• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo employee says yesterday's Smash Bros. Direct is hiding a few things

Stolen from the internets

TWs9uxk.jpg
I now want Demise over Ganondorf soooo badly!

Terrell

I love how this likely sincere tweet has been taken as a total joke when there is probably more legit hidden things here than people think there are.

But also, on the Ridley discussion... his size is less relevant than the fact that he's not an anthropomorphic character. Pretty much every character in Smash is an antropomorph, with IVYSAUR being literally the only exception, and it seems like he's gone, too.

So..... yeah.... I'm sure people are going to start talking about how a frickin' space pterodactyl is anthropomorphic.

I'd be OK with Demise replacing Ganondorf just because they essentially are the same character in the storyline (not really, but close enough) and Demise would actually get the sword-based moveset that Ganondorf has needed for his entire Smash existance.

Size is only an issue if the developer is lazy. Olimar is technically a couple of inches, as well as Kirby. Bowser has changed sizes a lot as well. If they can get Charizard to be playable then I feel like making Ridley playable as well shouldn't be a problem.

Samus is taller then Charizard without the suit on.

Stolen from the internets

TWs9uxk.jpg
I was most excited by the music that played for the Tiki trophy. If the FE:A final boss theme is a song for one of the stages, I will flip. Best song in the game and on of the best final boss themes in any game ever!

muteant

honest to god i have no emotional investment in whether ridley ends up being playable, but the suggestion that ridley is to be simply a stage hazard suggests to me that he'll be more than that, given sakurai's impishness.

The problem with Ridley is Samus.

Bowser's size fluctuates wildly between (and usually within) games so it's not too jarring to see him roughly Mario sized or just a little bigger, but Ridley has always been a fair bit larger than Samus (except weird NES Ridley lol).

They've gotta keep him big relative to Samus or it'll feel weiiird. Won't it?

I dunno. I'd love to see Sakurai make it work.

I love how this likely sincere tweet has been taken as a total joke when there is probably more legit hidden things here than people think there are.

But also, on the Ridley discussion... his size is less relevant than the fact that he's not an anthropomorphic character. Pretty much every character in Smash is an antropomorph, with IVYSAUR being literally the only exception, and it seems like he's gone, too.

So..... yeah.... I'm sure people are going to start talking about how a frickin' space pterodactyl is anthropomorphic.

Yeah, size clearly doesn't matter - when it gets in the way of gameplay Sakurai just changes the character's size so they fit better. It's the animalistic nature of the character that always made him seem unlikely. The recently announced change to Yoshi - he stands upright - and Ivysaur's (almost definite) axing seems to support the notion that characters should be Anthropomorphic to be in Smash.

Still possible though!

But then, why would Ridley ever stay on the ground long enough to engage in fisticuffs when he could just fly and blast everyone with his laser breath?

HkE2Y0h.jpg

What the hell is that on the far upper left!

It's called the moon. It's a spherical rock that orbits our planet and has big influence on our ecosystem. If you want to see it, you can go outside at night at the right time of the month, when the sun reflects off of it.
In this picture, it's covered by clouds.

trixx

I really hope Ghirahim makes it in. Hands down one of the best LoZ characters in a while.

Damn a lot of people really want Ridley in, I'd prefer one of the hunters in rather than it to be honest but I wouldn't really mind either way.

Why would anyone want tingle? That thing is just annoying.

Astorgh

I'd be ok if Ganondorf gets replaced, but i'd rather have Demise as Ghirahim's final smash (if Ghirahim makes it to the game).

Raysoul

The only thing I've noticed is that there is an HD stage for Kid Icarus, while there isn't any previous Kid Icarus game for GC or Wii.

Kid Icarus HD port confirmed

Damn a lot of people really want Ridley in, I'd prefer one of the hunters in rather than it to be honest but I wouldn't really mind either way.

The problem with the hunters is, in my opinion, that they not only are completely irrelevant to the series, but they also are essentially Samus clones. All of them have a morph ball form, an arm cannon, etc.

