• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo: new Super Mario for Wii U, Reveal at E3 [Update: Based On E3 2011 Game]

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Ooooh the first ever HD Mario title!
Boy I can't wait to see what it looks........

"Not like this. Not like this."

belindamcclory.jpg

notlikethis3rxq.gif

Super Mario Bros. 4 (or 5 if world is 4) + HD sprites. That would sell even more.

No it wouldn't, but it would win my fucking heart.

Nintendo absolutely dominated on the Wii with the 3D Mario games. Made up for Sunshine 110%

I want them to do that again with Mario in 2D (as well as putting out another fantastic 3D version, obviously)

Beth Cyra

In all honesty, at least Bowser Jr can actually try completely different tactics each time you fight him unlike Bowser and his previous 7 little shits.

He was also incredibly annoying, completely unneeded given the Koopa Kids and actually provided/encuraged material for the creepy Peach/Bowser shit.

Yeah, but at least to me the little bastard is nothing but a dirty mark on the franchise.

botty

Banned
I don't see how that's true. It's basically designed around co-op if you want to have any fun.

I want a 2D Mario game that isn't designed around co-op and has an art style that is a more natural evolution of the other 2D games.

Playing NSMBWii with my girlfriend is one of my favourite Mario experiences, so I'm not talking shit about the franchise, I just want something different to compliment it. They can co-exist.

Oh, I thought you were referring to NSMB. The Ds game.

He was also incredibly annoying, completely unneeded given the Koopa Kids and actually provided/encuraged the creepy Peach/Bowser shit.

Yeah, but at least to me the little bastard is nothing but a dirty mark on the franchise.

A bad guy is annoying, holy shit, stop the presses.

Oh, I thought you were referring to NSMB. The Ds game.

Oh, sorry!

Yeah, that game is pretty close to the original in a lot of ways :) It just wasn't what I'd expect quality wise from a "true" 2D Mario game in this day and age, though.

It was fun, but... a bit flat.

A bad guy is annoying, holy shit, stop the presses.

Yeah, in a "groan, I don't want to have you in this game" way. Most bad guys aren't annoying, and even if they are, it's not in a completely negative way like Jr.

lenovox1

Super Mario Bros. 4 (or 5 if world is 4) + HD sprites. That would sell even more.

Would it have co-op multi-player? Because if it didn't, then hell no like Foliorum Viridum said. See, launch window title Super Paper Mario (which sold decently, but not 30 million decently).

Who really buys Mario for the graphics?

Galaxy 1 and 2 being the best looking Wii games certainly made playing them more fun.

Mario Sunshine was mind blowing back in the day too from a graphical standpoint.

Mario 64 was obviously pretty crazy just from a tech perspective.

Graphics matter. Yes you can overlook bad ones, but that's no excuse for being ugly. This is a HD console, even if it might not be overly powerful, and a new art style that doesn't rape the eyes would be appreciated.

Neiteio

This Mario game will probably be a launch title, since tech-wise they can shit out the same artistic garbage as NSMB Wii, only in HD (and hopefuly not eye-bleedingly bad as on Dolphin; in the face of that, I'll settle for creatively soul-less).

boiled goose

good with gravy
Because it's a boring first impression for Mario's next-gen debut.

This x1000.

This game will not scream New at all.

They really need to try a new art style that screams this is a new, more powerful system, not just a wii with a tablet with the same games.

Watch it not even have online.

I have never had a bad guy actually annoy me to the point where I wanted to stop playing a game like with Bowswer Jr. did in Sunshine and his continued antics each time he makes an apperance.

There were things in Sunshine that made me stop playing Sunshine... at least to 100 percent, I really don't even care about what he did in Sunshine since he doesn't actually speak in mainline Mario games afterwards. It's a "Hi I exist, lets fight" kinda deal, and therefore I'm not really annoyed.

It's not like the COMPLETELY unnecessary additions like Baby Peach/Daisy/DK/some other baby, who were there simply to take up slots instead of having actual characters.

Beth Cyra

There were things in Sunshine that made me stop playing Sunshine... at least to 100 percent, I really don't even care about what he did in Sunshine since he doesn't actually speak in mainline Mario games afterwards. It's a "Hi I exist, lets fight" kinda deal, and therefore I'm not really annoyed.

It's not like the COMPLETELY unnecessary additions like Baby Peach/Daisy/DK/some other baby, who were there simply to take up slots instead of having actual characters.

Believe me I'm not of a postive mind set when it comes to the annoying babies.

lenovox1

I hope this game gets the shittiest Metacritic score ever. Burn in hell.

Doesn't seem to matter. If the game's got Mario in the title, it'll sell a couple million regardless or over 10 million if you're Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games (that had a Metacritic score of 67).

qq more

Galaxy 1 and 2 being the best looking Wii games certainly made playing them more fun.

Mario Sunshine was mind blowing back in the day too from a graphical standpoint.

Mario 64 was obviously pretty crazy just from a tech perspective.

Graphics matter. Yes you can overlook bad ones, but that's no excuse for being ugly. This is a HD console, even if it might not be overly powerful, and a new art style that doesn't rape the eyes would be appreciated.

Sorry I meant to say 2D Mario. But still, it's not gonna move a lot more units just because it's prettier. Mario doesn't sell for the graphics, at least the 2D games.

And honestly, I'm disappointed at this news too.

Pseudo_Sam

Survives without air, food, or water
This x1000.

This game will not scream New at all.

They really need to try a new art style that screams this is a new, more powerful system, not just a wii with a tablet with the same games.

Watch it not even have online.

