• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo PMs Wii owners to buy WiiU; "Not just an upgrade".

JazzmanZ

I guess Nintendo can't win in any situation since no matter how hard they try to advertise its a new system people just think its pathetic and desperate.

I guess Nintendo can't win in any situation since no matter how hard they try to advertise its a new system people just think its pathetic and desperate.

People think it's pathetic because it's such a simple thing they could have done a year ago (or at least a few months leading up to launch) instead of waiting until the Wii U is selling about as well as a Backstreet Boys reunion CD.

Theres still no reason not to do it though...

Alternate reality:

In October 2012, Nintendo sends out a message to all Wii owners:

Have you heard the news? The Super Wii is coming soon! Featuring an all-new controller pad and HD graphics! It's like nothing you've ever played! Go down to your local retailer today! For a limited time, every new copy is bundled with Wii Sports HD free!

1) Done in a timely manner
2) Communicates it is a new device
3) Sounds less sad. (No listing off differences that people would not even think of)

sakipon

Exactly. It's getting really boring that people blame Nintendo for everything: when there's no ads, when there is ads, ads to different audiences and tastes, it's all gone wrong.

The real valid critique just drowns in the pointless noise.

Squire

Banned
Alternate reality:

In October 2012, Nintendo sends out a message to all Wii owners:

1) Done in a timely manner
2) Communicates it is a new device
3) Sounds less sad. (No listing off differences that people would not even think of)

The thing is: the message they're sending now would've been the perfect thing to send out the week Wii U launched.

JazzmanZ

Exactly. It's getting really boring that people blame Nintendo for everything: when there's no ads, when there is ads, ads to different audiences and tastes, it's all gone wrong.

Hey you know whats funny? saying the Wii U has no games, lets repeat it and quote said posts saying how brutal that joke is eh? I'm sure all the Sony fans get a kick out of it.

iamvin22

Industry Verified
image.php

He should. After all, Durango only supports HDMI.

"Deal with it!"

Aaron

"Too little, too late", to me, is a silly statement to make about a something expected to be on the market for 6+ years.
I'm not sure even Nintendo has this expectation at this point.

Then again, there's nothing wrong with the system itself. A killer app could turn things around.

I can only imagine how small of an audience Nintendo is targeting that:

Still play their Wii
Still have the Wii connected to the Internet
Are active/care enough to check their Inbox
Don't know what the Wii U is already
Have a family or would be otherwise persuaded for a call to action - based on that Message

I don't necessarily think it's pathetic - given that it was near enough to free to do it, it's respectable marketing. I do however think it highlights that they severely stumbled with the name and marketing of the Wii U.

Squire

Banned

You paint the picture as though Nintendo goes from not doing anything to doing something great, but gets panned either way. That's not what's happening.

Not doing something (or doing it wrong) and doing it, but doing a shitty job of it aren't that dissimilar. The latter deserves no more praise than the former.

Lets take the advertising: They went from no message (the X-Factor ad) to a loud, lazy message (the recent family ads), typing "UPGRADE" in all caps in bold yellow text like their target audience is retarded. That wasn't worth commending nor was it satisfactory and neither is this.

Le Singe

Neo Member
Not sure the point of it. Everybody that plays games fairly regularly have heard about the WiiU. They might not know much about it but they know it's around. People that game as often as they go to an art gallery or a fancy restaurant probably don't even know that games aren't being made for the Wii anymore, nevermind a new console.

bh7812

Banned
This is pathetic.

No, it's not. This is exactly what they need to be doing. They need to tell these a wii owners about the Wii U and that it's a brand new system, along with what makes it different. While a lot of these people won't go out and upgrade tomorrow, they'll certainly remember this message when they do go to the store and they'll at least check it out. Or remember the message when they are ready to upgrade. Damn good idea if you ask me.

These shots at this company are gettin real old guys. You can't seem to give them a break and everything they've done is wrong to all of you. I'm no fanboy but this is getting ridiculous. Give them this year to fix the mess they're in. If they're in this same spot come January then knock yourselves out. At least wait till E3 has come and gone, good grief,

"Too little, too late", to me, is a silly statement to make about a something expected to be on the market for 6+ years.

