• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo FY13: $70M Net Income; WiiU 3.45M, NDS retires, 3DS/WiiU miss expectations

So wait, there were no billions of losses? Or ami reading it wrong

Operating loses are what the other thread was about and they were actually almost twice as bad as predicted.

3DS missed it's revised estimate by 1 million and original by 3.5 million.
Wii U missed it's revision by 500k and initial by 2 million.

Besides a few key titles there's not much positive to spin here.

Thoraxes

I know the Wii U is doing badly month to month, but 3.5 million units doesn't seem so bad in 5 months, I guess?

Yeah, that was my take on it too. I still think they have an uphill battle, but if what they've mentioned they're going to release this year actually comes out, I think they stand a decent chance at meeting that projection with the holiday season.

StevieP

Banned
Well hey look at that. The Wii global tie ratio. Just waiting for more people to pop up saying everyone bought it and put it in their closet after only purchasing 1 game.

Madness

I know the Wii U is doing badly month to month, but 3.5 million units doesn't seem so bad in 5 months, I guess?

It's somewhat bad since they launched at a decent price point and had the launch window to themselves.

I believe the Wii was closer to 5.8 million sales within 5 months and the ps3 was closer to 3.1 million unites within 5ish months.

This holiday, the Wii U goes up against a likely ps4 and nextbox launch. Going to be hard to justify a Wii U sale.

Even worse considering there are few AAA titles announced for the Wii U. Maybe sales will pick up with the ps4 and nextbox if those systems don't live up to the hype or cost to much, but I feel Nintendo needs to make moves quick.

Fidelis Hodie

Infidelis Cras
NSMBU did pretty good all things considered. Over half the install base.

Pretty much what I saw too. After the insurmountable charges of doom and gloom . . it really doesn't look that bad? Not an up year or anything, and Nintendo clearly has to go into desperation mode to kick-start those WiiU sales (if that's even possible), but good god those software sales are incredible. I had no idea Mario 3ds Land was even close to that high.

Operating loses are what the other thread was about and they were actually almost twice as bad as predicted.

can somebody recap the operating losses vs net income thing again?

if i remember, "operating" profit loss could be termed "normal operations", while Net income has all the crazy loans and interest and depreciation what have you included? So operating is somewhat the "truer picture"?

DGRE

Banned
All of their previous FY forecasts are pretty much right on.

I wonder if the Animal Crossing number includes NoK (Korean) sales.

I still play Mario Kart 7 a few times a month.
DLC tracks and karts for that game would have been very welcome.

Kid Icarus sold ok. Not as much as I would have thought.

Fire Emblem mysteriously absent from that color infographic....

Mario Golf and Animal Crossing will be the next top tier 3DS first party games with legs

Striek

The stock market always seems to do the opposite of what I expect :lol

Yen is at a five year high, Nintendo hadn't reported. Wait until tomorrow.

How likely is it that the Wii will get discounted this year? Numbers seems really bad imo.

They're only forecasting 2 million shipped so they're probably only going to be clearing stock. I don't think it gets a pricedrop as much as retail clearances.

Ecotic

BTW Nintendo sotck closed with a 5% increase in Osaka.
Where are you seeing that? Nintendo stock closed down 16 cents or -1.09% to $14.50. It doesn't really matter though, this report came after the market closed. When it opens back up it will be interesting to see.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Impressive Luigi's Mansion sales in such a short period. 3DS about to explode when Pokemans and Smash hit.

Incoming 100 DS postmortem threads.

Kazerei

Banned
can somebody recap the operating losses vs net income thing again?

if i remember, "operating" profit loss could be termed "normal operations", while Net income has all the crazy loans and interest and depreciation what have you included? So operating is somewhat the "truer picture"?

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2013/130424e.pdf

If you look at the statement of income (page 8) of the above PDF, you can follow the math from top to bottom.

Operating income is basically sales minus costs. It's the most direct measure of whether the business is making money. Ordinary income has a bunch of other stuff added in, and then net income has a bunch more stuff added in. Basically.

Yen is at a five year high, Nintendo hadn't reported. Wait until tomorrow.

Mmm, good point, that slipped my mind.

