as good/detailed as the rest of the assist trophies
Waluigi-in-Smash-630x354.jpg
Super_smash_bros_mother_brain.jpg

Also have there been any images or videos of Waluigi "Assist Trophy" on screen with 4 playable characters at once?

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
The Ridley in Metroid Fusion's also a copy. And there's a handful of robot Ridleys out there. Plus I'm not 100% sure how he came back after being blown up in Metroid 1. So many Ridleys

to be fair there are 2 Ridleys in Fusion.
One died and the other was really a parasite

Maybe he will pull a ZSS just kidding and remove Waluigi as assist and make him playable?
His assist reveal didn't look as good/detailed as the rest of the assist trophies
Waluigi-in-Smash-630x354.jpg
Super_smash_bros_mother_brain.jpg

Also have there been any images or videos of Waluigi "Assist Trophy" on screen with 4 playable characters at once?

wut

there are screens of him doing what he always does as a trophy

Unbounded

That's almost certainly his tail blade from Other M. Other M had a fucking ugly Ridley.
ridley_struttin.gif

Well shit. I didn't know that one. I was going off of the previous Ridley models.

I'm just going to go the route that "he didn't show him for real, therefore something must be up" then.

Caladrius

Re: increased workload, they have experience on the 3DS and help from Namco. Such a feature would be almost pointless but I could see it happening, maybe while waiting for matches or something. Kid Icarus had the power portrait and donating heart to the goddesses which both served no purpose at all.

Maybe. I still wouldn't put much of any stock in the idea.

As much as I love Waluigi, that is an enormous leap of logic.

The game is less than 4 months away from the 3DS release. They wouldn't advertise something that wasn't going to be in the final at that point, much less remove something and reimplement it as a character in the two months or so before debugging and QA testing starts.

jakomocha

Is there a fire and ice theme? Check the logos. Fire on the 3DS, Ice on the WiiU. Has that always been like that? Fire 3DS with a Summer release date and Ice on the WiiU when it comes out in Winter.

super_smash_bros_3ds_wii_u_logos.jpg

/tinfoilhat
Nah, I think it has something to do with the Final Destination stage:

screen_shot_2014_04_11_at_4_27_31_pm_by_jakomocha-d7e27s3.png

Top Bottom