Fixed that for you.

Good fix.

Camoxide

Unconfirmed Member
It's called the moon. It's a spherical rock that orbits our planet and has big influence on our ecosystem. If you want to see it, you can go outside at night at the right time of the month, when the sun reflects off of it.
In this picture, it's covered by clouds.

The moon is playable confirmed

Majora__s_Mask_Moon_by_mrespman.png

(but seriously I think the MM moon could work as an assist trophy.)

MyBodyisReady

Neo Member
I personally love tingle. He's been in more games than garahim or demise. He had his own game. Unique moveset. Perfect for smash. Iconic.

If Chrom/Lucina and Ridley get in over Squirtle, I will jump off a building.

cmon you don't need to die because of my fantasy happening, man.

also what did sakurai turn into during the direct, he turned into a dragon plushie thing, what's that supposed to be? a hint maybe?

trixx

The problem with the hunters is, in my opinion, that they not only are completely irrelevant to the series, but they also are essentially Samus clones. All of them have a morph ball form, an arm cannon, etc.

Good fix.

Yeah that's true, and it also seems like they're cutting off on the clones in this game. Every character shown so far seems really distinct from one another.
And Prime hunters is pretty irrelevant lol.

The moon comment got me lol.

People really need to just let go of Ridley.
My friend noticed this in the trailer, and I'm not sure anyone else caught this, but during Smash Run...see this shot?

CZx7xlp.png

See the enemy in the top right screen? Its a Kremling!!

Kritter1.PNG

Meaning there could be a leader of those Kremlings...

BELIEVE IN THE KING

You see Kritters all over the Smash Run overview. I'm surprised people are treating this as some sort of crazy secret...

KHlover

Banned
But the leak says otherwise.

If you mean the leak I think you mean, that "leak" has 0/6 so far.

"Pokemon from X/Y" is laughably broad. If it really were a leak, the exact name of the Pokemon should have been leaked. The rest of that "leak" (except for Chorus Men) consists solely of fan favorite characters or characters which have a good shot at the roster anyways (e.g. Palutena and Chrom).

Pretty much anyone could have thrown that together and I don't doubt 2-3 characters of that "leak" will end up in the roster. Doesn't mean the "leaker" knows anything.

Yeah that's true, and it also seems like they're cutting off on the clones in this game. Every character shown so far seems really distinct from one another.
And Prime hunters is pretty irrelevant lol.

If there's any Metroid characters that aren't Ridley or Dark Samus (since it got AT-status), then I can only imagine either a soldier from Other M, or one of the hunters you fight in Prime 3.

The obvious Naruto trolling with Greninja.

Isn't Namco Bandai sort of involved with Smash? He could be in it.

Namco-Bandai is co-developing Smash Bros., and there's even items from Namco arcade games in Smash 4 (a command ship from Galaga and a flag from Rally X).
However, while Bamco is developing Naruto games, the license to use Naruto in games is still held by the publisher of the manga/producer of the show (not sure who holds which rights in Japan).

TomShoe

Banned
cmon you don't need to die because of my fantasy happening, man.

also what did sakurai turn into during the direct, he turned into a dragon plushie thing, what's that supposed to be? a hint maybe?

That was just a hint of Greninja, who was revealed at the end of the Direct.

screen-5.jpg

JCX

If you mean the leak I think you mean, that "leak" has 0/6 so far.

"Pokemon from X/Y" is laughably broad. If it really were a leak, the exact name of the Pokemon should have been leaked. The rest of that "leak" (except for Chorus Men) consists solely of fan favorite characters or characters which have a good shot at the roster anyways (e.g. Palutena and Chrom).

Pretty much anyone could have thrown that together and I don't doubt 2-3 characters of that "leak" will end up in the roster. Doesn't mean the "leaker" knows anything.

IIRC the leak was from the same person who predicted Wii Fit Trainer (left field choice to many), so he may just be super lucky with his guesses, or he knows something.

Top Bottom