• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo patched out my offensive Inkling gesture in MK8D

1449238064130.jpg

what the fuck am i looking at

Of course. People always are surprised that their gestures and body language are completely arbitrary and aren't universal, or that they're not the norm.

As one who was a linguistics major, this thread was somewhat entertaining.

newsguy

Funny, to me the gesture is dated. I grew up in the 80's and saw plenty of the "up yours" gestures thrown around. This was in Small town Georgia mind you. Nowadays I don't see it at all. Technology is ruining our opportunity to use body language as a method to tell people what pieces of shit they are. It's sad, and I miss it.

HardRojo

That's Ok in japanese too nowadays I'm pretty sure.

Money is more like this

Photo-46-500x375.jpg

Edit: The part about Brazil is wrong too lmao. Nowadays it's pretty much the Ok sign too, but it's also pretty close to the sign we use for "butthole", which can mean a lot of things
Can confirm 👌🏻 sideways means gay in Peru too. Also, I believe the gesture for gay (okama) in Japan is something like putting your open hand (with one finger touching the cheek) on your cheek and turning your heady sideways a little bit. At least that's what I remember from my Japanese classes from a few years ago, my Japanese teacher were a nice couple, a shame they had to go back to Japan :(

Edit: Well, double post.

I think we need y2kev's official input here to have a complete thread.

Nintendo always has the most interesting attention to detail. They patched this out, but does the Luigi Death Stare remain? You could be offended by that! Just imagine all the things he's saying to you silently through those eyes.

joecanada

I remember in the gulf war there was rumours that the Iraqi people would mirror the USA thumbs up but that it meant thumbs up your ass there but not sure if that was true .

This one though for fuck you , up yours or fist up your ass is pretty common. Especially if she does the whole gesture. If she's just flexing it's not really as clear .

ggx2ac

I remember in the gulf war there was rumours that the Iraqi people would mirror the USA thumbs up but that it meant thumbs up your ass there but not sure if that was true .

This one though for fuck you , up yours or fist up your ass is pretty common. Especially if she does the whole gesture. If she's just flexing it's not really as clear .

It's true.

https://www.languagetrainers.co.uk/blog/2015/06/09/the-top-10-hand-gestures-youd-better-get-right/

While Western culture has become used to the thumbs-up as a positive, informal signal, generally indicating a job well done (probably stemming from World War II pilots using the signal to communicate that they were “good to go” with ground crews), there are cultures where a thumbs-up may land you in trouble. In most of Latin America and West Africa, as well as Greece, Russia, Sardinia and the south of Italy, the thumbs-up basically means the same as the middle finger: “sit on it and swivel”. Also, it’s generally not recommended to use the thumbs-up around the Middle East as it’s pretty much the biggest insult out there – and even worse if you pull off the emphatic version with both hands – so no Fonzie impressions, please.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Holy crap how did that get in there in the first place?

That's an amazing gaffe, heh. I'm guessing that usage as an insult isn't widely known outside Europe then.

In Italy that gesture is basically the same as giving someone the middle finger. Heck, you can also combine the two gestures for maximum results.

ffvorax

Maybe it was offensive some years ago, but nowadays I don't see it used anymore actually here in Italy... lol at the update

Toxi

Banned
I'm surprised people don't recognize the bras d'honneur or know that it basically means "fuck you".

It's hilarious it actually made it into the game. Only way this would be better is if the Inkling flipped the bird as well.

eXistor

I mean, I know what it means, but it's obviously meant in the context of the game as "look at my biceps, I'm so strong" or whatever. What's just completely ridiculous to me is that people not only were offended by this, they actually complained and apparently so much that Nintendo had to alter the game in response?

eXistor

I live in Greece, I know what it means but I still wonder who would get offended, looks cute the way inklings do it.

Right? Anything is offensive to someone, especially these days. Are people really so fucking stupid (and I know the answer) that they can't think of a little thing called context? Luigi's pose in Mario Golf obviously doesn't mean to say "hey I'm a lesbian". Who the fuck would even think that? Apparently he's not even using the proper hand for that particular gesture, adding to my point that people are fucking stupid.

Lol the first time I saw it I couldn't believe it made past localization.
I mean, I know what it means, but it's obviously meant in the context of the game as "look at my biceps, I'm so strong" or whatever.
let me stop you right there. YOU (and me) know what it means in a different context and/or country, the parents of the kids who play MK8, and the kids themselves, don't.
Don't conflate your life experience with that of everyone else's.

-shadow-

Wait, what? Really? I'm not really seeing the issue here, I get that it might be offensive to some. But I don't think that the intention in a freaking Mario game was ever meant as an 'up yours'. How bizarre...

Orbis

Wait, what? Really? I'm not really seeing the issue here, I get that it might be offensive to some. But I don't think that the intention in a freaking Mario game was ever meant as an 'up yours'. How bizarre...
Now imagine if this was a middle finger. You surely have to see why they've done this; the risk of having the game re-rated in some regions, the alienation of parents who thought Mario Kart was completely inoffensive.

This gesture literally means the same as a middle finger in some places, I think some people here are really struggling to put their minds outside of their own culture.

It clearly wasn't meant in an 'up yours' sense, it wasn't meant to even be insulting. But they've​ done the right thing anyway.

ggx2ac

Now imagine if this was a middle finger. You surely have to see why they've done this; the risk of having the game re-rated in some regions, the alienation of parents who thought Mario Kart was completely inoffensive.

This gesture literally means the same as a middle finger in some places, I think some people here are really struggling to put their minds outside of their own culture.

It clearly wasn't meant in an 'up yours' sense, it wasn't meant to even be insulting. But they've​ done the right thing anyway.

I would have really enjoyed seeing Bowser give the "up yours" gesture in the US version of Super Mario RPG although I know it's actually meant to be the strength pose in Japan.

-shadow-

I'm not saying they've done the wrong thing here, don't get me wrong there. But I just find it weird that some might potentially get offended by seeing this in a Mario game. But best to prevent stuff from potentially creating a controversy over nothing.

eXistor

Lol the first time I saw it I couldn't believe it made past localization.

let me stop you right there. YOU (and me) know what it means in a different context and/or country, the parents of the kids who play MK8, and the kids themselves, don't.
Don't conflate your life experience with that of everyone else's.

Come on man, it's a videogame that's incredibly obviously aimed at kids. If you really think that these games purposefully try to offend then that's on you. I just cannot think of a scenario where anyone would see offense.

In the end I suppose you're probably right though, because people did get offended at a cute gesture in fun game for kids. Of course someone would think this character is actually saying "I want to shove my arm up your ass". Fuck this world sometimes.

*Splinter

was it patched out in every version or only international versions?

also, people make noise to patch this but not the atrocious item rates? not enough people mad at blue shells, red shells and double lightning being spammed endlessdly and 1st place getting coins 90% of the time?
Yes noone has ever complained about the blue shell. It's a completely undiscussed topic.

Par Score

I'm not saying they've done the wrong thing here, don't get me wrong there. But I just find it weird that some might potentially get offended by seeing this in a Mario game. But best to prevent stuff from potentially creating a controversy over nothing.
Come on man, it's a videogame that's incredibly obviously aimed at kids. If you really think that these games purposefully try to offend then that's on you. I just cannot think of a scenario where anyone would see offense.

In the end I suppose you're probably right though, because people did get offended at a cute gesture in fun game for kids. Of course someone would think this character is actually saying "I want to shove my arm up your ass". Fuck this world sometimes.

The gesture means up yours.

It is just as offensive as giving the middle finger. It is just as offensive as giving two fingers. Just not where you're from.

Are you so blinkered that you don't think this would have been patched out if the gesture was this?
124f74893554f9317ef90b2354aa31fc_upyours-up-yours-clipart_196-258.jpeg

Or this?
free_4021974.jpg

Are you honestly saying that yep, either of those gestures would be totally appropriate for a kids game? Are you that committed to your "free speech"/censorship/"outrage culture" agenda that you can't see the genuine issue here?

SilentRob

I know this as a "fuck you", akin to a middle finger. I'm from germany.

Example: Football player showing the sign to the fans of the opposing team, after which he got the red card:
Copy-20of-20-POL8089-1-.jpg

You probably wouldn't see a middle finger in Mario Kart either, so yeah, understandable ;)

Stupid change as the "fuck you" one is meant to be done with the arm infront of your body, and the strong biceps one on the side, like what inkling girl does.

And I say this as one of the countries where making it infront of your body means fuck you (Spain), but clearly everybody intelligent enough would understand making it on your side doesn't mean the same.

EDIT Seems more people than I thought never knew it meant to represent strength.

Top Bottom