• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Power - June 2008

I hope the Wii version doesn't have this 'werewolf' gameplay that they're supposedly putting in the PS3/360 version.

That doesn't interest me whatsoever.

Amir0x

Banned
SonicMegaDrive said:
I hope the Wii version doesn't have this 'werewolf' gameplay that they're supposedly putting in the PS3/360 version.

that's kinda Sonic Unleashed whole thing

TreIII

Amir0x said:
(Interesting development that Wii version is being handled by the people who did Sonic Rush/Sonic Rush Adventure, the only good Sonic games in a decade.)

This. (Well, except the notion that that Rush and Rush Adventure were the only good Sonic games in a decade...Ami, have you ever played Pocket Adventure and Advance?)

For these last few years, Dimps has been the only ones who actually been putting out consistently decent Sonic games, starting from Sonic Pocket Adventure on the NGPocket, the Advance series, and now, up to Sonic Rush Adventure.

Having them behind the Wii version pretty much guarantees that it will at least be a decent game. It will still be very much the same "hold forward and run like hell" thing that has permeated the series since Advance 2, but if it can still be a decent game, then so be it...

Amir0x

Banned
TreIII said:
This. (Well, except the notion that that Rush and Rush Adventure were the only good Sonic games in a decade...Ami, have you ever played Pocket Adventure and Advance?)

Yes, sucked. Pretty dramatically too.

TreIII said:

For these last few years, Dimps has been the only ones who actually been putting out consistently decent Sonic games, starting from Sonic Pocket Adventure on the NGPocket, the Advance series, and now, up to Sonic Rush Adventure.

Having them behind the Wii version pretty much guarantees that it will at least be a decent game. It will still be very much the same "hold forward and run like hell" thing that has permeated the series since Advance 2, but if it can still be a decent game, then so be it...

Dimps did Pocket Adventure? Didn't know that!

SonicMegaDrive said:

No, in the Wii version, you turn into a cuddly bunny instead.

Etrian Odyssey II: Heroes of Lagaard

Not much new info for those of you following the Japanese thread, but here are the main points:

- 30 levels
- warp points within each 5 floor stratum (not only at the beginning)
- interrupt save feature
- rest feature to redistribute skills with a 5 level penalty
- ability to strafe
- some FOEs disappear from your map and walk through walls
- need to use items and abilities to lure FOEs toward you
- no experience points for beating FOEs (what?)
- talk about new classes and so forth that we already know

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
from that banned nintendo site:

GN said:
Summery coming from this month’s Nintendo Power:

- Star Power is controlled by either blowing into the mic or press any direction on the D-pad.
- Power-ups are activated by double tapping on their icon in battle mode

Venues: Subway, Rooftop, Parade.

Songs:
- Do What You Want - OK Go
- All The Small Things - Blink 182
- Spiderwebs - No Doubt
- Are You Gona Be My Girl - Jet
- We’re Not Gonna Take It - Twisted Sister
- All Star - Smash Mouth
- Breed - Nirvana
- Jessie’s Girl - Rick Springfield
- Hit Me With Your Best Shot - Pat Benatar
- This Love - Maroon 5
- Heaven - Los Lonely Boys
- Helicopter - Bloc Party
- China Grove - The Doobie Brothers
- Rock and Roll All Nite - KISS (cover by Line 6)
- What I Want - Daughtry

VC Poll Results:

Readers Most Wanted
1. Earthbound
2. Super Mario RPG
3. Chrono Trigger
4. Mother
5. Majoras Mask

NP Staff
1. Mega Man: The Wily Wars
2. Terranigma
3. FF6
4. Super Mario RPG
5. Rocket Knight Adventures

jj984jj said:
What's Potpourri?

Tidbits:

- Created by Dutch game develops Ralph Egas and Erik Bastianen
- Playing field is hollow stump surrounded by the elements of the four seasons
- Get the seasons back on track by hitting objects that represent one season with elements that evoke the season (to wipe out winter snow you would hit it with spring green)
- Employs Wii remote pointer and a single button
- Hope to release by summer

Lets just say it better be 500 points. More flash game than anything. Of course this is a tiny preview with a tiny tiny picture that doesn't show jack.

ivysaur12

Banned
GreenNight said:
VC Poll Results:

Readers Most Wanted
1. Earthbound
2. Super Mario RPG
3. Chrono Trigger
4. Mother
5. Majoras Mask

NP Staff
2. Terranigma
3. FF6
4. Super Mario RPG

Hah.

