• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Power ceasing publication

DigitalOp

Banned
Good Riddance, They couldn't review a game unless it had Nintendo on the cover... sheesh
Sometimes it was like they refused to get off their knees

Yes... I know its a Nintendo magazine but review games fairly damn it..

This is my Opinion

Sad news for sure. I still remember buying my Pokemon Silver bundle from the insert from one of my Nintendo Power's back in I believe 2000. Nabbed myself the game, the official strategy guide (which aside from the art was far from being complete), and a couple of limited edition pins which I still own. I was a loyal subscriber for a good number of years but alas, all things must come to an end I suppose.

Sallokin

Really sad news. I was a kid when I got their first issue from my Dad and I used to carry it around with me wherever I went.

Afrikan

npsmb3.jpg

:(

Jackson

So sad to hear this. I grew up on Nintendo Power. It's weird because Scribblenauts Unlimited is this month's cover. So to hear that we're one of the last covers ever is a strange feeling. Anyway... I wish the team the best on their new endeavours.

Sidenote: The two Scribblenauts covers are the only Nintendo Power covers in the publication's history to alter the Nintendo Power logo. We gave it a "Scribblenauts" stylization. It was a big honor for us when they let us do that.

NPScribblenauts--article_image.jpg

Gameboy415

Very depressing news. :'(

I was a loyal subscriber from the Premiere issue up through about 2001 when I went off to college.
I picked up a recent issue for the free Kid Icarus card but I was a little put off by how the magazine had become "NinADteADndADo PoADwADeADrADADADADAD". :S

I'll never forget how great Nintendo Power was in the 90s though:
-Awesome posters
-Free Strategy Guides
-Free game preview VHS tapes (I still have 8 of em!)
-Super Power Supplies Catalog/Super Power Stamps
-Super Power Club Cards/Caps (Pogs)
-Mario/Zelda/Metroid/StarFox comics

Flipping through some old reviews, they sure did under-rate the original Smash Bros game. Also, I loved that they thought it important enough to put the cartridge size in the reviews!

AppleBlade

NOOOOOO!!! This seriously angers me more then anything Nintendo has done in awhile. Forget no second analog stick on the XL or the lack of Wii U information, You let Nintendo Power die . . . . How could you? I don't care if it's not making money, it can't be that big of an expense and at this point the mag is like those pet projects that car manufacturers lose money on but still though because it's important for the image of the company and a token of it's heritage.

dacuk

Hope they put old magazines to download thru Club Nintendo (imagine reading them in the WiiUPad)...or we may need to go to retromags.

This just goes along with the demise of NSIDER, Nintendo's online community and forums, in marking another part of my childhood pretty much gone for good. Also Camp Hyrule's closure a few years back.

Right in the heart, man, right in the heart. :(

Wow , another one....bring back memories.... : (

next_magazines.jpg

Sigh... I really miss Next Gen :(

It's really sad because although I haven't read a gaming mag in years, I grew up reading the hell out of them. I used to have one of the very first Nintendo Powers too, used to gawk at all the NES games I was too poor to afford :/

Muku

The new nintendo power issues actually arent that bad and have some nice industry interviews.

Maybe they've gotten better then. Hadn't even known they had a reboot of it a couple years ago. But I guess that is what living abroad does to ya. :( Feel so behind on some things.

That's too bad. NP was one of the few magazines I purchase whenever I can. I just love reading them because it reminds me of my childhood but also gives me news about Nintendo.

Just when the 3DS and Wii U is starting its life cycle. :(

donny2112

Just when the 3DS and Wii U is starting its life cycle. :(

The writers moved out of house to Future at the start of the Wii cycle along with the horrible, horrible, horrible, horrible, horrible shift in PR from Redmond to New York/San Francisco. Did I mention that was a terrible idea of theirs?

bon

I'll miss reading their articles, especially their interviews. Nintendo Power was a good magazine to the end.

Instro

That's a shame, my house had a subscription for most of my life. I have quite a few of those old players guides around, and I have a box of old issues as well including the first one.

Codeblue

I haven't read since I was a kid. It's sad, but it was inevitable. Nintendo walking away from the magazine meant no exclusive news or super interesting interviews there to prop the thing up.

Best of luck to the staff.

Nintendo
magazine
to go third party?

It went third party a while ago.

alf717

Anyone know of a good way to pick up the final issue of Nintendo Power without a subscription?

