• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo recommends opening Wii U and perform system update before gifting to others

Coolwhip

Banned
What's wrong with giving this tip? The update is there, not much Nintendo can do now. Some people jump on anything.

Takao

Banned
It's an embarrassing admission for a device that launched weeks ago, not months ago but still sound advice given the situation.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
Is it confirmed that you can't get a Wii to run without ever connecting to the internet?

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
I've given the same advice.
That hour long update can be irritating, and their servers will be hammered over the holidays - best get it done earlier.

I updated the WiiU I got for the family.. I knew better than to have the boys wake up Christmas morning, and not be able to play until Christmas afternoon!! I did the Wii system transfer, set up their profiles...everything. Now they can enjoy playing with it, Miiverse & all of the features without delay (or waiting extra long for the servers being hammered on Christmas Day!)

Alex

Needs one of those old "Geek Squad" deals from best buy, where they'll hookup your console for you and update it for $150 bucks or something.

Salsa

I fail to see what's so wrong about this, its good advice, specially if you're gifting to someone who isnt tech-savy/doesnt have a constant internet connection

am I missing something?

Lyude77

is it easy to repackage? Once I pull shit out IT never goes back right. The kids will know, they will know.

Yes, I did this twice, and everything fit back in the box perfectly. The kids may still be able to tell, though, depending on how good you are at folding cords (you have to charge the gamepad and plug the WU into the wall, so you have to unpack the chargers).

Best Buy? Target? Pretty much anywhere? They don't accept electronics returns once they've been opened. If there's a defect, you contact the manufacturer (ie Nintendo)

All of those places will accept returned electronics if they've been opened.

It's software they won't accept opened.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
It's actually a good idea for Wii U, new tablet, phone, whatever. Almost all of these devices have substantial improvements in OTA updates, and yeah sometimes they're big.

Sandfox

/thread

Buying this brand new 2013 Ford Focus for your kid, eh?

Might wanna take it by the shop for a good tune up before you give it to her. Just in case.

Most consoles/devices have day one updates so its not really as big of a deal as a lot of people in this thread is making it. The real issue is how long it takes for it to do the update.

jaypah

It's hilarious but I did the same the thing for a friend. Bought him GT5 and couldn't let him go through that install being excited and all.

So you broke into his house and secretly updated his PS3? Or did you magically put the update on the actual disc? Both options are funny.

on topic: I think this is great advice. Shit took me an hour to download and install.

I'll go with this being the worst analogy I have ever heard.

but points for using a car analogy.

I fail to see what's so wrong about this, its good advice, specially if you're gifting to someone who isnt tech-savy/doesnt have a constant internet connection

It's actually not that terrible. I was just piling on.

My mom and dad pretty much assembled everything Christmas Eve so I could play it immediately and that was nice of em.

Regardless, I'll take whatever opportunity to rib Nintendo that I can get.

1356109996716.gif

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
Hopefully with future OS versions and newer manufactured units they can have it to a point where any new updates are downloaded in the background and you just get a prompt to install it once you've been playing with your Xmas/B-day Wii U for a few hours.

Alex

Well, even if it was a reasonable process it's good advice, but there really is no excuse for it taking an hour+ to pull down and install a 1GB file.

Have heard plenty of horror stories from people trying to download full games, as well. Sounds worse than early PS3 fare, and in an era where I get slightly cranky while Steam downloads at 4 megs a second it's a good thing I stick to discs only for consoles.

Well, even if it was a reasonable process it's good advice, but there really is no excuse for it taking an hour+ to pull down and install a 1GB file.

Have heard plenty of horror stories from people trying to download full games, as well. Sounds worse than early PS3 fare, and in an era where I get slightly cranky while Steam downloads at 4 megs a second it's a good thing I stick to discs only for consoles.

I don't know about the initial update, but game download speed have increased significantly for me over the past week. System update may be a lot quicker now.

Takao

Banned
How is it embarrassing?

Because Wii U isn't all that old, and a consumer probably would expect the ones on store shelves to be of the latest firmware given this is such a young device. Nintendo has said that isn't going to be the case for a while.

Arkam

It's good advice, I'm not sure what the "internet spin" here is going for?

Thats what I was thinking. Its good advice if you want to makes sure you recipient can game right away Xmas morning. This forum has been foaming at the mouth for any reason to hate on teh Wiiu since launch. Makes no sense really, its a great little device. I think most of them should take teh time to actually play with a WiiU before hating it so blindly.

Its so funny how everyone acts like the Xbox360/PS3 launched with all the features and services they have in place now. I shouldn't have to remind you, but there was no game invites on PS3 for the first year and a half. Trophies came equally late. Netflix/Hulu came to Xbox years after launch. And both had you download OS updates just about anytime you bought one. Helli my Xbox Slim i got 3 months ago did not come with the latest OS updates. The Wii U has been out for 1 month... give it a break.

Alex

Thats what I was thinking. Its good advice if you want to makes sure you recipient can game right away Xmas morning. This forum has been foaming at the mouth for any reason to hate on teh Wiiu since launch. Makes no sense really, its a great little device. I think most of them should take teh time to actually play with a WiiU before hating it so blindly.

Its so funny how everyone acts like the Xbox360/PS3 launched with all the features and services they have in place now. I shouldn't have to remind you, but there was no game invites on PS3 for the first year and a half. Trophies came equally late. Netflix/Hulu came to Xbox years after launch. And both had you download OS updates just about anytime you bought one. Helli my Xbox Slim i got 3 months ago did not come with the latest OS updates. The Wii U has been out for 1 month... give it a break.

I think it's reasonable to expect better infrastructure in 2012 as opposed to 2005.

NeoRausch

pfffrrrtt.... Real Protip: Disable Internet for christmas. enjoy your family and the game and let the console update over night.

consumers, smh.

Row

Banned
Best Buy? Target? Pretty much anywhere? They don't accept electronics returns once they've been opened. If there's a defect, you contact the manufacturer (ie Nintendo)

All of them take opened electronics, but some charge of restocking fee of typically 15%

Fredrik

Gahiggidy Tip: Make an Mii of the person you are giving it to ahead of time (or transfer it from an old Wii/3DS). That way the first time they boot up the machine they will see themselves in the center of Wara Wara plaza with hundreds of other Miis running past to the those game and app tiles.
Haha that's actually a fantastic advice :)

I'm guessing this is a tip to parents. You know, like assembling a bike instead of giving the kids a box.

Yup. When I woke up Christmas morning to my Sega Genesis as a kid, "Santa" had already hooked it up to the big TV in the living room, stuck Sonic the Hedgehog into the cartridge slot, and powered that shit on for me to wake up first thing in the morning to play 16-bit goodness. This is pretty much the same thing.

Gahiggidy

Because Wii U isn't all that old, and a consumer probably would expect the ones on store shelves to be of the latest firmware given this is such a young device. Nintendo has said that isn't going to be the case for a while.

That's unreasonable. Nintendo would have had to have finished working on the OS before even the first units started rolling off the assembly line (sometime back in Summer, I presume).

KungFucius

King Snowflake
Manufacturing #WiiU? Pro-tip: Perform system updates before shipping so it's good to go as soon as it's opened!

This is not possible. The device was specced out and manufactured months ago it will always ship with an old firmware unless there are no updates for a while.

Top Bottom