Also, what was the JGAF consensus on Time Hollow?

Jiggy

Hooray for Time Hollow.
I'm not sure whether to be happy because they gave a 7.5 to a relative obscurity like Summon Night: Twin Age or worried because they also gave a 7.5 to Pokemon Mystery Dungeon 2, which is a genre that's much further away from most reviewers' tastes--especially when I really didn't care for the first PMD too much. Oh well... I'll probably buy Summon Night regardless.

GreenNight said:
VC Poll Results:

Readers Most Wanted
1. Earthbound
2. Super Mario RPG
3. Chrono Trigger
4. Mother
5. Majoras Mask

NP Staff
2. Terranigma
3. FF6
4. Super Mario RPG
At least they got some things right. (SMRPG, Chrono Trigger, and Final Fantasy VI would also be right, except that they're never, ever going to happen since this is Square-Enix we're talking about.)

Jiggy37 said:
Hooray for Time Hollow.
I'm not sure whether to be happy because they gave a 7.5 to a relative obscurity like Summon Night: Twin Age or worried because they also gave a 7.5 to Pokemon Mystery Dungeon 2, which is a genre that's much further away from most reviewers' tastes--especially when I really didn't care for the first PMD too much. Oh well... I'll probably buy Summon Night regardless.

Summon Night: Swordcraft Story and Summon Night: Swordcraft Story 2 both got 8's from Nintendo Power, and were both really great games, well above their 7.7-8.0 averages on Gamerankings. I know Twin Age is in a completely different genre, but considering, it's a decent score.

At least they got some things right. (SMRPG, Chrono Trigger, and Final Fantasy VI would also be right, except that they're never, ever going to happen since this is Square-Enix we're talking about.)

Hey, Rocket Knight Adventures and Mega Man: The Wily Wars are great too... all of those games should be on VC.

Summon Night:

+ Combat is simple, responsive, plenty of depth (better than Phantom Hourglass)
+ Two distinct playable characters
+ Excellent graphics, quality voice work and story

- No towns, tools or puzzles
- Dungeons are repetitious
- Bad AI (cheap bosses and CPU controlled character is a moron)
- No co-op

Gauntlet:

- Four character types
- Choose characters color (WOW!)
- 40 levels
- Four players locally or through Wifi
- VOIP
- Graphics given 3D makeover
- Three multiplayer modes; deathmatch, team deathmatch and treasure horde

Meesh

No Wii screens. Says the game will primarily focus on 2D gameplay. The Wii release is handled from a different group than 360/PS3. The same people that did Sonic Rush and Sonic Rush Adventure will be doing the Wii version. The Wii version will have different levels and gameplay elements.

Amen, there is a god:D

Jiggy

A Black Falcon said:
Hey, Rocket Knight Adventures and Mega Man: The Wily Wars are great too... all of those games should be on VC.
Haven't played either, so I can't vouch for them. I wouldn't doubt Mega Man, though, and I think I remember Rocket Knight Adventures being mentioned a lot around here.

batbeg

Bleh, I hate the Sonic Rush games. Hope this one isn't full of pointless hold-right and pitfall galore gameplay as they'll presumably be following the design from the other versions.

apotema

Death_Born said:
ng4zdc.jpg

:lol :lol :lol :lol

-MB-

Top Spin 3 a 7, a shame another chance at a proper tennis game with wii sports tennis like awesomeness down the drain :/

AniHawk

GreenNight said:
VC Poll Results:

Readers Most Wanted
1. Earthbound
2. Super Mario RPG
3. Chrono Trigger
4. Mother
5. Majoras Mask

NP Staff
2. Terranigma
3. FF6
4. Super Mario RPG

NP Staff > Readers

Lobster said:
We need more on this..

I thought there would be no chance it would be good.

Is Nintendo Power the tough reviewing magazine or was that ONM? I forget.

I'll get some more info when I get home from work in something like 10 hours.

Mdk7

what do they say about We Ski?
I was thinking about getting a copy since i have 2 balance boards (mine and my GF's one) but with that score... :/

Sule

Mdk7 said:
what do they say about We Ski?
I was thinking about getting a copy since i have 2 balance boards (mine and my GF's one) but with that score... :/

Unfortunately the balance board can only be used in singleplayer. So even if you have two boards you can't use them at the same time for a multiplayer match.

Top Bottom