• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo: new Super Mario for Wii U, Reveal at E3 [Update: Based On E3 2011 Game]

AniHawk

Absolutely. Too bad Galaxy isn't the one the consumers buy =(

galaxy doesn't have much going for it aside from looking and sounding pretty. it's an easy game with pacing problems that only gets somewhat difficult near the end.

that only relates to the first one though. and (especially!) 3d land if you want to include it.

but the first galaxy game is only second to sm64 in sales by about a million or so, and it has the ability to catch those sales in the next year or two.

galaxy doesn't have much going for it aside from looking and sounding pretty. it's an easy game with pacing problems that only gets somewhat difficult near the end.

that only relates to the first one though. and (especially!) 3d land if you want to include it.

And it has much more creative(if not necessarily better) variety and level design.

The 2Dish upside down gravity levels were even as good as much of New Super Mario Brothers' areas.

I won't definitely say it's the better game as I love 2D but the Galaxy games for me were way more exciting and fun because of the "gimmick".

I'd seen it all before what NSMB Wii brought but it still brought it.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Additionally, Nintendo is smart, they know they risk franchise fatigue if they put more than one 2D Mario on a console, it's the same reason they don't put out more than one Mario Kart per system. 2D Marios and Mario Kart sell the way they do because the more casual side of the gaming spectrum buy them, and that audience won't buy more than one 2D Mario and Mario Kart every four or five years.

3D Mario still prints money for Nintendo, just not as much as 2D Mario. Even still, since Nintendo can only put out one 2D Mario per generation they're walking away from money if they don't also make a 3D Mario (or two; 3D Marios sell to the more hardcore-oriented playerbase and thus even multiple releases per console can sell well.)

TheNatural

My Member!
I don't think Nintendo will necessarily replicate the NSMB Wii sales with this one, or that the series inherently has to sell better than the 3D ones. I think that happened because of Nintendo's marketing machine putting out there that "hey remember when Mario was a 2D platformer? hey we haven't had one on a console for like 20 years so here's one and right for the holidays!"

The novelty may have wore out. It's less about it being more popular and more about being something actually "New" at the time (no pun intender.)

Now it will probably sell off of it's long life as a probably launch game, but a 3D one would have too.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Additionally, Nintendo is smart, they know they risk franchise fatigue if they put more than one 2D Mario on a console, it's the same reason they don't put out more than one Mario Kart per system. 2D Marios and Mario Kart sell the way they do because the more casual side of the gaming spectrum buy them, and that audience won't buy more than one 2D Mario
The eighties is calling.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
I wish they would at least make it pseudo-3D in the same vein as Donkey Kong Country's rendering engine. Could look drop dead gorgeous leveraging the new hardware for super detailed 3D modeling with state of the art lighting blanketing the scenery.

Gravijah

I don't think Nintendo will necessarily replicate the NSMB Wii sales with this one, or that the series inherently has to sell better than the 3D ones. I think that happened because of Nintendo's marketing machine putting out there that "hey remember when Mario was a 2D platformer? hey we haven't had one on a console for like 20 years so here's one and right for the holidays!"

this one is also (likely) going to release early into the wii u's life.

I wish they would at least make it pseudo-3D in the same vein as Donkey Kong Country's rendering engine. Could look drop dead gorgeous leveraging the new hardware for super detailed 3D modeling with state of the art lighting blanketing the scenery.

return to dreamland looked so much better than nsmbw or dkcr. they should take inspiration from that game.

They should make the game look like Yoshi's Story.

That game had its problems but I liked the rubbery look, think that while it won't top Yoshi's Story's aesthetics, it could have more modern day appeal.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Both Galaxy games have had sales any publisher and developer in the industry would kill for. Just because something else sells better does not mean the other sold poorly. By this logic all games are bombs since Angry Birds has "sold" so much.

17 million across two games is some incredible stuff and shames even the biggest franchises this gen, with sparse exceptions including Call of Duty.

Those two Galaxy games have sold that many?

TheNatural

My Member!
Are both SMGs still sold at their original price?

