• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Patent Application - Handheld (or controller?) featuring a free-form display

Even if they are, it seems they already have Square-Enix convinced so at least as we have been hearing the architecture will most likely be easy to port/easy to develop for to get Third Party back. This patent is for the handheld correct? I wonder how they will get those games playable on the home console if these games will be able to work on both?

Yeah, it seems like SE is on board, or Yuji Horii is at least. I tried to clarify that they weren't just going for super casual cell phone gamers in my other post. I envision they are trying to make it like Wii/DS, where they had a few different demographics on the platform. Remember, they are hoping for a "big hit" with NX. Swinging for the fences indeed.

So, with games working on both, we had been talking about things like a common CPU architecture, a common OS, and support for popular game engines like Unity and UE4. I still think that will pretty much be the case, but that cloud gaming patent was a bit of a curveball. I don't know anymore, but I do find it very intriguing to say the least.

I think it is saying that the button 110 can be pressed without the user's finger leaving the stick 118b, just by reaching a little.

It'd be awfully confusing if the touch screen buttons meant "press the touch screen" or "press the thumbstick" depending on some small ui change. It is still possible, but changing contextually what the stick itself does seems to go against the idea.

If you check figure 13, you will see how they are labeling the push on the sticks.

Let's hope you are right, but right now the info we have says they really like touchscreen buttons that can be changed on the fly.

I think that it would be very confusing too. I don't think they will have bot virtual and clickable sticks at the same time. A game like Metroid Prime would use both analogue sticks to view and move, should buttons to fire, and virtual button for everything else. A game like super mario would use a stick as a d pad, and the other stick as buttons, nut without virtual buttons.

They are tilt sticks, at least in the part I just read.

I'm interested in these being used as primary button inputs, I don't see why they couldn't be, I guess Valve has come closest to this so far.

But if the sticks are too high, then you will not be able to use it as a buttons or have virtual buttons as shown in the patent.

And they'll likely be fine with the devices on which they've been playing games with touchscreen controls, without the need for a dedicated gaming device. From the perspective of a consumer who isn't engaged enough with gaming to buy a dedicated game console, there's nothing in this patent that would compel them to change their mind, simplified controls and all. If Nintendo thinks they will attract some of that audience by opting for a controller with a smartphone-like control scheme at the expense of basic physical inputs, then they've learned absolutely nothing from the Wii U's failure.

Besides, touch controls work somewhat adequately on smartphones and tablets because the user is focused on the display, which allows them to gauge the position of their fingers through their peripheral vision and use the on-screen inputs fairly accurately. However, if the user's main focus is a TV screen, it becomes a lot harder to feel out where your thumbs are situated on a flat surface, even with some basic haptic feedback.

Whether they can successfully lure more casual players will depend on a variety of factors, including software, pricing, and marketing. The screen is certainly novel, though, and invites the user to take a closer look. Having an input method which pretty much everyone is used to now doesn't hurt either.

It remains to be seen if this is for the handheld, the home console controller, or if those two are actually one in the same. For the home console, the display wouldn't be as useful, but it does have uses, as with Wii U. We'll see if they can nail the pricing down this time.

My thoughts exactly. I think there's at least a chance Nintendo would be considering this sort of thing.

I also don't think the oval shape of the screen is indicative of a final design. Just a hunch.

I think the oval shape is one of the claims, no? That might end up staying. Btw, does it mention a reason for the bottom of the screen being a straight line while the top is curved? Maybe they are planning on sticking some buttons down there or something...

nexthandheld_zelda3bs5x.png

nexthandheld_kartmpsl9.png

nexthandheld_metroidmysd7.png

Quoting for new page

I realize another interesting thing they can do is to add little screens on/under the buttons itself, much like the Optimus Maximus keyboard:

At least, providing control indicators besides buttons would be a boon for many players, especially casuals, who would be otherwise be intimidated by many buttons, by providing them simple one or two word descriptions that would immediately inform them of what each button does.

I'm honestly surprised that Nintendo are heavily considering the route that many of us predicted in the sharp free-form screen thread, but I'm not disappointed. I'm sure if they actually do it, Nintendo will do it in a way that doesn't compromise the hardcore experience. Hell, if they actually take advantage of the possibilities, they could even enhance it.

But if the sticks are too high, then you will not be able to use it as a buttons or have virtual buttons as shown in the patent.

