• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo employee says yesterday's Smash Bros. Direct is hiding a few things

Stulaw

Well, I think Palutena's in since Pit's FS has changed as well as the trollutena trophy.
Imagine if after all this it was Kraid that was playable and not Ridley. Or a generic Space Pirate.

Pociask

Some dude on Twitter says some random unspecified group of people are "missing things" on the Direct. He could be talking about the blue shell, or any of the hundred things people were pointing out in threads last night.

Although... maybe he's teasing the exclusive Wii U mode, Assist Trophy Trivia! Up to 4 players buzz in on the gamepad to see who can answer name that character first.

Quick edit: Or... speakers in the background of that pic... new Wii U with optical out port CONFIRMED!

BY2K

Membero Americo
Stolen from the internets

TWs9uxk.jpg

Ridley is a boss/stage hazard.

DEAL. WITH. IT!

Didn't they already disconfirm ridley.

By strait up calling him a boss character. And then someone identified the shadow as other M ridley.

This has been addressed several times... but what the heck - One more time with feeling :

Sakurai never said Ridley was a Boss Character. What happened was that Sakurai said "there are other boss characters in the game" while showing a video of Pyrosphere with Ridley's shadow passing over it.

Now, we can assume with almost 99% certainty that this means Ridley is a Boss Character, but it's still only an assumption, it's not confirmed.

Sakurai may have been trolling and teasing Ridley's eventual release as a playable character.

oti

Banned
Please tell me this guy here will be in the game. It's probably the biggest secret of them all and the best hidden one. Surely.

200px-Sugimori_054.png

Edit: And oh ya, what's up with that Ridley guy. Why do so many people want to see that thing in the game? Is it like Rosalina level of fans?

If sakurai wanted to confirm ridley, do you really think he'd just show him off, given his track record and after all the fans have been asking? In all likelihood he'd show off a teaser suggesting ridley or a ridley-clone character as a boss, and then swoop in and announce his playability. Also if he wanted to confirm Ridley as a boss, why bother with the charade at all? At this point he might as well just show him of...that is if he is a boss and not his clone (Neo-ridley?)

Exactly, I fell like he did it just to fuck with people and make them think that Ridley has no chance to be playable and then BAM, Ridley.

JoeInky

But we already know that Ridley will be in the game in a similar fashion as the Yellow Devil

And I don't expect these boss characters to be playable

Other M Ridley and actual Ridley are two different characters, the Other M version is on the pyrosphere stage based on the shot with his tail showing.

Rubius

Ridley is a boss/stage hazard.

DEAL. WITH. IT!

I dont know why people want Ridley in, even as a character he's usually never the final boss. It's always Mother Brain and other mutants.

We have a ton of good fighters that would be a great addition with the Hunters, but nobody talk about them.

King K Rool and the kremlings

Sakurai didnt announce the Kremlings like the other enemies in Smash Run

Also the Ridley and Pseudo-Pauletena trolling

Camjo-Z

If sakurai wanted to confirm ridley, do you really think he'd just show him off, given his track record and after all the fans have been asking? In all likelihood he'd show off a teaser suggesting ridley or a ridley-clone character as a boss, and then swoop in and announce his playability. Also if he wanted to confirm Ridley as a boss, why bother with the charade at all? At this point he might as well just show him of...that is if he is a boss and not his clone (Neo-ridley?)

I think it's more likely that Sakurai just thinks that boss characters are a big deal, similar to how Yellow Devil's inclusion was teased in the very first trailer but not elaborated on until just yesterday.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
I dont know why people want Ridley in, even as a character he's usually never the final boss. It's always Mother Brain and other mutants.

We have a ton of good fighters that would be a great addition with the Hunters, but nobody talk about them.
Nobody played that game.

Because Ridley is the most Iconic one and is Samus's arch-nemesis.

Some dude on Twitter says some random unspecified group of people are "missing things" on the Direct. He could be talking about the blue shell, or any of the hundred things people were pointing out in threads last night.

Although... maybe he's teasing the exclusive Wii U mode, Assist Trophy Trivia! Up to 4 players buzz in on the gamepad to see who can answer name that character first.

Yeah, I have a feeling he's just referring to the stuff that was shown but not specifically pointed out. There's probably nothing that the GAF collective hasn't found already... right?

Ezalc

Edit: And oh ya, what's up with that Ridley guy. Why do so many people want to see that thing in the game? Is it like Rosalina level of fans?

