• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Power Holiday 2009 (Zelda - Spirit Tracks, NSMB, Monster Hunter)

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
tetrisgrammaton said:
They said you can only save mid-world and after clearing a world, until after you complete the game, after which you can save anywhere. The implication is that it makes it too hard.

Thats something else they mentioned. It's probably the hardest Mario ever.

Which is not true at all, since you can make suspended save-states, similar to Fire Emblem and other games.
What I mean is that you can save at any time but once you reprise playing from that save, the savestate itself will disappear so that you can't start from there over and over.

It's perfect actually, and way better than NSMB DS (which was exactly like NP describes the NSMBWii one, plus you could also save after spending coins at Toad's houses).

AniHawk

Amir0x said:
AniHawk just equates genres he sucks at as lacking entertainment value.

That is why whenever he gets the chance, he champions racing games which require no skill.

Amir0x, I didn't know you thought going round in circles for hours on end was fun. Seriously, I had no idea you were a Republican.

AniHawk said:
Amir0x, I didn't know you thought going round in circles for hours on end was fun. Seriously, I had no idea you were a Republican.
gymnastics-lol-fail.gif

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
grandjedi6 said:
solution: don't sign out!

Well I doubt anybody signs out in this day and age... I guess I meant when we hit up GAF tomorrow. Sorry for the confusion everyone!

Amir0x said:
And that was my biggest fear for this game. I hope this is just Nintendo Power sucking ass as usual, but this was exactly the vibe I got from all the videos - it had absolutely none of that Silent Hill atmospheric creepiness. The ice motiff simply does not work well.

The reviewer's point of contention isn't the atmosphere. He says the game is "uncomfortable and unsettling" and speaks favorably of the surroundings. The problem is that the game lacks tension because the player is only in danger during the chase set pieces, causing the player to second guess the game and break the illusion. Well, he doesn't say ALL that, but that's what he means.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
EmCeeGramr said:
you know a silent hill game that takes place in a happy sunny location filled with normal people, but suddenly turns crazy or evil for short periods of time (or slowly degrades into an uninhabited nightmare world over the course of the game) would actually be a really neat idea
This was actually the original concept Team Silent had for Silent Hill 5 (well, sort of).

tetrisgrammaton said:
The reviewer's point of contention isn't the atmosphere. He says the game is "uncomfortable and unsettling" and speaks favorably of the surroundings. The problem is that the game lacks tension because the player is only in danger during the chase set pieces, causing the player to second guess the game and break the illusion. Well, he doesn't say ALL that, but that's what he means.
Which means zero replay value, since you'd basically know when each scripted chase sequence is going to happen -_-'

Amir0x said:
for the next Silent Hill I hope it takes place in a sunny beach, and is all about talking to people and completing Professor Layton-esque brain benders.

That sounds awesome. You really can't go wrong with more Professor Layton, and Silent Hill seems like the perfect companion to it.

But yeah, atmosphere is really important in anything scary, be it a book, a movie, or a video game. ~.~

scitek

So SH is completely devoid of any tension because they said it isn't scary? I mean, with a franchise this old, there are a lot things it has to do right in order to be considered a successful SH game, and they gave it an 8, so I'd guess it's probably pretty faithful to the rest of the series.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
scitek said:
So SH is completely devoid of any tension because they said it isn't scary? I mean, with a franchise this old, there are a lot things it has to do right in order to be considered a successful SH game, and they gave it an 8, so I'd guess it's probably pretty faithful to the rest of the series.
They basically said you can't get hurt outside certain sequences, and this could be a pretty hard blow to the overall tension.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
the save system thing is silly. the game lets you save whenever you want. it's one of those 'hard-stop' saves though, as in, when you save, the game quits, and then when you relod the save is deleted. it's the sort of save system that should be an option in any game that has save points or the like.

it's basically perfect for the type of game NSMBW is.

edit: I see others have covered this. Still, it needs to be restated. What a silly thing to complain about.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Rez said:
the save system thing is silly. the game lets you save whenever you want.
Well, in his defense, how could the guy know? He would have needed to play the game to notice.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Jocchan said:
Well, in his defense, how could the guy know? He would have needed to play the game to notice.
heh, that's a shame, the game is disgustingly good. it single-handedly made me remember why I liked 2D Mario games in the first-place. It's just so good.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Rez said:
heh, that's a shame, the game is disgustingly good. it single-handedly made me remember why I liked 2D Mario games in the first-place. It's just so good.
Please, don't remind me I'll have to wait till Friday (it comes out on the 20th here) to play it :(

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
GrotesqueBeauty said:
Q: How did you feel about NSMB?
I was super-disappointed with NSMB. It just felt really uninspired, I guess? There wasn't that creative flair to the level design that I associate with golden-era 2D Mario. NSMBW has that in spades.

