• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo FY13: $70M Net Income; WiiU 3.45M, NDS retires, 3DS/WiiU miss expectations

3DS has a lot coming this year so I understand being bullish there, but what in the world would make their Wii U software sales so high?
They know what is coming this fall and we don't? They pushed several games meant to count toward this FY into the next?

Please be excited!

RamzaIsCool

The Amiga Brotherhood
The real story here imo are the poor 3DS numbers. Hardware decreased for the third year straight in the quarter. It missed it's revised target by a million. Software sales are horrible as it moved only 50m units for the year, the DS was doing 2.5x that at this point. The DS accelerated to godtier sales, there is not even an inkling that the 3DS can come close to that. The gap will even get wider, so I guess Nintendo will stop using the DS comparisons now.

can somebody recap the operating losses vs net income thing again?

if i remember, "operating" profit loss could be termed "normal operations", while Net income has all the crazy loans and interest and depreciation what have you included? So operating is somewhat the "truer picture"?

Operating income/loss is the amount of money a company makes at baseline before any special items are taken into account (FX gains/losses, taxes, restructuring charges, goodwill charges etc...). It gives a decent picture to investors over a company's profitability.

Nintendo's net profit basically comes from FX gains and a tax credit. That is not something that can be repeated next year so it cannot go into the operating income column in the cashflow so Nintendo made an operating loss for the year.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
3DS has a lot coming this year so I understand being bullish there, but what in the world would make their Wii U software sales so high?

It isn't high.
Look at that huge drop off from quarter to quarter. It's completely stalled.
Attach ratio is always good at launch.

EDIT: Ah, you're talking about the forecast!

Linkhero1

Some interesting things:

"In addition we are planning to more actively support the Japanese software developers in distributing their key titles overseas"

About the Wii U:

"We plan to concentrate to concentrate on proactively releasing key Nintento titles from the second half of this year through next year in order to regain momentum for the platform"

I guess all start with Pikmin 3 in August and then Mario 3D U, Mario Kart U, Bayonetta 2, The Wonderful 101, TLOZ Wind Waker HD and other things they'll announce in the E3...
Not all that surprising to be honest. It would be nice to get release dates for already announced games.

Well, given the games that have now been shifted in to this financial year - Pikmin, Wii Fit U etc. - plus the games that they have said will be coming for this holiday - 3D Mario, Mario Kart - they seem to be in a position to hit with a series of pretty big titles in a key buying season. Doesn't make it certain, but they've got a good lineup to hit those targets if they can get some momentum behind the console going forward.

"We plan to concentrate to concentrate on proactively releasing key Nintento titles from the second half of this year through next year in order to regain momentum for the platform"

I guess all start with Pikmin 3 in August and then Mario 3D U, Mario Kart U, Bayonetta 2, The Wonderful 101, TLOZ Wind Waker HD and other things they'll announce in the E3...

That's been pretty clear for a while. They've obviously decided that they were better off delaying titles to load the back of the year running into the holiday season, rather than releasing games like Pikmin 3 or Wii Fit U earlier. They clearly think a painful early drought is better than the alternative. I'm not sure they're right, but it'll be interesting to see what happens.

Sandfox

It just means that they are releasing a lot of software that they think will be must buy for Wii U owners. If they do manage to sell close to 9m units it could very happen if they achieve a tie ratio of about 4 games including Nintendo Land.

IMO the 3DS software numbers are even more crazy but Pokemon could jump start something for all I know.

The real story here imo are the poor 3DS numbers. Hardware decreased for the third year straight in the quarter. It missed it's revised target by a million. Software sales are horrible as it moved only 50m units for the year, the DS was doing 2.5x that at this point. The DS accelerated to godtier sales, there is not even an inkling that the 3DS can come close to that. The gap will even get wider, so I guess Nintendo will stop using the DS comparisons now.

The 3DS hasn't even been out 3 years and this year's software should change things. If things don't change this year than it would be time to worry.

NFreak

So Wii U sold 226,960 units up until March 31st according to Media Create. That means in Europe and the US combined, the system has sold only 163,040 units or so from January through March. That's absolutely awful.

EDIT: Thought numbers were sold not shipped. Ignore this post.

I don't see how they reconcile, the two bolded. Price needs to drop if they're to get anywhere near that number. Unless they're expecting the 3DS to essentially cover that.

It's essentially 8,5 milions in 3 quarters since April-June will sell at march rate more or less

So Wii U sold 226,960 units up until March 31st according to Media Create. That means in Europe and the US combined, the system has sold only 163,040 units or so from January through March. That's absolutely awful.

That's not how it works.

They shipped 3milions in November and December - of those close to 1 milion remained on shelves - now they shipped additional 390k.
So it's unknown how much they sold in USA/EU.