Thus far I feel the machine has bought too little to a party it was late to. I'm talking power, image, appeal, games... pretty much across the board.

I can't see it lasting 6+ years, even if Nintendo does turn the machine into a success.

Infinite

Not sure the point of it. Everybody that plays games fairly regularly have heard about the WiiU. They might not know much about it but they know it's around. People that game as often as they go to an art gallery or a fancy restaurant probably don't even know that games aren't being made for the Wii anymore, nevermind a new console.

Not sure I get your argument since you contradicted yourself there.

kirby_fox

Banned
I think at its core it's a good idea.

That said, I kind of wonder how many people fit all of the following criteria:

1.) Still actively using their Wii despite Nintendo having released their last major software quite a while ago.
2.) Have their Wii connected online.
3.) Read the messages sent to them.
4.) Did not already know of the Wii U.
5.) Did not just purchase a Wii and thus would potentially be interested in a Wii U.

Families who use their Wii for Netflix. If I'm not mistaken, wasn't the Wii (at one point) one of Netflix's biggest ways people streamed?

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Will I get one if I boot up my Wii U in Wii mode?

Thus far I feel the machine has bought too little to a party it was late to. I'm talking power, image, appeal, games... pretty much across the board.

I can't see it lasting 6+ years, even if Nintendo does turn the machine into a success.

If Nintendo turns it into a success, you can bet your ass it will last at least six years. Even if they can't "save" the Wii U, they will not torpedo consumer confidence by pulling the plug on it too early. That's why they sat idle while the GameCube was getting humiliated by the PS2, instead of releasing something more competitive (ie: with DVD playback and no handle).

1.) Still actively using their Wii despite Nintendo having released their last major software quite a while ago.
5.) Did not just purchase a Wii and thus would potentially be interested in a Wii U.

Oh wow, I copied Nirolak's post almost entirely.

Serves me right for not reading the thread properly.

Foffy

Banned
Didn't Nintendo release ads last week or the week before that specifically referred to the Wii U as an upgrade to Wii?

If Nintendo turns it into a success, you can bet your ass it will last at least six years. Even if they can't "save" the Wii U, they will not torpedo consumer confidence by pulling the plug on it too early. That's why they sat idle while the GameCube was getting humiliated by the PS2, instead of releasing something more competitive (ie: with DVD playback and no handle).

SNES > N64 > Gamecube > Wii launches were all 5 years apart basically. Support for the machines had well and truly dried up by the time the successors launched. Why would the Wii U, which is thus far less successful than these machines, last for 6+ years?

Jac_Solar

Seriously, why did they name it the Wii U? Why not Wii 2, or whatever? It was blatantly obvious that the "Wii U" name wasn't going to get the point that it's a new console across.

The name, the lack of software, the lack of VC titles, the lack of general support -- did Nintendo, the company that has been in the gaming business for the longest really make these mistakes? Would it be a stretch to consider that they are sabotaging it for some reason?

Skyzard

Banned
SNES > N64 > Gamecube > Wii launches were all 5 years apart basically. Support for the machines had well and truly dried up by the time the successors launched. Why would the Wii U, which is thus far less successful than these machines, last for 6+ years?

Slower adoption, possibly. - might lead to a milking of games.

PK Gaming

images

Terrell

Can someone explain to me why nintendo abandoned the wii remote/technology?

Last I checked, I was using Wiimotes in Nintendo Land and will be using them in Pikmin 3, so.... I guess the answer to your question is that they didn't?

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
Whoever went ahead with calling it the Wii U should never be forgiven.
I always say this but the machine would have been better off if they called it the 'Nu Wii' or something similar. Nintendo should have realised they were dealing with a mass casual market that does not understand the esoteric and completely different names Nintendo uses for its machines through the generations.
Sony is in the best position when it comes to console names. Whoever suggested the leap from Playstation to Playstation 2 single handedly extended the potential of the playstation brand beyond competitors' brands.
I have no doubt Microsoft would have followed the Playstation strategy were it not for the fact that the first Xbox did not sell nearly well enough. I do think that name of the next xbox machine will be a difficult thing for Microsoft to decide.

