• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo: new Super Mario for Wii U, Reveal at E3 [Update: Based On E3 2011 Game]

boiled goose

good with gravy

Log4Girlz

Oh I know why it is. Nintendo is nothing if not completely shameless when it comes to obtaining money, whatever the cheapest way possible to said money may be.

And it's not even the idea of Mario Mii's itself. Mario is always whored, and low-effort shit is par the course for launch windows. This is easy shit that Nintendo can put ten guys on and have the entire Nintendo community slogging it off and calling it a masterpiece for the cost of a dozen chicken nuggets. They know how to manipulate their fans. Chris Kohler is already writing three articles about the groundbreaking nature of this paradigm shift.

But man, it's bad enough I had to spend an entire generation looking at the hideous Mii's. Now they will follow for another generation, with every developer painfully shoehorning them in as that 'extra character' instead of, I don't know, designing an extra character with some real personality. I mean, shit, Mii's are so fucking lazy that all they really are is a head, not that this is particularly enlightening commentary. You're just really designing your head, because the body is mass producted two color shite that only Nintendo could love. Nintendo doesn't just cut corners in hardware, they cut corners in art design too. I kinda feel that when I see a Mii, it's also code for "this game is almost certain to be a shallow mini-game compilation of some sort mass produced for the casualtard set." Naturally there are exceptions, but not many.

This post is so much funnier as I had just eaten some chicken nuggets.

This is bad news.

Simply giving us an expansion pack to the wii version, isnt going to be enough for me; so I hope that's not the case.

And what the hell happened to the more creative art style in the 2D series? Ever since the DS iteration, we've been stuck on this uncharacteristically generic replacement. The world objects are almost completely devoid of life, and feel more like the kind of assets you'd find using a stamp tool in a child's art application.

3D Mario stole it from 2D Mario, along with better boss variety (despite Bowser) and everything. 2D wise, Yoshi's Island was the peak of boss battles for the Mario series, and it went downhill from there.

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
Oh I know why it is. Nintendo is nothing if not completely shameless when it comes to obtaining money, whatever the cheapest way possible to said money may be.

And it's not even the idea of Mario Mii's itself. Mario is always whored, and low-effort shit is par the course for launch windows. This is easy shit that Nintendo can put ten guys on and have the entire Nintendo community slogging it off and calling it a masterpiece for the cost of a dozen chicken nuggets. They know how to manipulate their fans. Chris Kohler is already writing three articles about the groundbreaking nature of this paradigm shift.

But man, it's bad enough I had to spend an entire generation looking at the hideous Mii's. Now they will follow for another generation, with every developer painfully shoehorning them in as that 'extra character' instead of, I don't know, designing an extra character with some real personality. I mean, shit, Mii's are so fucking lazy that all they really are is a head, not that this is particularly enlightening commentary. You're just really designing your head, because the body is mass producted two color shite that only Nintendo could love. Nintendo doesn't just cut corners in hardware, they cut corners in art design too. I kinda feel that when I see a Mii, it's also code for "this game is almost certain to be a shallow mini-game compilation of some sort mass produced for the casualtard set." Naturally there are exceptions, but not many.

ROFL. This post is all kinds of real talk. Literally laughed out loud to this one.

Neiteio

Best case scenario for Mario Mii is it's like Four Swords Adventures: Early build is dull, but final build is full of fanciful effects and nice shading. At least try to make it look nice, Nintendo.

Also, that Amir0x post is gold, Jerry, gold!

AzaK

No, but that's the impression you give off if you launch with something so similar to NSMBWii as a first impression. I think you need to launch with a new game that looks better then the old games and shows off what the new touch screen can do.

Oh I think they will, even if they do also do NSMB Wii. As much as I have no interest in 2D Mario it sells like nobody's business and if they added some extra Subscreen bits and pieces it could be enough to get people to jump on.

But yes, I want some hardcore shit from Nintendo to prove that they are serious about that market again.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
A lot can change between a tech demo and the final product.

Just look compare the Gamecube Zelda tech demo to Wind Waker, for example...

A lot can change between a tech demo and the final product.

Just look compare the Gamecube Zelda tech demo to Wind Waker, for example...

No! Didn't you hear? The Wii U game is 'based' off the tech demo, which means it will be exactly the same in every single way, except MAYBE more levels which means it will be a terrible blight on the gaming landscape and a horrible way to start HD development because I wasn't a fan of the last game(s) in the series!!

As somebody who really enjoyed NSMBWii, I'm looking forward to this. I really kind of hope they've ditched the gimmickier concepts of "NSMB Mii", and just make a solid sequel. I'm fine with that.

If they've fully reformed the game into "Super Mario 4", I'm VERY excited. I don't see Nintendo as the sort of company to use that sort of terminology lightly. They aren't Sega - they don't need to toss out the "4" to get the fans interested in a Sonic game again. Mario can be Mario, and I'll foam at the mouth for it.

4 means something big.

well gee I have a simple solution to this whole "this shit looks like shit and thank god they don't have some kind of new olfactory peripheral for Wii U because it would probably smell like shit too" conundrum:

I just won't buy the game. if that's all there is, I'll simply wait to jump in until some compelling software is released.

PROBLEM SOLVED, THE END.

well gee I have a simple solution to this whole "this shit looks like shit and thank god they don't have some kind of new olfactory peripheral for Wii U because it would probably smell like shit too" conundrum:

I just won't buy the game. if that's all there is, I'll simply wait to jump in until some compelling software is released.

PROBLEM SOLVED, THE END.

That creates a new problem:

What will GAF talk about now?

Medalion

Banned
real_mario.jpg

Maybe next console ol' friend

Teknoman

I've never seen a console Mario title where they just pulled an exact copy of what was done before, even with Mario Galaxy 2...so I really doubt it'll just be NSMB style with Miis. Lets tone things down till the reveal.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Hey, I'll bet my ass Nintendo will release a 'proper' Mario game like Super Mario Galaxy for the 'hardcore' audience for the WiiU. To most of you this may seem like a "cheap" game but hey, I think the actual masses out there digging this kind of stuff and as such it is perfectly understandable why the would take this route, especially since WiiU is still in the "will it be successful or not??" kind of phase.

I think people need to stop worrying too much.

ROFL. This post is all kinds of real talk. Literally laughed out loud to this one.

Yea I actually laughed too at that one :)

New Super Mario Bros. Wii is my favorite all time Mario game. I really disliked it when I saw it at E3. Having sucky Mii's in my Mario game is something I really hate. We'll see if I end up loving this one when it comes out.

I really want the Wii U to be some crazy awesome system. But keeping Mii's around and the very possible chance of using the Wii remotes another generation just really really sucks.

lmao. quality A post. If you did not laugh at this you have no soul.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
oh my god not you too

NOT YOU TOO

WHY? WHY?!
Because Donkey Kong Country Returns was the best 2D platformer I've played in a long time and they managed to incorporate the multiplayer mechanic much more organically than EAD 1 4 did. Besides, regurgitating the same ideas in the same cesspool for a long period of time is never a good approach at making entertainment (see Aonuma's Zelda).

Gravijah

Besides, regurgitating the same ideas in the same cesspool for a long period of time is never a good approach at making entertainment (see Aonuma's Zelda).

but we just received the best 3d zelda 5 or 6 years ago, only skyward sword and wind waker were weaker than their predecessors.

Tookay

No! Didn't you hear? The Wii U game is 'based' off the tech demo, which means it will be exactly the same in every single way, except MAYBE more levels which means it will be a terrible blight on the gaming landscape and a horrible way to start HD development because I wasn't a fan of the last game(s) in the series!!

Strawman alert.

As somebody who really enjoyed NSMBWii, I'm looking forward to this. I really kind of hope they've ditched the gimmickier concepts of "NSMB Mii", and just make a solid sequel. I'm fine with that.

If they've fully reformed the game into "Super Mario 4", I'm VERY excited. I don't see Nintendo as the sort of company to use that sort of terminology lightly. They aren't Sega - they don't need to toss out the "4" to get the fans interested in a Sonic game again. Mario can be Mario, and I'll foam at the mouth for it.

4 means something big.

They were probably just checking their asses legally and securing some names so others can't use it. I wouldn't take too much stock in the Super Mario 4 stuff.

(Besides, wouldn't it be Super Mario Bros 4?)

AntMurda

Because Donkey Kong Country Returns was the best 2D platformer I've played in a long time and they managed to incorporate the multiplayer mechanic much more organically than EAD 1 did. Besides, regurgitating the same ideas in the same cesspool for a long period of time is never a good approach at making entertainment (see Aonuma's Zelda).

EAD Kyoto 4 did NSMB. But you fault Zelda for regurgitating ideas, which it may or may not be a fault of sequels in general. For example Metroid Prime 3, boy was that a breath of fresh air. Or not.

Tookay

Replace Paper Mario with real Mario. Get rid of the weird ass squares and jibberish in the background. And damn that would look like a great 2D platforming base.

Are we talking graphically or actual mechanics? Because Super Paper Mario had horrible platforming.

Anth0ny

How does Wario fuckin' Shake It have a better art budget then a new Super Mario Bros game

NSMB sold like 10 quadrillion copies on DS. They decided to test their luck by using the same artstyle for a Wii NSMB. It sold another quadrillion copies.

In other words, they don't give a single fuck about the art budget when they're selling that many copies.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
but we just received the best 3d zelda 5 or 6 years ago, only skyward sword and wind waker were weaker than their predecessors.
It's not about whether you think one game is better or not than the previous one, but about each installment being a derivation of the previous ones and cranking them out in a relatively short period of time. TSA's post in that other thread encapsulates it:

While part of me doesn't like to wait for a new Zelda game, I've said for years now that I think the frequency of new releases is getting out of hand.

1986-2000 (little over 15 years):
The Legend of Zelda
The Adventure of Link
A Link to the Past
Link's Awakening (also DX revamp)
Ocarina of Time
Majora's Mask

*Does not include spin-offs like BS Zelda no Densetsu, BS Zelda no Densetsu: MAP2, BS Zelda no Densetsu: Inishie no Sekiban, Link: The Faces of Evil, Zelda: The Wand of Gamelon, Zelda's Adventure, or the LCD games (Game Watch, Game & Watch, Barcode Battler)

2001-2011 (roughly 10.5 years):
Oracle of Seasons
Oracle of Ages
The Wind Waker
Four Swords (with A Link to the Past revamp, also on DSiWare)
Four Swords Adventures
The Minish Cap
Twilight Princess
Phantom Hourglass
Spirit Tracks
Ocarina of Time 3D
Skyward Sword

*Does not include spin-offs like Freshly-Picked Tingle's Rosy Rupeeland, Tingle's Balloon Fight, Irozuki Tincle no Koi no Balloon Trip, Link's Crossbow Training, or Master Quest.

In roughly the past 10 years, we've had roughly double the amount of Zelda games released as in the previous 15 years before that. I do want things shaken up in terms of who's developing the next Zelda games for WiiU/3DS, but I also don't want them to rush things. I'm not sure if the OP was getting at creating two dedicates teams with two heads to get more Zelda's out, and possibly on a more fixed schedule, but I think that's a bad idea.
It's not on the level of Final Fantasy, but it still feels like franchise overkill. Let these teams do something different while avoiding franchise (and, by addendum, gameplay) fatigue.
EAD Kyoto 4 did NSMB. But you fault Zelda for regurgitating ideas, which it may or may not be a fault of sequels in general. For example Metroid Prime 3, boy was that a breath of fresh air. Or not.
You are right, my fault.

New Super Mario Bros. Wii is my favorite all time Mario game. I really disliked it when I saw it at E3. Having sucky Mii's in my Mario game is something I really hate. We'll see if I end up loving this one when it comes out.

I really want the Wii U to be some crazy awesome system. But keeping Mii's around and the very possible chance of using the Wii remotes another generation just really really sucks.

presumably you'd be using the tablet, only player(s) >1 would be using the Wiimotes

NSMB sold like 10 quadrillion copies on DS. They decided to test their luck by using the same artstyle for a Wii NSMB. It sold another quadrillion copies.

In other words, they don't give a single fuck about the art budget when they're selling that many copies.

I think they would care if it was the only Mario title in the company's plans but they have the 3D one to fall back on and prove they aren't lazy 100%.

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
The only Mario game I'd give a shit about was another collaboration between Square and Nintendo, and that's an RPG.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Absolutely. Too bad Galaxy isn't the one the consumers buy =(

Both Galaxy games have had sales any publisher and developer in the industry would kill for. Just because something else sells better does not mean the other sold poorly. By this logic all games are bombs since Angry Birds has "sold" so much.

17 million across two games is some incredible stuff and shames even the biggest franchises this gen, with sparse exceptions including Call of Duty.

Top Bottom