• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo eShop update officially released [New Update: Fixes Ridge Racer 3DS issue]

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
butter_stick said:
In the Notification for the store update in NA there was a point about it breaking RR3D so I guess it doesn't apply to EU.

EDIT:
Tarin02543 said:
my 3ds did say that ridge racer would be broken for a couple of weeks and I'm in belgium.

I think we are not out of the clear yet.
I guess it does then.

GeekyDad

Not to go too far off topic, but since Club Nintendo has come up a few times within in this thread, I was wondering if anyone knew if there was a cut off time to use coins? I could swear I remember Nintendo resetting my coins not too long ago. I want to make sure I spend those suckers this time around before that happens.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
GeekyDad said:
Not to go too far off topic, but since Club Nintendo has come up a few times within in this thread, I was wondering if anyone knew if there was a cut off time to use coins? I could swear I remember Nintendo resetting my coins not too long ago. I want to make sure I spend those suckers this time around before that happens.
From the Club Nintendo thread.
Fuzzy said:
The only coins that are expiring June 30th are ones earned before July 1st 2009. Coins earned July 1st 2009 to June 30th 2010 will expire June 30th 2012 and so on.
If you log into your account on Club Nintendo there's a place where it tells you if you have any coins expiring this year.

Glix

DMG-01 said:
Conversely, I've somehow gotten 3 times the coins for linking my one 3DS. :p

qU9ur.png

I haven't gotten any surveys to fill out for any of the DSiware that I've since downloaded though (including Shantae); I think it's only for certain Nintendo published titles or something like that.

I thought I was so special for getting credit twice. You're a dick for ruining it for me.

EDIT - I TAKE IT BACK I GOT CREDITED AGAIN TODAY!!!

Managed to get a SpotPass notification informing me that Pokedex 3D was available for download. They even put up an Pokedex icon on the menu to select (asking me if I wanted to download the feature or not)

angelfly

AndyMoogle said:
It doesn't bother me that much that there is no background downloading, but please show me the download progress in %, Nintendo!
I always figured they did that to mask slow downloads from their servers.

GeekyDad

AndyMoogle said:
It doesn't bother me that much that there is no background downloading, but please show me the download progress in %, Nintendo!

Meh...percentages are never accurate for gauging ETA when downloading content anyway. On PSN, you can download something, it say 33% for two minutes, and then, bam! It's at 100% instantly. The progress-bar-type thing they use is sufficient, I think. At the very least, it gives you a real sense of how much of the actual download has been sent.

Razorskin

----- ------
AndyMoogle said:

Yeah but wouldn't you prefer watching a box slowly glow to the top?

Ketch

Maybe this has been asked already but does anyone know if there's going to be a set schedule for new releases akin to VC on the Wii?

GeekyDad

EasyTGT said:
Maybe this has been asked already but does anyone know if there's going to be a set schedule for new releases akin to VC on the Wii?

I was under the impression there would be an eShop update each Thursday.

So you know that theres only 60 icon slots right? Well after transfering all my DSiWare I hit 60 slots! NNNNNOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!

Then it doubled to ONE HUNDRED AND TWENTY SLOTS! Wow that was awsome. My menu is now huge! I wonder if it goes up higher?

DMG-01

WiiRevolution1 said:
So you know that theres only 60 icon slots right? Well after transfering all my DSiWare I hit 60 slots! NNNNNOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!

Then it doubled to ONE HUNDRED AND TWENTY SLOTS! Wow that was awsome. My menu is now huge! I wonder if it goes up higher?
I really really really hope that the play log thing does this too.

PKrockin said:
They do show the %. The background of the icon fills up with yellow.

GeekyDad said:
Meh...percentages are never accurate for gauging ETA when downloading content anyway. On PSN, you can download something, it say 33% for two minutes, and then, bam! It's at 100% instantly. The progress-bar-type thing they use is sufficient, I think. At the very least, it gives you a real sense of how much of the actual download has been sent.

Razorskin said:
I didn't notice that there was a progress bar already.

WiiRevolution1 said:

Wait really? That's sweet!