Can someone explain to me why nintendo abandoned the wii remote/technology?

They didn't abandon it. It's still a perfectly viable control scheme for WiiU software if a developer wants to implement it, or for multiplayer games that don't require gamepads ala Nintendoland or NSMBU.

I think that a subset of "core" gamers bitching and moaning about motion controls being cancer might have had at least something to do with the direction of the gamepad. People were upset about the lack of a traditional controller.

Sony is in the best position when it comes to console names. Whoever suggested the leap from Playstation to Playstation 2 single handedly extended the potential of the playstation brand beyond competitors' brands.

I agree with this. The Playstation brandname is very strong. After looking back at the entire mess with advertising and brand confusion, I'm going to agree with the idea that naming the console "WiiU" probably wasn't the best idea.

Tan

Mine just flashed blue and totally took me by surprise.

I just didn't care enough to check what it was. :(

goomba

Banned
Seriously, why did they name it the Wii U? Why not Wii 2, or whatever? It was blatantly obvious that the "Wii U" name wasn't going to get the point that it's a new console across.

Why wasn't the Xbox 360 called Xbox 2 ?

Some people (even if subconsciously ) think the number reflects power or generation e.g Xbox 2 would sound inferior to Playstation 3 so perhaps Nintendo thought wii 2 would sound inferior compared to ps4 .

Vagabundo

They finally did it. They activated their Nintendrone army. Theses automatons will now follow the commands of their mothership and plod to the nearest store in their millions.

-Plasma Reus-

Some people (even if subconsciously ) think the number reflects power or generation e.g Xbox 2 would sound inferior to Playstation 3 so perhaps Nintendo thought wii 2 would sound inferior compared to ps4 .

By that logic the PS3 is also subconsciously more powerful than the Wii.
The truth is that the majority of the people who purchased the Wii are not the same tyoe of people that would purchase a PS3.
Nintendo clearly built this machine not to directly compete with the PS4/nextbox. Nintendo realised they had an audience that the other two did not have. But they fumbled it by not going all the way through with it and coming up with a name that would communicate better with this audience.

Jac_Solar

By comparison, Wii U is very ambiguous . Xbox 360 implied a new system, maybe thanks to its marketing or whatever, but it did it. Wii U is a very "passive" name, and it does not sound like the name of a new system.

I think the name "Wii" itself is kind of bad, though.

goomba

Banned
By that logic the PS3 is also subconsciously more powerful than the Wii.
The truth is that the majority of the people who purchased the Wii are not the same tyoe of people that would purchase a PS3.

But wii had no number in its name at all...

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
They finally did it. They activated their Nintendrone army. Theses automatons will now follow the commands of their mothership and plod to the nearest store in their millions.

We are the E3 BEARS. We are Legion. We do not forgive. We do not forget. Expect us.

-Plasma Reus-

But wii had no number in its name at all...

True. But if you really think about it the target segments are not the same. Calling it the Wii 2 would not have affected anything due to the fact that the majority of the Wii audience views the machines as two things that aren't really comparable at all.

But with the Wii U, it's like, what is it? An upgrade? I remember a lot of us hardcore people thought the exact same thing during the reveal. And when people like us get confused even for a relative short period, something went wrong, and casual audience's confusion will increase exponentially.

ivysaur12

Banned

I agree. I think in concept it's a great idea. But who it'll reach? I don't know. It might have been more useful 9 months previous.

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
The Wii also had a bunch of accessories and games that started with "Wii"
Wii nunchuck, Wii remote, Wii Zapper, Wii Balance Board, Wii Sports, Wii Fit, etc.
Not hard to look at something called Wii U and come to that conclusion

Blades64

Banned
I actually think this is a cool idea. Is it desperate? Maybe, but what if this was really what some people needed...some clarification. It's bad that Nintendo has to resort to this, but since they're here, they're at least trying to make the best of it.

Top Bottom