The "casual" market that bought 30 million copies of NSMBWii is not going to care that this one is aesthetically identical. Conversely, the "hardcore" non-Nintendo fans won't care either way, because it's Mario; this won't be the IP to wrangle in new dedicated customers with dazzling HD visuals.

I cannot see anyone caring except for entrenched Nintendo fans, who will buy the console regardless just because.

The "casual" market that bought 30 million copies of NSMBWii is not going to care that this one is aesthetically identical. Conversely, the "hardcore" non-Nintendo fans won't care either way, because it's Mario; this won't be the IP to wrangle in new dedicated customers with dazzling HD visuals.

I cannot see anyone caring except for entrenched Nintendo fans, who will buy the console regardless just because.

Question is, do casuals buy ANOTHER Wii that looks and plays pretty much exactly like that game they've already played?

Sorry I meant to say 2D Mario. But still, it's not gonna move a lot more units just because it's prettier. Mario doesn't sell for the graphics, at least the 2D games.

And honestly, I'm disappointed at this news too.

I'm a bit young (21) to really comment on the 2D Marios relative to their graphical impact at the time. I can tell you I play SMW a lot and I'm constantly impressed by the art style. It holds up today. Infinitely more pleasing to the eye than NSMB or NSMBWii.

It might not add sales, but I don't care about that. I'm a player, not a stockholder. My expectations are set by the experience I want, not how Nintendo can squeeze the most profits. I want a game that at least looks as pleasing to the eye as World, and, in the perfect world, one that evolves that art style and blows me away.

Himself

Wow. Those screens from E3 2010 really drive the point home how incredibly dull the NSMB series is...and makes it hurt even more if that truly is how Nintendo is going to bring Mario to their next console. Its like 2D Mario games have become the muzak of the gaming world. Grow some fucking balls again Nintendo.

Honestly I'd probably rather go my Mii character in multiplayer than TOAD B etc. >_>

Why it couldn't just be the old 4 from Mario 2 I'll never know, lazy Nintendo is too lazy for Princess Peach physics.

I love the shit out of NSMB:Wii, I played it through twice (2 player and then 4 player) and had SOOOOOO much fun with it. But yeah.

AzaK

The whole "Based off of last years NSMB Mii" was a coverup by Nintendo after Miyamoto let it slip accidentally. Don't you guys worry, it will be Super Mario Universe.

Tookay

So what? If you were arguing this was a good business move, then fine. But I know what I like. I'm an entrenched Nintendo fan who will buy the console anyway. The NSMB style can go piss off.

Not sure where you're going by arguing a logical fallacy like the "appeal to the majority."

No one really is....
i think it's time to bet who will be the next baby character used in a spinoff.
Considering we've got Baby Wario & Daisy, I'd say Baby Waluigi is next. Maybe even Baby Yoshi.

Either way, I think most of us didn't wanted the HD debut of Mario to be based off NSMBMii, but at least we'll get Mario sooner than most thought. Hopefully it comes packed in the WiiU a la Wii Sports (or even pre-installed), it would act like a good tech demo and incentive to buy the console. Online multiplayer(like the local multiplayer), more boss variety, a better art direction, and a level creator wouldn't hurt; in fact that would make the package much more worth it if it goes retail. Let's hope for the best.

Nintendo has driven the mushroom kingdom setting into the ground - they need to switch it up with maybe a modern setting or Vietnam.

lenovox1

Question is, do casuals buy ANOTHER Wii that looks and plays pretty much exactly like that game they've already played?

Seeing how people started jumping on the 3DS's bones after two pillar Mario games released. . . Yeah, probably. And if it's not this, it'll be the "new" Mario Kart + this. Then the "new" Wii Whateverthefuck + Mario Kart + This. Then the new Just Dance: Rebecca Black + the "new" Wii Whateverthefuck + Mario Kart + This. Get it? This game doesn't live in a vacuum as far as what Nintendo can offer to the Soccer Moms and Younger and Older gamers of the world.

AzaK

Even Kirby's Epic Yarn, for all its snooze fest gameplay, has an incredible art direction.

Basically all of Nintendo's current 2D platformers have excellent art. Except fucking Super Mario Bros.

Yeah but what can you do with it, it's so established and sells 20 million each time it comes out. Why the hell would any company change that formula?

Can you really, with a straight face, say that the Wii U is just "another" Wii?

Can you really, with a straight face, say that the Wii U is just "another" Wii?

No, but that's the impression you give off if you launch with something so similar to NSMBWii as a first impression. I think you need to launch with a new game that looks better then the old games and shows off what the new touch screen can do.

watershed

Banned
I'm hoping for:

A new aesthetic
online multiplayer
a level editor
interesting uses for the tablet aside from "play with the tv off" or while someone else watches football.
A better soundtrack than NSMBwii which was okay but not memorable.

boiled goose

good with gravy

Wii Fit plus LTD < Wii Fit LTD
Wii sports resort LTD < Wii sports LTD
Nintendogs and cats < nintendogs
Brain training 2 < brain training
Mario Galaxy 2 < mario galaxy
Move < kinect

The casual market might not care about graphical fidelity, definitely cares about novelty.
Sure the game will sell, but it will not outsell the original and will not drive console sales as effectively.

kinggroin

Banned
This is bad news.

Simply giving us an HD expansion pack to the wii version, isnt going to be enough for me; so I hope that's not the case.

And what the hell happened to the more creative art style in the 2D series? Ever since the DS iteration, we've been stuck on this uncharacteristically generic replacement. The world objects are almost completely devoid of life, and feel more like the kind of assets you'd find using a stamp tool in a child's art application.

Top Bottom