• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo employee says yesterday's Smash Bros. Direct is hiding a few things

NotLiquid

Yeah it was. It was near the end, just before the silhouette fight in front of the moon.
super-smash-bros-mega-evolution-charizard-x.jpg

When I mentioned cinematic I was explicitly talking about the CG portion.

I find it interesting that in a few instances towards the end of the presentation when they are highlighting the Smash Run, surprised enemies feature an exclamation point over their head. I couldn't help but think the obvious there.

smashmgs_zpsbf8fa491.png

NewGame

Banned
The Smash Bros ARG begins. Start combing the Smash Dojo for clues.

Ridley was pretty much confirmed for level hazard thus far, yes? Just like how Waluigi is an assist and not playable because Sakurai hates us.

Hero

But the leak says otherwise.

Leak didn't confirm anything for this Direct. Also, it'd be pretty dang easy for Sakurai to put in Chrom and Lucina and just have them be direct model swaps ala Wii Fit Trainer.

Arena Ferox as a stage pretty much confirmed Chrom for me, I'm not sure why nobody else seems to have gotten on board this theory yet.

Lucina is super duper popular in Japan. Number one waifu.

During the newcomer reveal, I legitimately thought that cannonballs were being fired but they turned out to be Pokéballs instead. King K. Rool konfirmed.

I thought about Zero Samus' abilities and her new "boots"...

Both of which screamed: Bayonetta.

I'm now expecting a Bayonetta character reveal; not because it's expected or reality - it seems logical.

Leak didn't confirm anything for this Direct. Also, it'd be pretty dang easy for Sakurai to put in Chrom and Lucina and just have them be direct model swaps ala Wii Fit Trainer.

Lucina is super duper popular in Japan. Number one waifu.

Oh wow I forgot that Lucina is supposed to have chrom's fighting style. So she could really be an alt for Chrom indeed.

All the dreams can come true! The hype is just getting hype-r every day.

I would be excited for this game if I could play as Demise. But I'm a huge Demise fanboy and I think he should "replace" Ganon as the series' main villain.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
That doesn't really prove or disprove him, but unlike a lot of characters he wasn't disproven yesterday

I meant I don't know why they didn't shown Tingle after they poured a lot of loves on Zelda items, stages and assist trophies.

I know that it don't prove or disprove anything but just puzzled by that.

Tan

Also Ridley's shadow's incredibly awkward movement makes me think he's a playable character. #TeamReal

Lebon14

Samus is taller then Charizard without the suit on.

I don't know if anybody replied to that statement. Even if somebody did, I will.

Charizard, according to the Pokedex is 5'7". So, Samus could STILL be taller than a Charizard. The heels help though, that's for sure but there is no actual canon for her height (as far as I know, correct me if I'm wrong). She could very well be average height like 5'5" or 5'6".

A bit sad Midna's just an assist trophy instead of paired with Wolf Link (since Brawl's Twilight Princess Link did very little to reflect the game outside of some reskinning and the Gale Boomerang), but I guess I'm glad she's in the game at all.

Also Ridley's shadow's incredibly awkward movement makes me think he's a playable character. #TeamReal

Yeah, that was way too much to not be a tease. Going out of their way to not show him just to reveal him as a stage hazard at this point would be incredibly anticlimactic.

I thought he'd be the payoff at the end of the video, not Charizard and Greninja. Dragging it out this long has gotten kind of annoying.

yeah those trophy segments were random at first but i believe now.......

Roy is back B^)

lol if Kraid is playable or the space ghost ship boss from super metroid, he can float

Jezan

Yoshi has no one to blame but himself.

And the animators. That clipping.
Yes, Yoshi pics are really weird, clipping and deformed arms everywhere. I think Yoshi uses Mario's model.
I find it interesting that in a few instances towards the end of the presentation when they are highlighting the Smash Run, surprised enemies feature an exclamation point over their head. I couldn't help but think the obvious there.

smashmgs_zpsbf8fa491.png
But that monster (the red bowl thing) has that exclamation mark whenever the player gets too close, happened in Brawl, and his exclamation mark different from Snake's

Clov

I really would love Ridley to be in, but I honestly think the shadow was just teasing him as a boss. Of course, it would be hilarious if he was a boss and then they made another Ridley (Meta-Ridley, Super Metroid Ridley, Omega Ridley, pick one of several) playable. That would be great.

Ezalc

I don't know if anybody replied to that statement. Even if somebody did, I will.

Charizard, according to the Pokedex is 5'7". So, Samus could STILL be taller than a Charizard. The heels help though, that's for sure but there is no actual canon for her height (as far as I know, correct me if I'm wrong). She could very well be average height like 5'5" or 5'6".