I also really love the multiplayer, but even if it was omitted, I'd still be posting the same opinions on the game as I am now. Single-player mode is just pure 2D Mario goodness, whereas the multi is just so much damn fun. The drop-in/drop-out style to the whole thing is just so smooth. The two experiences [single and multi] couldn't be any more different, which is odd, given that you play through the same levels.

I can't stop gushing about the game. Buy it, basically.

Rez said:
I was super-disappointed with NSMB. It just felt really uninspired, I guess? There wasn't that creative flair to the level design that I associate with golden-era 2D Mario. NSMBW has that in spades.

I also really love the multiplayer, but even if it was omitted, I'd still be posting the same opinions on the game as I am now. Single-player mode is just pure 2D Mario goodness, whereas the multi is just so much damn fun. The drop-in/drop-out style to the whole thing is just so smooth. The two experiences [single and multi] couldn't be any more different, which is odd, given that you play through the same levels.

I can't stop gushing about the game. Buy it, basically.
Ugnh. Don't stop... I'm so close...

Seriously though, that is good to hear, and reinforces the lovely impressions I've been reading from people who were left a bit cold by NSMB but dig NSMB Wii. I'm trying to keep my hype level down until my copy arrives (*shakes fist at Amazon*), but it is a relief to hear it's not just a robotic rehash of NSMB from multiple sources.

tetrisgrammaton said:
The issue also contains an interview with George Kamitani of Vanillaware, although I've read too many of these lately to bother with NP's interview, which are typically insipid.

Flying_Phoenix said:
Anyone got any details? Last I heard he was making another (2D) game.

Hello?

Rez said:

Cool, glad I'm choosing Darkside over it.

What? Another hub dungeon in Zelda? Ok, you don't have to do it all over again every single fucking time but since when do we need one dungeon to return to in these games? This was never the case in any Zelda and it was perfectly fine. Being portable doesn't make more sense in terms of some really irritating design choice.

Vagabundo

I'm currently playing through SMB3 on VC for the first time ever. It is turning out to be my favourite mario game, I'm wondering how NSMWii will hold up.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Vagabundo said:
I'm currently playing through SMB3 on VC for the first time ever. It is turning out to be my favourite mario game, I'm wondering how NSMWii will hold up.

How I wish I were you at the moment.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
While it wasn't the first time I played SMB3, playing through (to completion) SMB3 on the VC now isn't really that special of an experience. Imo.

Bizzyb

Banned
Tyrant_Onion said:
I'm surprised that no one thinks that a completely frozen world could be unnerving.

Whenever I look at ice cubes, I get a chill down mt spine.

And ya know, this is just one guy's opinion. Who is to say NOTHING scares him in a videogame? I'd take that comment with a grain of salt.

Tiktaalik

GrotesqueBeauty said:
Ugnh. Don't stop... I'm so close...

Seriously though, that is good to hear, and reinforces the lovely impressions I've been reading from people who were left a bit cold by NSMB but dig NSMB Wii. I'm trying to keep my hype level down until my copy arrives (*shakes fist at Amazon*), but it is a relief to hear it's not just a robotic rehash of NSMB from multiple sources.

Yeah it's fantastic to know that it's a step above NSMB. Even just looking at a short segment of some of the play by play videos that Giant Bomb and 1up have done shows pretty clearly that it is much more creative and complex than NSMB DS ever was. One video I saw showed a bit of world 6, and it looked about as insane and clever as any late game Mario World level.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Regulus Tera said:

Let me be honest, I'd be marvelled if it did that in a year.
It had a guaranteed rate base of 435,000 in 2005 and an initial circulation of 300,000 in 2007. I think they far outdo your expectations.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
grandjedi6 said:
It had a guaranteed rate base of 435,000 in 2005 and an initial circulation of 300,000 in 2007. I think they far outdo your expectations.

we still talking 'bout sin and punishment man?

m3k

Andrex said:
While it wasn't the first time I played SMB3, playing through (to completion) SMB3 on the VC now isn't really that special of an experience. Imo.

best mario ever

just saying

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
what's the anti-derivative of 1/cabin?

Log cabin?

No! It's a house boat, you forgot to add the C!

Kill me.

Top Bottom