I guess. You can comfortably press dpad down and stick up at once on the vita, so I don't think that's a problem.

I'm honestly surprised that Nintendo are heavily considering the route that many of us predicted in the sharp free-form screen thread, but I'm not disappointed. I'm sure if they actually do it, Nintendo will do it in a way that doesn't compromise the hardcore experience. Hell, if they actually take advantage of the possibilities, they could even enhance it.

I don't think it's that surprising when the alternative prediction was
a ' donut shaped screen'. But I'm happy that they're at least considering a super-wide aspect screen as I always wanted one of those and allows for a 16:9ish region between the thumbs.

Yuck. No way would I want sticks in the screen.

Sorry man :p

stickvvs8g.png

Specifically, as shown also in FIG. 2, the first operation stick 18a and the second operation stick 18b are provided to be embedded in the display panel 14 and the touch panel 16. As described later, since the display panel 14 is almost the same as the form and the size of the first portion 12a of the housing 12 when viewing from the front, and the display panel 14 is formed with the holes 32 for embedding the operation sticks (18a, 18b) only, it is possible to use almost all areas except the area that the holes 32 are provided as a display area.

As shown in FIG. 2, in this embodiment, the first operation stick 18a is a hardware operation unit, and includes a key top portion 1800, a shaft portion 1802 and a detection portion 1804. Briefly describing, the display panel 14 and the touch panel 16 are formed with the hole 32 that penetrates them, and the first operation stick 18a is provided in a manner that the shaft portion 1802 passes the hole 32. That is, the first operation stick 18a is provided so as to project from the rear side to the front side of the display panel 14 and the touch panel 16. Therefore, the first operation stick 18a is surrounded by the display panel 14. When viewing the information processing apparatus 10 (housing 12) from the front, the key top (operation portion) of the first operation stick 18a is embedded within the display area of the display panel 14.

The_Lump

Banned
I think the oval shape is one of the claims, no? That might end up staying. Btw, does it mention a reason for the bottom of the screen being a straight line while the top is curved? Maybe they are planning on sticking some buttons down there or something...

They mention "oblong". Which in common English at least is basically a Rectangle, but can also mean an ovaloid or any other variation where the length is greater than width. It is non-limiting though so I still think shape is completely open (there are details in the patent itself, FIG 6C. through the link, which show bottom right and left corners being cut off completely to make a lose sort of 'mushroom' shape)
Don't think it mentions a reason for the flat edge, no. I also think its a space for 'Home' buttons etc, but again I don;t think the patent nails down the shape or form at all.

They mention "oblong". Which in common English at least is basically a Rectangle, but can also mean an ovaloid or any other variation where the length is greater than width. It is non-limiting though so I still think shape is completely open (there are details in the patent itself, FIG 6C. through the link, which show bottom right and left corners being cut off completely to make a lose sort of 'mushroom' shape)

Don't think it mentions a reason for the flat edge, no. I also think its a space for 'Home' buttons etc, but again I don;t think the patent nails down the shape or form at all.

The flat edge houses a series of backlights, it said somewhere. I guess there could be alternatives but that might be the cheapest way to do it. But it would be a good place to house home buttons, camera or whatever too.
I wonder how difficut it is to make a consistently bright backlit screen when it's an unconventional shape with holes in...

NahaNago

I just can't visualize how this would work.

if were going by those pictures just visualize yourself playing games on your cellphone your fingers cover up parts of the screen anyways so this honestly just puts buttons where your thumbs would be.

Zubz

Banned
I love the idea of this controller, but I'm not a fan of my hands covering any part of the screen. That just seems like it'd get distracting.

I don't think it's that surprising when the alternative prediction was
a ' donut shaped screen'. But I'm happy that they're at least considering a super-wide aspect screen as I always wanted one of those and allows for a 16:9ish region between the thumbs.

Yeah, they could also fill the control area with 'borders' as well, depending on how much effort the dev would want to put into it, which would basically retain the 16:9 resolution rendering, and alleviate concerns about covering important parts of the screen.

Yeah, they could also fill the control area with 'borders' as well, depending on how much effort the dev would want to put into it, which would basically retain the 16:9 resolution rendering, and alleviate concerns about covering important parts of the screen.

I think the patent mentions dividing up the screen like that too, would be good for emulation among other things, super gb-like.

