• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo is removing games from my Wii U & 3DS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phil S.

Banned
Team Top Hat, definitely try to get this situated with Nintendo. Maybe you can even be the catalyst for them to change their policy or something if you push hard enough!

It seems like what you were doing was excessive but they should have sent a warning or something.

And certainly shouldn't remove games that you already had on the console.

I mean if its against their ToS there's nothing you can do.

Yea it sucks but you can't really hold it against them Just because nobody ever reads the ToS is not their fault.

Wow, what a moronic ToS. Someone should politely inform Mr. Iwata that being so openly hostile to your paying customers isn't going to help return the company to a profit.
I think it sucks that this happened to the OP, but for the third time this is NOT atypical. It's why there is a cap on the bonus points you can earn on your credit card. It's why your movie theater card only lets you collect $30 of points per day. This isn't abnormal in the slightest.

Now is it awesome? Not really. If people have the money to blow and you're giving out rewards based on money, I'm not sure what the problem is with it being uncapped. But this is how many companies do it.

Springy

OP: When Nintendo removes games from your systems, do you get an animation of Pikmin carrying them away and flipping you the bird?

At the very least we should probably write nintendo and let them know about the loophole so it can be closed and this doesn't happen to anyone else that doesnt think theyre breaking the rules.

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
I think it sucks that this happened to the OP, but for the third time this is NOT atypical. It's why there is a cap on the bonus points you can earn on your credit card. It's why your movie theater card only lets you collect $30 of points per day. This isn't abnormal in the slightest.

Now is it awesome? Not really? If people have the money to blow and you're giving out rewards based on money, I'm not sure what the problem is with it being uncapped. But this is how many companies do it.

But they aren't capping you. They are letting you do stuff that they should have locked down in their account system, then cracking down later. This is not a customer friendly way to do things.

Being the devil's advocate here for a second, the coins are technically a reward for the feedback you give them in their surveys, rather than for purchasing the game. Registering multiple copies of the same game results in you submitting multiple feedback reports for the same game. You create useless, junk data that compromises the feedback system. I don't like it, but on some level, I get it.

I used to do market research interviews during college. A colleague was caught putting the same survey answers into the computer system twice. She got fired, the company lost a couple of contracts for being incompetent and about 13 different surveys had to be junked (meaning about 4,500 people's time doing the survey was wasted).

OP: When Nintendo removes games from your systems, do you get an animation of Pikmin carrying them away and flipping you the bird?

On the 3DS the games disappear as soon as it connects to the internet. On the Wii U they are "there", but inaccessible as shown by the pictures.

That sucks man. I read your post earlier in the Nintendo thread..... Sucks. I'm on your side man, it's complete bullshit you buy your games and they take that away.

Cbajd5

On the 3DS the games disappear as soon as it connects to the internet. On the Wii U they are "there", but inaccessible as shown by the pictures.

dude i'm pretty sure he was joking

Also, honest questions: How many accounts (main+sub accounts) did you have? What's the maximum number of copies of a single title you had registered to all accounts?

Thorakai

Shit 12,000 is a fucking lot. At that point I don't see what they can possibly offer that can make the hassle of registering a game worth it.

But they aren't capping you. They are letting you do stuff that they should have locked down in their account system, then cracking down later. This is not a customer friendly way to do things.
For sure. I think they should definitely fix the loophole and honor what their system allowed to happen. Just saying the ToS itself is pretty normal.

This. Basically the only reason to start this thread is to use anti-Nintendo action, which should be bannable.
The insecurity in this post is hilarious.

That sucks OP. I'd be real pissed at Nintendo if they did that to me. I'm like you I like to have a digital copy as well and that's the route I've gone with my wii u, but if I wanted to buy the digital versions of the physical games I already own, it sounds like I could be punished. Take comfort in knowing that at least you helped me to avoid that mistake and I hope this gets sorted out for ya.

BlackJace

Sounds like an admin flagged you for being suspicious or some shit. Sorry to hear that dude, hope it gets resolved. It'd be hella weird to turn on your system and see that your games are being zapped.

I think that... okay, I'm going to continue my line of thought. The coins are there to reward individuals filling out the surveys after buying and playing the games. They're okay with families pooling points to buy things together, and if you have multiple people buying the same games, then they're probably okay with multiple people registering the games and filling out the surveys. If me, my parents, my brother and my sister all buy copies of animal crossing new leaf, we can register and fill out surveys on our family-linked club nintendo accounts. And that's fine, because it's five unique surveys from five unique people. But if we all buy New Leaf, and I take everyone's club nintendo code and register the games and do the surveys myself... junk data. There's a legitimate purpose for being able to register multiple copies of the same game to family-linked Club Nintendo accounts. I don't think this qualifies, though.

Springy

Right now I'm not in a joking mood =/

Sorry for the levity. I'm actually crossing my fingers you get your rewards reinstated. I guess it all depends if you get a sympathetic customer service rep or not.

And why would you need to?
Well, as I stated earlier, I have a few 3DS games I own both digitally and physically; usually, having bought the eShop version in a sale some time later. It can feasibly happen, but apparently I'm in breach of the ToS.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
I'm trying to wrap my head around why exactly it's not OK to buy multiple copies of a game and register them to the same account. Like.. what. Why? What's the reasoning behind this?

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I would never buy a game digitally from Nintendo until they get their ridiculous online stuff together (well, I did buy two VC games for my Wii, but that's it). They are just unimaginably terrible at this.

