• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo FY13: $70M Net Income; WiiU 3.45M, NDS retires, 3DS/WiiU miss expectations

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Yikes Wii U. It's going to be interesting this year.

3DS is okay I guess. It will pick up the slack this year with all these releases. Cool about Super Mario 3D Land selling more than eight million copies. Well deserved. Ocarina of Time almost at three million is pretty nice.

3DS result for Q1 has been havily influenced by shipments for last quarter. I.e. they shipped too much in Q4. Heck, the platform sold to customers more than that just counting Japan and US.

So, Nintendo needs to sell about 460,000 Wii U systems per month to reach 9million by next year, but yet they only sold 390,000 in the last 3 months? Am I reading that correctly?

Miles X

WiiU won't get 9m, they haven't been able to forecast correct console sales for years.

WiiU + Wii was supposed to = 11m this FY! They were off more than 3m

Wii won't be 2m either for that matter, 1.5m tops.

Shiggy

Lol New Leaf is the least rehashiest Animal Crossing they've ever made.

Some call it Animal Forest 64-4 already ;) I just find it funny when people blame Activision for their yearly rehashes and then keep mentioning Nintendo for their innovativeness, which is clearly missing at the moment. Quite obviously, that's related to their business performance as those titles keep costs down (everything's already in place from art style to some assets to game play mechanics) and they sell well as they have some brand recognition.

3DS result for Q1 has been havily influenced by shipments for last quarter. I.e. they shipped too much in Q4. Heck, the platform sold to customers more than that just counting Japan and US.

It's basically a ripple effect of the horrible Q4 performance for the 3DS. The software lineup outside Japan was just not great enough to move the hardware shipments.

Will be interesting to see what's announced that could possibly move 9m WiiUs.

Their software is selling consistently brilliantly. They have so many games scheduled to release this year - if they don't make a profit next financial year, it means Nintendo's business model is not working, or Wii U is a level A disaster for the company.

ChaosXVI

I just don't see them achieving this goal at all...I do expect Wii U sales will likely start improving after E3, but not nearly to the degree Nintendo needs them to, or rather Iwata needs them to, if he is to keep his job. If he had until the end of 2014 to turn it around, then I might be more optimistic.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Is it known for sure if any of them have cracked a million?

I dunno, I can see why Nintendo would concentrate on their own stuff, but then I can see why they'd benefit from mentioning 3rd party successes too.

I'm pretty sure Dragon Quest VII and Monster Hunter 3 cracked a million (solely because of Japan). I'm not sure about KH3D... It didn't do so hot in Japan.

JAYSIMPLE

Banned
Wait a minute. This doesnt look too bad. Man this forum has been full of people seriously hating on nintendo, then they come out with facts, and it's not that bad. Sure it's not amazing, but it's far from terrible

Just doing some more sums, they predict a revenue increase of 44% to ¥920bn this pretty much rules out any price action on 3DS but leaves the possibility of a smallish price cut on Wii U. My guess is that Nintendo intend to couple their Q4 software releases with a $50 price cut on the deluxe unit and hope that it jumpstarts Wii U sales to try and reach that 9m forecast.

Wait a minute. This doesnt look too bad. Man this forum has been full of people seriously hating on nintendo, then they come out with facts, and it's not that bad. Sure it's not amazing, but it's far from terrible

$360m operating loss. It's bad. Saved by currency gains, that's not going to happen every year.

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her

So having to cut the Wii U forecast from 5.5million to 4 million, then failing to even hit that by over half a million is "not terrible"?

No, it really is pretty terrible.

QaaQer

??

the bloomberg estimates were better than these ones.

GetemMa

how is it possible for them to report a net profit of 71 million dollars but such a massive operating loss?

What else does Nintendo do that would make up for such a big operating loss on HW and software?

EDIT: nevermind. I forgot about the currency issue. This is a big let off for Nintendo really. Their mainline business is failing but they don't have to dip into the war chest yet.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Just doing some more sums, they predict a revenue increase of 44% to ¥920bn this pretty much rules out any price action on 3DS but leaves the possibility of a smallish price cut on Wii U. My guess is that Nintendo intend to couple their Q4 software releases with a $50 price cut on the deluxe unit and hope that it jumpstarts Wii U sales to try and reach that 9m forecast.

Wouldn't it be much easier to do a small 3DS price cut seeing the current exchange situation (if it continues to be like now)? Genuine question.

