• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Power Cover - Castlevania: Lords Of Shadow - Mirror Of Fate (3DS)

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Ah, just to finish also other things...RawMeatCowboy was teasing this title.

Meier

The concept of this being worthy of a cover of a generation is lost on me, but I'm still excited about it. Love the handheld Castlevanias and definitely will buy this.. haven't played my 3DS in forever sadly.

You don't really believe any of that is going to happen, do you?

From a technical standpoint, it looks alright. But I'm getting a serious Griptonite Shinobi vibe, and that is not a good thing.

FUCKING REALLY?!
Come on the fuck on, the hate here is amazing and im not even a defender of this game.

If we could post scans in neogaf I would post castlevania 3DS screens compared with the shinobi 3DS one to sshow you how wrong you are.
Shinobi looked completly rubbish and shit for godness sake.

Beth Cyra

Hey MS put in a track as good as Judgements Vampire Killer and I'll burly your game. If I can stomach that trash for music I can buy a 3DS game.

Maedhros

FUCKING REALLY?!
Come on the fuck on, the hate here is amazing and im not even a defender of this game.

If we could post scans in neogaf I would post castlevania 3DS screens compared with the shinobi 3DS one to sshow you how wrong you are.

The screens look BLURRY AS FUCK. I think people aren't really complaining about the graphics, but the camera/style.

I love Igarashi's Castlevanias and I love Lords of Shadow too.

It's a great news this Castlevania from Mercury Steam. I expect see more things these friday and the next week. I hope I can play it!!

I hope I can play it too, but if the framerate is as bad as Lord of Shadow's then I won't be able to play it because I'd be too busy throwing up.

JJConrad

Sucks at viral marketing
The concept of this being worthy of a cover of a generation is lost on me, but I'm still excited about it. Love the handheld Castlevanias and definitely will buy this.. haven't played my 3DS in forever sadly.
It's more likely that the plans for whatever they were teasing from last month changed, was delay, or fell through. It's not uncommon in magazines and I can remember a couple instances with NP where this has happened.

Foffy

Banned
It's more likely that the plans for whatever they were teasing from last month changed, was delay, or fell through. It's not uncommon in magazines and I can remember a couple instances with NP where this has happened.

Nothing fell through. The tease about 'generations' is that there are two Belmonts to play as. That's all the word was implying. Cover of a generation = generations = Simon and Trevor Belmont.

Slime

Banned
The weird, red, blocky blob could still be represented in some way on the regular newsstand cover, I suppose. This Simon one was a special subscriber cover. Either way though, yeah, the description still fits.

giggas

FUCKING REALLY?!

You also forgot that regardless of how Shinobi looks, that game is great. Been playing the shit out of it lately after a few months away from it trying to get an S rank on all of the missions. I mean it's not a flawless game, but it's so fun.

Foffy

Banned
The weird, red, blocky blob could still be represented in some way on the regular newsstand cover, I suppose. This Simon one was a special subscriber cover. Either way though, yeah, the description still fits.

I believe reports said that Simon was for special instances (subscribers maybe) and one of Trevor is for regular circulation.

JJConrad

Sucks at viral marketing
Nothing fell through. The tease about 'generations' is that there are two Belmonts to play as. That's all the word was implying. Cover of a generation = generations = Simon and Trevor Belmont.
No. There were still some heavy USSR references in that teaser. Unless you can identify the silhouette used in connection to this game... something changed.

Teknoman

You also forgot that regardless of how Shinobi looks, that game is great. Been playing the shit out of it lately after a few months away from it trying to get an S rank on all of the missions. I mean it's not a flawless game, but it's so fun.

Its also got a version of afterburner's theme and a cybernetic shotgun wielding shark, so thats always a good thing.

No. There were still some heavy USSR references in that teaser. Unless you can identify the silhouette used in connection to this game... something changed.

Maybe they just used the shape for the map in the game?

yep, it's indeed great fun.
shame the last level is stupidly difficult, i've been stuck for months.

