• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo: new Super Mario for Wii U, Reveal at E3 [Update: Based On E3 2011 Game]

Ooooh the first ever HD Mario title!
Boy I can't wait to see what it looks........
05.jpg

"Not like this. Not like this."

belindamcclory.jpg

JimboJones

I never bought NSMBW because I don't really play much multiplayer on my Nintendo consoles (most people I know aren't "Nintendo" fans") so how did the platforming hold up on it's own? Meaning was this a platformer like other Mario games that was designed to be good platforming even in single-player, or was it only good as a "party" game?

It was a great game in single player, actually to be honest it felt like the multiplayer was shoe horned in because once you had 3 or more players it didn't really add much except (kinda hilarious) disaster most of the time.
2 player coop wasn't bad though, you could take turns sacraficing your selves to get hard to reach big coins that would usally require a bit more skill if you were playing on your own.

cacildo

Since this game may actually be in our future, might as well re-post the screens from E3 2011 for a refresher:

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

05.jpg

The art style has never bothered me. It was good-looking, clean, and inoffensive. However, nothing can defend the low poly counts and lack of anti-aliasing.

So that´s the first HD game from Nintendo ever.

And its the same game from the Ds, remade for the second time

I really hope this is WiiWare

Or... better: it comes free with the system!

Tookay

I never bought NSMBW because I don't really play much multiplayer on my Nintendo consoles (most people I know aren't "Nintendo" fans") so how did the platforming hold up on it's own? Meaning was this a platformer like other Mario games that was designed to be good platforming even in single-player, or was it only good as a "party" game?

It's a good game, single-player or multi, and has some great level design, but also plays it safe, in its presentation, its difficulty, and its execution, which hurts it somewhat.

impact

Banned
So is there any way to play it without your Mii? I can't get over how disgusting they look when implemented in games with actual characters.

Tookay

So that´s the first HD game from Nintendo ever.

And its the same game from the Ds, remade for the second time

I really hope this is WiiWare

Or... better: it comes free with the system!

Not this shit again.

I'm not even a fan of the "New" series, but they've been completely differently games.

So is there any way to play it without your Mii? I can't get over how disgusting they look when implemented in games with actual characters.

The screenshots above show some scenes without Miis. I think it's just going to be their attempt to pull in more of the casual crowd. "Now YOU get to be in the Mario world."

Hey, helps explain why Wuhu Island and Miis are in Mario Kart.

Mii for Smash Bros!

loosus

Banned
Hopefully, they'll fuck it up with the whole "don't die too many times in a level or forever get the Scarlet Letter" thing again. Fully enjoyed that dumb shit in the last four Mario games.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Oh yeah, there's no excuses any more. I honestly don't think it'd be that great, it's the kind of game where real world violence makes it that much better (you fuck me over in the game, I throw you off the sofa), but options damn it.
Anymore? If it doesn't have online, Nintendo is officially two gens behind instead of one. That's two gens too many. I mean props for still supporting local multiplayer unlike most nowadays, but no online wasn't acceptable then, isn't acceptable now.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
Has Nintendo issued a response yet to the outcry of complaints?

Beth Cyra

The whole group of Neogaf complaining about it likely isn't going to matter in the face of the "Ugly" Mario selling over 20 Million a shot and the good looking one not even hitting 10.

At least for a rushed piece of software that is meant to ship with the platform.

The art style is horrendous. HD won't save those visuals.

NSBMWii was a great game and I'm sure this will be, but for fucks sake, why can't we get a "true" 2D Mario style ala World or something?

:(

Nintendo, why do you love to hurt me so?

loosus

Banned
Is there any reason Nintendo shouldn't issue a public apology for this atrocity? Personally, I see no reason not to do so.

botty

Banned
It's going to be so much better than what people expect. It'll probably have online, amazing level design, and more Bowser jr. At least Nintendo knows what a console needs to be successful at launch.

WillyFive

How are they even going to hear it (and if they do, take it seriously in the face of how incredibly well received the games were)?

Is there any reason Nintendo shouldn't issue a public apology for this atrocity? Personally, I see no reason not to do so.

There is a FAR bigger chance they aren't even aware they are doing anything "wrong" than there is of them thinking there is a credible outcry of the games.

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
I figured, I said this on the first page of the thread.

Like I said before, I think it's because NSMBWii was the best selling Mario platformer on the Wii. So, they're betting on this selling well and selling units.

Disappoints me because I really don't want another New Super Mario Bros. game - I'd rather have something like Super Mario 3D Land or Galaxy/Galaxy 2.

Beth Cyra

It's going to be so much better than what people expect. It'll probably have online, amazing level design, and more Bowser jr. At least Nintendo knows what a console needs to be successful at launch.

Why is this turd lumped in with good things/hopes?

Somnid

If art dictates price Tim Schafer owes me money.

Just so we're clear NSMB and its sequel are two of the biggest games in gaming history. To say they should be a free pack-in is about the same as saying GTA or Call of Duty should be free pack-ins. Pick any game you'd like and NSMB has probably pushed more hardware than it (Except if you select the Wii/Mii series perhaps, which only makes it worse). No pack-in necessary.

miyamoto_deal_with_it_by_marioyoshiwii-d4c2fro.gif

Shion

Modern Nintendo doesn't give a shit about what we believe.
When soccer moms start complaining about the aesthetics of the game, we might actually hear something from Nintendo.

lenovox1

Anymore? If it doesn't have online, Nintendo is officially two gens behind instead of one. That's two gens too many. I mean props for still supporting local multiplayer unlike most nowadays, but no online wasn't acceptable then, isn't acceptable now.

But why? Just to show that they're not behind the times? This game wouldn't be better online. Most of the casuals that play this game multi-player wouldn't care about any online multi-player functionality. They'd be better off adding mini-games considering who they're trying to appeal this game to with the Mii addition. This is not a Smash Bros. situation.

botty

Banned
That is absolutely mental.

Deserved, because it's stupidly fun, but mental.

I'd just like a "true" 2D Mario to go along with the NSMB franchise at this point, and launching a beautiful one in HD with this console would be the best way to do it :(

What exactly is a "true" 2D Mario? NSMB is the closest we've come to SMB1 since SMB1.

But why? Just to show that they're not behind the times? This game wouldn't be better online. Most of the casuals that play this game multi-player wouldn't care about any online multi-player functionality. They'd be better off adding mini-games considering who they're trying to appeal this game to with the Mii addition. This is not a Smash Bros. situation.

At this point in the game online should pretty much always be an option if you have local multiplayer.

Part of me will be surprised if the game's aesthetic remains the same as those early screens. The visuals are clearly a port of the Wii game, just in high definition. The screens seem to speak more to concept than final product, especially given how much more powerful the Wii U is over the Wii.

At the same time, this might really depend on how much Nintendo wants to spend on the game (and instead save money for their inevitable 3D Mario). Perhaps more importantly, we don't know how the Mii aesthetic will change on the Wii U. With the console's power, there's no reason that the models cannot be better looking, more in line with the 360's avatar quality; but Nintendo might not want to create much disparity between the Wii U and 3DS Miis. Consequently, they might leave the visuals roughly the same in order to enforce consistency.

June can't come soon enough.

What exactly is a "true" 2D Mario? NSMB is the closest we've come to SMB1 since SMB1.

I don't see how that's true. It's basically designed around co-op if you want to have any fun.

I want a 2D Mario game that isn't designed around co-op and has an art style that is a more natural evolution of the other 2D games.

Playing NSMBWii with my girlfriend is one of my favourite Mario experiences, so I'm not talking shit about the franchise, I just want something different to compliment it. They can co-exist.

Top Bottom