The first is a player's choice game, the second is technically MSRP stil I think, but has had various retailer deals over the years I imagine. That's another thing, Nintendo's been an asshole with player's choice games this gen. You figured they would have axed the price for this past holiday to make some more money, but they didn't and now no one is going to give a fuck what goes budget because the Wii's last boom is gone.

Best multiplayer game this gen?

NSMB best multiplayer game this gen? I suppose you could argue it's the best local multiplayer game this gen, but for many people it's not even the best multiplayer game on the system let alone this generation...

NSMB art style is awful. When games in the same series from 20 years ago look better, you know it's time for a new angle.

TheNatural

My Member!
Actually when I think about it, that's probably why Nintendo made the NSMB Wii bundle for the holidays, and even had one in red a year before that. Trying to get people interested in the series where everyone who buys a system plays it, to attempt to cross it over for the Wii U.

Not sure that's necessarily going to work, but that's probably their logic.

bomma_man

The novelty may have wore out. It's less about it being more popular and more about being something actually "New" at the time (no pun intender.)

Now it will probably sell off of it's long life as a probably launch game, but a 3D one would have too.

The 2D games are a lot easier to get to grips with than the 3D ones. No camera to worry about, no difficulties with lining up 3D jumps on a 2D screen. They'll always be friendlier to inexperienced gamers, and the co-op family friendly nature of NSMBW can't really be done as well in a 3D game.

but the first galaxy game is only second to sm64 in sales by about a million or so, and it has the ability to catch those sales in the next year or two.
That's how I felt about Galaxy. I never saw all the hubub (sp?) about it. NSMBWii was far more enjoyable than Galaxy.

Linkhero1

If the art style has changed since then I will considering buying it at launch (if it's a launch title that is) otherwise I'll hold out until I get bored of anything else out for the system.

Y5dYE.gif

God I dislike the NSMB style. Hopefully it plays nothing like those abortions of games.

Do you hate good games? (NSMB Wii at least.)

Mdk7

i was expecting it, yet the update got me pretty disappointed.
Fuck, i wanted and evolution of Galaxy, not another NSM.

Anyone who said NSMB Mii was just a tech demo was fooling themselves. Yeah, it was probably just thrown together at the last second, but there's no way it wasn't going to turn into a real game.

I guess i can deal with it being a NSMB 2D game at launch since we will probably get an EAD Tokyo 3D game later on... but... the Miis IN the game? seriously? way to completely break the atmosphere!!

I mean what's next? Custom soundtracks? ugh :(((

Nintendo really needs to get away from recycling the same bland aesthetic for this franchise. The visuals in the NSMB games and SM3DL were already bland to begin with, and they've only gotten more boring with each new game that uses them. I'm usually down with retro visuals and fan service, but the NSMB series is embarrassingly literal about it. Nintendo could do so much more visually while still remaining true to the spirit of the originals.

upandaway

Uh, what the hell.

NSMBMii felt like a romhack. Galaxy 2 looked, sounded and animated super well, so what gives? Why are the sidescrollers so normal-looking? They sell way more than the Galaxies.

I don't know if I'll buy a NSMB if it's just NSMBWii with new levels and Miis. Honestly, I love Mario, but there's a limit to how lazy you can be.

Sardello

I really hate the New SuperMario Bros style.

First time seen on DS, and never changed... it's a shame they'll launch a "powerful console" with the same concept.

The Wii title was very funny in local multiplayer, but please Ninty, MOVE ON :_(

KILL NSMB WITH FIRE

Get something new going already! Must we have to hear BAH BAH for years to come?

Maybe they'll continue NSMB on Wii U and use the 3DS game as a launching pad for a new 2D Mario concept. One can only hope.

Triton55

Reposting this excerpt from the 3D Land Iwata Asks:

Tezuka said:
This game feels like a collaborative project with 2D Super Mario, so it introduces various devices and enemies from 2D Super Mario, as if to say, "This is how they look in 3D!" I feel like we are introducing something new to players of 2D Super Mario. I want to reflect what we gained from Super Mario 3D Land in the next 2D Super Mario game... I think we can get all kinds of ideas from what we used here and try to take them the other way into 2D Super Mario games

So Tezuka wants to bring the aspects of 3D Mario into a 2D Mario the same way that 3D Land did the reverse.