Hopefully that one will just stay in the drawer as a concept.

Hehe

I love the idea of this controller, but I'm not a fan of my hands covering any part of the screen. That just seems like it'd get distracting.

control_whandsz2s31.png

Depends on the game I guess but really, how often do the screen's edges contain vital/critical gameplay information?

Don't get me wrong, covering the screen with my hands (e.g in mobile gaming) is something I really hate, but I'm wondering if this is something that could somehow work/doesn't suck as much.

If they're going with something like this and using clicky sticks as buttons, they need to make the sticks concave imo or at least put the grips back on like they had on N64/GCN. And if there's no dpad, they should return to the octagonal shape for the stick holes.

The_Lump

Banned
That's the exact reason I made them.

To better visualize how this would look if it ever materialized in this form.

...which is going to lead to much insightful and reasoned discussion by people who have thoroughly read and understood the patent.

jk, always fun to see a mock up ;)

We all know patent drawings never look good, so I'm sure it could look good, but I think it's going to be a Wii U/gamepad situation all over again. They are going to have to dump a rediculous amount of money per unit, and even then, it's going to be just enough to make it work, but not enough to make it actually appealing.

I think that right now they really need to look at cheap tech to innovate. I'm still really hoping they use the scroll wheel shoulder button concept.

NahaNago

i think the reason for the oval shape is to make it easier to press the shoulder buttons. I was experimenting with my note 2 and found that without my imaginary handles on the bottom i would be able to press the shoulder buttons with ease but with them i could barely even reach them. I think instead of adding those handles on the bottom they should just curve the back somehow to make it easier to grip.

KingBroly

Banned
Yeah, it seems like SE is on board, or Yuji Horii is at least. I tried to clarify that they weren't just going for super casual cell phone gamers in my other post. I envision they are trying to make it like Wii/DS, where they had a few different demographics on the platform. Remember, they are hoping for a "big hit" with NX. Swinging for the fences indeed.

So, with games working on both, we had been talking about things like a common CPU architecture, a common OS, and support for popular game engines like Unity and UE4. I still think that will pretty much be the case, but that cloud gaming patent was a bit of a curveball. I don't know anymore, but I do find it very intriguing to say the least.

Well they did say they had interest in putting FF14 on there depending on their cross-platform play stance (which, as far as I know is an A-okay).

I think Square's not so silent but oh-so-obvious stepping away from Microsoft over the past 6 months makes me believe that they're on board with NX as well. Not to mention that the last ND had lots of Square Enix stuff in there.

If they're going with something like this and using clicky sticks as buttons, they need to make the sticks concave imo or at least put the grips back on like they had on N64/GCN. And if there's no dpad, they should return to the octagonal shape for the stick holes.

Octagonal stick holes are definitely a necessity if no dpad. I'd prefer them on all controllers, but, especially if there's no dpad.

I'm excited by the possibilities that these patents present. I'm not sure how I feel about no regular face buttons, but I love the interplay between touch input and press-able sticks. It seems more intuitive with the closer "button" placement. We'll just have to wait and see what Nintendo comes up with.

Edit: Ah, yes, and the wheel shoulder buttons. Hopefully they use those, too, because they present new opportunities without being too obtuse.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood

Good work but imo those are like the worst things ever, not only for the obvious hands on the screen and presence of just two buttons but also because with that really wide screen you can barely see anything, in mario kart you can see some road just because the visual is rotated, in zelda everything is minuscule and if it was closer you could barely see what's in front of you with a close Link at the center and in that fps(metroid?) you can barely see what's really close to you, something close that's tall or flying wouldn't be entirely visibile on that screen.
All of this without the hud.

A so wide ratio is supposed to be good for third and first person games(imo it's not but in any case what about all the rest?), but in those games you need two analogs just to move and rotate the camera, how complex those games can be with just 2 buttons? How good can be playing a complex and fast game pressing virtual buttons that cover the action?

Guess I'm in the minority in thinking it looks real cool.

I'm doubting they would go with such a rounded shape but it seems like a neat idea.

finalflame

Gold Member
ITT: People with no industrial design experience making mockups of things they don't fully understand and thinking Nintendo's teams of seasoned engineers and designers will make something that looks just like what they made in Illustrator in an hour.