MoxManiac

Whoa, you can't resell the rewards? That's a bummer. Always wanted to try and track down one of those Mario statue things that was a reward a few years back.

They probably mean you can't sell download codes from digital rewards.

Nintendo can't legally prevent you from selling physical rewards that are now your own property. That's silly.

Caffeine

I would never buy a game digitally from Nintendo until they get their ridiculous online stuff together (well, I did buy two VC games for my Wii, but that's it). They are just unimaginably terrible at this.

seriously they need to get this shit together.

espher

Not that I'm thinking either party is in the right here, but just because you can do something, doesn't mean you should. Particularly when you review the ToS and the steps taken are "technically" allowed because they aren't an exact match for the bullet points. (Edit: Hell, it could just be the volume combined with the 'edge case' behaviour that leads them to conclude it's not legitimate activity.)

This is the kind of shit I see people try to pull all the time in MMOs, to give a non-real-world example, where people have accounts or progression or 'loot' stripped all the time for exploits that don't break the rules explicitly and thus, they argue, are not actually exploits.

knkng

I'm trying to wrap my head around why exactly it's not OK to buy multiple copies of a game and register them to the same account. Like.. what. Why? What's the reasoning behind this?

I think it's fine here and there, but based on his 12,000 coins (and those are the ones that he had left over), he would have had to register hundreds upon hundreds of games. They probably assumed he was using some kind of exploit, or stealing codes, or something like that.

Shoyz

I used the family account trick and got banned a while back. Lost 1200 coins after going back and forth on getting a Game & Watch, wish I did now. Pales in comparison though.

Best bet is to resell them, I guess.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)

Are all the games being removed CN Rewards? Have they removed any titles you've paid CASH for?

See, I'm puzzled -- I can understand them shutting down your account if you had multiple CN accounts, but you said you had a family account with subaccounts -- and the site seems to explicitly allow for that.

Unless, of course, someone browsed the NEOGaf thread where you were giving away CN rewards, which (as far as I can tell) seems to be against the TOS.

Are all the games being removed CN Rewards? Have they removed any titles you've paid CASH for?

See, I'm puzzled -- I can understand them shutting down your account if you had multiple CN accounts, but you said you had a family account with subaccounts -- and the site seems to explicitly allow for that.

Unless, of course, someone browsed the NEOGaf thread where you were giving away CN rewards, which (as far as I can tell) seems to be against the TOS.

Yes; as of now only CN digital rewards are being removed. Yes it's a family account with subaccounts, which means every July I would only get one Platinum reward.

It's going to really anger me if giving codes away is the issue here.

I think that... okay, I'm going to continue my line of thought. The coins are there to reward individuals filling out the surveys after buying and playing the games. They're okay with families pooling points to buy things together, and if you have multiple people buying the same games, then they're probably okay with multiple people registering the games and filling out the surveys. If me, my parents, my brother and my sister all buy copies of animal crossing new leaf, we can register and fill out surveys on our family-linked club nintendo accounts. And that's fine, because it's five unique surveys from five unique people. But if we all buy New Leaf, and I take everyone's club nintendo code and register the games and do the surveys myself... junk data. There's a legitimate purpose for being able to register multiple copies of the same game to family-linked Club Nintendo accounts. I don't think this qualifies, though.
I think you've nailed it. That all makes sense. They would need to determine that multiple people are in fact not filling out the surveys but, as OP sounds like he wasn't trying to scam anyone, it sounds likely he wasn't pretending to be his niece and nephew when doing the surveys.

donny2112

If it does turn out to be that they flagged your account for redeeming monthly rewards, and then the rewards show up on someone else's system, then they probably thought you were selling them, which would be against the TOS. Basically, you need to be prepared with the links to the giveaways in the CN thread to show that they were not sold. If it is the case that they thought you were selling them, they may even give you special permission to do the giveaways, since there's no selling involved and you're obviously such a huge supporter of the company's games.

Basically, just do what you're doing. Keep trying to reach a person to talk to to explain this stuff, and it wouldn't hurt to get the links to the giveaways together, just in case.

As said in the other thread (and here), tons of people were purposefully gaming the system with the MK8 free game by buying multiple copies and then trading them in to buy more. That probably caused this kind of a crackdown, then, that you may be inadvertantly suffering from . :/

br3wnor

You need to get a lawyer and sue. They're stealing from you and you deserve compensation. Unfortunately there doesn't appear to be a different way to obtain it.

Lol this cracks me up. Even a shit lawyer would change you a few hundred dollars just to draft a letter to Nintendo which is definitely more $ than the games he lost. And even if Nintendo responded they'd do so with their own legal team which has millions of dollars to delay, stall and ultimately defeat any legal action like this.

Let's see if the "it is in the TOS" argument will hold up in court... (hint, it wont)

How dumb of Nintendo for going against its own customers like this...

Zinthar

Now is it awesome? Not really. If people have the money to blow and you're giving out rewards based on money, I'm not sure what the problem is with it being uncapped. But this is how many companies do it.

That's a poor argument to rely upon because it would be quite simple to create multiple accounts and evade the cap. Additionally, the means by which Nintendo is enforcing this (retroactive removal of points and games purchased) is draconian and doesn't function even remotely like the bonus caps on most other rewards programs, so that's hardly an apt comparison. And above all, this ToS policy is most likely to affect Nintendo's best customers, and may dissuade them from supporting the company as strongly in the future.

Please refrain from adding in "for the third time..." when the argument was equally unpersuasive in the prior two instances.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom