• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo employee says yesterday's Smash Bros. Direct is hiding a few things

Shaanyboi

Banned
Stolen from the internets

TWs9uxk.jpg

eh... Lucina would work even just as a Marth skin.

For years Sakurai has been a test subject for a secret project at Nintendo spearheaded by Iwata. Due to the potential fatalities involved, he was granted free reign on his games with the company.

The project is finally ready, and in 2014 Nintendo is going to improve the world's Quality of Life

Also Geodude is real, and strong.

sonto340

I'm not even sure what this is supposed to be saying. Those four trophies are from four of Nintendo games and this person seems to think they are the most discussed games as far as new characters are concerned. That's it? Nothing was said with that image, unless I'm missing something.

Did you watch the direct?
The trophy quizes were totally random.
And the Palutena trophy in particular was trolly as all hell.

Camjo-Z

Stolen from the internets

TWs9uxk.jpg

Yes, how random. It's not like they did the exact same "move a trophy around and reveal the full thing afterwards" thing in the special movie for Melee or anything...

Also, I can't believe that even after Sakurai all but confirmed that Ridley is going to be a boss for Pyrosphere, people refuse to lose hope.

HE'S JUST TOO BIG!!!

Village

Didn't they already disconfirm ridley.

By strait up calling him a boss character. And then someone identified the shadow as other M ridley.

JazzmanZ

Yes, how random. It's not like they did the exact same "move a trophy around and reveal the full thing afterwards" thing in the special movie for Melee or anything...

Also, I can't believe that even after Sakurai all but confirmed that Ridley is going to be a boss for Pyrosphere, people refuse to lose hope.

HE'S JUST TOO BIG!!!

just like Toon Link on the spirit train stage right?

Toad.T

Banned
The Find Mii stage struck me as odd because it had it's own Unique Icon.

Did the Electroplankton stage and the Pictochat Stage in Brawl have their own icons?

Balloon fight also had it's own emblem, while other one-note references (Sin & Punishment, SNES Sim City, the pong rip-off) had the general smash emblem.

BALLOON KID ALICE FLOATS IN NONCHALANTLY!

GDGF

Soothsayer
For years Nintendo fans (myself included) have had a habit of perhaps looking into things too much and gleaning mysterious intent where non was intended.

I'm actually thrilled that this time Nintendo really is fucking with our heads. Let the scavenger hunt begin.

Rubius

Well then nevermind.
I don't care if Mii is included or not, I'm just on the side of more fighters is always better.

Well Mii is already in the "Find Mii" stage. I wonder if they will randomly pull the mii of one of the players and put it there and rotate it somehow. Might be great. But yeah, a Mii could be cool, but outside of the Find Mii powers, what could he do? Have a mega smash where he add tiles to the "screen" and it hit every character the tiles touch?

emb

Wait that shadow over Pyrosphere... could it have hinted at Ridley being in the game as a stage hazard!?

No way so well hidden oh man.

okayfrog

Banned
I'm not even sure what this is supposed to be saying. Those four trophies are from four of Nintendo games and this person seems to think they are the most discussed games as far as new characters are concerned. That's it? Nothing was said with that image, unless I'm missing something.

And I'm not sure how you're not sure what that image is saying. That image is saying that one could believe that those trophies were chosen at random, or one could believe that those trophies are clues as to the games wherein four new characters will be drawn from.

Camjo-Z

just like Toon Link on the spirit train stage right?

There's a Ridley-shaped hole in the wall on Pyrosphere. Ridley was fought as a boss in the Pyrosphere in Other M. In the Smash Direct, they showed Ridley's shadow flying above the battlefield while stating "boss characters will appear on other stages as well".

Unless Alfonzo plans on moonlighting as a big purple dragon, I don't see how there's any other way to interpret this.

Did you watch the direct?
The trophy quizes were totally random.
And the Palutena trophy in particular was trolly as all hell.

Should they have formed a pattern instead? What trophies could they have shown not to be considered random?

And I'm not sure how you're not sure what that image is saying. That image is saying that one could believe that those trophies were chosen at random, or one could believe that those trophies are clues as to the games wherein four new characters will be drawn from.

Sure, those trophies could be hints, why not. Just the image has a weird way of saying that. Those trophies don't look random or out of place. Four trophies of King hippo in sexy wear would look random or out of place.

Didn't they already disconfirm ridley.

By strait up calling him a boss character. And then someone identified the shadow as other M ridley.

If he is just a stage hazard then why not show him?
There's a Ridley-shaped hole in the wall on Pyrosphere. Ridley was fought as a boss in the Pyrosphere in Other M. In the Smash Direct, they showed Ridley's shadow flying above the battlefield while stating "boss characters will appear on other stages as well".

Unless Alfonzo plans on moonlighting as a big purple dragon, I don't see how there's any other way to interpret this.
It's simple, you interpret it has him trolling. Sakurai knows people want Ridley playable, if he's just a stage hazard why not just show him?

Ezalc

"series that have had the most discussion regarding newcomers"

That's not even true.

How is it not?

People constantly argue on Ridley's size and now with that Boss thing during Pyrosphere.

Palutena had the supposed leaks a while ago.

People keep arguing on whether or not Ike will get cut since he's no longer the current lord. Also whether or not Lucina has a chance to get in given that in her game she's actually tries to pass off as Marth.

As for Zelda people are still wondering on whether Ganon will finally get a real moveset.

Lernaean

Banned
Those 2 PC monitors in the background are blank, Nintendo could be using them to represent the lack of new F-Zero and Metroid games.

New F-Zero and Metroid confirmed???

Ok i laughed hard with this xD
For me one is obviously the Ridley shadow. But it was too obvious, could the guy mean something better hidden?

Jamix012

If sakurai wanted to confirm ridley, do you really think he'd just show him off, given his track record and after all the fans have been asking? In all likelihood he'd show off a teaser suggesting ridley or a ridley-clone character as a boss, and then swoop in and announce his playability. Also if he wanted to confirm Ridley as a boss, why bother with the charade at all? At this point he might as well just show him of...that is if he is a boss and not his clone (Neo-ridley?)

okayfrog

Banned
There's a Clone-Ridley-shaped hole in the wall on Pyrosphere. Clone-Ridley was fought as a boss in the Pyrosphere in Other M. In the Smash Direct, they showed Clone-Ridley's shadow flying above the battlefield while stating "boss characters will appear on other stages as well".

Fixed.

Nibel

But we already know that Ridley will be in the game in a similar fashion as the Yellow Devil

And I don't expect these boss characters to be playable

Timeaisis

I think the Palutena trophy fakeout is an indication of Palutena being playable in-game. Also note they've shown Viridi and IIRC Phosphora but no Palutena.

Top Bottom