• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo FY13: $70M Net Income; WiiU 3.45M, NDS retires, 3DS/WiiU miss expectations

gngf123

The system will be lucky to make it past Christmas at this rate.

Lets not get too ahead of ourselves now. There is plenty of room to grow, and we know there are games coming.

I just don't know if those games will be enough to make it a success.

Polari

Lets not get too ahead of ourselves now. There is plenty of room to grow, and we know there are games coming.

I just don't know if those games will be enough to make it a success.

Maybe, but there's no precedent for a system cratering this badly. Shipping 0.39m worldwide for its second quarter makes the Gamecube look like a runaway hit.

Vashetti

Banned
Why kill off the NDS?

From what I can see it was still selling roughly 2 million a year. Seems silly to kill off a guaranteed money maker. Plus it must have cost them nothing to make nowadays.

Maybe, but there's no precedent for a system cratering this badly. Shipping 0.39m worldwide for its second quarter makes the Gamecube look like a runaway hit.

Even PS3 did 0.7m in it's worst quarter on record, and that was at $599...

Why kill off the NDS?

From what I can see it was still selling roughly 2 million a year. Seems silly to kill off a guaranteed money maker. Plus it must have cost them nothing to make nowadays.

Eats into 3DS sales. They need to get more people buying 3DS rather than DS.

thefro

They actually made a profit overall for the year ($70 million) due to exchange rate gains, from what I'm reading. So this was actually a good number in that regards.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Eats into 3DS sales. They need to get more people buying 3DS rather than DS.

Yes, stopping DS production is the best thing to do in order to allow 3DS to bloom in the West this year, thanks also to all the software coming.

The stock went up IIRC.

No, the results were released after market close and Tokyo/Osaka don't have after hours trading. We can't accurately gauge investor reaction until 9.30 EST when Wall Street opens. The 5% increase overnight was on expectations of better results than forecast because Japanese companies have tended to outperform forecasts on the back of weaker yen.

AzaK

Some interesting things:

"In addition we are planning to more actively support the Japanese software developers in distributing their key titles overseas"

About the Wii U:

"We plan to concentrate to concentrate on proactively releasing key Nintento titles from the second half of this year through next year in order to regain momentum for the platform"

I guess all start with Pikmin 3 in August and then Mario 3D U, Mario Kart U, Bayonetta 2, The Wonderful 101, TLOZ Wind Waker HD and other things they'll announce in the E3...

Sad they don't say they plan to ensure solid third party support. They still act like it should be all about them. They just can't make enough titles themselves for a constant flow.

SmokyDave

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate
Dragon Quest VII
Kingdom Hearts 3D
Is it known for sure if any of them have cracked a million?

I dunno, I can see why Nintendo would concentrate on their own stuff, but then I can see why they'd benefit from mentioning 3rd party successes too.

"Cracker" means like... it's really good, superb even. All the more poignant by the fact that Dave is being positive about something!
Indeed! M3DLand is one of the best handheld games I've played in years.

I need to update my old-man slang.

thefro

No, the results were released after market close and Tokyo/Osaka don't have after hours trading. We can't accurately gauge investor reaction until 9.30 EST when Wall Street opens. The 5% increase overnight was on expectations of better results than forecast because Japanese companies have tended to outperform forecasts on the back of weaker yen.

They did outperform... instead of losing $200 million as Bloomberg said they made $70 million for the year due to exchange rate gains.

Granted, the operating loss is a bad number and isn't sustainable, but they technically made money for the year (hence all the asset numbers going up).

NFreak

What 3rd party titles are likely to have shifted a million copies?

The only one I think we know of is Super Street Fighter IV. If there are any others I would assume Resident Evil Revelations might have but there are no confirmed sales reports.

They did outperform... instead of losing $200 million as Bloomberg said they made $70 million for the year due to exchange rate gains.

Granted, the operating loss is a bad number and isn't sustainable, but they technically made money for the year (hence all the asset numbers going up).

No they didn't. The analyst forecast was for an ¥18bn operating loss, they posted a ¥36bn operating loss.

They also underperformed their own internal forecast of ¥20bn operating loss.

deleted

That is some reassuring forecast for the Wii U this year.
9m will only be possible if they kickstart the sales with software long before black friday. And since Iwata's job is one the line, I'm sure he doesn't want to overshoot the goals.

How much did the Gamecube and Wii sell in their first year?

serplux

That's actually good news IMO. NOJ is handled a lot better than NOA and unifying them might improve a lot of the problems NOA has and even if it doesn't Iwata wouldn't be in the position long regardless.

So can we finally update NoA's website? It's fairly horrible.

AniHawk

That are some reassuring forecast for the Wii U this year.
9m will only be possible if they kickstart the sales with software long before black firday. And since Iwata's job is one the line, I'm sure he doesn't want to overshoot the goals.

How much did the Gamecube and Wii sell in their first year?

gamecube
through march 2002: 3.8m
through september 2002: 6.88m (first 13 months)
through march 2003: 9.55m

so nintendo would be looking to sell about 3m more than the wii u in roughly the same timespan (the gamecube was only out in japan and america in march 2002, and it had been released in japan two months before it came out in america).

wii
through march 2007: 5.84m
through december 2007: 20.14m (first 14 months)
through march 2008: 24.45m

the wii u would hit about half of what the wii got in that same amount of time. the wii actually outsold the gamecube in the span of six financial quarters.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Whatever, you're right about Luigi's Mansion 2 sales: they're amazing indeed. :D

serplux

Whatever, you're right about Luigi's Mansion 2 sales: they're amazing indeed. :D

Yup!

Let's see...we're adding:

Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D
Mario and Luigi: Dream Team
Mario Party 3DS
The Legend of Zelda 3DS
Pokemon X and Y

...to the million seller party this year at least. Mario Golf/Fire Emblem might also have a shot, and Yoshi's Island 3DS will break a million if it gets released.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
At 4:1 shipped that a very, very soft software target tbh. For retrospective the GC did 5.7M hardware/46M software in the equivalent period. They have the Wii U doing 9M hardware/38M software. That would be a great hardware rebound from where they are now but a terrible software one.

I guess I'm just looking too much at the games we know about. GC had a lot of games that I doubt we'll see on Wii U will before the end of March 2014.

Oh and just to show the direction of travel the YoY quarterly comparison:

Q42013 - ¥31bn operating loss
Q42012 - ¥21bn operating loss

A worse YoY performance on a quarterly basis. I really don't see how Nintendo go from ¥31bn lost in a quarter to ¥100bn operating profit for the year.

Sadist

Yikes Wii U. It's going to be interesting this year.

3DS is okay I guess. It will pick up the slack this year with all these releases. Cool about Super Mario 3D Land selling more than eight million copies. Well deserved. Ocarina of Time almost at three million is pretty nice.

deleted

gamecube
through march 2002: 3.8m
through september 2002: 6.88m (first 13 months)
through march 2003: 9.55m

so nintendo would be looking to sell about 3m more than the wii u in roughly the same timespan (the gamecube was only out in japan and america in march 2002, and it had been released in japan two months before it came out in america).

wii
through march 2007: 5.84m
through december 2007: 20.14m (first 14 months)
through march 2008: 24.45m

the wii u would hit about half of what the wii got in that same amount of time. the wii actually outsold the gamecube in the span of six financial quarters.

That actually sounds ok to me considering the situation.
January - at least June will see next to no sales and after that sales depend only their turnaround with Mario Kart, 3D Mario and unannounced software releasing before christmas.

Top Bottom