• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo PMs Wii owners to buy WiiU; "Not just an upgrade".

There's actually only a very few selection of games that even have loading screens on the N64. I think Quake II is one, IIRC and Asteroids Hyper 64.

They added loading times across the console to make sure the whole ad plays. You also have to jump up and say "WiiU!" at the TV for the game to begin.

I'm serious, go hook up your N64 and update the firmware. Shit's insane.

Skyzard

Banned
Saying the word upgrade is fine really, good in fact.

I don't think there's really a lot of people at this point that don't know about Wii U, maybe just really casual owners. The problem is that they don't really see a reason to upgrade yet.

I have a feeling this is definitely true. Still it probably doesn't hurt to do this now as well. I'm sure Nintendo will have proper tv ads when they have some bigger titles too.

Also another thing, the parents typically interested in buying a Wii or Wii U don't really care which they get (other than price and availability) if they don't have either one, they don't necessarily need the latest and the best in technology, the Wii is probably still relatively fresh to someone who never got round to owning one and is getting it for their young kids. Especially when Nintendo aren't pumping out the ads.
Good thing a lot bought a Wii.

I'm worried a lot of people will see the new adverts for mario 3d and mario kart wii U, see the flashy graphics and think - we already played that - aka misremembering how good the graphics were on the Wii. Nintendo are gonna have to do some heavy marketing but this applies to everyone really. Would probably be best if the next mario wasn't a galaxy game...and if the next mario kart lets you make your own levels :p

Bullza2o

I guess this is good, trying to advertise it as much as possible. However I see problems with this:

Some people I know who have Wiis either never connected it online or did not update it. Some of them also stopped playing and moved on to Kinect. Basically the Wii stays offline. If my Wii is only used as a power source to charge my Wiimotes, I'm sure those casuals don't have it plugged in even.

Sheroking

You're dying if you ain't trying.

I guess this is good, trying to advertise it as much as possible. However I see problems with this:

Some people I know who have Wiis either never connected it online or did not update it. Some of them also stopped playing and moved on to Kinect. Basically the Wii stays offline. If my Wii is only used as a power source to charge my Wiimotes, I'm sure those casuals don't have it plugged in even.

It's not like this took resources to do.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
At least Nintendo is acknowledging this issue now with their new marketing push. I wonder how successful they will be with this.

jmizzal

It's actually not a bad idea at all.

I just don't see many casuals still having a Wii plugged in after Nintendo pretty much left it out in the cold years ago.

Should've done it during the lead up to the release of the Wii U.

Why do people keep saying casuals dont have their Wii plugged in? Wasnt netflix on Wii the most used version like 2 years ago, i'm sure plenty still use netflix on it.

I see nothing wrong with advertising your hardware on your hardware, im pretty sure you will be able to watch the next Xbox event on your 360.

This probably took 5 minutes to write up and send out. Wouldn't really attribute that to being "desperate" (there's other stuff that fits that bill), though it definitely should have been done earlier.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
I have to admit that Nintendo have been a bit lax using the Wii to advertise the Wii U. Hell, the Nintendo Channel window is still showing Pokemon Black White 2 and Art Academy. Once you click on it, admittedly, it isn't so bad, and it even has stuff like trailers for Lego City and the Nintendo Wii U Direct (admittedly without the Wii U logo) but how many will do that?

I am surprised it has taken them this long to get a "Hey! We made a new console!" message out there though. Still, at least the message explains that it is a completely new console.

Guess they had to do something before they turn off the channels permanently on 28 June.
Just realised that this could be the last message ever received on the Wii.

Skyzard

Banned
This probably took 5 minutes to write up and send out. Wouldn't really attribute that to being "desperate" (there's other stuff that fits that bill), though it definitely should have been done earlier.

I was trying to annoy some of the people who said the same thing about the Vita friend scheme.

"It's not just an upgrade"

Meanwhile...

WfXZ539.jpg

Well, it is a half-assed effort, it should have been done much earlier, and it could stand to be much less confusing but it is not necessarily a contradiction. It's an upgrade, but not just an upgrade (besides the HD, you have the gamePad, eShop, miiverse, etc).

McLovin

Hard enough to get the casual gaming Wii owners to buy games. Good luck getting them to buy a new system. This is why you always put the hardcore first.
This, of course, doesn't apply to Wii hardcore gamers.

I don't think there's really a lot of people at this point that don't know about Wii U, maybe just really casual owners. The problem is that they don't really see a reason to upgrade yet.
My PS3 playing friend also owns a Wii but has ignored everything Wii related for the past 4 years or so. He heard of the Wii U but didn't realize it was a new system until he played mine.
Please understand.
I was worried we'd go a whole first page of a Nintendo thread without seeing this joke.

I guess it's a start though this seems a really limited channel to start your campaign on.

I mean sure the blue glowy light thing is a really eye catching feature that'll get people interested...when the Wii updated regularly.

But this is banking on people to a) have their wiis connected online and b) the wii still installed in the house. I think even if people did a to begin with, they've done almost *nothing* in the past 2 years to deserve that space in the living room still, not even for casuals unless they were late to the Wii Fit party.

but yeah, baby steps I guess - now they just need to figure out how to sell the Wii U to the mass market at large.

