• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Patent Application - Handheld (or controller?) featuring a free-form display

Nanashrew

Banned
I opened my mind to the possibilities of the wii u and they presented me with fuck all

the great wii u games were great in spite of the gamepad, not because of it. and before you bring up mario maker, I really didn't care for mario maker.

this free form display gimmick looks like the dumbest gimmick they've ever come up with, assuming it's real.

I see it less of a gimmick and actually continuing and possibly even trying to standardize screens in their systems so that the games that did use it are compatible with future hardware going forward through BC or VC. We don't even know of what all it will have, this patent is only talking about ways it could be utilized and little else.

You're getting misled with those zoomed-in, narrow-FOV shots he's chosen to demonstrate it. Imagine drawing a standard 4:3 screen in between those sticks, then imagine extending the view to the sides so the extra space shows more of the world.

Sort of like this:

That's the sort of thing I'm thinking of, really - the main 16:9 section in the middle, with the outer margins being where the controls are, so you get extra FOV with thumbs covering a bit of that, but not enough space to be an actual problem.

Anth0ny

You're getting misled with those zoomed-in, narrow-FOV shots he's chosen to demonstrate it. Imagine drawing a standard 4:3 screen in between those sticks, then imagine extending the view to the sides so the extra space shows more of the world.

Sort of like this:

but that's still a waste of resources if your hands are going to be covering that portion of the screen

it also sounds expensive for little/no gain

The_Lump

Banned
The final retail product isn't beholden to the form listed in the patent whatsoever. Neither are the number of sticks and buttons. It could end end up being a larger version of the PS4 Trackpad that allows you to interact with useful information on your controller. People are always demanding a less obstructive HUD and better inventory management in all kinds of games. This would certainly offer a much more intriguing way to accomplish that while not sacrificing much from what people love about gamepads.

Exactly. Only where the patent explicitly states so. What Fourth was querying was whether the flat edge was or not. It is only mentioned as a source of backlighting (or something like that?)

the TMO

Go Go NX Man!
nxman.gif

That's a really tired desire at this point, honestly. You're not going to get what you want.

Just expect something that's fresh, or attempts to be fresh. The days of traditional Nintendo consoles are over.

It's always a bit disconcerting that so many people just want to keep things a single, uniform standard, even over the course of many years as technology advances and diversifies. Open your mind to the possibilities!

I don't want anything "fresh". I just want the good old stuff because they work. Motion controls, touch interface, virtual reality etc don't. They plain out right suck!

If I don't get what I want, Nintendo ain't getting my money... and they haven't since the GC days because of gimmicks and lack of graphical power.

virtualS

I believe this is similar to what will become of the handheld / controller of the NX pair.

Looks awesome, although I'm hoping for a few extra physical buttons. I think it will be a winner so long as the console part of the package has PS4 level graphical capability; easily accomplished today.

Nanashrew

Banned
Motion controls are better than the archaic twin stick :p

I love the gyro in the gamepad and I really hope they continue with it in all controllers going forward. It is genuinely hard to go back to twinstick.

The_Lump

Banned
but that's still a waste of resources if your hands are going to be covering that portion of the screen

You're reading to much into it. It's a concept that has been patented, not a complete product.

Check the bottom image for example:

Not covering anything with thumbs, but extra screen space up top. (Again this exact set up might be of limited use, but just using it to make a point that we have no idea how they'll use this patent)

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood

Sort of like this:

Yes you are absolutely right, but there's another thing to consider, if you do what you say while extending the size of the tv or screen(widen the screen while keeping the height constant) there are only advantages, but if you don't change the inches of the tv or screen the screen height would be smaller meaning that everything would look smaller, while this doesn't affect a big screen that much consider that we are talking about a sort of wider gamepad...

The_Lump

Banned
Yes you are absolutely right, but there's another thing to consider, if you do what you say while extending the size of the tv or screen(widen the screen while keeping the height constant) there are only advantages, but if you don't change the inches of the tv or screen the screen height would be smaller meaning that everything would look smaller, while this doesn't affect a big screen that much consider that we are talking about a sort of wider gamepad...