If this isn't a troll then:

Ridley is the most recognizeable figure from the Metroid Series aside from Samus and possibly the Metroids themselves. He's tied to her past in many ways and is basically the one of the main antagonists of the series.

People want him because they want more Metroid representation, he'd be another villain, and it's about damn time he'd be playable.

TWs9uxk.jpg

I think this person is on the right track, but their roster predictions are off. Lucina has 0% chance of making it, Chrom 100%. I'm not so sure about a Skyward Sword character making, I wouldn't be surprised if we see no new Zelda reps.

Plasma

Banned
A new character reveal is in the reflection in Sakurai's eye, you just have to Blade Runner enhance it to see who it is.

I think it's more likely that Sakurai just thinks that boss characters are a big deal, similar to how Yellow Devil's inclusion was teased in the very first trailer but not elaborated on until just yesterday.

The difference being Yellow Devil was shown outright from the getgo, no hinting or anything. He knows about Ridley's fanbase, and is playing with us, hopefully in a good way, to surprise us with a reveal.

TWs9uxk.jpg

Agreed. The Metroid trophy was the weirdest to be shown considering it's relevancy (character in trophy not series). Also considering the ZSS and Palutena trolls I feel there has to be something up with the obvious Ridley shadow when he mentions bosses. It's the ultimate troll if Ridley was playable as that part of the direct seems to point to him just being a boss. I wouldn't bet either way but I feel like Sakurai would have been more forthright with a Ridley boss troll by just having him clearly shown when talking about bosses in the game.

Timeaisis

That's a different Link though.
There's only 1 Ridley!

I hope you are being sarcastic and I can't tell the difference on the internet.

Ridley
Meta Ridley
Ridley X
Mecha Ridley

Not to mention the cloned version of Ridley from Other M. For all we know we could get the freaky clone version from Other M as the boss on the Pyrosphere and regular (or Meta) Ridley as a playable character.

I've noticed more discussion regarding Pokémon and Donkey Kong newcomers than Zelda. Dixie Kong and K. Rool are on more rosters than Ghirahim and Demise. Seriously, who the fuck wants Demise?

To each his own, I guess. I've seen way, way more discussion on Palutena worship (pre- and post- supposed leak), Ridley begging, and Chrom vs. Lucina for the FE:A rep than Donkey Kong reps on numerous websites. Yeah Pokemon gets a great amount of it too but it did just get a newcomer, so why "tease" another rep in the same direct? Just move down the list. This is in theory though, if the prediction is accurate.

While I think the Zelda prediction is a bit reaching, it isn't too bizarre as for a time there were plenty discussions of whether the Zelda series rep would adopt the Skyward Sword designs and if Ganon would get replaced with Demise. Fortunately that doesn't look very likely now but again choosing Fi is a bit concerning. This is all in theory, though.

There's also the De-Clone Ganondorf arguments too.

Not sure if it's been said yet, but don't stages get their own icons even if that game doesn't have a playable rep? So Pilotwings logo may only be because of the Pilotwings stage. Shouldn't read too much into that.

Ridley's Shadow playable.

Well, I think Palutena's in since Pit's FS has changed as well as the trollutena trophy.
Imagine if after all this it was Kraid that was playable and not Ridley. Or a generic Space Pirate.

Yeah, I'm surprised I haven't seen that thing about Pit's Final Smash change brought up more as evidence for Palutena's inclusion. Seems like they changed it so they could give her his old one, right?

That would be completely hilarious re: Kraid. But then there would be riots...

KHlover

Banned
If he is just a stage hazard then why not show him?

It's simple, you interpret it has him trolling. Sakurai knows people want Ridley playable, if he's just a stage hazard why not just show him?

Because he's trolling Ridley fans even harder than the rest of us :p

Someone mentioned it in the Smash thread, but in the Yellow Devil section, there is a moment where 5 people are playing.
Nope, the second "2P" indicator just shows that Player 2 has gotten the last hit on Yellow Devil and the explosion belongs to him.

I'd kinda be pissed if we got either Ghirahim or Demise, i like both of them but having, what I assume would be one, Skyward Sword exclusive character when both Link and Zelda are clearly based off Twilight Princess would not fit at all. Also, Ridley isn't playable, he's too damn big.

Since the game is gonna be released after e3 annd we are assuming the new Zelda will be announced there...

I think Zelda newcomer might be someone from the new game ?

Maybe ?...I dunno.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
God, no. I'm a huge Metroid fan and thus I hate all of those characters.

Top Bottom