I remember the Nintendo Power magazines. My old neighborhood friend would get them. I became a subscriber myself back in the Game Cube days my first issue being 171 I stopped at issue 246 but quickly resubscribed when the 250th issue had Mega Man 10 on it. I just had to have that issue. Those last 12 issues were the last time I subscribed to Nintendo Power.

painey

Always hated Nintendo Power because when I would import Game Boy games from the US to the UK they would always come with adverts for the mag that I couldn't get. It's funny, but even in the 90's I thought their logo was out-dated.

Zee-Row

Banned
People say that "Oh, you can just look things up by going on the internet!" But part of the appeal of Strategy guides were the full color maps and the artwork. FAQ guides don't work as well to me.

GamerSoul

:( Damn, I use to love reading NP when I was younger. If it wasn't for them I'd probably never have played some of the GBA/64/GC games that I love to this day. Good times. Reading those articles helped me pass the time until I actually was able to play the games I wanted.

RobbieNick

tumblr_m9338dH7nn1qctmavo1_250.gif

Damn! Damn! Damn! There goes a bit of my chidhood. I've been reading this magazine since issue one. Whether it was through subscription, purchased in store or just read at the grocery store I always read Nintendo Power month after month. To see it go is to see a huge part of Nintendo history leave. It really saddens me.

BTW Nintendo, I think it's a huge, fucking mistake not to keep this magazine running. Itwas a great way for people to keep informed on some quality games that might otherwise go under the radar. The pitiful support Nintendo has given this publication over the last few years saddens me.

Antiochus

For those with the complete archive, it maybe well neigh time to not only start digital scanning for all of them, but to also contemplate donating them to a reputable library or archival institution.

Lothar

Banned

Dear god.. the feeling I had when this came in my mail. It was almost as good as finally having the game itself. It must suck to be a kid nowadays. What could even compare today to a kid's excitement getting that in 1990? Especially if they didn't have the game yet, as I didn't.

Thank you NP for introducing me to Lemmings, Maniac Mansion, Final Fantasy 2, Startropics, and other classics that I only played because they were on the cover.

sBg9Pl.jpg

so0bfl.jpg

You almost could never go wrong on games they picked to give a cover to. If you played the games on the covers, chances are you played not the most popular game of the month like is normal for magazines, but the best game of the month.

Teknoman

Dear god.. the feeling I had when this came in my mail. It was almost as good as finally having the game itself. It must suck to be a kid nowadays. What could even compare today to a kid's excitement getting that in 1990? Especially if they didn't have the game yet, as I didn't.

Nothing really, though I guess the reveal of a new trailer way before release probably comes close. That is about the only thing I can think of thats as close to...getting a new mag or demo disc in the mail back in the day.

Roth

Banned
As a long-time subscriber, I'm deeply sadden by the closure of NINTENDO POWER. Thank you for your 24+ years of service!
So freaking sad.. I've been a long timer subscriber since the early 90s (still am). I'm guilty one for looking forward to each issue in my mailbox. I remember when they used to include posters, comics, cards, CDs, and even VHS tapes with special issues..

I remember seeing the first screenshots of Zelda 64 and Earthbound 64. It's where I learned all the shortcuts in Mario Kart 64. I remember the Donkey Kong and Pokemon images made with the spines..

I hope Nintendo finds it in their heart that the magazine is still a worthy source to their subscribers. Future is doing an okay job, but it's not like it was before.. I'd hate to see it all end though..

[edit] I went down to my basement tonight and dug through some boxes to find the very first issue of NinPow, and here it is! I think it's time I frame it and hang it on the wall..

20120821_001b.jpg

// Roth

Zee-Row

Banned

Thank you NP for introducing me to Lemmings, Maniac Mansion, Final Fantasy 2, Startropics, and other classics that I only played because they were on the cover.

sBg9Pl.jpg

so0bfl.jpg

You almost could never go wrong on games they picked to give a cover to. If you played the games on the covers, chances are you played not the most popular game of the month like is normal for magazines, but the best game of the month.

I never would of played the awesome Vice Project Doom otherwise!

FyreWulff

Is there anybody left who does good coverage of Nintendo games?

All the Nintendo-centric sites seem to be lost in the desert at this point. I remember reading Tendobox and Planet GameCube every day at one point. PGC was great. Also NintendoNation, which PGC essentially absorbed at one point. I still remember Steven Rodriguez pulling off updating NN's mailbag every single day for a little over a year.

Also somehow Nintendojo is still alive.

Top Bottom