• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo: new Super Mario for Wii U, Reveal at E3 [Update: Based On E3 2011 Game]

Orayn

Wait for E3, it might be 3D.

I'm not holding my breath. Nintendo knows they can print money with bland level design, sub-par platforming, and art direction that looks like a Windows 98 shareware game, so I can see why they'd launch with a "safe" game like that instead of something wonderful, but less profitable like 3D Land or Galaxy.

orioto

Good Art™
I would like to believe it's going to be a 3D one with gorgeous universe or even a sidescroller with awesome graphics, but everything leads to a NMB WiiU like they showed... It's the Mario that sells the most, it's perfect to showcase its particular features (mini games, assymetric gameplay etc..) AND it's cheap and quick to develop. They can even re-use wii assets in HD.

DJIzana

This is amazing news for me!

I'd love to see a sequel to Mario 64 personally though, that or make a 3rd Super Mario World.

So far, Square Enix has support with the Wii U which I like (with Dragon Quest X) all I'm missing now... is Sega, for the majority of the games I enjoy, that console will hopefully be for me! =)

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
0 chance of happening, unless the game's for 3DS.
Well yeah, not with that attitude.

Watch: 1000% chance of happening! Oh shit! It's totally gonna happen, guys. My baseless speculation is the right baseless speculation.

Edit : I don't mean to come off as arrogant here. Just teasing.

GCX

Why is everyone drawing such a strong line between 2D and 3D Mario when Nintendo has been working hard trying to successfully blend them together. I remember Iwata saying in some Mario 3D Land Iwata Asks that it might be an interesting new beginning for the franchise.

Kyon

Banned
3D plz not here for that 2D mess unless its Paper Mario
sass1.gif

Grymm

Banned
New Super Mario 3DS and Super Mario Wii U, some kind of game connectivity.

It's so obvious there's no way it's not gonna happen. I'm betting they're essentially the same game developed at the same time for the same 2 screen setup sharing unlocks as long as you know each others friend code. And because costs were kept down I bet the WiiU version is packaged with the system.

fernoca

Wouldn't surprise me if they reveal a new 3D game but is released next year, New Super Mario Bros 3D is released this holiday season on the 3DS and New Super Mario Bros. Mii is the "Wii U pack-in".

Since the game it's (looks like at least) technically the same but with new stages and playable Miis, 2D Mario sold a ton of Wii and DS back then and it also sells the whole "stream to the controller" aspect of the Wii U easier than other games; while also selling the backward compatibility with Wii Remotes for multiplayer.

If I had to guess, this game is going to be similar Mario 64. Developed by the group behind the galaxy games. My launch list would be Wave U Race, F Zero Ultimate, Meroid Frozen Tundra, Pikmin 3 Miyamoto Backyard.

Ughh hopefully it doesn't look like the shit we saw last year.

A mario game on a hd console.
It must look glorious!!!! Especially if it's 2D

Again: pretty please with mushroom kingdom sugar on top: never ever let Miis be playable characters or even visitors in the real Mario games.

That shit wasn 't funny Nintendo.
And it looked horrible. But i'm sure you allready knew that

xandaca

I suspect everyone in the known universe could have seen this coming. Most likely it will be a 2D game, given how we've already seen NSMB Mii: Nintendo will want a launch game high profile enough to inspire new and long-term gamers alike to buy the console, but not so big as to overwhelm third party launch games, which will likely be the barometer by which other developers judge whether they'll be likely to have any success on the console. 3D Mario is also seen as being too complex to reliably attract newer gamers, whereas 2D platformers are more accessible and would likely have more success - especially if the second screen is used well, for something better than selecting items or superfluous tricks like Mario descending from one screen to the other for underground sections - in attracting the wider userbase without being offputting to the more traditional gamer.

I'm hoping that this Wii-U Mario is a new 3D platformer, like Mario 64 or Mario Sunshine. We're getting a 2D Mario for the 3DS, so another 2D Mario game shouldn't ship for both Wii-U and 3DS, unless they communicated together, which does seem like something Nintendo would do.

Also, I'm sad to see that 2D Mario for 3DS is due by end of financial year, April 2013. I thought it was supposed to be a fall 2012 title.

