• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo is removing games from my Wii U & 3DS

Status
Not open for further replies.
No

No no no

I sometimes sell my physical copy and buy the digital one, so I do the survey twice

How fucked am I?

Technically the system thinks they're different because the physical ones are just the game name and the download ones have (Digital) in the game title. Is that my saving grace?

Shiggy

I guess this is one of the many situations where one can only slam one's head against the wall because of what Nintendo is doing. Yeah, Nintendo fans better wear helmets these days.

Well, as I stated earlier, I have a few 3DS games I own both digitally and physically; usually, having bought the eShop version in a sale some time later. It can feasibly happen, but apparently I'm in breach of the ToS.
It's been my experience that digital and physical games are considered 2 separate entities. Even the surveys are slightly different for each. I wouldn't be too concerned if you have a few duplicate physical/digital games on your account.

I think what got the OP flagged is the that huge 12,000 number on his account.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Yes; as of now only CN digital rewards are being removed. Yes it's a family account with subaccounts, which means every July I would only get one Platinum reward.

While this isn't going to make you feel any better, it sounds like NOA is only removing CN rewards -- and not "deleting all titles after breaching TOS" -- something that all companies reserve the right to do, I've noticed.

It still stinks -- although perhaps the phone call will help. I helped my sister set up a CN account a few years ago, and she opted to send me a reward as a birthday gift -- however, my address appearing in BOTH accounts caused both accounts to be shut down. However, after calling NOA and talking to their CN support folks (and confirming we were different people with different accounts at different addresses), they reenabled the accounts. Hopefully they'll fix this when you talk to them... but the deletion seems worrisome.

Yikes, I was gonna do the same after buying multiple copies of a couple of games since I wanted to also get some for my niece. Dodged that bullet.

That said, it's a stupid rule (why would it matter if it's the same game since you still paid for it?) and it should be changed.

Springy

ESCAPE THE COUNTRY NOW

But post any leftover Club Nintendo codes you have laying around before you go.

So?
I put random stuff in the survey all the time. How old am I, where I get my information, and why I bought the product. I just put N/A, my friends will leave me, or Neogaf force me too.

Your feedback is probably the driving factor behind the localization of Tomodachi Life.

fedexpeon

Banned
Being the devil's advocate here for a second, the coins are technically a reward for the feedback you give them in their surveys, rather than for purchasing the game. Registering multiple copies of the same game results in you submitting multiple feedback reports for the same game. You create useless, junk data that compromises the feedback system. I don't like it, but on some level, I get it.

So?
I put random stuff in the survey all the time. How old am I, where I get my information, and why I bought the product. I just put N/A, my friends will leave me, or Neogaf force me too.

I just want the coin since I don't believe in the feedback system, and the economic value being exchanged between Nintendo and myself is not of equal value for me to answer honestly.

If you are a true fan, I guess the valuation on improving Nintendo outweigh any economics factors in that decision to be honest.
I am just a casual fan, so my time is more valuable than doing a brand survey.

Cbajd5

this made me laugh really hard

EoUl3aq.png

that plural in Club Nintendo accounts i hope is just a typo, with One NNiD does not make sense to me, only one Club Nintendo Account can be linked to a NNiD

I have a family club nintendo account with subaccounts; which is all within the websites ability to do so. This means I can essentially create infinite CN accounts under a main family account and register as many games as I'd like; which is what I've been doing.

Nyoro SF

What makes this doubly baffling is that the coins value in terms of nintendo's cut of the profit for buying games is very much in nintendo's favor.

If a fan wants to buy loads of games and register them who cares? The fan is buying your games.

BY2K

Membero Americo
No

No no no

I sometimes sell my physical copy and buy the digital one, so I do the survey twice

How fucked am I?

Technically the system thinks they're different because the physical ones are just the game name and the download ones have (Digital) in the game title. Is that my saving grace?

Club Nintendo counts them as two separate games, so I think you're safe.

So?

I just want the coin since I don't believe in the feedback system
, and the economic value being exchanged between Nintendo and myself is not of equal value for me to answer honestly.