Striek

At 4:1 shipped that a very, very soft software target tbh. For retrospective the GC did 5.7M hardware/46M software in the equivalent period. They have the Wii U doing 9M hardware/38M software. That would be a great hardware rebound from where they are now but a terrible software one.

Van Owen

Banned
Some interesting things:

"In addition we are planning to more actively support the Japanese software developers in distributing their key titles overseas"

About the Wii U:

How many times are people going to fall for this key title momentum bullshit? They said the same thing when Wii U launched.

NFreak

That's not how it works.

They shipped 3milions in November and December - of those close to 1 milion remained on shelves - now they shipped additional 390k.
So it's unknown how much they sold in USA/EU.

Ah those are shipped numbers for the quarters? My bad. Thanks for the correction.

It just means that they are releasing a lot of software that they think will be must buy for Wii U owners. If they do manage to sell close to 9m units it could very happen if they achieve a tie ratio of about 4 games including Nintendo Land.

IMO the 3DS software numbers are even more crazy but Pokemon could jump start something for all I know.

I think so, DS and 3DS are getting a Pokemon game about the same point in their life (it launched in Japan a little under 2 years, so we can say that has given a significant boost in Japan same point in it's life) so the 3DS to DS comparisons could continue and be quite similar once the Pokemon Tsunami hits, will be interesting to see.

Aren't MC numbers the units sold to consumers while these are sold to retailer numbers (aka shipped numbers)? Just means they didn't ship many units last quarter because the retailers still had stock, right?

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
That 3DS hardware number is pretty strange. They certainly sold that amount just in Japan for Q1. Probably quite a big amount of units in the shelves after Holidays. They reached the revised software forescast, though.
Wii U...ooh boy.

New forecasts sounds not so out of mind, fortunately.

SmokyDave

Seems like the 3DS ain't doing so hot. I guess it's lucky to have a system in a far worse position to be compared against.

Poor Wii-U. What can you say about it really?

FY2013/14 fct:

Wii U - 9m hardware, 38m software
3DS - 18m hardware, 80m software
Wii - 2m hardware, 20m software
NDS - 0 hardware, 10m software

Revenue - 920bn yen (+44%)
Operating profit - 100bn yen
Net income - 55bn yen (+674%)

Seems rather optimistic to me.

How the hell are the going to manage a YoY increase for 3DS from 14m to 18m?!?
Pokemon.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
It just blows my mind that the way things are going Nintendo are banking on software that isn't shipping until September. They've completely blown this first year and as a consumer it is tiring hearing about constant HD development troubles.

o8cFP9T.png

First FYE. In millions.

GCN had a few extra months, iirc. EDIT: But only in two regions?

PS3 had a couple extra weeks in NA and Japan, but was only released in PAL-land for a week, iirc. It was also $599.
It's essentially 8,5 milions in 3 quarters since April-June will sell at march rate more or less
April-June they'll probably still be selling through these shipments - e.g. they still haven't reached 920K sell through in Japan afaik. Particularly in the EU, although tomorrow will be revealing. It may as well be a 9M forecast for July->Mar.

Kard8p3

Fiscal Year 2013 software sales:

3DS (old titles)

Mario Kart 7 - 2,840,000 / 8,080,000
Super Mario 3D Land - 2,450,000 / 8,290,000
nintendogs+cats - 580,000 / 3,280,000
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D - 340,000 / 2,950,000
Pokémon Rumble Blast - 210,000 / 1,290,000

Wii

Wii Sports - 2,390,000 / 81,990,000
Mario Kart Wii - 1,820,000 / 34,260,000
Wii sports Resorts - 1,750,000 / 31,890,000
Super Mario Galaxy - 1,040,000 / 11,720,000
New Super Mario Bros. Wii - 1,020,000 / 27,880,000
Super Smash Bros Brawl - 690,000 / 11,490,000
Wii Fit Plus - 380,000 / 20,860,000

Glad to see Mario Galaxy is still selling well but I wish Galaxy 2 was there too.

That 3DS hardware number is pretty strange. They certainly sold that amount just in Japan for Q1. Probably quite a big amount of units in the shelves after Holidays. They reached the revised software forescast, though.
Wii U...ooh boy.

New forecasts sounds not so out of mind, fortunately.

18m 3DS and 9m Wii U is "out of mind" considering the 100bn operating profit target. They can't all be right, production costs do not drop that fast to allow for price cuts and increased operating profit margins from -5.7% to 10.9%.

These targets exist to placate investors as does the increased dividend (100 yen per share to 260 yen per share forecast) because the results are so poor.

Is the 9m WiiU prediction for FY 2013-2014 LTD or on top of the 3.45m already shipped? That would have to be one hell of a Holiday to meet that kind of number.

Can't see them meeting either, just feels like more pie in the sky figures. Will they just try and pull the wool over investors eyes and readjust them after a stagnant Summer?

nikatapi

I'm glad to see that SM3DL has so good sales. Maybe this will tempt Nintendo to release a sequel.