Who knows, they might wind up launching the WiiU with a proper Mario title. Cool prospect, and would probably generate at least decent sales at the start.

Floaty, imprecise controls. Doesn't feel like a Mario game as a result. Try playing SMB3 and NSMBW back-to-back. It hurts.

I'd be convinced that Japanese companies literally don't understand how the physics of their old platformers work at all, if it wasn't for Mega Man 9/10 being a thing.

kinggroin

Banned
New super Mario brothers series was fun, but easily the worst looking Mario game in respect to art style.

I'm hoping we see something a bit more organic in the same vein as Yoshi's Island.

Rootbeer

Banned
There is no way I'm not getting a Wii U, even if every developer other than Nintendo completely ignores it, I'll still be happy (but I'd be even happier if we got a Xenoblade Chronicles sequel on the Wii U)

bring on dat Mario 1080p

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
EAD Tokyo team 2 (under Koichi Hayashida) developed SMG2 and 3D Land. Team 1 (under Yoshiaki Koizumi) hasn't put out a game since the first SMG.

Oooh, that makes me excited. In Koizumi I trust.

botty

Banned
There is no way I'm not getting a Wii U, even if every developer other than Nintendo completely ignores it, I'll still be happy (but I'd be even happier if we got a Xenoblade Chronicles sequel on the Wii U)

bring on dat Mario 1080p

You can't ignore the market leader ;)

radcliff

Welp, you're right. Just as producer.
I'm hoping he's directing another game at 1, like he did the original SMG, but that seems unlikely. But if not him, who else? And what have the team been doing for 5 years?

Takao Shimizu (EAD Toyko 1) produced Galaxy 1. At that time, there was only 1 EAD Tokyo studio. Now there are 2. Yoshiaki Koizumi (EAD Tokyo 2) produced Galaxy 2. With the exception of collaborating with GREZZO on OOT 3D, EAD Tokyo 1 has not produced anything since Galaxy 1 in 2007. Wii U Mario is probably coming from this group, with the 3DS game by EAD 4 (the NSMB team).

Also, Iwata said the 3DS Mario game will release this fiscal year, not calendar year. Mario Wii U can release this year, and Mario 3DS Jan 1 - March 31 of next year.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Thank goodness.

This can now be considered good news then. Hype slowly commencing.

This guy knows nothing, its just hope at this point.

I would prefer a 3D game closer to Mario 64. Let me walk around the castle again!

When I think how beautiful Galaxy looks on the Wii, I can't help but get excited at the thought of a 3D Mario game in HD.

I need to start hoarding some cash ready for a Wii U and a bunch of games I think.

SUPER MARIO BROS. 4!

I love how Sony announces their E3 conference date, people get excited.

Microsoft announces their E3 conference date, people are ready.

Nintendo just goes:

"We're making a new Mario game..."

and the thread explodes. :p

Neiteio

We can't tell much of anything from the information available.

The story says "Super Mario Bros." This could mean any of the following:

1) The reporter is lazy and uses "Super Mario" and "Super Mario Bros" interchangeably, when in reality "Bros" titles are always 2D sidescrollers, and non-"Bros" are 3D. Until we confirm they explicitly said Bros., and that they understand the distinction, we can't say for sure whether we're dealing with 2D or 3D.

2) If it is in fact a "Bros" title, and is 2D as such, it could be a New Super Mario Bros title, or something else altogether. There was the NSMB Mii prototype shown at E3 2011; will they flesh out that prototype into a full-fledged game? (I hope not.)

It would've been great if the reporter had pushed for clarification: "Do you mean 'Bros.' as in a 2D sidescroller?" "Will this be related to the NSMB prototype shown last year?" It would've been worth a try.

Hopefully this is a full-blown 3D Mario adventure, ready for launch. I suspect they have every reason to want a Mario game at launch; they said the absence of such a title hurt the 3DS and they're in "impress investors at all costs" mode, so we'll see.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Won't be a launch game unless Mario 3DS / Wii U are the same game (which doesn't seem like Nintendo would do because that just means less overall sales). Mario at launch will destroy any 3rd parties. I think Nintendo will save it for Spring '13.

Top Bottom