NeoGAF™

Good work but imo those are like the worst things ever, not only for the obvious hands on the screen and presence of just two buttons but also because with that really wide screen you can barely see anything, in mario kart you can see some road just because the visual is rotated, in zelda everything is minuscule and if it was closer you could barely see what's in front of you with a close Link at the center and in that fps(metroid?) you can barely see what's really close to you, something close that's tall or flying wouldn't be entirely visibile on that screen.
All of this without the hud.

You're getting misled with those zoomed-in, narrow-FOV shots he's chosen to demonstrate it. Imagine drawing a standard 4:3 screen in between those sticks, then imagine extending the view to the sides so the extra space shows more of the world.

Sort of like this:

King_Moc

Banned
They aren't going to have sticks on the screen. A lack of screen resolution has been a problem for them for the last two gens, they aren't going to have you covering up a big chunk of the screen with your fingers and wasting pixels.

Or maybe they will. They've done some odd things recently.

ito007

Exactly. If they do something like this they're going to be smart about it. They are obviously going to make it so the standard and payable screen has an unobstructed view while everything else that could be potentially blocked by your hands is just extra

Dear Nintendo,

I just want the NX to be a powerful console with no gimmicks, a traditional controller and great games like Metroid Prime and Mario Sunshine... you know, just like back in the good old GameCube days.

/Thanks!

Davey Cakes

Dear Nintendo,

I just want the NX to be a powerful console with no gimmicks, a traditional controller and great games like Metroid Prime and Mario Sunshine... you know, just like back in the good old GameCube days.

/Thanks!
That's a really tired desire at this point, honestly. You're not going to get what you want.

Just expect something that's fresh, or attempts to be fresh. The days of traditional Nintendo consoles are over.

It's always a bit disconcerting that so many people just want to keep things a single, uniform standard, even over the course of many years as technology advances and diversifies. Open your mind to the possibilities!

The_Lump

Banned
What's the point of having the sticks sticking out of the screen?

There would be no point to that. They aren't setting out to shove sticks in the middle of a screen. It looks like they're setting out to extend your screen around your tactile control surfaces.

What's the point of having the sticks sticking out of the screen?

Smaller form factor with same screen size or bigger screen size with same form factor.

If you push the sticks to the edges your thumbs will not cover that much of screen.

Plus you can have virtual buttons around the sticks.

Schnozberry

The final retail product isn't beholden to the form listed in the patent whatsoever. Neither are the number of sticks and buttons. It could end end up being a larger version of the PS4 Trackpad that allows you to interact with useful information on your controller. People are always demanding a less obstructive HUD and better inventory management in all kinds of games. This would certainly offer a much more intriguing way to accomplish that while not sacrificing much from what people love about gamepads.

King_Moc

Banned
That's a really tired desire at this point, honestly. You're not going to get what you want.

Just expect something that's fresh, or attempts to be fresh. The days of traditional Nintendo consoles are over.

It's always a bit disconcerting that so many people just want to keep things a single, uniform standard, even over the course of many years as technology advances and diversifies. Open your mind to the possibilities!

They can probably match the PS4 for power, it just depends on how much of a profit they were planning on making per console. If they're thinking that bombing again is a real possibility then they probably need to be making money on the console.

I just want to be able to play in 1080p. Its a real shame having their amazing art design partly ruined through upscaling.

Nanashrew

Banned
This will be in a state of flux. I imagine the oval screen will change a lot, they could keep the round edges for ease of access to the shoulder buttons, but change the center to encompass more screen from top to bottom.

Example that the Pokken controller has this shape for the center.

Schnozberry

Their not gimmicks, they are New Ways To Play. Nintendo states this. Don't know why people think Nintendo has 'gimmicks'.

Because anything that deviates from dual analogs connected to a powerful piano black set top box is heresy and punishable by death.

Anth0ny

I opened my mind to the possibilities of the wii u and they presented me with fuck all

the great wii u games were great in spite of the gamepad, not because of it. and before you bring up mario maker, I really didn't care for mario maker.

this free form display gimmick looks like the dumbest gimmick they've ever come up with, assuming it's real.

King_Moc

Banned
Because anything that deviates from dual analogs connected to a powerful piano black set top box is heresy and punishable by death.

Its a really silly attitude to have. Everything met their definition of gimmick once. Would they have been saying the same thing when Nintendo brought in the d-pad or analogue stick?

Top Bottom