Ahasverus

Cover for generations means that it's relevant for many generations, the Old school CV fans, the metroidvania era and the LoS era of fans

Quoting myself from the other thread:

5Z0MK.jpg

MnkYV.jpg

rNOlG.jpg

R.I.P Metroidvania we will miss you

Scans looks atrocious. Maybe is the scan quality but it dosn't look good or have good ambientation.

Foffy

Banned

What, the USSR reference being comrade? That's clearly a nod at the fact the game involves Simon and Trevor being intertwined in the plot of the game. The quote "rue your fate" also gives a nod to the game.

What the image was, I have no clue. But as someone said either in this thread or the one about the game last week, this was the teaser Nintendo Power was going for, as well as the game RawMeatCowboy was teasing. This wasn't a sudden change of plans.

Alfredo

Now, most importantly: will it have a sweet-ass soundtrack that Castlevania games have been known for, or more God of War-sounding crap?

gerudoman

So disappointing... One of the reasons I bought a 3DS was an obvious 2D Castlevania game, and instead I got this. I don't care about the perspective, no sprites and hack n'slash movements is definetely not 2D.

Thanks Konami for not wanting my money.

jett

D-Member
Mercurysteam themselves developing this. I assume a bigger team is developing a console Castlevania? I guess LoS was successful enough for Konami, that or they still have a lot of faith on the brand.

Foffy

Banned
Now, most importantly: will it have a sweet-ass soundtrack that Castlevania games been known for, or more God of War-sounding crap?

Blame Konami for that, not the composer. Araujo was told by Konami to abandon the "effeminate image" the music older games gave.

Foffy

Banned
Lords of Shadow has a fantastic soundtrack, what's wrong with you people

For a Castlevania game, it has a massively boring and disappointing soundtrack. It doesn't even enter the same stratosphere as Michiru Yamane's works.

giggas

yep, it's indeed great fun.
shame the last level is stupidly difficult, i've been stuck for months.

Yeah that stage was hard as hell. Funny thing is, I got so good at that stage by the time I was able to finish it that I ended it with an S ranking. I imagine when you complete that stage, you will too.

For a Castlevania game, it has a massively boring and disappointing soundtrack. It doesn't even enter the same stratosphere as Michiru Yamane's works.

Lords doesn't have the typical CV soundtrack, but come on, that OST is incredible regardless. Easily one of the highlights of the game. Sure I would have liked some familiar tunes to show up, but what's there is fantastic.

This is one of the series' I wanted to see most on 3DS. What's been revealed so far sounds a lot different than what I'd expect but I'll hold out on passing judgment for now. Regardless, I'm excited!

Teknoman

Blame Konami for that, not the composer. Araujo was told by Konami to abandon the "effeminate image" the music older games gave.

Effeminate? Who would think any of the past themes fit in that category? Lords of Shadow didnt sound anything like God of War, but to call the classic themes effeminate? Were they just talking about the stuff from Yamane or even before her involvement?

Oh so thats why the LOS ost was forgettable and boring. I really liked LOS but the music was terrible, sounded like every other typical orchestral composition out there. Honestly game music needs to be game music (meaning memorable)

Becasue people will take a catchy ringtone tune over a masterfully created orchestra symphony any time of the day

Agree to disagree, there was nothing "masterful" in my opinion about the LOS ost. You want masterful composition check out Hitoshi Sakimoto, and there was noting about Yamane's work on SotN that was cell phone material (not that you said there was).

Smellycat

Oh so thats why the LOS ost was forgettable and boring. I really liked LOS but the music was terrible, sounded like every other typical orchestral composition out there. Honestly game music needs to be game music (meaning memorable)

Finally someone agrees with me!! LOS OST was very forgettable and I couldn't tell the difference between the tracks. It was epic, but forgettable.

Go listen to the soundtrack of SOTN, LOI and COD if you want to hear awesome music.

Foffy

Banned
Effeminate? Who would think any of the past themes fit in that category? Lords of Shadow didnt sound anything like God of War, but to call the classic themes effeminate? Were they just talking about the stuff from Yamane or even before her involvement?