Patent mentions a 16:9 display within an oblong as an example. My guess is they've thought of this ;)

Schnozberry

Then those same people realized they really didn't care about videogames and moved on. See Wii u

It's like we're all agreeing to miss the point. Nintendo is trying to get those people back into dedicated gaming devices by innovating new ways to play and interact with software. It has to be novel enough that it will draw new fans into the hobby. A lot of people find dual analogs and intense gaming to be a huge turnoff. Those people moved on to mobile gaming via tablets and phones. How do you draw those people back in? You might be able to make a strong case that they will never come back, but Nintendo doesn't agree and so they are plowing forwards with their new ideas.

There's literally no point in Nintendo racing out a new box that matches or exceeds the power of the PS4 and Xbox One with a dual analog controller. It will sit on shelves just like the Wii U and Gamecube did, because that market is only so large, and the other players have already captured it. Nintendo has to either grow the gaming market by bringing more people in, or they are on they're way out of the hardware business.

Nope. Just display the content in the middle.
Wouldn't that be tiny? Depends on what size they are going for.
I do wonder if this is the controller or the new portable.
I'd hope they'd go for something cheaper for the next system's controller. I love the gamepad but that's way too expensive bogging down the price and specs of the system
Skyward Sword doesn't play like that.

Nanashrew

Banned
I think dual analog is is going to stay because of so many generations who have used it and grown accustomed to it. However, Nintendo will look at avenues that reduce the use of the second stick if they feel up to it like Splatoon. I actually wouldn't mind if gyro became an option in more games, to free up my thumb from the second stick.

Arkam

Why? You get dynamic inputs. Not only input icons that can change but as detailed in the patent the "help" and high light of inputs. That could be very useful in many games. You get an item in MK the item button become the item. You get a mail in an RPG and the input that checks mail gets a "1" icon next too it like an iOS icon.
So many really cool ideas could be done. I am more excited for the possibilities than scared by the idea of losing the norm.

Schnozberry

Exactly. Only where the patent explicitly states so. What Fourth was querying was whether the flat edge was or not. It is only mentioned as a source of backlighting (or something like that?)

No, Sharp has explicitly stated that this could be used for round or elliptical shapes for wearables.

Anth0ny

That's a really tired desire at this point, honestly. You're not going to get what you want.

Just expect something that's fresh, or attempts to be fresh. The days of traditional Nintendo consoles are over.

It's always a bit disconcerting that so many people just want to keep things a single, uniform standard, even over the course of many years as technology advances and diversifies. Open your mind to the possibilities!

North American November 2015 console sales:

Traditional Console #1 - 1,539,000
Traditional Console #2 - 1,296,000

Unique snowflake cheap Nintendo console with "fresh" idea and a bunch of great first party Nintendo games - 240,000

Like.... if Nintendo wants to try this shit again, then more power to them. But I don't know if the market is going to respond positively to it.

If they try to push the gimmick thing AGAIN, and AGAIN go for something weird and unique, not friendly to third parties, underpowered but cheap... I see it outselling the Wii U (as long as they don't call it the Wii U+), but maybe not the Gamecube.

I think the market is ready for a traditional Nintendo console again. Maybe next next gen try the gimmick thing again? But not now.

CO_Andy

Honestly i'm not too bothered by having thumbs covering up the screen. All the action is usually in the center anyway.

Schnozberry

I mean in the patent it says the flat bottom edge is something to do with a series of backlights. I think.

It doesn't need a flat edge though, no.

If it was edge lit instead of full array, that would be the case. Not to say they couldn't have change their minds.

The_Lump

Banned
North American November 2015 console sales:

Traditional Console #1 - 1,539,000
Traditional Console #2 - 1,296,000

Unique snowflake cheap Nintendo console with "fresh" idea and a bunch of great first party Nintendo games - 240,000

That's the point though isn't it? Where's the gap in that market?? You think there is space for a third similar device?