If you are a true fan, I guess the valuation on improving Nintendo outweigh any economics factors in that decision to be honest.

Yep.

All I do is complain in the surveys. I'm sure there are plenty of sycophants that tell them how great they are, so I'm earning my coins by bringing balance to the scale.

Nintendo can likely see what games you're actually playing, so inputting the codes of several games that you don't actually play likely flags your account.

tengiants

So they are removing games that were paid for with points that you received through exploiting their website and ruining survey data. Seems fair to me. What is the problem again?

So they are removing games that were paid for with points that you received through exploiting their website and ruining survey data. Seems fair to me. What is the problem again?

Because I wasn't doing an exploit. I was doing the family accounts which is what they want people to use.

Nintendo can likely see what games you're actually playing, so inputting the codes of several games that you don't actually play likely flags your account.

By that logic, any digital game I buy but don't ever open should be removed??

Springy

This sounds beyond their ability to actively collect data with the intent to act on. Also, half of GAF has a backlog that would chew their system up.

JSoup

Banned
Buying multiple copies of games and registering the codes on one account is against TOS?

I wasn't even aware you could do this. Every topic I've seen on this ended with the user getting a blank page when they tried to enter a code for a game they'd already registered.

So?

I just want the coin since I don't believe in the feedback system, and the economic value being exchanged between Nintendo and myself is not of equal value for me to answer honestly.

You're making this about what you get away with. For Nintendo though, it's about what they're getting out of it. I'm not trying to guilt you into filling out your surveys. I'm just trying to come at things from their perspective to see how this may make some amount of sense.

I have a family club nintendo account with subaccounts; which is all within the websites ability to do so. This means I can essentially create infinite CN accounts under a main family account and register as many games as I'd like; which is what I've been doing.
How many subaccounts did you create? I could understand them thinking things were fishy if you had 50 people living in the same house or something.

tengiants

Because I wasn't doing an exploit. I was doing the family accounts which is what they want people to use.

You were registering the same instance of a game, with different family accounts, that were associated with the same NNID, correct? Therefore you were creating multiple registrations for the same title, correct?

Buying multiple copies of games and registering the codes on one account is against TOS?

Its simply not possible to register the same game twice. I tried this before, similar scenario as in OP.

Don't know what happened with the OP account, perhaps the system was thinking that he misused the codes. He should simply contact the service.

You were registering the same instance of a game, with different family accounts, that were associated with the same NNID, correct? Therefore you were creating multiple registrations for the same title, correct?

NNID has nothing to do with physical games. The NNID doesn't even have anything to do with CN when buying digital games. It just adds coins to whatever CN account is on the system.

How many subaccounts did you create? I could understand them thinking things were fishy if you had 50 people living in the same house or something.

I had about 7 or 8. I had that many to many to keep each family and friend separated from the codes they would give me or the games I would buy for my niece and nephew.

Its simply not possible to register the same game twice. I tried this before, similar scenario as in OP.

Don't know what happened with the OP account, perhaps the system was thinking that he misused the codes. He should simply contact the service.

You can register on one account a digital and physical of the same game. Each subaccount can also do the same.

tengiants

NNID has nothing to do with physical games. The NNID doesn't even have anything to do with CN when buying digital games. It just adds coins to whatever CN account is on the system.

Interesting, okay.

You can register on one account a digital and physical of the same game. Each subaccount can also do the same.

So you were registering the same instance of a title, with different sub accounts, right?

TunaLover

I don't think you can register the same game with a different family account.

gai_shain

This. Basically the only reason to start this thread is to use anti-Nintendo action, which should be bannable.

are you serious? So what If I can only spend 10$ max a day but I have 11 per day? Is it also ok to just take away 1 every day because i couldnt even spend it anyway?

Just because a website allowed you to do something, doesn't mean it isn't against the ToS. Things get very hairy whenever the ToS is broken and it deals with registered or downloaded games. See: Those people losing thousands of dollars of steam games for doing a single chargeback for just a few dollars. I'm not saying you deserve to lose your games at all, though, I never agree when people lose their downloaded games for a small issue. Hopefully you get a hold of someone with some sense and they help you out.