Is this where Iwata wanted the company to be at? How's the Wii U doing? Better or worse? I have such a hard time reading these threads. : /

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Does the 3DS million sellers list include third parties? No, right?

Crazy to believe Rumble Blast sold that much. XY are going to be huge (as somewhat expected.)

serplux

I still play Mario Kart 7 a few times a month.
DLC tracks and karts for that game would have been very welcome.

Kid Icarus sold ok. Not as much as I would have thought.

Fire Emblem mysteriously absent from that color infographic....

Mario Golf and Animal Crossing will be the next top tier 3DS first party games with legs

It wasn't out in Europe yet! It's somewhere around 700k without Europe, and I think it has a shot at getting there.

Does the 3DS million sellers list include third parties? No, right?

Crazy to believe Rumble Blast sold that much. XY are going to be huge (as somewhat expected.)

No. If it did, it would have included Dragon Quest VII and Monster Hunter 3G.

Sendou

Is this where Iwata wanted the company to be at? How's the Wii U doing? Better or worse? I have such a hard time reading these threads. : /

Wii U's doing just about what you would expect from a console with no games. Nintendo is doing historically bad but this is not unexpected.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Christ, that Wii U momentum is awful. What a drop off.

FY2013/14 fct:

Wii U - 9m hardware, 38m software
3DS - 18m hardware, 80m software
Wii - 2m hardware, 20m software
NDS - 0 hardware, 10m software

Revenue - 920bn yen (+44%)
Operating profit - 100bn yen
Net income - 55bn yen (+674%)

Seems rather optimistic to me.

How the hell are the going to manage a YoY increase for 3DS from 14m to 18m?!?

The report blames the slow sales of the Wii U on lost momentum due to the delay of 1st party titles and commits to releasing key titles for the second half of the year and into next year. The predict 100 million operating profit for this FY, using 90 yen to the US dollar and 120 yen to the Euro.

JoeM86

Obviously it's not where he wants it to be. While the company is back in the black in general, the operating income is atrocious and needs to be rectified

Ecotic

The Wii U has sold 3.45 million units, down from Nintendo's estimates of 4 million, and those estimates were revised downward from 5.5 million. So worse.

2013/14 fct:

Sticking to the 100bn Yen I see. If Iwata could pull those estimates off.... He can stay at NIntendo forever.

FY2013/14 fct:

I don't see how they reconcile, the two bolded. Price needs to drop if they're to get anywhere near that number. Unless they're expecting the 3DS to essentially cover that.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
3DS has a lot coming this year so I understand being bullish there, but what in the world would make their Wii U software sales so high?

wsippel

Banned
Where are you seeing that? Nintendo stock closed down 16 cents or -1.09% to $14.50. It doesn't really matter though, this report came after the market closed. When it opens back up it will be interesting to see.
I'm not sure you're looking at the right numbers. Those are split shares only traded in the US (regular shares are >$100), and it's in the middle of the night over there.

Bruno MB

Fiscal Year 2013 software sales:

3DS (old titles)

Mario Kart 7 - 2,840,000 / 8,080,000
Super Mario 3D Land - 2,450,000 / 8,290,000
nintendogs+cats - 580,000 / 3,280,000
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D - 340,000 / 2,950,000
Pokémon Rumble Blast - 210,000 / 1,290,000

Wii

Wii Sports - 2,390,000 / 81,990,000
Mario Kart Wii - 1,820,000 / 34,260,000
Wii sports Resorts - 1,750,000 / 31,890,000
Super Mario Galaxy - 1,040,000 / 11,720,000
New Super Mario Bros. Wii - 1,020,000 / 27,880,000
Super Smash Bros Brawl - 690,000 / 11,490,000
Wii Fit Plus - 380,000 / 20,860,000

guit3457

Some interesting things:

"In addition we are planning to more actively support the Japanese software developers in distributing their key titles overseas"

About the Wii U:

"We plan to concentrate to concentrate on proactively releasing key Nintento titles from the second half of this year through next year in order to regain momentum for the platform"

I guess all start with Pikmin 3 in August and then Mario 3D U, Mario Kart U, Bayonetta 2, The Wonderful 101, TLOZ Wind Waker HD and other things they'll announce in the E3...

Top Bottom