• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo patched out my offensive Inkling gesture in MK8D

fhqwhgads

Nintendo is always cautious about using symbols/gestures. It's why Mario doesn't use the V for Victory/Peace symbol anymore due to it becoming associated with young girls and how doing it wouldn't make Mario tough or cool.

JaffeLion

Banned
what do you mean "your" gesture? Like you created or developed it? Or you are the only and first one to ever have used this gesture in mario kart 8?

free_4021974.jpg

Are you honestly saying that yep, either of those gestures would be totally appropriate for a kids game? Are you that committed to your "free speech"/censorship/"outrage culture" agenda that you can't see the genuine issue here?

Wait what.

The peace/victory gesture is offensive?

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.

Alx

Stupid change as the "fuck you" one is meant to be done with the arm infront of your body, and the strong biceps one on the side, like what inkling girl does.

And I say this as one of the countries where making it infront of your body means fuck you (Spain), but clearly everybody intelligent enough would understand making it on your side doesn't mean the same.

EDIT Seems more people than I thought never knew it meant to represent strength.

The French do it at an angle.

As a matter of fact it used to be a popular gesture among drivers, so you had to stretch your arm through your side window for others to see it. ^_^

Forkball

"Up Yours" immediately came to mind when I saw her do it. Oh well, I still have several saved replays and some screens.

Never Forget
C_Ke_5oUAAArzqM.jpg

Wulfric

I'm in the US and never heard of this gesture before. When I saw the pic I thought she was showing off her bicep. It's not unreasonable for this to be overlooked if only Kyoto and NOA worked on the game. Someone from inside the company must have noticed the issue before it had a chance to blow up online (in Europe at least).

Golnei

Wait what.

That's not what the gesture is, at least not when the hand is facing that direction. It's also something that's come up in regional content issues in the past -

news_img_23652_0.jpg

- the cover on the right was used for the UK to avoid those connotations.

nubbe

That's not what the gesture is, at least not when the hand is facing that direction. It's also something that's come up in regional content issues in the past -

news_img_23652_0.jpg

The UK won't be a problem anymore soon

"In Japan, this gesture stands for “money.” In France it means “zero” or “worthless.” In Venezuela and Turkey, gesturing to someone in this way implies that they are a homosexual. And in Brazil, the OK sign is the same as an Italian chin flick."

Source: googling different meanings of OK sign.

In arab countries it means a threat of beating. Like saying if you ever do this ill beat you.

Gold Member
that's... ominous

know something we don't?
Lol, didn't you hear? The island is about to sink into the Atlantic because of Brexit! Hope you have a dingy!

On topic, I'm surprised this made it into the game given its meaning in Europe. Can imagine lots of parents having interesting conversations trying to explain it to their kids lol.

Yarbskoo

I'm surprised at how many people aren't familiar with it. I've lived in the US my entire life and I've known it as "up yours" for as long as I can remember. Just looking at that wiki page above shows that it's been used in quite a few American movies as well. Maybe it's just fallen out of use since I was a kid.

I've only ever really seen the middle finger used here.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
I live in Sweden and I have never seen anyone use it here, but I definitely know about it (from movies etc). Not surprised about it being removed.

Atomski

In Japan its meaning is a lot different.

Just like doing this gesture is different in countries:
Wasn't this just recent though? I remember it being the sign for OK.. now all a sudden it means white power which was really wtf worthy for me. Like when the hell did that happen or have I been or have I just been clueless?

Wasn't this just recent though? I remember it being the sign for OK.. now all a sudden it means white power which was really wtf worthy for me. Like when the hell did that happen or have I been or have I just been clueless?

That one was a hoax that spread.

Shang

rosie-riveter-1.jpg

b-but

Nintendo is always cautious about using symbols/gestures. It's why Mario doesn't use the V for Victory/Peace symbol anymore due to it becoming associated with young girls and how doing it wouldn't make Mario tough or cool.

also this is dumb, let mario be a little feminine, why not?

-shadow-

Are you honestly saying that yep, either of those gestures would be totally appropriate for a kids game? Are you that committed to your "free speech"/censorship/"outrage culture" agenda that you can't see the genuine issue here?

No? Be free to read whatever you read, but don't start accusing me of saying I'm spreading that culture here.

I thought NoE had its own localisation team since the "spastic" incident

They've had for ages, but NOE's localisation was reduced significantly when they started cutting jobs.

Alva

I didn't knew the game had this gesture, here in France It's pretty offensive. It's less used nowadays but you wouldn't want kids to randomly imitate this, you would only end up with bad press.

Patch note also talk about increased iframes in online matches, any thoughts on this ?

Something which surprised me is how fast the update was to install. When I went to play during lunch it prompted me to restart the game and the update was already there without any downtime before restart.

Roitorb

news_img_23652_0.jpg

It is also a really old gesture. When archers were caught they would have there draw fingers cut off. The sign then was then used to take the piss that they didn't have there fingers left. I think it was between the English and French.

JRBechard

Speaking of offensive, the Kotaku article about this featured this artwork; Why the heck does this Blooper have a mouth??? This is not right

ZfI9VsJ.jpg

Sami+

Damn, I knew it was insulting but not that harsh. I liked that Inkling Girl was kinda abrasive though, part of why I play as her lol. The patched version doesn't have as much attitude.

In Japan its meaning is a lot different.

Just like doing this gesture is different in countries:

Oooooo what's the meaning of this one? I know in America it basically means "nice" and if you turn it sideways it means "you're about to get spanked" in Syria (got that one from mom a lot as a kid 😶) but I don't know any others.

Joey Ravn

Banned
rosie-riveter-1.jpg

b-but

also this is dumb, let mario be a little feminine, why not?

You realize Rosie the Riveter is actually rolling up her sleeve, in sign of getting herself ready to do manual/physical work? The offensive gesture is done by putting the open palm of your hand on your biceps. There's a clear difference, b-but you chose to ignore it *shrugs*

Bert

It is also a really old gesture. When archers were caught they would have there draw fingers cut off. The sign then was then used to take the piss that they didn't have there fingers left. I think it was between the English and French.

Pretty sure this is a myth, and the myth it the opposite. It was used to show you did still have your fingers. But there's no evidence for it.

V signs are often considered rude, usually because it's related to vaginas, same as single fingers or thumbs often mean penises. Same as 'O's sometimes mean arseholes.

Lockless

Wait what.

Shown this way round with the back of the hand it is definitely offensive in the UK and presumably France due to its origins. Exactly the same as a middle finger, it means fuck you. So it's pretty fair that Nintendo doesn't want it in a kids game where they will mimic their favourite character.

PtM

Banned
Shown this way round with the back of the hand it is definitely offensive in the UK and presumably France due to its origins. Exactly the same as a middle finger, it means fuck you. So it's pretty fair that Nintendo doesn't want it in a kids game where they will mimic their favourite character.
Margaret Thatcher once flipped off the whole nation. It was a Jack-Tretton-mic-drop moment.

Top Bottom