WiiU forecasts are optimistic without a price drop, they probably believe they will have strong holiday sales with MK and 3D Mario-Windwaker HD.
Probably bundles incoming with those titles, and i'll be very tempted to get one.

Hero

Fiscal Year 2013 software sales:

3DS (old titles)

Mario Kart 7 - 2,840,000 / 8,080,000
Super Mario 3D Land - 2,450,000 / 8,290,000
nintendogs+cats - 580,000 / 3,280,000
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D - 340,000 / 2,950,000
Pokémon Rumble Blast - 210,000 / 1,290,000

Wii

Wii Sports - 2,390,000 / 81,990,000
Mario Kart Wii - 1,820,000 / 34,260,000
Wii sports Resorts - 1,750,000 / 31,890,000
Super Mario Galaxy - 1,040,000 / 11,720,000
New Super Mario Bros. Wii - 1,020,000 / 27,880,000
Super Smash Bros Brawl - 690,000 / 11,490,000
Wii Fit Plus - 380,000 / 20,860,000

Look at that Wii software go. Almost 2.5 million copies of Wii Sports in the last fiscal year? Almost 2 million Mario Kart? 1 million more for SMG and NSMB Wii, 700K for SSBB.

Darryl

Banned
3ds still doing great. way beyond my expectations after the rocky launch. i think they set their projections on the low end? i'd be surprised if they don't exceed that number.

Majmun

I wonder how many Wii U units Nintendo has actually sold

If we count the JAP and US ltd's, we're at around 2mln. It's such a shame that we're never getting PAL numbers...

The 9mln forecast will never be possible at this rate. Unless Nintendo has something big coming up.

AniHawk

the ds had a damn good run. if the system had been kept around at a super budget price ($50-$80), it would have outsold the ps2 over the next year or two.

on the other side of the spectrum is the wii u. good lord. historically, it's about where the xbox, xbox 360, gamecube, and ps3 were at this point in time, but the xbox 360 was stupidly supply-constrained and only appealed to two markets, and the ps3 had a huge price problem. software came for both.

but given its current trajectory being lower than gamecube, 9m is a damn lofty projection. i can only assume they are going to try and bring 2-3 mega franchises over the next fiscal year. that, or they have something super special up their sleeve, like a 3d pokemon mmo.

for the 3ds, it looks like things are kinda shaky, but slowly picking up. at the very least, nintendo software is starting to move at higher rates. fire emblem will probably become the first million-seller in the series. fire emblem 7 and 8 might be million-sellers too, but it's hard to tell without european numbers.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
9m Wii U seems like a very bold (read:insane) prediction unless they manage to get a ton of (big) titles out starting this Fall.

Effectively, they need a lot of software to make that prediction happen, you're right.

I wonder how many Wii U units Nintendo has actually sold

If we count the JAP and US ltd's, we're at around 2mln. It's such a shame that we never getting PAL numbers...

The 9mln forecast will never be possible at this rate. Unless Nintendo has something big coming up.
We have an figure of 430K for Europe up 'til the end of 2012, which we can update tomorrow.

Effectively, they need a lot of software to make that prediction happen, you're right.

No, they need a price cut also. 9m Wii U is not achievable with the current pricing levels in NA and EU. $/€249 and £199 would see them to 9m if they brought out the big guns at the same time, but then that would blow away the 100bn yen operating profit target.

Sandfox

"Oddly, Satoru Iwata, global president of Nintendo, will assume the CEO title of Nintendo of America. That will help unify the company’s global strategy, and allow for streamlined decision-making, the company said. Reggie Fils-Aime will continue in his role as president and COO of Nintendo of America, reporting to Iwata. "

http://venturebeat.com/2013/04/24/n...-year-profit-but-wii-u-sales-slow-to-a-crawl/

lol

That's actually good news IMO. NOJ is handled a lot better than NOA and unifying them might improve a lot of the problems NOA has and even if it doesn't Iwata wouldn't be in the position long regardless.

I've learned not to believe what companies say. Remember "launch window"?

I wouldn't expect them to "lie" in the report and the launch window thing was just weird due to the delays. They are probably saving those games for this push they are talking about.

B.O.O.M

That's actually good news IMO. NOJ is handled a lot better than NOA and unifying them might improve a lot of the problems NOA has and even if it doesn't Iwata wouldn't be in the position long regardless.

I wouldn't expect them to "lie" in the report and the launch window thing was just weird due to the delays. They are probably saving those games for this push they are talking about.

I think it could go either way really

Polari

Good lord those Wii U shipments for the last quarter are absolutely catastrophic. The system will be lucky to make it past Christmas at this rate.

Happy Kid Icarus broke a million. Is Nintendo not allowed to report on Million selling 3rd party games?

PS. This isn't financially sound but I wish Nintendo opened up their own stores like Apple. Imagine the pure awesomeness :(

Top Bottom