Nintendo knows they can't crack that market. So they are inevitably going to try and carve out their own market again. Might not work (WiiU), but it might (Wii, DS)

EMT0

Banned
One of the posters in this thread was on-point with the screen covering the entire surface with the physical buttons jutting out. Take it one step further, and make the buttons clear. You push on button -> Buttons touch screen -> console recognizes input from screen. This way you could keep the image more or less intact. Maybe even customizable button layouts if you could physically remove and place the buttons yourself? Hmmmm. Then the crazy part of this tech would be(apart from the novel free-form screens) the means through which buttons can be placed onto and stuck to the screen/console.

Snakeyes

That's the point though isn't it? Where's the gap in that market?? You think there is space for a third similar device?

Nintendo knows they can't crack that market. So they are inevitably going to try and carve out their own market again. Might not work (WiiU), but it might (Wii, DS)
It's not that they can't, it's that they stubbornly refuse to adapt to modern standards, which in turn prevents their consoles from being successful.

Schnozberry

One of the posters in this thread was on-point with the screen covering the entire surface with the physical buttons jutting out. Take it one step further, and make the buttons clear. You push on button -> Buttons touch screen -> console recognizes input from screen. This way you could keep the image more or less intact. Maybe even customizable button layouts if you could physically remove and place the buttons yourself? Hmmmm. Then the crazy part of this tech would be(apart from the novel free-form screens) the means through which buttons can be placed onto and stuck to the screen/console.

Nintendo apparently asked Sharp for a donut shaped display with a hole in the middle. Seems like a logical space for analog stick or circle pad to go. This controller could potentially end up with multiple displays of different shapes and sizes. Or possible a single display with bezels covering inactive pixels like they did with the 2DS. Patents are filed knowing they can be viewed publicly, so the images depicted are as generic as possible on purpose.

Oregano

Oooo this is getting interesting. I'm intrigued about the possibilities of this technology. This could even just be used for UI stuff. Have it display controls next to the buttons and or even bring up stuff like Miiverse messages, friends logging in and achievements outside of the main play area.

I'm also interested in how it would/will affect the aesthetics of the device. It could look really slick which is somewhat unusual for Nintendo.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
I think the oval shape is one of the claims, no? That might end up staying. Btw, does it mention a reason for the bottom of the screen being a straight line while the top is curved? Maybe they are planning on sticking some buttons down there or something...

It kinda reminds me of the Moto 360 Smartwatch which has a similar thing.

I hate defeatism. Why does there need to be a gap in the market? Why can't Nintendo compete for the same audience as Sony or MS? Why can't Nintendo just build an awesome machine with great features, look Sony and Microsoft's audience straight in the eye, and say, "Here's something better"?

Good god, I miss SNES-era Nintendo.

I hate defeatism. Why does there need to be a gap in the market? Why can't Nintendo compete for the same audience as Sony or MS? Why can't Nintendo just build an awesome machine with great features, look Sony and Microsoft's audience straight in the eye, and say, "Here's something better"?

Because that market doesn't exist for them anymore.

They would spend a lot of money still failing.

This is at least less money still failing.

ironcreed

Banned

I'm with you. I just want a great system than can compete and offers exclusives and features that make it stand out as a must own. They need to be trying to win gamers back, instead of chasing a market that is long gone, while also pandering to the base that remains.

Oregano

I'm with you. I just want a great system than can compete and offers exclusives and features that make it stand out as a must own. They need to be trying to win gamers back, instead of chasing a market that is long gone, while also pandering to the base that remains.

Some would say this statement's kind of ironic.

ironcreed

Banned
Some would say this statement's kind of ironic.

What I mean is that the old Wii crowd has moved on to phones and don't give two shits about Nintendo hardware anymore. Whereas, the actual gaming market is where they stand to attract the bigger audience... because we are still here. That is who they should be trying to cater to.

Top Bottom