• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo planning to discontinue Nintendo DSi/DSi LL Shop (Sept 2016/March 2017)

AzaK

There's something wrong with digital stores being closed but I guess with Nintendo it shouldn't be a surprise. This is why the digital future (With Nintendo) is not a smart future.

Pokemaniac

There's something wrong with digital stores being closed but I guess with Nintendo it shouldn't be a surprise. This is why the digital future (With Nintendo) is not a smart future.

While it is technically being closed, the vast majority of the content has been absorbed into the 3DS eShop, and the transfer path still exists for as lomg as the old shop is still up. What's really being dropped is the old hardware and the select few games that didn't make the transition.

I purchased quite a few DSi-Ware games that I really enjoyed. A few that stood out:

Dark Void Zero
Shantae: Risky's Revenge
Flipper
Escapee Go!
Color Commando

The original Xbox Live was completely killed off shortly after the 360 launched iirc. Anything not downloaded onto your HDD is gone.

I think Ninja Gaiden had DLC that's now mostly lost to time.

You're right, but it shut down in 2010. Ninja Gaiden's DLC was really great, a shame that it's lost.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch

There's something wrong with you not reading the first post.

Everything (safe for like 9 titles, including an outdated browser and several sudokus) in this old digital store has already been available on the newer 3DS eshop for years. Why keep this open when the 3DS eshop is offering the same contents and more? Its basically redundance.

Sony has started closing the store for PSP since 2 years ago. What does it says about Sony then?

Hmm, I'll have to re-download everything onto the DSiXL then. I think I deleted some games due to running out of space. Not really interested in transferring them to the 3DS, I'd rather play them in the original hardware.

PS: Aura Aura Climber 2 needs to happen.

AzaK

While it is technically being closed, the vast majority of the content has been absorbed into the 3DS eShop, and the transfer path still exists for as lomg as the old shop is still up. What's really being dropped is the old hardware and the select few games that didn't make the transition.

But what if they don't have a 3DS?

Well what if a PSP owner doesnt have a Vita or a PS3? Nintendo's not the first one to be closing down a storefront and much like the PSP store, nearly all of the games will still be there. Which is more than we can say for the original Xbox Live.

Shiggy

Sounds great, another incentive to not go digital with Nintendo apart from the prices and the way the account system is set up.

This is a move that further diminishes consumer confidence in Nintendo's online systems, it's disappointing really.

It's a shame the system transfer is going offline as well, though I'm glad the DSiWare library got fully migrated to 3DS.

They should have done the same with Wii U, and allowed the games to be packaged like "Wii Virtual Console games", where you can launch them from the Wii U home menu using a Wii Remote to make sure it's foolproof.

Jackano

They should have done the same with Wii U, and allowed the games to be packaged like "Wii Virtual Console games", where you can launch them from the Wii U home menu using a Wii Remote to make sure it's foolproof.

What are you talking about? There is no such thing as full digital Wii games (on Wii).
And Wiiware can be transfered to the Wii U; Actually, this is the ONLY purpose of the SD Card slot on the Wii U...

Havoc2049

You're right, but it shut down in 2010. Ninja Gaiden's DLC was really great, a shame that it's lost.

Ninja Gaiden + the two DLC Hurricane packs became Ninja Gaiden Black.

I still say:

Ninja Gaiden + two DLC Hurricane Packs + NES Ninja Gaiden Trilogy > Ninja Gaiden Black + Ninja Gaiden Arcade

Xbox Live Arcade started on the original Xbox, but only had around 20 or so games for download. Halo 2, Project Gotham Racing 2 and a bunch of other games also had DLC.

What are you talking about? There is no such thing as full digital Wii games (on Wii).
And Wiiware can be transfered to the Wii U; Actually, this is the ONLY purpose of the SD Card slot on the Wii U...

Untrue. Smash can save screenshots there, for example.

L~A

Well, the 12 people in the world who:

- have a DSi / XL
- and are still using and/or care about DSi Shop stuff
- and don't own a Nintendo 3DS and are not getting one within the next year

have until March 31st to redownload everything on their console.

Also, official English FAQ. Nothing really new except:

- ability to re-download games on DSi Shop will end 'at one point', so not necessarily on March 31st.

Looks like there's also a refund program planned for points?

Can I get my unused Nintendo DSi points refunded?

For now you can continue to purchase and redeem Nintendo DSi points in the Nintendo DSi Shop as normal, but you may want to spend any unused Nintendo DSi points before the purchase function in Nintendo DSi Shop is closed on March 31st 2017. More details will be announced in the near future.

Can I use my Nintendo DSi points to fund my Nintendo eShop account?

Not at this time.

Looks like you will be able to add funds to your eShop account with Nintendo Points at one point in the future.

> https://www.nintendo.co.uk/News/201...nuation-of-the-Nintendo-DSi-Shop-1095977.html

bman94

I guess I should ask is there even anything worthwhile on the DSi Shop? Anything good that I can't get off of the 3DS?

I hope this doesn't mean the Wii eShop is closing down soon. There's a ton of virtual console games that haven't been released onto the Wii U yet on there.

L~A

Only content not available from the eShop is:

Asphalt IV
Flipnote Studio
Let's Golf
Nintendo DSi Browser
Oregon Trail
Real Soccer 2009
Real Soccer 2010
SUDOKU MASTER
SUDOKU SENSEI
Sudoku Student

Rest can be bought and downloaded from the eShop, even after DSi Shop closes.

I guess I should ask is there even anything worthwhile on the DSi Shop? Anything good that I can't get off of the 3DS?

I hope this doesn't mean the Wii eShop is closing down soon. There's a ton of virtual console games that haven't been released onto the Wii U yet on there.

The Wii eShop would be a harder thing to close, since it hasn't been fully absorbed into the Wii U shop, as the DSi shop had been with the 3DS shop.

???

Microsoft closed down the store for the original Xbox years ago, and Sony closed down the PSP store recently as well. The DSi has been a legacy device for six years now, and it won't be fully closed until another full year from now.

It always sucks to see old services get discontinued, but it's really difficult to fault Nintendo here, and they're certainly not doing anything that the other big two console makers haven't done in the past.

(But yes, if you want a game to last for the rest of your life, you need to go physical. This applies everywhere, except perhaps for DRM-free storefronts such as GOG, and even then you'd better have a resilient backup plan in place!

joms5

Another reason to avoid digital like the plague.

I don't understand how people look the other way on stuff like this and continue to think digital is the way to go when it comes to buying content.

There were some really well done games on there.

Antipole
Go! Go! Kokopolo
Mighty Flip Champs!
Amoebattle

You can still buy them on the 3DS Shop.

These are the only games going away forever
Asphalt IV
Flipnote Studio
Let's Golf
Nintendo DSi Browser
Oregon Trail
Real Soccer 2009
Real Soccer 2010
SUDOKU MASTER
SUDOKU SENSEI
Sudoku Student

Flipnote has a 3DS version, and obviously the browser isn't any big deal.

Pokemaniac

Another reason to avoid digital like the plague.

I don't understand how people look the other way on stuff like this and continue to think digital is the way to go when it comes to buying content.

Really not much of value is being lost here. Aside from the 9 or so incompatible games, all of this content can be transferred to and will still be viable on a 3DS and will still be transferable for the next year. There is a reasonable upgrade path to keep your stuff.

Flipnote has a 3DS version, and obviously the browser isn't any big deal.

Just for what it's worth, I greatly prefer the DSi Web Browser to the one on the original 3DS. Aside from what felt like much better compatibility and speed, It had a much better UI that made use of both screens: you had a super zoomed out view on the bottom screen with a rectangle you could move around with the stylus. The portion of the web page that was within this rectangle would appear zoomed in on the top screen.

I considered the experience to be comparable to if not better than the 2nd Gen iPod Touch I had at the time.

Pokemaniac

Just for what it's worth, I greatly prefer the DSi Web Browser to the one on the original 3DS. Aside from what felt like much better compatibility and speed, It had a much better UI that made use of both screens: you had a super zoomed out view on the bottom screen with a rectangle you could move around with the stylus. The portion of the web page that was within this rectangle would appear zoomed in on the top screen.

I considered the experience to be comparable to if not better than the 2nd Gen iPod Touch I had at the time.

I kinda doubt the experience was comparable. The DSi simply doesn't have the specs for that.

That said, the Old 3DS browser is, like the rest of the system, a bit hamstrung by the CPU being out of balance (read: overly weak) with the rest of the hardware.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Well, it's a relief that it didn't just disappear overnight. I do want to buy WayForward's games on there. There's not really much DSiWare that's worth a damn, but I suspect there are a few that are worth picking up before they disappear.

I wonder how far off the Wii's eShop shutting down is, then. There's some absolute gems on there that I think people will be pretty upset about missing out on once they realize they're gone.

ChrisD

I hope somebody preserved the shop music. I liked it.

Confound it, now I have it on loop.

You brought some cool things, DSi shop. I'll miss you. WarioWare Snapped! - gimmicky and finicky as it was - brought some serious laughs. And Paper Airplane Chase ate many hours. Can't forget how it was my introduction to Cave Story, either.

Maaaaan, forgot about Flipnote! I spent so much time watching others' things on it. DSi, you were actually a pretty cool little system.

Pokemaniac

Well, it's a relief that it didn't just disappear overnight. I do want to buy WayForward's games on there. There's not really much DSiWare that's worth a damn, but I suspect there are a few that are worth picking up before they disappear.

I wonder how far off the Wii's eShop shutting down is, then. There's some absolute gems on there that I think people will be pretty upset about missing out on once they realize they're gone.

Again, only like a select few games are disappearing. These ones specifically:
http://en-americas-support.nintendo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/438 said:
Asphalt IV
Flipnote Studio
Let's Golf
Nintendo DSi Browser
Oregon Trail
Real Soccer 2009
Real Soccer 2010
SUDOKU MASTER
SUDOKU SENSEI
Sudoku Student

Everything else has already been absorbed into the 3DS eShop and will continue to be available there.

The Wii shop will be a lot harder to drop because there would be a substantial amount of software loss and no clean upgrade path.

DSi->3DS is an easy upgrade, you lose nothing, other than a half dozen minor games if you owned them, and you can keep playing and buying DSi games until the 3DS shop goes down.

With Wii->WiiU, Wii shop content isn't using the WiiU eShop and doesn't run quite as nicely as DSiWare does in the 3DS, since you need to go to a whole other shop and a whole other menu to download and run the software.

wii online store still open is surprising, unless im thinking online multiplayer is down right?

Wii and DS multiplayer has been down for a few years now. I still miss it, greatly.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Again, only like a select few games are disappearing. These ones specifically:

Everything else has already been absorbed into the 3DS eShop and will continue to be available there.

Yeah, but if I buy them on the 3DS eshop, I can't download them on the DSi, can I? And DS games look like butt on the 3DS.

Pokemaniac

wii online store still open is surprising, unless im thinking online multiplayer is down right?

Wii Shop Channel is still online despite all other online services for the Wii getting closed a while ago. However, it also has the Wii U still depending on it for backwards compatibility.

Only content not available from the eShop is:

Rest can be bought and downloaded from the eShop, even after DSi Shop closes.

Has anyone reverse-engineered a way of playing these/backing these up for after the DSi Shop is gone? Like playing them from a backup card?

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
Fuck, don't have my dsi xl with me or I'd rebuy pictobits on there to play on a natuve screen.

My question is if we'll finally see a proper DSi hack solution to preserve these games on original hardware. It's an anomaly since while it has been exploited and custom code can run on it, you can't actually run custom DSiWare or otherwise do any tweaks to the home menu. DS scene was dying out by 2009 and the DSi really didn't make any serious hackers care that much. It's the only system of the seventh generation I would argue was never fully hacked open.

BKK

How much money does it cost to support these legacy online platforms? Surely not so much that they can't afford to spend a small amount on it in return for goodwill. Not a particular criticism at Nintendo, all platform holders seem just as bad, but it doesn't help to encourage people to put their trust into digital platforms.

I mean, really?

you will no longer be able to access the Nintendo DSi Shop period, even to redownload content you previously bought.

RaffAO

How much money does it cost to support these legacy online platforms? Surely not so much that they can't afford to spend a small amount on it in return for goodwill. Not a particular criticism at Nintendo, all platform holders seem just as bad, but it doesn't help to encourage people to put their trust into digital platforms.

I mean, really?

I can see how it probably becomes difficult to justify within a company for lots of dull reasons that you might not consider.

-Handling obscure customer service requests
-Maintaining IT systems behind the scenes, maybe no longer supported by suppliers
-Administrating royalties for publishers
-Keeping up with changing legal requirements/compliance

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Just in case anyone is reading this. I had 5800 points on my DSi XL that I hadn't used.
Obviously they were useless on the DSi eShop now, but a call to Nintendo Support (Billing) solved that. Looks like they can move the points to either a Wii or Wii U.

Just in case anyone is reading this. I had 5800 points on my DSi XL that I hadn't used.
Obviously they were useless on the DSi eShop now, but a call to Nintendo Support (Billing) solved that. Looks like they can move the points to either a Wii or Wii U.

That's more than I expected, honestly.

Top Bottom