What 3D Land learned from sidescrollers:
-accessibility
-straightforward path
-stomping on enemies as primary attack
-(N)SMB(W) aesthetics/enemies/items

So what can NSMBMii learn from 3D Mario?
-overall depth?
-more creative level backdrops?
-64/SMS/SMG enemies + items?

and I'm sure others have more to add!

Mdk7

Because they're definitely never making a 3D Mario game for Wii U....

Having at launch a game like NSMB Mii is one thing, having something à la Mario 64/Galaxy is surely another... Even if i know that from a sales perspective NSMB Mii could have a lot more impact than Galaxy 3/Mario Universe/whatever.

What interests me the most about this is that it seems the changes from the E3 showing will be significant.

If we were getting pretty much exactly what we saw at E3, they'd probably say they're going to show off "New SMB Mii" which is what it was called at E3. But instead, they're saying it's a new game based on the E3 project.

Therefore, I'm pretty excited about this. But even if it isn't a significant change, I still really enjoyed New SMB Wii, so I won't fret.

Having at launch a game like NSMB Mii is one thing, having something à la Mario 64/Galaxy is surely another... Even if i know that from a sales perspective NSMB Mii could have a lot more impact than Galaxy 3/Mario Universe/whatever.

If you combine Super Mario Sunshine, Galaxy, and Galaxy 2 sales you end up with less than New Super Mario Bros. Wii.

If you combine Super Mario 64, Galaxy, and Galaxy 2 sales you end up with slightly less than New Super Mario Bros.

More perspective:

NSMBW has sold over double the life-time sales of the console Uncharted series.
NSMBW has sold more than all the console Zeldas since Ocarina (minus MM*) combined.
NWSBW has sold more than double the entire output of Retro Studios since Prime (minus Trilogy*)

*Couldn't find numbers.

one_kill

If this is the demo we saw last year, I'm greatly disappointed. I liked the NSMB style on the DS, but I thought the Wii sequel was bland.

that's true of nsmb, but nsmbw has the best level design of all 2d marios.
SMB3 and SMW both beat it pretty soundly imo. NSMB Wii pretty much represents the best distillation of the "original" SMB style though (SMB, SMB2/LL, NSMB etc.)

If this is the demo we saw last year, I'm greatly disappointed. I liked the NSMB style on the DS, but I thought the Wii sequel was bland.
Really? I find NSMB DS to be the most bland of them all. NSMB Wii felt like what the first one should have been.

Gravijah

SMB3 and SMW both beat it pretty soundly imo. NSMB Wii pretty much represents the best distillation of the "original" SMB style though (SMB, SMB2/LL, NSMB etc.)

what nsmbw has, imo, is the best physics in the series. just running and jumping around in the game is extremely fun.

AniHawk

"Mission Impossible 2 has the best cinematography"

no, see, i think if a platformer had to do any one thing great, it should be level design. nsmbw does that. smg doesn't. smg's more of a jack of all trades. it's the skyward sword of 3d mario games.

what nsmbw has, imo, is the best physics in the series. just running and jumping around in the game is extremely fun.
It did a good job, but in general the 2.5D Mario games don't feel as snappy to me as the sprite based games (with the exception of perhaps Super Mario Bros. and Lost Levels). NSMB Wii was definitely a damn sight better than its predecessor in that regard though. Well, in pretty much every regard really.

Fabrik

Banned
Disappointing. They really need a new artstyle or at least new environments (Desert, Snow, Beach are really stale). I think NSMBW offered everything that was possible in that style. If it's just a NSMBW HD I won't be buying it. I would be a missed opportunity. I want crazy level designs, rotating blocks, tempo-based levels and so on. I would be happy with more abstract backgrounds or heavily stylized. But I don't see how in one year they could make changes like that.

Top Bottom