IIRC Samus is supposed to be over 6ft without her suit. I looked at metroid wikia but they weren't very clear about this, though I remember reading that she was supposed to be almost 7ft tall with the suit on.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
IIRC Samus is supposed to be over 6ft without her suit. I looked at metroid wikia but they weren't very clear about this, though I remember reading that she was supposed to be almost 7ft tall with the suit on.

Samus is 6'3'' canonically and weighs 200 pounds (90.7 kg), but it's unclear whether that refers to her with suit on or suit off. However, even supposing it's with suit on, the suit doesn't actually add that much to her height according to pretty much all of the art available, so she's probably no shorter than 5'11'' at the very most. Also, when I say it's "unclear", I've always thought it was pretty clear it meant sans suit, I'm only mentioning this because there's some controversy.

Samus is 6'3'' canonically and weighs 200 pounds (90.7 kg), but it's unclear whether that refers to her with suit on or suit off. However, even supposing it's with suit on, the suit doesn't actually add that much to her height according to pretty much all of the art available, so she's probably no shorter than 5'11'' at the very most. Also, when I say it's "unclear", I've always thought it was pretty clear it meant sans suit, I'm only mentioning this because there's some controversy.

What I wonder know is how in the world she is able to bend into a morph ball.

Mory Dunz

I would hope that's the suit or something....

That's NFL Wide Receiver size.

RE: Trophy possible teases:

Definatly feels that way for Palutena and Ridley. I personally am almost 100% sure Ridley is even after they showed off his "boss". And Palutena is obvious since she's such a great character and Sakurai worked on Kid Icarus.

Tiki - I don't know much about Fire Emblem (plan to get Awakening later this year.) but doesn't that trophy kinda look like a final smash trophy? Then again the leak says Chrom is in, and I doubt there will be two newcomers for Fire Emblem. Of course the leak could be wrong, but if its really from the same person who said the possible E3 characters...then yeah. I tend to really believe it.

Fi - I have no idea how this will work. I know someone was mocking it in the Greninja thread, but I really believe that Mario, Side Mario, Zelda, and Pokemon will all have the same amount of characters like in Brawl. (As in slots, not counting something like Pokemon Trainer as 3 characters lol.) so unless there is another Mario newcomer, two new Side Mario newcomers, or Mewtwo/Pokemon Newcomer, then this doesn't add up. (Yes, I know I'm just talking out've my ass now but I'm going with it.) Of course, the most logical solution to this is to simply replace Ganondorf with Demise. Everyone wants Ganondorf to have a moveset that makes sense and they could do a newcomer, and more sword focused character villain at the same time. I do not believe that Girahim would replace Ganondorf.

RE: The Leak:
Like I said, if its from the same person from the E3 leak, then I really tend to belive it. It could be wrong of course, but if its right its kinda sad that we may already know most, or even all newcomers in Smash 4. I don't really care for Chrom or Shulk that much, and it is suprising to me that a newcomer FE character would not be a girl considering that Sakurai wanted more females and FE seems to be a mostly 50-50 between the genders but IDK.

Chorus Men. (Could just be one.) That just sounds awesome. I can already imagine them screaming being a move. It totally works as a WTF character and I want it.

RE: My talking out've my ass about the 5 character rule.
If I'm right in predicting 5 characters for Mario, Side Mario, Zelda, and Pokemon, and if all Brawl veterans return minus Snake, Squrtle, and Ivysaur, then that brings the roster upto 48 characters. Add in Ridley, and a 5th Side Mario character and you got 50 characters with a very wide random button at the bottom of the character select screen. The 5th Side Mario character would likely be a DK rep and I would've thouht it would've been Dixie before this direct, and I'd rather have Dixie anyday, but with the kremlings I just dunno. I would rather have Dixie, but honesly it seems it would be K.Rool. Why else add Kremlings to Smash Run? Retro seems like they just want to get away from them, so it seems like Sakurai himself added them on. If he did that, he may have listend to fans and added K.Rool as a third DK rep.

That brings the roster upto 50 characters. Guys, Ithink I may have completely guessed the roster omg.

I'm being dead serious about me believing the leaks and guessing the rest of the roster. No one just guesses Wii Fit Trainer. I honesly believe I just spoiled the game for myself. Now I feel bad. Dat Chorus Men tho. Please be true, I'll take this roster.

Also wtf at three blue sword guys for FE if true. Seems like there is such a variety of characters in it and we could get stuck with this. I don't even.

We ARE talking about a game made by Japan's #1 industry troll. To be expected.

Troll? Yes. But he's not cruel. He loves his fans, and he loves making games for his fans and pleasing them. He wouldn't drag this out so much if there wasn't more to Ridley than him swooping across a stage a bit.

Could be worse, though. You could be a Snake fan and not even have a shred of anything to base blind hope on.

Well, Kojima outright said it's not likely Snake will be in Smash 4, so might as well just go by that. :p

Top Bottom