I am registering games that I bought physically and digitally for myself and then physical and sometimes even digital games for my niece and nephew too all under the family accounts.

Are you saying a family who buys 2 copies of the same Pokemon and registers them on a family club nintendo account is scamming Nintendo?

Ah, I misunderstood what happened a bit then.

It doesn't mention anything about removing games in there.

Call up Nintendo and speak to someone as high up as possible. They shouldn't be able to do this.

Digital games are tied to your account. When you delete the account, so too goes the game license. An account deletion for breach of ToS will then, naturally, result in loss of access to games tied to it. Unless I misunderstand and they're cutting individual games from extant accounts.

Boogiepop

I do definitely think this sucks, and I seriously hope you end up getting in touch with a rep who can help you get sorted out. They may just hold firm to the ToS or whatever, but sometimes persistence helps with these kind of issues! Seriously, good luck man.

To add though, it definitely disturbs me a bit to learn that they can apparently track games downloaded through CN codes and revoke them. I kind of just assumed they were plain old generating a code and then once that was used it was used. Messed up to think that they can revoke those remotely and it's all being stored. Also pretty lame to hear that selling codes is apparently against the rules. I guess if people have all the games offered for Platinum they just have to shrug their shoulders and deal with it. Bleh.

SmithnCo

Are we confusing "instance" of a game and multiples of it? Because if you registered multiples of the same game that should be fine.

I don't think they let you register the same code twice...

Their system allows me to do it. Under no circumstance was I trying to scam Nintendo.

Just because their system allows you to do it doesn't mean that is totally cool, and as I posted last page, there's a reason it makes sense for their system to allow it. Not to be a pompous jerk, but to quote myself...

I think that... okay, I'm going to continue my line of thought. The coins are there to reward individuals filling out the surveys after buying and playing the games. They're okay with families pooling points to buy things together, and if you have multiple people buying the same games, then they're probably okay with multiple people registering the games and filling out the surveys. If me, my parents, my brother and my sister all buy copies of animal crossing new leaf, we can register and fill out surveys on our family-linked club nintendo accounts. And that's fine, because it's five unique surveys from five unique people. But if we all buy New Leaf, and I take everyone's club nintendo code and register the games and do the surveys myself... junk data. There's a legitimate purpose for being able to register multiple copies of the same game to family-linked Club Nintendo accounts. I don't think this qualifies, though.

I don't like this shit and I do dearly hope you get your games back, but I'd be lying if I said that their response didn't make a certain amount of sense.

Just because their system allows you to do it doesn't mean that is totally cool, and as I posted last page, there's a reason it makes sense for their system to allow it. Not to be a pompous jerk, but to quote myself...

I don't like this shit and I do dearly hope you get your games back, but I'd be lying if I said that their response didn't make a certain amount of sense.

I am registering games that I bought physically and digitally for myself and then physical and sometimes even digital games for my niece and nephew too all under the family accounts.

Are you saying a family who buys 2 copies of the same Pokemon and registers them on a family club nintendo account is scamming Nintendo?

Ask the people that won your giveaways if those games have been removed from their systems. If they haven't then Nintendo probably flagged your account for "suspicious" activity from all your subs. I would call them back even if they said they would call until this gets resolved. I hope they just mistakenly flagged your account.

Ask the people that won your giveaways if those games have been removed from their systems. If they haven't then Nintendo probably flagged your account for "suspicious" activity from all your subs. I would call them back even if they said they would call until this gets resolved. I hope they just mistakenly flagged your account.

I've called atleast 10 times today. Each time they said there is nothing to do and it's being investigated on their end and they will call me when ready.

Then I get home and see games being removed.

I've called atleast 10 times today. Each time they said there is nothing to do and it's being investigated on their end and they will call me when ready.

Then I get home and see games being removed.

Damn. I would still check with the winners of your giveaways. If that was the reason it was flagged you could show them proof that you weren't selling them.

TunaLover

Well, I tried to register the game I had in my main account into my family account and it says the game has been already registered, pretty much sure the code becomes invalid once you register it. It would be too easy just exchange used codes and register them in family accounts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom