• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo looking for Lead Graphic Engineer for Next-Gen Console SoC in Redmond

I can't remember the exact details off the top of my head but each new console revision last generation brought greater power efficiency which I guess is probably obvious. I am kind of curious though how later PS4 and XB1 revisions stack up power consumption-wise to later PS3/360 revisions. I think they'll get quite good in that vein tbh

Yeah I agree, specially with this new ways zombiebbq mentioned a while ago 3D stacking and what not which I don't understand very well but I still find it interesting. How small and low can they go with the size and tdp in 4-6 years before the next machines.

Edit: sorry for OT post.

Apt101

Just throwing it out there, I would have gleefully played Assassin's Creed 4 on Wii U rather than PS4 if Nintendo had some kind of achievement system. I would have happily put up with the inferior graphical fidelity and missed out on the bonus content.

Wish Nintendo would just partner with sega and launch a new console.

Wouldn't that be some shit. SOmething tells me Sega is too disjointed to accomplish something like that though.

Chmpocalypse

Blizzard
The Gamepad is an undesirable product for a major part of the market whatever way you try to paint it. Yes, for some people it might be the best thing ever, it dosn't change that fact. The best thing Nintendo can do is nuke that concept from earth and forget it happened at all.

Time to let it go.

Exactly.

Half-hearted, full priced ports of games released on other consoles 6-12 months earlier do not prove a point.

Oh please, XB1 had some pretty bad ports when you consider the power difference between lastgen and current gen, ac4 only 900p, COD 720p. There really is no excuse for the biggest franchise's a to bomb on the wiiu. And the bad ports really has to do more with the hardware being on par or slightly better then last gen consoles, that's why the ports weren't that great. The main reason is those games are not established on Nintendo consoles, they practically missed the whole generation of online gaming as well.

The Gamepad is an undesirable product for a major part of the market whatever way you try to paint it. Yes, for some people it might be the best thing ever, it dosn't change that fact. The best thing Nintendo can do is nuke that concept from earth and forget it happened at all.

Time to let it go.

Yes, it's what keeps me from buying a Wii U, just thinking about having to play with the gamepad is enough to put the money back in my wallet.

I believe fixing 3rd party publisher relations is integral to Nintendo's plans moving forward. I also agree with most of Cydonia's post concerning this but I don't believe Nintendo needs to woo EA to get EA games on it's platforms. They should first focus on EA's nearest competitiors Activision, Warner Bros. 2K games and Rockstar. Once those publishers are on board with quality content, EA should come running because they can't stand not being the center of attention.

Anth0ny

I wonder if it'll be underpowered

I wonder if it'll be third party friendly

why do I feel like I know the answer to both questions

I wonder if it'll be underpowered

I wonder if it'll be third party friendly

why do I feel like I know the answer to both questions
They have to do something different. They're not going to let this happen again... right? No way. It's like with the RROD from last gen. You KNEW Microsoft wouldn't let the 360's successor be another RROD box. Anyone with some foresight knew it would be well-made in that regard. I feel the same about Ninty's next console. It's not gonna be another drastically underpowered turd. I also think it'll get decent third-party support.

I actually hope they don't do the hybrid thing. That doesn't sound appealing and it would most likely mean an underpowered console.

Instro

I believe fixing 3rd party publisher relations is integral to Nintendo's plans moving forward. I also agree with most of Cydonia's post concerning this but I don't believe Nintendo needs to woo EA to get EA games on it's platforms. They should first focus on EA's nearest competitiors Activision, Warner Bros. 2K games and Rockstar. Once those publishers are on board with quality content, EA should come running because they can't stand not being the center of attention.

Console 3rd party relations can't really be fixed, particularly with western developers. What's left of the Nintendo audience on consoles does not buy 3rd party games, and has been increasingly reluctant to do so since the N64 era. Regardless of system power, there isn't really a way around this issue, and it is only exacerbated by the fact that Nintendo has largely had poor communication with western pulishers over the years. Hell, WiiU owners don't appear to be buying Nintendo's own games at the moment either.

The major benefit of the apparent plan for Nintendo's next console to play all of the available handheld titles by way of shared architecture, is that the software library will be propped up by the generally healthy amount of 3rd party support they receive from Japanese developers on the handheld side, and presumably the shared install base will be more attractive for developers and publishers in general.

Anth0ny

They have to do something different. They're not going to let this happen again... right? No way. It's like with the RROD from last gen. You KNEW Microsoft wouldn't let the 360's successor be another RROD box. Anyone with some foresight knew it would be well-made in that regard. I feel the same about Ninty's next console. It's not gonna be another drastically underpowered turd. I also think it'll get decent third-party support.

I actually hope they don't do the hybrid thing. That doesn't sound appealing and it would most likely mean an underpowered console.

I think that's exactly what they're going to do. Double down on the "We can't compete! Lets be different! We don't need third party support!" strategy. Make a super underpowered console (like barely stronger than Wii U) that shares the same software library with their next handheld. Literally zero third party support because it's going to be so fucking different and weird and underpowered like usual... but there's going to be a ton of first party releases to make up for that? I guess?

That's the vibe I get from Iwata's comments regarding iOS and how they need to move more towards that kind of system in the future.

AniHawk

I think that's exactly what they're going to do. Double down on the "We can't compete! Lets be different! We don't need third party support!" strategy. Make a super underpowered console (like barely stronger than Wii U) that shares the same software library with their next handheld. Literally zero third party support because it's going to be so fucking different and weird and underpowered like usual... but there's going to be a ton of first party releases to make up for that? I guess?

That's the vibe I get from Iwata's comments regarding iOS and how they need to move more towards that kind of system in the future.

i think they'll actually try and create their own ecosystem. they're successful at this with their handhelds. even third-party games do well on their handhelds, especially in japan. if they have a shared library, that means more exposure for stuff that might not necessarily be played on a console, or vice versa.

inexpensive parts and lower power consumption is good for making affordable and profitable hardware. if they're really trying to make things that are very similar to each other, then they have to look at battery life for their next handheld platform as well as price.

i know people look to the gamecube as though it was some golden age. it wasn't. publishers seemingly arbitrarily dropped multiplatform games from the gamecube too. games would come out much later than other platforms and eventually not at all. it sometimes didn't even make a whole lot of sense, like psychonauts missing the system when it might have done all right there.

the wii is what nintendo wants. and not just because of sales. the wii is what nintendo wants because publishers were actually making games that were more up to their speed. there was a lot of shovelware, but there was a lot of honest-to-god attempts at mid-tier game development. that was the ecosystem should have better fostered in the waning years of the platform, instead of abandoning it like they did. they could have done more to support ubisoft and sega in particular, who both really gave it the ol' college try. more recently, i think their attempts at selling the 3ds have been a lot better, especially in how they've been reaching out to and working with third-parties. i say that from first-hand experience, as well as general observations. it's that attitude that they'll need going forward. they should have their market the one that makes worldwide successes out of games like bravely default and fire emblem awakening.

I wonder what the gimmick will be this time. Hang upside down from the ceiling like a bat? An electronic blindfold with shock sensors to help guide your sightless platforming? A literal hand-holding mode where one of their interns comes to your house to cheerlead you and give you a hug when you fail the level? : p

I've heard it's some sort of Nintedooooom-device? Here troll, have a snack..

KingJ2002

Good news.

Im curious to see what comes out of this but I'm more interested to see what their new OS will do.

I was excited about what they've done with the Nintendo Web Framework... now mix in a multi device operating system that third party middleware guys will support... on consoles with power and Nintendo is back in the game.

Chmpocalypse

Blizzard
sörine;135369427 said:
The Gamepad in incredibly conservative, it's practically tailored to core gamers. It really isn't quirky or innovative or fresh, which is exactly the problem with it compared to the Wiimote.

It had the opposite effect of the wiimote, especially for new/lapsed/older gamers - breaking, rather than enhancing, immersion.

Setting aside my view that being forced to look away from my 60" wall-mounted plasma to a tiny screen in the middle of a game is just not fun or engaging, the gamepad makes the games seem far more intimidating to those people than a controller shaped like your tv remote did. It made things complicated for no real benefit.

You're right, it's not innovative in the slightest. Its purported benefits aren't even original (Vita did remote play and Dead Space realtime inventory management while in danger first).

Gleethor

I agree with and anticipate everything but the bolded. I don't think they'd let themselves slip more than one generation behind power-wise, their console will be at least roughly PS4 level.

Chmpocalypse

Blizzard
I think the Wii U is such an undesirable, convoluted and poorly positioned product that no amount of appealing software would drastically improve its sales. You could make GTA 6 and FFXV exclusive to it tomorrow and the system still wouldn't take off.

I tend to agree. After all, multiplayer. The base for that just isn't on Nintendo systems. (Miiverse? lol please)

Plus, the Nintendo core that looks down with disdain on those dirty non-Nintendo lolgrimdark third party games. Those fans wouldn't help.

So sharing the same software library as the handheld meaning you could buy a game for either one and be able to play it on both (most likely digitally)? That could give them an 'out' on releasing another underpowered console... "Hey, we had to make the games playable on our handheld so that's why the console didn't have to be powerful".

So sharing the same software library as the handheld meaning you could buy a game for either one and be able to play it on both (most likely digitally)? That could give them an 'out' on releasing another underpowered console... "Hey, we had to make the games playable on our handheld so that's why the console didn't have to be powerful".

And as we know, it's all about giving an excuse for your hardware design.

JohnChang

Banned
its never good to announce this is it because then people might hold off buying the current gen Wii U which isn't selling that great already

advantage Sony and Microsoft with this news

And as we know, it's all about giving an excuse for your hardware design.
I don't know if this was sarcasm or what but you just reminded me about how they kept harping on having "low power usage" for Wii U. Like that was one of their big goals for the hardware. It was bizarre. They probably thought they could use that as an excuse for the specs.

JoeM86

Guys, they never said about the next console sharing the handheld's library. What was said is that they'd have similar architecture to allow for easier transfer of assets, engines etc. and, if the developer wants, yes games.

It won't be a console that just also runs the handheld games.

Come on.

Krilekk

Banned
Please elaborate. They have never released a console that was technically weaker than the ones from the previous gen to my knowledge.

Why do you think WiiU titles don't even match 360? WiiU CPU is crippling the whole system, it is THAT bad.

Guys, they never said about the next console sharing the handheld's library. What was said is that they'd have similar architecture to allow for easier transfer of assets, engines etc. and, if the developer wants, yes games.

Come on.
Oh ok, I misinterpreted it.

Log4Girlz

Come on.

Yea that idea is literally too good and their only salvation. No way its happening.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
i know people look to the gamecube as though it was some golden age. it wasn't. publishers seemingly arbitrarily dropped multiplatform games from the gamecube too. games would come out much later than other platforms and eventually not at all. it sometimes didn't even make a whole lot of sense, like psychonauts missing the system when it might have done all right there.
It wasn't really arbitrary. The Gamecube's mini-disc and low install base made the effort required for workarounds less than appealing. Trying to cram something like Psychonauts on to even two mini-discs seems like it'd be a pain.

StevieP

Banned
It wasn't really arbitrary. The Gamecube's mini-disc and low install base made the effort required for workarounds less than appealing. Trying to cram something like Psychonauts on to even two mini-discs seems like it'd be a pain.

Psychonauts would've likely fit on 1, like much of that generation's biggest titles. All of gta 3 outside of SA would've fit on one. The disc wasn't the issue most of the time even if devs claimed that it was. Hardware and power are so far down the totem pole of issues they're almost negligible.

Citation: many many 360 games that come with multiple DVDs. Where publishers want their content they will make it happen.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I'd like "low power" to mean they are targeting 80-100 watts. Realistically it probably means about 40. Doesn't really matter I guess, I'd buy whatever just as my NintendoBox to go along with my PC.

I doubt they are going to do the "hybrid" thing where the systems will share games but I'd like to see it happen, just so I wouldn't need a portable for any games.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Psychonauts would've likely fit on 1, like much of that generation's biggest titles. All of gta 3 outside of SA would've fit on one. The disc wasn't the issue most of the time even if devs claimed that it was. Hardware and power are so far down the totem pole of issues they're almost negligible.
Psychonauts is pretty audio heavy. Cutting it down to a single disc would basically involve mauling the game even further from the PS2 release. And you're off on GTA, Vice City wouldn't fit on a single Gamecube minidisc.

Personally, what I think is far more important to Nintendo reversing their declining sales and relevancy is getting NOA back to where it was in the N64 era.

Iwata needs to relax his grip on it and rebuild it with regional autonomy and give it enough war chest money to set up/buy out/organise exclusive contracts with US studios in the same way they do with Jspanese ones.

Get some new Turoks, Perfect Darks, Conkers and Banjos out there and market them heavily to drum up awareness. It won't suddenly make everyone drop MS and Sony and come running, but it'll slowly shift perception away from being a kiddie only/casual machine just for Mario games.

Hell, I fully expect it'd be a generation or 2 before it'd start to have a real affect on public perceptions, but what's the alternative?

That and do something for Mobile. Either an app for ges you can only get new software for via web browser to avoid the apple/android tax, or partner with a single company and make a unique Nintendo Phone and split profits.

Stick with their current strategy and watch market shares fall ever lower as the Console buying Nintendo die hards dwindle ever more? Pretend Smartphones aren't just going to take more and more of the handhelds sales as time goes on? Keep throwing random gimmicks out there in the hope of another Wii level lucky break?

Copying the competition won't work. They're too far ahead now to catch up, thanks to Nintendo ignoring HD and online in the 7th Gen. Power is not the be all and end all of competition, and Smartphones are not going away. The only advantage they have left is software, and unless they broaden their appeal that's going to have less and less impact as time goes on.

Well, that's my opinion anyway

Please elaborate. They have never released a console that was technically weaker than the ones from the previous gen to my knowledge.

You can argue xbox is more powerful then the wii, pretty sure the wii couldn't run many xbox games cause it couldn't do programmable shaders.

liger05

If they are not communicating with third party developers getting an idea of what they want then prepare to be disappointed. Nintendo going it alone will simply result in some underpowered console with some crazy gimmick.

Top Bottom