Bruno MB

Kingdom Hearts 3D shipped 650,000 units in Europe + America as of September 30, 2012.

In Japan has sold 341,958 units to consumers. So global shipments are around the million mark.

how is it possible for them to report a net profit of 71 million dollars but such a massive operating loss?

What else does Nintendo do that would make up for such a big operating loss on HW and software?
It's not what Nintendo's done, it's what Shinzo Abe's done.

z0m3le

Banned

$360m operating loss. It's bad. Saved by currency gains, that's not going to happen every year.

Operating losses in years where consoles don't launch are usually a lot smaller, so your point about the net income not coming every year is factual but doesn't touch on the fact that losses also will not be anywhere near as bad this year.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
what is this about Iwata becoming CEO of NoA?

besides acknowledging they have a problem in that region, what does it effectively mean?

edit: perhaps it means Iwata will be more involved in attempts to secure third party content in the west, as well as communicate directly with large retailers?

guit3457

EDIT: nevermind. I forgot about the currency issue. This is a big let off for Nintendo really. Their mainline business is failing but they don't have to dip into the war chest yet.

Their war chest is even bigger now XD

Wouldn't it be much easier to do a small 3DS price cut seeing the current exchange situation (if it continues to be like now)? Genuine question.

I'm basing it on ¥90 to the dollar and ¥120 to the Euro which is what they have used, but yes in September if it looks like there is not going to be any significant strengthening of the yen from current levels (100/130) then it does give Nintendo room to cut 3DS pricing without eating into profitability.

Operating losses in years where consoles don't launch are usually a lot smaller, so your point about the net income not coming every year is factual but doesn't touch on the fact that losses also will not be anywhere near as bad this year.

Wii U is still selling for below cost, and it is going nowhere fast. The only way to meet the 9m projection is to cut prices which will increase the negative margin, or at least piss away any cost saving they make. The Wii U is stuck in a vicious cycle right now of not selling enough software to make up negative hardware margins, but not having sold enough hardware to get software moving. The only way to break the cycle is to aggressively price hardware at a level where the ecosystem becomes self-sustaining long term even with negative hardware margins. Sony achieved this in 2009 when the PS3Slim came out for $299 (below cost) but software sales boost was so huge the division posted a profit overall.

z0m3le

Banned
what is this about Iwata becoming CEO of NoA?

besides acknowledging they have a problem in that region, what does it effectively mean?

It means a more coherent message and a more streamlined approach, NoA's CEO obviously won't be tied down by Iwata anymore, so hopefully for us it means better western 1st and 2nd party development and better colors for 3DS XL.

JAYSIMPLE

Banned
Just for comparisons sake, so I know if it's terrible or not. DO we have any operating losses for the other 2? in launch years or anything? where can I see sony's/MS figures etc??

I guess it is terrible :/

So, with regards to 'more titles for the rest of the year' for Wii U, for Japan at least:

April: Pokemon Rumble U (eshop)
May: Zzz
June: NSMBU DLC (New Super Luigi)
July: Pikmin

They also have:
Wii Party U ("Summer")
Wii Fit U
LozWWHD ("Fall")
TW101 (Spring~Summer, unless it's further pushed back)
Rayman Legends (Unless deal fell through)
Lego City Undercover

which means they're probably going for 1~2 releases per month in the second half of this year.

nekomix

So they hugely missed nearly every forecast they did... It served them right ! Now, he really needs to do everything he can to win his gamble on the 100 billion yen operating profit.

ChaosXVI

I am definitely curious how Iwata's role as CEO as NoA will change how NoA behaves. Like many of you are saying, I hope this means that more Japanese games will see NA shores, without it taking an extra year or two to do so.

Also...maybe help foster relationships with Western 3rd parties?
never going to fucking happen...:(

If they intend for the Wii U to sell 9M units then they're presumably going to incur losses again; it's already selling below cost apparently and it will require a significant price cut to alter its course.

Foetoid

Neo Member
So i'm reading from the comments that their net operating loss was double what Bloomberg predicted, but other articles are saying they made a full year profit of $70Mil. So does that mean despite operating losses they made a profit overall on the whole fiscal year and not the predicted loss?

MasLegio

Banned
Not counting Virtual Boy, will the Wii U be their biggest bomb regarding stationary consoles?