I suppose it's the fact that the Wii wouldn't have another way to do it. No one will be surprised when a tile of the 360 dash advertises the next Xbox, but a message in the inbox might be seen as desperate. I dunno, hard to talk when that's hypothetical at this point.

I think the problem here is obvious: Microsoft and Sony would just send an email to all their system account holders, Nintendo.... needs system accounts.

"Some confusion in the marketplace! Email everyone and straighten it out!"

"But we don't have emails, we have hardware accounts!"

"... well shit."

Skyzard

Banned
2 wouldn't have cut it I don't think.

Ultimate Wii maybe .. no probably think they're describing the wii.

Wiitendo Ultimate - that's money.

'I want a Nintendo Wiitendo, Ultimate!'
- everyone

Wiinendo maybe.

There's no debate about whether or not this is a good or bad idea. It's a good idea that will have very little actual impact. But there's no reason not to do it. I'm sure the 360 dash will be covered in next gen Xbox marketing when it's released.

It should have been called Super Wii and it should have looked like a console from the 80's, except slightly more minimalist. The launch marketing blitz should have been entirely done with cheesy 80's commercials. Then the revision could look like something from the 90's, with cheesy 90's commercials. The internet would have exploded.

As it is, their vaguely Apple+families theme needs to be atoned for, and sending out PMs to Wii owners is part of their penance.

I still dont understand why they ditched the name "stream". It seemed so perfect yo me and probably would of convayed what the gamepad was about much better.

Marche90

No one uses their Wii anymore. It's my (or rather, my sister's) Netflix box and I'm currently playing Radiant Down. Man, way to make me feel bad about it.

Though yeah, Nintendo absolutely blew it with both marketing and maybe the name. My own father and sister asked me about it when they first heard about the console, and I betcha that most of my friends don't know/don't care about the system.

It really hurts to see in what condition the system and the brand is in, especially since they are my preferred company of the current Big Three.

For casual gamers the Wii U's controller is probably seen as a downgrade. There's no strong motion gaming software for Wii U up to the level of Wii Sports.

Lack of games

But the WiiU has access to the wii's library. You can argue that there's no real reason to upgrade to WiiU when it comes to new software (whether or not you are right is up to debate; keep in mind it also offers things like the eShop), but I don't see how it's a downgrade. Furthermore, it can also use the wii's controllers, and there are games like NintendoLand that showcase features like Wii motion plus. Motion controls have not been dropped, just complimented by the gamepad. I'm sure we'll see these various control methods implemented if the situation calls for it.

Squire

Banned

I don't see how the move taking little energy to make, makes it any less desperate of a move.

They need to go directly to their audience through their old hardware to clarify their new hardware.

Yeah; it seems pretty desperate anyway you slice it. Sony can do this as well, but PSP owners never get messages about what an awesome upgrade Vita is.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
Found the full message on another site:

Play your Wii games and accessories on Wii U.

Did you know that you can play nearly all of your existing Wii games on Wii U? Your Wii controllers and many Wii accessories can also be used with a new Wii U console—along with any downloaded games, save data, and other info stored in your existing Wii console.

It's time to discover Wii U.

Wii U is the all-new home console from Nintendo. It's not just an upgrade —it's an entirely new system that will change the way you and your family experience games and entertainment.

The second screen on the included Wii U GamePad controller enables never-before-seen ways to play games and enjoy TV. And for the first time ever, you can see Mario and your favorite Nintendo franchises in glorious HD.

Learn more about Wii U at Nintendo.com/WiiU

Into

May as well use everything they can to push the Wii U, obviously not every Wii owner still has their Wii plugged in and checks weekly for messages but even if a small percentage do, they might notice it.

Nothing to lose, it did not cost them anything to send this to everyone

FyreWulff

Come on, do you think Microsoft or Sony wouldn't use the huge install base of their old consoles to promote their new ones? They would be stupid not to.

They already are. They turned the big center box on the dashboard into a gigantic ad promoting the Durango event on the 21st.

Don't upgrade the TV. You can actually play classic games in REAL resolution, the absolute #1 reason why a CRT is great. Also, Rhythm Heaven Fever with zero lag.

Anyway, I look forward to seeing the next round of Wii U commercials when the games like Mario, Pikmin and W101 come, likely by the holiday. I wonder how/if they'll drill that message into people's heads.

Aaron

They should just change the name to Wii 2, and do a new marketing push. Wii U has been a disaster of a name.

They should just change the name to Wii 2, and do a new marketing push. Wii U has been a disaster of a name.

people don't care about the Wii name anymore. Whether there is a 2 or a U behind it doesnt make a lot of difference.

The name was a mistake (as was using the same font and a similar looking console) but the bigger mistake was Nintendo thinking they had some sort of brand loyalty with Wii customers.

Let's tally what's wrong with this.

1) Smells of desperation
2) It was done 6 MONTHS after the console launched
3) The phrasing directly contradicts the commercials released A WEEK AGO
4) Very few people are even going to SEE this message since most of them have stopped using the Wii entirely, especially the WiiConnect 24 feature.

goomba

Banned
Let's tally what's wrong with this.

1) Smells of desperation
2) It was done 6 MONTHS after the console launched
3) The phrasing directly contradicts the commercials released A WEEK AGO
4) Very few people are even going to SEE this message since most of them have stopped using the Wii entirely, especially the WiiConnect 24 feature.

Theres still no reason not to do it though...

Top Bottom