I have no idea, but Araujo has mentioned how Konami told him to make the music "dark" and "aggressive" to contrast the image the music has had in the past. In doing so, the game has what is quite easily the most forgettable soundtrack of the entire franchise, and that's not to berate Araujo's work, as some of the themes he does are pretty good. But they're nearly entry-level tier compared to the tracks the series has had in the past.

Belmont's Theme can barely compete with nearly any of Yamane's tracks for Curse of Darkness.

KevinCow

Banned
Now, most importantly: will it have a sweet-ass soundtrack that Castlevania games have been known for, or more God of War-sounding crap?

Have you actually ever heard the music in a God of War game, or are you just generalizing based on ignorant assumptions?

This is very memorable for me, and stays on constant repeat. I love it, just like I love Bloody Tears from Super Castlevania 4.

Belmonts Theme

But you know, the awards that Arujo won, you know, those mean nothing, because you know his work is simply brilliant, its not "Castlevania".

jett

D-Member

Wait a second while I massively roll my eyes at you. The music in LOS fits the game perfectly and is beautifully composed and orchestrated. Oh noes it doesn't sound anything like Yamane's style this obviously means it's shitcakes.

Maedhros

Lords doesn't have the typical CV soundtrack, but come on, that OST is incredible regardless. Easily one of the highlights of the game. Sure I would have liked some familiar tunes to show up, but what's there is fantastic.

It's not the type of soundtrack I expect from Castlevania. LoI and CoD were better in that aspect.

Instro

Every track I have heard is a pretty dull composition. Perhaps it is good by normal game soundtrack standards but certainly not as interesting as what has previously done with the series both in 2D and 3D titles. Yamane not doing the soundtrack would be a massive disappointment.

Finally someone agrees with me!! LOS OST was very forgettable and I couldn't tell the difference between the tracks. It was epic, but forgettable.

Go listen to the soundtrack of SOTN, LOI and COD if you want to hear awesome music.

I'm surprised no one else does. The OST was typical orchestra music, predictable swells and drops to single instruments, predictable pacing and nothing that really sticks with you. Again if you want masterful composition check out Hitoshi Sakimoto (FFXII and Valkyria Chronicles).

This is very memorable for me, and stays on constant repeat. I love it, just like I love Bloody Tears from Super Castlevania 4.

Belmonts Theme

But you know, the awards that Arujo won, you know, those mean nothing, because you know his work is simply brilliant, its not "Castlevania".

I'm not saying his collective work is terrible but his composition for LOS sounded almost phoned in

Foffy

Banned
Wait a second while I massively roll my eyes at you. The music in LOS fits the game perfectly and is beautifully composed and orchestrated. Oh noes it doesn't sound anything like Yamane's style this obviously means it's shitcakes.

The point is most of Lords music sounds like background noise and rarely stands out on its own. I only mentioned Yamane is because her tracks very easily can stand out on their own, in a sense that they pop out more instead of just being "there", which is where most of the tracks lie for Lords.

Yeah that stage was hard as hell. Funny thing is, I got so good at that stage by the time I was able to finish it that I ended it with an S ranking. I imagine when you complete that stage, you will too.
Inspiring words, I may just give it another shot tonight.

Becasue people will take a catchy ringtone tune over a masterfully created orchestra symphony any time of the day

We should be able to have both, catchy and memorable Orchestration (works for both SMG games).
LoS only gets the orchestra part of that equation and just sounds generic for the most part as it blurs into one even if it's well performed
On top of that most themes are inserted into the game almost randomly. Pretty sure the waterfall music started up in the titan graveyard and then just vanished after an enemy encounter leaving me with silence from that point onwards.

Sagitario

Well, for me it was a little disappointing because of 2 reasons:
1. Too short, which takes us to the next reason:
2. Too repetitive [reused the same tunes over and over].

I think the quality and composition are excellent (it's Araujo, after all), I just wished there was more of it.

Top Bottom