Cant see the numbers picking up later in the year when they will have to compete with PS4, Durango/720 as well as new iPads and iPhones.

Spiegel

The real story here imo are the poor 3DS numbers. Hardware decreased for the third year straight in the quarter. It missed it's revised target by a million. Software sales are horrible as it moved only 50m units for the year, the DS was doing 2.5x that at this point. The DS accelerated to godtier sales, there is not even an inkling that the 3DS can come close to that. The gap will even get wider, so I guess Nintendo will stop using the DS comparisons now.

Yeah. 3DS is actually selling less software units than the PSP.

PSP
FY 2006 - 54.7M

But FY 2014 should be a much better year and they shouldn't have any problem hitting the target.

So i'm reading from the comments that their net operating loss was double what Bloomberg predicted, but other articles are saying they made a full year profit of $70Mil. So does that mean despite operating losses they made a profit overall on the whole fiscal year and not the predicted loss?

Currency translation gains on weaker yen. It is not included in operating income because it is not repeatable.

Does Nintendo have a feature exclusive better looking GTA5 coming along with their wares this fall?

How do they get 9 million units this coming fiscal year?

goomba

Banned
Not counting Virtual Boy, will the Wii U be their biggest bomb regarding stationary consoles?

Cant see the numbers picking up later in the year when they will have to compete with PS4, Durango/720 as well as new iPads and iPhones.

Which games are supposed to push ps4/durango?. I keep hearing people expecting them to thrive and dominate the wii u as soon as they are released yet we don't even know the price nor the launch lineups. Yet we know major WiiU titles are coming this year

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Wii U slow as predictable, 3DS is going well. They were able to make "some" money even with the struggles they faced during the FY, I'm confident about their future in terms of economical sustain.

z0m3le

Banned
If they intend for the Wii U to sell 9M units then they're presumably going to incur losses again; it's already selling below cost apparently and it will require a significant price cut to alter its course.

That is one angle, of course if you mention the angle of 100b yen profit, a price cut would be the complete opposite direction for them. Honestly I think dropping the deluxe Sku and just adding 32GB to basic + DD of nintendoland is the way forward for Wii U, it looks like a price drop, but more or less it is just a very slight upgrade to the basic model. They could of course still sell a Wii U bundle for the deluxe price, something like Zombi U's bundle, but probably MarioKart U.

9 million is a lofty goal, but focusing on profit will make investors happy, so cutting Wii U's price beyond what I am mentioning would be a bad move for the system IMO.

Bruno MB

Wii U will likely be the least profitable Nintendo system after Virtual Boy, so yes.

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/sales/software/3ds.html

Nice to get some numbers. Kid Icarus over a million.

Kid Icarus has been over a million for quite a while. Since January, IIRC. This is great news, and one would expect it to have more as more people buy a 3DS. More than that, I hope it will encourage them to use this IP more, perhaps make a Wii U game. Ocarina Of Time 3D doing as well as it has can be an encouraging sign for Wii U Wind Waker. We shall see.

Wii U slow as predictable, 3DS is going well. They were able to make "some" money even with the struggles they faced during the FY, I'm confident about their future in terms of economical sustain.

Because of a one off gain. The normal business operations lost them $360m this year.

I expect we're going to have to go through this same dance in a couple of weeks when Sony release their FY data too. Though they won't have an operating loss.

That is one angle, of course if you mention the angle of 100b yen profit, a price cut would be the complete opposite direction for them. Honestly I think dropping the deluxe Sku and just adding 32GB to basic + DD of nintendoland is the way forward for Wii U, it looks like a price drop, but more or less it is just a very slight upgrade to the basic model. They could of course still sell a Wii U bundle for the deluxe price, something like Zombi U's bundle, but probably MarioKart U.

9 million is a lofty goal, but focusing on profit will make investors happy, so cutting Wii U's price beyond what I am mentioning would be a bad move for the system IMO.

Focussing on long term profitability will please investors. If Iwata came out and said tomorrow that "we're going to cut deeper into the Wii U's margins to force adoption this year to ensure that the installed base is high enough for strong software sales going forwards" it would bring a lot of investor cheer. Right now Nintendo's money is doing nothing and their business is sinking.

Also, your plan makes no sense, it's better to get rid of the Basic SKU and cut the price of the Deluxe to $299 as psychologically people react better to price cuts than added value.

Without aggressive price action the 9m target is not achievable. Unless they score FIFA14 and COD as exclusives there just isn't a route to 9m without a significantly lower entry cost.

Double the predicted operating loss - that's really, really bad - the net income is illusory - it might mean they book accounting gains - but for all intents and purposes, that money is going to stay in US dollars and so it will just be a mark-to-market of their cash assets

The only thing I imagine is if investors trust Nintendo has written off EVERYTHING this time around that needs to be written off and spent the bulk of cash needed to secure software and paid up front for hardware parts for volume discounts - and they know Iwata is going to the US to personally oversee operations there - and despite the big miss they are confident about the operating profit plan - then I can see some stock gains happening (probably why the stock closed up in Japan)...

Still, as optimistic as I am, doubling your expected operating loss without warning, and then backing up your future operating plan on historically unreliable internal projections - makes me extremely nervous

If they went single SKU of the Deluxe only and dropped the price by $100, then you might have a potentially compelling value proposition against a $200 Kinect Family Fun bundle and $149 PS3 Ugly 32GB.

Your stated plan doesn't create a particularly appealing product offering, and if Nintendo is only willing to go half-measures like that then they're willing to let the Wii U languish.
Does Nintendo have a feature exclusive better looking GTA5 coming along with their wares this fall?

How do they get 9 million units this coming fiscal year?
Apparently this guy:
MarioSMBW.png
and this guy:
pikachu.gif

Oh, I thought you were talking about profit for a moment. Then it's just the first guy.

QaaQer

Double the predicted operating loss - that's really, really bad - the net income is illusory - it might mean they book accounting gains - but for all intents and purposes, that money is going to stay in US dollars and so it will just be a mark-to-market of their cash assets

The only thing I imagine is if investors trust Nintendo has written off EVERYTHING this time around that needs to be written off and spent the bulk of cash needed to secure software and paid up front for hardware parts for volume discounts - and they know Iwata is going to the US to personally oversee operations there - and despite the big miss they are confident about the operating profit plan - then I can see some stock gains happening (probably why the stock closed up in Japan)...

Still, as optimistic as I am, doubling your expected operating loss without warning, and then backing up your future operating plan on historically unreliable internal projections - makes me extremely nervous

bolded ain't happening.

z0m3le

Banned
If they went single SKU of the Deluxe only and dropped the price by $100, then you might have a potentially compelling value proposition against a $200 Kinect Family Fun bundle and $149 PS3 Ugly 32GB.

Your stated plan doesn't create a particularly appealing product offering, and if Nintendo is only willing to go half-measures like that then they're willing to let the Wii U languish.

I figure they won't sell 9 million Wii Us, your plan is suppose to be a way for them to? but it costs Nintendo a whole lot more to compete @ $250 with their deluxe sku, obviously their profit would suffer a lot more this way. Going with the Wii U basic and slightly upgrading it @ the cost of 32GB flash vs the current 8GB flash (and a DD voucher for nintendoland which isn't going to cost Nintendo anything) puts the Wii U at 1 sku with both black and white models, it might only sell 6 or 7 million this year but it would actually not hurt Nintendo as badly as the plan you are coming up with, even if they sell another million or so with your idea, I still think it is a bad one.

Some call it Animal Forest 64-4 already ;) I just find it funny when people blame Activision for their yearly rehashes and then keep mentioning Nintendo for their innovativeness, which is clearly missing at the moment. Quite obviously, that's related to their business performance as those titles keep costs down (everything's already in place from art style to some assets to game play mechanics) and they sell well as they have some brand recognition.

You're making the mistake that every Mario title is the same. For every lazy NSMB rehash, we get a 3D Land or a Galaxy. There's no way Wii U Mario will be the same game either.

Better looking as in graphically? No.
Better looking as in financially? No.

Apparently this guy:
MarioSMBW.png
and this guy:
pikachu.gif

Oh, I thought you were talking about profit for a moment. Then it's just the first guy.
I'm just trying to figure out how they expect to sell 9 million WiiU's this fiscal year.

I mean Smash Bros, Kart, and 3D Mario can be big draws... but they are looking at selling only 1-1.5 million worldwide by August. And that's being optimistic.

Smash, Kart, Zelda, and a feature exclusive GTA5 that looks better than the PS3/360 versions is the only way I can see them selling 8 million units from September to March.

I wonder how many times it will need to be adjusted down in the coming year?

Top Bottom