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
WiiRevolution1 said:

Wait...this may sound silly, but I purchased two DSiWare titles and noticed that X-Scape (or whatever the X game is called) is about 120 blocks. It looked like there was only 888 blocks of free memory, so I estimated I could hold no more than 10 DSiWare titles in system memory. 3DS software has no such limitation, of course...

How many DSiWare titles do you have in memory (a lot, I assume), and why aren't you running low on that?

I know there is limit to how many DSiWare titles you can have installed at a time (40, I thought), and now I'm really puzzled as to whether there's a trick to the memory I'm missing.

Glix

DavidDayton said:
Wait...this may sound silly, but I purchased two DSiWare titles and noticed that X-Scape (or whatever the X game is called) is about 120 blocks. It looked like there was only 888 blocks of free memory, so I estimated I could hold no more than 10 DSiWare titles in system memory. 3DS software has no such limitation, of course...

How many DSiWare titles do you have in memory (a lot, I assume), and why aren't you running low on that?

I know there is limit to how many DSiWare titles you can have installed at a time (40, I thought), and now I'm really puzzled as to whether there's a trick to the memory I'm missing.

Can't you use an SD card? Like the Wii! (DSi had a SD slot)

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Glix said:
Can't you use an SD card? Like the Wii! (DSi had a SD slot)

DSiWare can't be run off the SD card.

3DS software is installed to the SD and run directly from it, but DSiWare is installed to internal memory.

Edit: Just double checked... I had about 1000 blocks of internal memory before installing my 2 DSiWare titles, and now I have about 888 remaining. This would seem to put a practical limit to 10-20 DSiWare titles accessible at any one time. I thought I heard this was the case on the DSi, and it appears to be as well... given the fact that DSiWare seems far more popular than WiiWare, I'm wondering why NCL hasn't enabled some sort of SD launching for DSiWare titles.

BooJoh

Razorskin said:
tbh I'd much rather watch the freaking adorable Pikmin progress screen you get when transferring DSiWare.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZc65U0WFFk

It has 3 or 4 variations of how they carry the icon over too (based on file size I think.) Sometimes the icon is big and a bunch carry it, or they'll carry it in pieces, etc.

jgkspsx

Great, so now we can't search by title at all?

It is an improvement (and it's not like the store part of XBLA isn't clunky either), but it's also irritating that your search gets cleared after a purchase and there's no "recent searches" memory.

It will be interesting to see where it is in six months. Hopefully Wii will switch to eShop too. It still has another year or more to go...

Ketch

GeekyDad said:
I was under the impression there would be an eShop update each Thursday.

So does that mean something new is coming out tomorrow? I really want more 3D classics and this talk of some people playing Xevious already has got me excited, but that fact that I can't play it right now has got me bummed.... woe is me.

Deku

Banned
jgkspsx said:

It is an improvement (and it's not like the store part of XBLA isn't clunky either), but it's also irritating that your search gets cleared after a purchase and there's no "recent searches" memory.

It will be interesting to see where it is in six months. Hopefully Wii will switch to eShop too. It still has another year or more to go...

Shop menu is a little unweildy, they should at least allow users to keep custom search terms as a favorite so you can jump to something right away.

Or create custom categories.

small matter.

BooJoh

jgkspsx said:

I'm having trouble thinking of a situation where the normal keyword search wouldn't work just fine, unless a game has an incredibly generic title. Just type the game's title in the search box on the bottom of the eShop's front page.

maeda

Does anyone feel that they should hardwire the eshop app on the top of the menu panel in the same row with notifications and browser? It just makes sense if they are trying to make it crucial to the 3DS system. I wish there were no connecting screens and it would be seamless like live, where there is one loading at the boot and rare short loadings afterwards.

http://techforums.nintendo.com/message/37045

I did notice that the light did come back on after I updated the system, but didn't pay much attention to it cause I was still using the 3DS with the AC adapter still plugged in

But tonight, I left the 3DS in the charging cradle to recharge the battery and the LED charge light never turned off. I don't remember the exact time I put the system on the cradle, but I did leave it there for about 4-5 hours (probably more than that)

It's a minor thing, but I do hope it gets fixed

dk_

Yeah, here too. When I leave my 3DS turned on while loading, a plug symbol appears when it's fully loaded. I guess everyone has this problem!

angelfly

lazybones18 said:

I did notice that the light did come back on after I updated the system, but didn't pay much attention to it cause I was still using the 3DS with the AC adapter still plugged in

But tonight, I left the 3DS in the charging cradle to recharge the battery and the LED charge light never turned off. I don't remember the exact time I put the system on the cradle, but I did leave it there for about 4-5 hours (probably more than that)

Weird I don't have that issue at all.

