• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo: new Super Mario for Wii U, Reveal at E3 [Update: Based On E3 2011 Game]

Hiltz

I'll take your word for it, Krev.

I hope the game doesn't turn out to be a lazy rehash of New SMB with the Mii avatar, same bland graphics and mostly forgettable music.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Actually I was wrong EAD Tokyo #2 worked on SMG2, SM3DL, NPC: Donkey Kong Jungle Beat, and Flipnote Studio. EAD Tokyo #1 has just some digital work since SMG.
This is why a Koizumi directed 3D game seems very likely. They've been quiet a very long time.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
But what if the 3DS and WiiU versions have some cross functionality? Like you could play against or with someone on the 3DS if you have each others friend code.
It still wouldn't have the system selling power that a new exclusive Mario would have.
Wii U is getting a 3D Land port?
If you bought a 3DS for 3D Land and the new Mario is released on Wii U and 3DS, you won't need to go out and buy a Wii U to play the game.

Angry Fork

Super Mario 64 sequel with exploration, secrets, non-linear etc. = Wii U interest spiked.
Any other Mario = don't give a shit.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Guys, it's going to be a 3D Mario, you won't see the "shit" of last E3, don't worry.

Assuming it's 2D i'd like to see more inspiration taken from SMW as opposed to SMB3 for a change.

Or alternatively it just goes nuts and abandons the usual set up with the same old area themes and gets a bit further "out there" with stage themes, a bit like the Galaxy games in fact, that said I don't really expect such things. Anyway i'm looking forward to it.

Shion

I hope it looks nothing like the incredibly ugly version they showed last year...

EAD Tokyo team 2 (under Koichi Hayashida) developed SMG2 and 3D Land. Team 1 (under Yoshiaki Koizumi) hasn't put out a game since the first SMG.
Wait, isn't Koizumi at EAD Tokyo 2?

Pachimari

Title thread needs to be corrected

http://www.elmundo.es/elmundo/2012/04/16/navegante/1334559905.html

The original article talks about Super Mario, not SMB, so it's going to be a 3D entry. And I think it'll be like Galaxy: shown with the platform, but released one year later. This year is Mario 2D 3DS time, they can't compete with themselves.

I have already asked a mod..

And while the El Mundo interview said a new "Super Mario" game, the Nintendo person said a new "Super Mario Bros."

But I surely think, Nintendo are talking about a 3D Mario game.

Title thread needs to be corrected

http://www.elmundo.es/elmundo/2012/04/16/navegante/1334559905.html

The original article talks about Super Mario, not SMB, so it's going to be a 3D entry. And I think it'll be like Galaxy: shown with the platform, but released one year later. This year is Mario 2D 3DS time, they can't compete with themselves.

While I don't see how that confirms it will be a 3D title. I think it makes it more likely that it could be one. The 2D Mario did have a number of levels already made for the tech demo for E3 last year but perhaps they decided to put that on the back burner for the 3DS Mario and a 3D Mario. Hopefully with some major reworking because the 2D Mario shown at E3 last year was the aesthetically worst looking of the bunch. The Mii's made it even worse.

This is why a Koizumi directed 3D game seems very likely. They've been quite a very long time.
Could be pretty epic all things considered.

GCX

Guys, it's going to be a 3D Mario, you won't see the "shit" of last E3, don't worry.
You don't really know that, and neither does any of us. Besides all of Miyamoto's words has been translated from Japanese to Spanish to English so we shouldn't take anything too literally (like wether he said "new Mario game" or a "new super mario bros. game").

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Wait, isn't Koizumi at EAD Tokyo 2?
Welp, you're right. Just as producer.
I'm hoping he's directing another game at 1, like he did the original SMG, but that seems unlikely. But if not him, who else? And what have the team been doing for 5 years?

Pachimari

El Mundo interview which is translated from Japanese to Spanish to English says a new "Super Mario" game, while the Nintendo spokesperson says a new "Super Mario Bros." game, probably without thinking too much about the title.

Nintendo recently registered Super Mario 4, so it's probably that one for Wii U.

Thus' not a New Super Mario Bros. or a Super Mario Bros., but just a Super Mario lol.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Wasn't it even stated last year that the Mario game shown wasn't even a real game, or something?

Eh, also this, IIRC.
However, the reason why I think this is going to be a 3D Mario is because doing two 2D entries one after the other, with just one year of distance, isn't something Nintendo would do, IMHO.

Wasn't it even stated last year that the Mario game shown wasn't even a real game, or something?

They say that all the time though. For example they said all those Wii tech demoes weren't an actual game and then they got turned into Wii Sports/Wii Play. During DS initial reveal they said alot of the things shown were just tech demoes but they still ended up becoming real games such as Yoshi Touch & Go. The fact that they had several already designed levels with level/world labels such as 3-2 and had an engine running suggests they are working on a 2D Mario for Wii U.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
I don't get the hate for 2D or 3D, both have yield amazing Mario games, I wouldn't mind at all the perspective.

True, but 3DS is also getting a 2D Mario this year - so i dont need another one for WiiU.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
They say that all the time though. For example they said all those Wii tech demoes weren't an actual game and then they got turned into Wii Sports/Wii Play. During DS initial reveal they said alot of the things shown were just tech demoes but they still ended up becoming real games such as Yoshi Touch & Go. The fact that they had several already designed levels with level/world labels such as 3-2 and had an engine running suggests they are working on a 2D Mario for Wii U.
One possibility is that NSMB Mii has been converted into the 2D 3DS game so as not to clash with EAD Tokyo's 3D Mario.

Merovin

Might get it if they ditch the floaty controls.

Transfer Virtual Console games to Wii U for free or no sale. I MUST PRESERVE DEVIL'S CRUSH ON MY LAUNCH WII, NINTENDO. Pretty sure the number of VC games I own outweighs the cost of the Wii at this point.

This is a must, but I know it won't happen. :(

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I absolutely adore the Galaxy games, but I want a new sprite based 2D Mario game SO BAD. I hope they go that route.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
New Super Mario 3DS and Super Mario Wii U, some kind of game connectivity.

TheNatural

My Member!
They haven't said what it's going to be, but I think it's clearly going to be what they showed off last year the way Iwata and Miyamoto talked about it in an interview.

That kind of pisses me off, because they're not making a new style for the series, and there's already been two of these games. While the Mario-esque balance and platforming and level design is there like in any Mario game, I think it's totally lost it's charm with this style. The 3D in 2D graphics just doesn't have any charm for me, the abilities Mario picks up seem lame and generic compared to past ones.

I don't know. The challenge and balance is still Mario, but it's lost all it's charm and I think it needs a change up. And when you think about it, no Mario platformer series game has ever used the same style/environment three times.

Top Bottom