BooJoh

I didn't recall having that issue, and can now confirm it. I just now saw the orange light go out. I opened the system and the charge indicator has a plug on a blue background, so mine is still working fine.

creid

I just noticed that if you get Mii Plaza StreetPass hits after the update (from someone who also has the update,) you get a menu option to check out a Mii's last played game on the eShop. That's pretty cool.

GeekyDad

Just picked up Escapee Go and Aura-Aura something or other. The Aura-Aura is pretty cool so far, but I didn't play much of it. It uses the buttons, which surprised me. I was expecting it to control with the stylus. Still cool.

Escapee, though, wow! Best $2 I've spent in a while. There's definitely some luck involved, since you can find yourself caught in corners with no hope of escape, but the powers-ups, vibe, and overall premise are just awesome. Kinda reminds me a bit of Exit and Dementium, with a sprinkle of Pac-Man thrown in for good measure.

Links Awakening is fantastic on the 3DS. If anyone was worried about being a bad port, there is no need to worry. Only problem so far is saving the game, you need to press start-Select-A-B which is annoying on the 3DS.

lazybones18 said:

Same here. Light is STILL on, after 24+ hours haha

dallow_bg

nods at old men
clifftrapremover said:
Links Awakening is fantastic on the 3DS. If anyone was worried about being a bad port, there is no need to worry. Only problem so far is saving the game, you need to press start-Select-A-B which is annoying on the 3DS.
Use Y, it's also mapped to Select apparently.

clifftrapremover said:

You can hit Y instead of select, which makes things a little easier. Also, it probably goes without saying but Y functions as select in the Virtual Console, so that should make playing some games less of a strain on the fingers.

Manmedaz

clifftrapremover said:

First time playing the game and I love it :).

angelfly

snap0212 said:
Isn't the store supposed to be updated every Thursday? If so; why wasn't there an update today?
I wouldn't expect it to be updated the same week it's released. Any content that would have released today most likely was simply put into the initial launch.

brb

RR3D works fine for me after getting the eShop update. ¯\(°_0)/¯

No notification either. Hmm.

Either way, loving Excitebike 3D!

snap0212

angelfly said:
I wouldn't expect it to be updated the same week it's released. Any content that would have released today most likely was simply put into the initial launch.
That's pretty disappointing. Especially since the eShop became available months after the system's launch. Nintendo really had enough time to get some content ready.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
The Lamonster said:
So...hoping that Ridge Racer fix is coming soon...

What is the issue exactly? RR is one of the few games I am considering buying when I get my 3DS.

angelfly

Brandon F said:
What is the issue exactly? RR is one of the few games I am considering buying when I get my 3DS.
It's not not really that much of an issue and is totally avoidable. The game may freeze if you press b on one of the screens before starting a race. Simple solution is to just not press b on those couple of screens.

Wichu

Brandon F said:
I think it's that pressing B on certain menu screens to go back may cause the game to crash. It's not gamebreaking, and doesn't affect the actual gameplay - just be careful on the menus.

Also, more people should take a look at Pokédex 3D (even if they delete it afterwards). It is, in my opinion at least, one of the more graphically impressive 3DS 'games' out so far.
The 3D models are smooth and well-animated, there's several examples of shaders and normal mapping (such as Dewott's shells), it has pretty good self-shadowing and nice lighting effects (on the settings menu, choose scene 3; also, Emboar's 'beard' and Zekrom's alternate animation have neat lighting effects), has AA even in 3D mode (haven't seen this a lot), and seems to run at a stable framerate (I'm not one of those guys that can tell 30 FPS from 60 FPS at a glance, but it seems pretty smooth to me). If you use AR markers (basically special low-res QR codes) you can get up to 12 Pokémon on-screen at once (I think you have to unlock this; at first, you can only have 8); I haven't noticed any decrease in quality while doing so (they cast shadows on each other too).

Top Bottom